Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Going from playing this on Switch to PC with RT Ultra is a huge step up. Enemies like Ghouls look so different. Drowners. I never realized that Drowners have dongs. They flap in the wind. Winds howling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Going from playing this on Switch to PC with RT Ultra is a huge step up. Enemies like Ghouls look so different. Drowners. I never realized that Drowners have dongs. They flap in the wind. Winds howling.

Ray tracing technology has finally been justified.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

I think they just have crotchrot so bad it's sloughing off their groins. The drowners in Witcher 2 definitely hang dong though.

I've spent too long looking at video game monster genitals, the coroner who works with Geralt during the Carnal Sins quest would say I have a fixation.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
https://twitter.com/witchergame/status/1724774277264654337

quote:

We're thrilled to announce that we're working on a mod editor for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt! ⚔️

It will allow you to create your own experiences in the game by making something completely new or editing existing quests and content. We’re planning on releasing it for free in 2024.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

no thank you

one of the assassins creeds did this and it was 99% 'kill one enemy for 1 million XP' or 'someone has a very specific fetish they'd like you to roleplay'

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I mean, Witcher 3 has already like 6k mods on Nexus alone, so it's almost a certainty that all of those already exist. :v:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Wolfsheim posted:

no thank you

one of the assassins creeds did this and it was 99% 'kill one enemy for 1 million XP' or 'someone has a very specific fetish they'd like you to roleplay'

What you mean you don't want a mod to make Triss look like your avatar?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Arc Hammer posted:

Pretty sure those mods exist already too.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Arc Hammer posted:

This avatar was inflicted on me! I'm an innocent man!

Also I started this back up again on the cusp of Novigrad, and unless you're sociopathic I don't think Geralt slays a single monster in that city. The godling, the succubus, the doppler...all reasonably innocent and deserving of mercy.

In point of fact I'm starting to think the greatest monster in the city of Novigrad...is man himself?? :wth:

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
There are drowners in the sewer that just attack without a conversation!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Depending on your definition of vampire Geralt slays several "monsters" in Novigrad. Including one that just wanted to sleep until 1358

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Arc Hammer posted:

Depending on your definition of vampire Geralt slays several "monsters" in Novigrad. Including one that just wanted to sleep until 1358

Five playthroughs and I still never found that 1358 vampire.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Arc Hammer posted:

lol I literally never met the guy in three other playthroughs

I did forget about the high vampire in the serial killer quest, I think I was conflating it with the straightforward back alley vampire contract in Oxenfurt

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

yeah, its cool how its narratively consistent that in a major city, the only actual monsters there are scavengers and then the ones that can hide their appearance or are nonviolent and sneaky. The succubus is the one taking the biggest risks.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Wolfsheim posted:

Also I started this back up again on the cusp of Novigrad, and unless you're sociopathic I don't think Geralt slays a single monster in that city. The godling, the succubus, the doppler...all reasonably innocent and deserving of mercy.

In point of fact I'm starting to think the greatest monster in the city of Novigrad...is man himself?? :wth:

I killed the doppler on my first playthrough cause he essentially "drew down" on me.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Wolfsheim posted:

Well, there is the vampire.

But it's not like monsters generally live inside cities and settlements, and anything that's not really really good at hiding would've been found by the Inquisition.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I am still relatively early in my second playthrough and this time I'm killing all the monsters I spared the first go around. I slayed the Allgod. It actually is probably more fitting that he'd just be a dick and kill everything when he's the one looting every starving household in Velen for the last dumpling.

One thing that surprised me is that, in that quest where you fight the Nietzescheans who are defacing idols, you actually beat them to death. They die in a pool of blood. Last time I thought I accidentally killed them because I pulled out my sword by accident and just kept swinging.

Mulaney Power Move fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Nov 26, 2023

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Yup even if you go fists only, Geralt has had enough of edgy college students and decides to send a loving message.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Can't wait for that Skellige monster court quest. "Yeah, I killed a bunch of succubi and dopplers. I will kill you and take your stupid shoes."

Also love how all the bad guy dialogue options are some variation of "Get hosed"

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

you have become...the monsters

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I assumed this had gotten posted in this thread earlier but it doesn't seem like it.

Apropos of "the monster to other monsters".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPTe7aqDLB4

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
I preordered the official Witcher cookbook like a year ago and it surprise just showed up. Several years ago I was posting a bunch of dishes I made in this thread based off recipes found in Witcher 3, and while I’m slightly down none of the recipes in the cookbook seem to be based specifically off recipes from the books or games, there’s a bunch of very good looking recipes in there.

Be warned, like 3/4 of the entree recipes have pork, which I don’t eat.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I haven't laughed harder than I just did at that first sentence than I have in a long time. Thank you.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Recipes from the games? Is there a Velen chapter? They eat tree bark. You'll have splinters out your arse.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I've eaten bread made from pine bark flour. Classic East European famine food. It honestly wasn't that bad.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Surprised that half the recipes weren't just raw wolf meat and baked apples.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Surprised that half the recipes weren't just raw wolf meat and baked apples.

That's the cookbook for the new zelda

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
There, uh… is several baked apple recipes. The Velen section is mostly game meat and wild fruit.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I've eaten bread made from pine bark flour. Classic East European famine food. It honestly wasn't that bad.

It doesn't actually provide any nutrition I believe though. Not without some enzyme to break down the cellulose.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Velen has rabbits and deer just running around on the roads all over. What's the deal with all these peasants starving? I guess they're scared of monsters or bandits or whatever.

And what's the deal with Frischlow? I never noticed on Switch but it's full of like a dozen piles of corpses. Does all of Velen just go there to dump bodies or something?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Velen has rabbits and deer just running around on the roads all over. What's the deal with all these peasants starving? I guess they're scared of monsters or bandits or whatever.

And what's the deal with Frischlow? I never noticed on Switch but it's full of like a dozen piles of corpses. Does all of Velen just go there to dump bodies or something?

The wildlife is lightly overshown but the context is the major battle between Nilfgaard and Redania just happened, and presumably both armies raided local villages for their food stores, along with young men that would also be the local hunters. The locals have both immediate food insecurity that hunting might assuage slightly, but the bigger concern is the Baron's men are collecting what is left for their own use. They would also likely just steal and freshly killed deer, and then on top of it deserters and bandits are rampant due to the battle.

Frischollow is a casualty of the war and was raided and the survivors left. They are presumably among the refugees trying to get into Redania.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Isn't it also like around fall at the time when the game takes place? So it's not just about being able to eat on the day, they're looking at their food stocks (or lack thereof since the armies took most of it) and they're doing the numbers to see that they probably don't have enough to survive the long cold when no food is available but what they've stored, and even an onion is a luxury.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2Nu3iTFNbc

Aside from that, I think the density of monsters would make it nearly impossible to go too far into the forest since even one drowner can kill a level zero dirt farmer and the things are everywhere, but that's probably more the conceit of the game rather than a feature of the setting. Velenners go out into the woods plenty.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Rabbit famine. Also partially the reason why all the prepper fantasies are just that, fantasies.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Also they might not be able to legally hunt those animals, so they might also be scared of being caught and hanged for poaching.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

SlothfulCobra posted:

they're looking at their food stocks (or lack thereof since the armies took most of it)

I'm sure it also doesn't help when Geralt wanders in with a poorly configured Autoloot and hoovers every last potato out of their cabinets.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I'm sure it also doesn't help when Geralt wanders in with a poorly configured Autoloot and hoovers every last potato out of their cabinets.

something something law of surprise

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Has the DX12 version of Witcher 3 enhanced been improved or is it still a finicky beast?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Ainsley McTree posted:

Surprise! I'm in your house eating hour cabbage

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ainsley McTree posted:

"'Cor, the Witcher, 'e didn't take any money for killin' the 'Ag 'cause it woulda gone 'gainst 'is 'Witcher's Code' but I opened me cupboard an' found 'e took me baked apple!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Arc Hammer posted:

Has the DX12 version of Witcher 3 enhanced been improved or is it still a finicky beast?

So, this is what I've been playing on the new laptop, and it's hit or miss. It's not a HUGE problem, but it is finicky.

It does crash sometimes. If it does it's usually during the first loading screen. It has only crashed in the middle of the game for me twice after 50 hours of play. And then, maybe two or three times it's done this thing where I suddenly lose controller input and the keyboard commands don't work, so I have to hit the power button to get out. That could be a controller thing, because I'm using an X-Box controller that's known to have connection issues, but I haven't had any issues with other games.

One weird thing I've noticed is arrows getting stuck mid-air sometimes and last night I noticed a bow just hovering in the air randomly outside of the Rosemary and Thyme. I also noticed a cup just floating in the air at the Seven Cats Inn and then after the Gwent game with the innkeeper she just grabbed it from where it was hovering.

Really, the most annoying thing is that all of the sudden the music just stopped playing. It happened as soon as I loaded my first save in Skellige. When I played again the next day there was still no music in Skellige. When I fast traveled to Novigrad, the Novigrad music started up again and then stopped after wandering around a bit. Apparently, this is a longstanding glitch.

Playing off of GOG.