Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

The only times i ever recall saluting indoors or within the skin of a boat were during ceremonies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Crab Dad posted:

Y’all real navy are wild.
We don’t even have covers in indopacom and there’s 4 stars running around.

Back in the day, bridge watch was in SDBs.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
One time I sent my wheels man down because his balls were hanging out of his grateful dead daisy dukes. He flipped me the traditional one fingered salute on the way off the bridge.

Sorry my dude I don’t need to see your balls for four hours tyvm.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

You sure can tell the Merchant Marine operates different than the Navy.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

Can definitely tell crab dad lives in radio. People salute on the bridge all the time. The people on watch are covered. Skipper might or might not be if they're up there depends on how they feel.

Also, it's a dumb movie is the right answer.

Excuse me. The Last Ship isn't a dumb movie.

It's a dumb TV show.

As Mr. Nice! said, saluting in the pilot house is common. If someone is entering the pilothouse they salute and ask permission to enter, when you're turning over the watch you salute the Officer of the Deck, and officers get permission from the CO to turn over if the CO is up there.

But someone asking permission to salute the CO before everyone else after a speech? Sounds like dumb TV logic.

Apparently at least part of it was filmed on my friend's ship. He has photos with either the show's CO or XO (McSteamy or the CHUD Baldwin before he really came out as a CHUD).

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
never did nor saw anyone doing saluting poo poo on ye olde ustafish. you go down that hatch and that nonsense went away.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

The Valley Stared posted:

Excuse me. The Last Ship isn't a dumb movie.

It's a dumb TV show.

As Mr. Nice! said, saluting in the pilot house is common. If someone is entering the pilothouse they salute and ask permission to enter

That never happened on my cruiser but that doesn't mean the navy wasn't dumb elsewhere!

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Once we saved the ship everyone gathered around maneuvering and saluted us, they didn't clap though. Also the doors were still shut so we couldn't actually see the salutes but they were there, right around the corner.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I can’t recall ever asking permission to go onto the bridge but all the watchstanders were definitely covered.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
I usually wear a cover when I'm on a submarine bridge, but it's a North Face beanie.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Alp that formal poo poo was only for surface watch stations. As soon as we dove things got (slightly) less stupid

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Grip it and rip it posted:

Alp that formal poo poo was only for surface watch stations. As soon as we dove things got (slightly) less stupid

Was it worth it, just to avoid saluting?

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Saluting is dumb as gently caress and it's not even in the top 20 dumb things about being enlisted

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Lemniscate Blue posted:

That, the beards, the civilian T's under the poopie suits, the civilian ballcaps underway....yes.

All that PLUS $200 bucks a month extra. Every meal a feast, every payday a windfall and every field day a nap

I also served on two skimmers and there wasn't a lot of saluting once we were underway since you don't have to wear a hat underway. At least there didn't used to be. I think making the 8 o'clock reports required a salute but I'm pretty high right now so who knows if I'm even in the right thread.

tacopie
Apr 29, 2009

Serjeant Buzfuz posted:

Saluting is dumb as gently caress and it's not even in the top 20 dumb things about being enlisted

Your AV looks like a dumb kid who forgot his cover on his way to the smokepit.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Flyinglemur posted:

That, the beards, the civilian T's under the poopie suits, the civilian ballcaps underway....yes.

They stole our goddamn beards from us.

They did it in the most insulting way possible too, they didn't make a new regulation, they claimed that SUBPAC "recently became aware" "some submarines allowed sailors to violate regulations with regards to facial hair".

Motherfucker, you're a submarine officer, was your head jammed up your rear end for your entire career obstructing your vision? Just acknowledge that it was a tradition loved by the submarines force that is no longer tenable because you can't get a seal in an EAB.

Doesn't matter now I guess, I can grow all the beard I want.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

tacopie posted:

Your AV looks like a dumb kid who forgot his cover on his way to the smokepit.

loving lol too accurate

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Elviscat posted:

They stole our goddamn beards from us.

They did it in the most insulting way possible too, they didn't make a new regulation, they claimed that SUBPAC "recently became aware" "some submarines allowed sailors to violate regulations with regards to facial hair".

Motherfucker, you're a submarine officer, was your head jammed up your rear end for your entire career obstructing your vision? Just acknowledge that it was a tradition loved by the submarines force that is no longer tenable because you can't get a seal in an EAB.

Doesn't matter now I guess, I can grow all the beard I want.

wait, they took away underway beards?

was it someone butthurt about them removing smoking?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

we had no shave chits underway on surface ships, too, as long as it was long enough before our next port call. It was an MWR thing where you could buy one for $10 bucks or something that paid for steel beach picnics and the like.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

I can't remember if I had to salute the OOD when I went to the bridge or not, but I definitely had to ask for permission to enter and I definitely needed to remember to have my hat on me, so I'm guessing I did.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

There’s at least one e5 on the Nimitz with a glorious sloppy beard down to his belly button. Probably Jewish?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Lemniscate Blue posted:

No. Being a navy nuke electrician one a boat without SERPOS loving sucks very badly. gently caress the navy.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Only hat I ever wore on board was my hard hat. Occasionally a ballcap. I’m not much for hats, really.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

Crab Dad posted:

There’s at least one e5 on the Nimitz with a glorious sloppy beard down to his belly button. Probably Jewish?

Jewish, Muslim, Sikh, or a follower of Norse Paganism could all be the case (or medical), but the length you're describing sounds far more like a religious exemption.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

The Valley Stared posted:

Jewish, Muslim, Sikh, or a follower of Norse Paganism could all be the case (or medical), but the length you're describing sounds far more like a religious exemption.

We all jelly. You’d never peg him for a sailor out of uniform.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Hot drat I should have said I was a follower of Norse Paganism instead of NORELPREF

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

ded posted:

wait, they took away underway beards?

was it someone butthurt about them removing smoking?

Supposedly because some sailors couldn't fight the BHR fire because they had no shave chits.

No. Being a navy nuke electrician one a boat without SERPOS loving sucks very badly. gently caress the navy.

Instead of carbon dust everywhere, SERPOS and similar solid state power conversion equipment cause human poo poo to be everywhere, since they have a tendency to loving RANDOMLY EXPLODE.

Nothing like trying to get an R-134a back up after a drill and hearing *POP* *WHUMP* *PSSSSHHHHH* accompanied by a big, reeking cloud of capacitor smoke.

SSMGs rarely, if ever, exploded IME.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I have zero good experiences with solid state frequency converters. gently caress those things.

(I wound up in sick bay after ours literally went up in flames in the middle of a damage control drill).

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Elviscat posted:

We definitely had one join the skipjack diving team on mission. Luckily it only smoked parts we could replace underway rather than, you know, the many dozens of tons of angry spinning metal.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Elviscat posted:

Supposedly because some sailors couldn't fight the BHR fire because they had no shave chits.

Instead of carbon dust everywhere, SERPOS and similar solid state power conversion equipment cause human poo poo to be everywhere, since they have a tendency to loving RANDOMLY EXPLODE.

Nothing like trying to get an R-134a back up after a drill and hearing *POP* *WHUMP* *PSSSSHHHHH* accompanied by a big, reeking cloud of capacitor smoke.

You just have to get your SCBA vice tight on your head and it'll seal just fine. You're going to be operating with a splitting headache and might smell a little like burnt hair afterwards but beautiful things require sacrifice. Plus they are positive pressure so its not like you're getting smoke back.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Lol we had a 1 Farad capacitor blow in our transmitter cabinet one time and smoked out the bridge.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Yeah all the concerns about beards not working under an SCBA I found to be completely silly in reality.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Elviscat posted:

I'll take an exploding SERPOS 100% of the time. SSMGs are robust but dealing with their maintenance on top of all the other electrical maintenance on the boat was bullshit. I never got to watch a movie underway and I have 4 sea service ribbons.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

I'll take an exploding SERPOS 100% of the time. SSMGs are robust but dealing with their maintenance on top of all the other electrical maintenance on the boat was bullshit. I never got to watch a movie underway and I have 4 sea service ribbons.

If NE01 and WM01 actually did the maintenance on the machines that are in their workcenter it would be better, but every boat split MIPs them to EE01 because they can't trust anyone else to do the work competently.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
i could never remember the dumb salute rules so i just saluted anything that resembled officer ranks at all times because in a-school i was taught 'when in doubt whip it out' WOW glad i understood that meant saluting unlike someone of my classmates!

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Cerekk posted:

If NE01 and WM01 actually did the maintenance on the machines that are in their workcenter it would be better, but every boat split MIPs them to EE01 because they can't trust anyone else to do the work competently.

Coners are incompetent?!?! But the submarine force is elite...

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Elviscat posted:

thats bs. oba & eab has zero problems with some hair. if you had like a 3 or 4 inch long beard maybe it might have a problem

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/DavidSRoza/status/1732526809395102184?t=-EzcKKfvpZ8VujjFYVO7wQ&s=19

:smith:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Can’t really argue with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

My perspective is probably skewed since I was a mechanic, lol. I forgot boomers have like 90 of the loving things too.

ded posted:

thats bs. oba & eab has zero problems with some hair. if you had like a 3 or 4 inch long beard maybe it might have a problem

Oh yeah, I'm not arguing it's valid.

I had to trim my big filthy trucker beard for a management interview this week, and I'm sad about it.