Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Ya the Jays are a large market team and in the 90s acted like it when they were winning the World Series with the largest payrolls in baseball. They've started to act like it again, and the renos are a big part of that. Rogers makes a killing on them through their TV contract. No-one even knows how much they make off of that, but they draw better nightly than any team in baseball at ~900k per game (which rivals national games in the US).

They print money, Rogers has just finally decided to leverage it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

I don’t think Shohei is going to care a flip about flight times seeing as he can fly on a plane with a two story apartment inside it.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
does shohei really want to play in canada and get paid in fake money :v:

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I think it was also Heyman dropping some "don't count out Atlanta on Ohtani" stuff yesterday that pretty quickly got a "no, go ahead and count them out" report from Mark Bowman.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I haven't trusted a single word from Heyman since he spent the entire CBA negotiation carrying water for the owners and making GBS threads on the players for being "greedy", and it hasn't steered me wrong yet.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Shinjobi posted:

According to my sources the Texas Rangers are the best baseball team in the world.

Still feels good. Creed, your writeup is this weekend. For realsies.

Oh god I still need to get to mine. I promise it’s coming by spring training!

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Heyman is good for Boras info because he is just a mouthpiece for Boras

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
If it's as widely believed among front offices as it is among everyone else--which, given how many teams have more or less dropped out after a couple conversations, it might be--that Ohtani is obviously going to the Dodgers, it's very much in the owners' collective best interests that there not be a second team strongly trying to sign him and driving up the price on what will already be a record shattering contract.

I could easily see Arte Moreno doing it anyway, out of sheer gently caress-the-Dodgers spite. The Rogers Communications megaconglomerate... not so much. So I'm skeptical they'll really go hard after Ohtani. But it's interesting that they appear to be the second strongest contender right now. 15 years ago they probably would have been the secret MYSTERY TEAM but in 2023 it's all but impossible for a sports team to keep under wraps that they're negotiating with the top free agent.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Dec 5, 2023

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Has there been any reason to think that Ohtani to the Dodgers is a foregone conclusion besides them having money and him already living in southern California?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I think that's pretty much it. What happened with the Giants? Did they drop out? I was expecting him to be a Giant since they've been itching to give out a massive contract the past couple years

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

If it's as widely believed among front offices as it is among everyone else--which, given how many teams have more or less dropped out after a couple conversations, it might be--that Ohtani is obviously going to the Dodgers, it's very much in the owners' collective best interests that there not be a second team strongly trying to sign him and driving up the price on what will already be a record shattering contract.

I could easily see Arte Moreno doing it anyway, out of sheer gently caress-the-Dodgers spite. The Rogers Communications megaconglomerate... not so much. So I'm skeptical they'll really go hard after Ohtani. But it's interesting that they appear to be the second strongest contender right now. 15 years ago they probably would have been the secret MYSTERY TEAM but in 2023 it's all but impossible for a sports team to keep under wraps that they're negotiating with the top free agent.

Eddie Rogers has strong-armed the board into doing what he wants over the last couple of years in order to be his dad. His dad loved the Jays and he seems to be trying to recreate the team in his image (Shapiro, the renos, spending into the tax for the first time).

Like I said, they're very obviously printing money on the cable side of things and getting Ohtani will only help that. The more they make, the more Eddie gets to run things as a visionary or whatever the gently caress he's selling himself as.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Intruder posted:

I think that's pretty much it. What happened with the Giants? Did they drop out? I was expecting him to be a Giant since they've been itching to give out a massive contract the past couple years

Nightengale (I know) just said the Angels, Blue Jays, Dodgers and Giants are still in, with the Cubs probably out.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

live with fruit posted:

Has there been any reason to think that Ohtani to the Dodgers is a foregone conclusion besides them having money and him already living in southern California?

I mean, that's all it takes for 99% of people anyway to switch jobs

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

live with fruit posted:

Nightengale (I know) just said the Angels, Blue Jays, Dodgers and Giants are still in, with the Cubs probably out.

:woop: Ohtani to the Cubs confirmed!!!

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!

Nodoze posted:

Rogers Communications is a multi billion dollar corporation, they can outspend any team if they wanted to

Keyword is "want". It's much harder to extract 500 million from a conglomerate corporation than a smaller ownership group. I definitely think the Blue Jays have a legitimate shot of landing Ohtani but getting that offer is going to be hard especially if Boras is pumping the ask last minute when competing against another team.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I could get this deal done for the Angels today. It's actually very simple.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/1732055159037972894?t=lhIY40ztlJHFYIEmq9ss1A

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

mdemone posted:

Wallet?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

MaoistBanker posted:

Keyword is "want". It's much harder to extract 500 million from a conglomerate corporation than a smaller ownership group. I definitely think the Blue Jays have a legitimate shot of landing Ohtani but getting that offer is going to be hard especially if Boras is pumping the ask last minute when competing against another team.

Typically yes, but Eddie Rogers runs Rogers as he sees fit. The CEO and board are yes men to him. He's the chairman of both Rogers itself and the Trust that controls Rogers and has replaced the entire board when they've defied him.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

mdemone posted:

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Typically yes, but Eddie Rogers runs Rogers as he sees fit. The CEO and board are yes men to him. He's the chairman of both Rogers itself and the Trust that controls Rogers and has replaced the entire board when they've defied him.

And I meant Borasesque, not Boras specifically. It just presents more challenges see: The Philadelphia Flyers and Comcast.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

new phone wallpaper

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Latest Athletic podcast is speculating nothing will happen until Ohtani signs. How true does that seem?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Both him and the cubs are doing a dumb dumb by not continuing. That marriage worked, why gently caress with it?

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

lmao

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Intruder posted:

Apparently Ohtani followed Logan Webb on Instagram the other day and Giants fans were giddy. This is where we're at in the off-season.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Report by Bob that the Cubs may be out of the Shohei Sweepstakes

https://twitter.com/bnightengale/status/1732093251501318571?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

So he's about to be My Friend, then. Neat.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Latest Athletic podcast is speculating nothing will happen until Ohtani signs. How true does that seem?

I mean nothing has happened so true so far.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

mcmagic posted:

Both him and the cubs are doing a dumb dumb by not continuing. That marriage worked, why gently caress with it?

Cody is going to be a late signing unless some team that whiffs on higher profile FA's panics. Boras is asking for the moon for him, and teams including the Cubs are wary of giving him some $200-300M mega deal when his bounceback year was buoyed by him wildly over-performing his expected stats. Boras also made explicit comments at the GM meetings that Bellinger was not going to give the Cubs any kind of discount so they'd have to wade into the bidding war to retain him.

Also it's kinda tough to fit him in positionally since it sounds like the Cubs want to give PCA a real chance to stick it next year and the corners are locked up by Happ and Suzuki, so Bellinger would have to accept being the full time 1B where there's a lot more pressure on his bat than CF.

Sydin posted:

:woop: Ohtani to the Cubs confirmed!!!

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

This is excellent news.. for the Cubs!

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

this picture makes me laugh every time

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Eddie Rogers is the exact kind of egomaniacal jackass billionaire failson that would blow stupid amounts of money on whatever dumb thing crossed his path and lose the family fortune. Maybe he accidentally blows it on something cool this time.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

live with fruit posted:

This is all speculation, but I don't think already living in the area is a big part of it. He seems to have a general geographic preference for the west coast, though not enough to ignore Chicago and Toronto but enough to ignore New York I guess. The Dodgers assumption revolves around money and organizational competence.

On the money front, it's not just that the Dodgers CAN afford him, it's also that they've tried very hard to get him twice before (straight out of high school and again when he first came over). He's been a bit of a White Whale for the Dodgers FO for a long time, so people assume they will be willing to do whatever it takes to get him. This is not always the case with the Dodgers and top free agents, but it is with Ohtani.

The other part is people assume that if his priority was total control over his program and familiarity, he'd have signed an extension with Anaheim already. But since he hasn't, and since he has appeared visibly frustrated with the team's performance in recent years, many assume he wants to win. The Dodgers offer him a near-guaranteed postseason spot every year, and simultaneously the opportunity to play hero for a team that many consider underperformers.

All of this is just speculation based on industry consensus of various clues. I don't think the Dodgers were ever the inevitable spot that they've often been portrayed as and I'm still very fearful he ends up in SF.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Dec 5, 2023

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

I think I probably believe in Bellinger's 2023 more than I should, but man Seattle would be a bad home park for him to keep overpeforming his batted ball inputs.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Seattle would also be overpaying for a CF who will never play CF if Julio's able.

Seems more like a "Wouldn't that be nice?" connecting of the dots and Morosi filling air time than anything.

(I would love Bellinger to Seattle)

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

live with fruit posted:

We are in that weird moment that seems to last a long time but in the course of history will be remembered as that cosmically short moment after the 2023 season but before either 1) Shotani signs with the Dodgers like everyone expected or 2) he doesn't.

The Dodgers being assumed to be the foregone conclusion makes the period seem interminably long when in reality it's not, though I guess I need to see how long it took other big FA names to sign in comparison once he does sign somewhere.

Weather and fan support and global marketing activations and endorsements and all those other things aside, I think the strongest argument that the Dodgers make is their ability to continuously surround top talent with an inexplicably good farm system (Hey Kenley, you should try pitching, etc.) + the front's office's current track record of squeezing the very best baseball out of their trade acquisitions. Justin Turner, Chris Taylor, Max Muncy, and on and on and on.... https://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgers/story/2023-07-23/dodgers-farm-system-minor-leaguers-oklahoma-city

TL;DR: , the Dodgers throw a poo poo TON of money at player development and so the Dodgers can point to a track record and say "Shohei, we will give you a chance to win, and it likely will be for the entirety of your next major league contract." with more confidence than anyone else in major league baseball. Lotta other teams catching up tho

MaoistBanker fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Dec 5, 2023

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

After 2018 Machado signed on February 21st

Harper signed on March 2nd

The next year Cole signed on December 18th

Two years ago Freddie Freeman signed with the Dodgers on March 18th

last year Aaron Judge signed December 20th, and that was basically "I know where I want to sign I just want to make them sweat enough to pay me top dollar"

Today is December 5th, so I'd say Ohtani is if anything ahead of the pace for top free agents.

edit: Turner and Seager both signed the first week of December

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Dec 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/Alden_Gonzalez/status/1732130050055503939

Hey that's not allowed.

Sorry Dodgers, but you broke the rules.