Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

LochNessMonster posted:

Negotiating without an alternative is more like asking. You have 0 leverage besides quitting/getting terminated. If they say no, you either accept or walk away.

If you decide to become unreasonable to a level at which they’re pulling the offer, you better have something else lined up or should’ve reigned in and agreed to the pay cut (and immediately start looking elsewhere).

Sounds like your buddy didn’t read the situation properly and/or grossly underestimated if the company could continue without him.

Good lesson though. I hope he has put some of that contracting money aside for situations like this.

Indeed. My first response to him was "well that was stupid". Unfortunately for him he's not as well connected as some seasoned tech workers so he's really just relying on me and my connections to help get him landed somewhere but again, bad market. He's a miser with money though so he has a few hundred thousand to sit back on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Potato Salad posted:

It's crazy how easy the JAMF identity management / SSO feature is

As far as I know, Apple uses JAMF internally. And it even integrates with Entra ID.

Sepist posted:

Indeed. My first response to him was "well that was stupid". Unfortunately for him he's not as well connected as some seasoned tech workers so he's really just relying on me and my connections to help get him landed somewhere but again, bad market. He's a miser with money though so he has a few hundred thousand to sit back on

I got laid off earlier this March and after working for nearly a decade straight at one company I decided to use my severance and unemployment for a well deserved break. I suppose it's been a bit of gamble ignoring recruiters but it's been nothing short of awesome spending my entire summer traveling around California, Florida with trips to Europe and South East Asia. I haven't taken more than two weeks off since the last recession in '08 and goddamn I can totally see why some of my co-workers have given up on the American grind of constant work and left for Canada or Europe.

I still think that despite recent changes in the tech industry including both IT and Development there is still quite a bit of demand. It's not as crazy as it once was a few years ago but it'll be interesting to see what happens after the holidays especially if there isn't a recession and we get that fabled soft landing.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Dec 4, 2023

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
On a call
"We paid a lot of money for teams, so we expect people to start using video, especially if you are remote."
Of the 60+ people in this call, 8 were on video.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Our company recently started enforcing blurred backgrounds on teams, which I am a fan of since my office doubles as the spare bedroom we throw all the baby/toddler stuff we rapidly transition through as ours kids age, so it's always in a state of mess. But some people seem to be in shambles over it.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Sepist posted:

Our company recently started enforcing blurred backgrounds on teams, which I am a fan of since my office doubles as the spare bedroom we throw all the baby/toddler stuff we rapidly transition through as ours kids age, so it's always in a state of mess. But some people seem to be in shambles over it.

Middle managers can't flex over how nice a house/organized a video call background they have.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
But I am the middle manager with the Groverhaus

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I used to be a big proponent of "video calls are a waste of time" but these days it's the actual opposite. Being able to see someones face makes the conversation so much easier

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
I had 4 recruiters email me today for a helpdesk position for $16/hr. McDonalds is paying more for high schoolers lmao

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

abigserve posted:

I used to be a big proponent of "video calls are a waste of time" but these days it's the actual opposite. Being able to see someones face makes the conversation so much easier

If I'm in a small meeting with people, sure. Probably would get me to finish getting some shelves up in here though.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Sepist posted:

I have a friend who made a crazy gamble and it didn't pay off, wanted to share it in here. He is a very high level network engineer, extremely competent and smart. He is a contractor at a large old finance firm and after 5 years they require to convert to full time. This meant a 160k pay cut for him. Thinking he had the leverage here, he declined unless they met his contractor pay or he'd walk. He had no job lined up. They've declined to match his pay and took the conversion off the table because he's bring unreasonable, and he's also having issues lining up a new role because the market is so saturated.

Was he a 1099 direct corp to corp with the company?

A 40% decrease in going from 1099 c2c to W2 is about equal total comp in that scenario once you factor in benefits, 401k matching, taxes, PTO, and everything else.

It's was common for our W2 contractors at my last gigs to take a 10% hit converting to FTE, but total comp usually went up.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Blurb3947 posted:

I had 4 recruiters email me today for a helpdesk position for $16/hr. McDonalds is paying more for high schoolers lmao

"Nobody wants to work anymore!"

I'm just glad I landed where I did as someone new to the field and seemingly before the market went to poo poo, because Jesus Christ.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

It felt like an acquisition that only existed so that VMware sales could throw licenses in to sweeten a deal without discounting the actual core VMware product licensing

Late but I was working with some of the AirWatch engineering team back when this deal closed, and this is exactly what they did.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Let me tell you how mad I am that my company ripped out a good document repo, ported the repo such that most of its data is either gone forever or siloed into something only a few managers can see, that the creation of new documents is now siloed into "CIs" that you cannot naturally tree down like a normal doc repo, no, instead everything is a search within a client and you'd best know the search terms, or worst of all that all of the work of getting information into the new repo falls to the desk that actually needs all the poo poo they just callously destroyed. Especially since they did it in a down market. Motherfuckers.

Its straight up unusable and I think its bad enough that I am going to try to find a new gig

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

skipdogg posted:

Was he a 1099 direct corp to corp with the company?

A 40% decrease in going from 1099 c2c to W2 is about equal total comp in that scenario once you factor in benefits, 401k matching, taxes, PTO, and everything else.

It's was common for our W2 contractors at my last gigs to take a 10% hit converting to FTE, but total comp usually went up.

He was c2c through a 3rd party. He was making 325k so it was larger than a 40% reduction. Their bonus was also pretty trash compared to the high flying bonuses in other parts of finance

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

abigserve posted:

Disagree 10000%, although I'm on a whole number of spectrums that make that sort of thing more difficult

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I did debate and forensics as a kid, so it's sort of fun to dust off my public speaking chops for work. The downside is that the cognitive load goes up by that much more. It's not enough to run the meeting and make sure I'm tracking all the things my people want to discuss with the team, now I have to think about eye contact (with the camera, not the images of the people to whom I'm speaking), keeping my gestures in frame, and all that chicanery. I'm happy to save it for special occasions.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

God isn't watching you... but I am!
Typical MSP Monday; start the day with two tickets and monitoring, end with 9-12, including travel and remotely updating Quickbooks company wide for two companies at the endof the workday manually, since it needs to be installed as local admin. Find out 2 are bullshit tickets of the "oh I was just panicking" variety. Meanwhile, the lead hosed up issues for two clients regarding Prrofpoint and VOIP which apparent has both clients threatened to bounce.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Work is now saying we might not be moving this month

Would have been good to know last month before we put everything in boxes, boss

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

tokin opposition posted:

Work is now saying we might not be moving this month

Would have been good to know last month before we put everything in boxes, boss

A company I used to work for a decade ago postponed their plans to shutdown their biggest location and move everyone for years. Every year we’d hear about the office shutting down “for real now, this year”. I believe we had 5 or 6 company BBQ’s to celebrate shutting down the office, in the same amount of years.

The last cancelation before they actually went through with it pissed a lot of people off. It really seemed to happening, all the HR stuff was changed already and 3-4 weeks before the actual shutdown they cancelled everything. New location was already open but already had about 50% utilization before they needed to move in all the folks from our location. New location was specifically built to replace our location but had only 70% of the required (8k) seats (couldn’t WFH so no clue how they envisioned this working). With the building already half full they decided to blow everything off.

What pissed people off was not the uncertainty but the fact they had (to have) made all kind of changes in their personal lives to adjust for the office move. Old location was in the middle of nowhere with a large parking lot and horrible public transport. New location was in the middle of one of the biggest cities in the country with great public transport but nowhere to park a car. The office had parking spots for about 10% of the seats but realstically only higher level mgmt, firld engineers and a handful of others got a spot. So a lot of people sold their 2nd car, changed day care areangements (which for some reason are incredibly overcrowded and require a multi year waiting list in some places, so you sign up when you are expecting). The announcement pissed of so many people half the company decided to not show up or do any work for a week. It took the C-Suite and HR that long to come up with a proper response…

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
Huh. I've never had a potential job give me an interview on a Friday and then immediately ask me to schedule a second one on The following Monday. Usually that takes a couple of weeks. Is that a sign of them not having any other candidates to consider?

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
It's generally a sign they want you. It could be they they've got blocks for first and second round, and you manage to slot perfectly in. But that's less likely than someone inside has decided you're the choice, and wants to fasttrack you.

Honestly, in your shoes I would prepare for negotiations during the next interview. It's not a sure thing, but you should have your numbers already in mind.

Any offer with a hard, short deadline is an automatic red flag. As is any non-negotiable offer (assuming you're above entry level).

Just relax, be friendly, and knock 'em dead.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Umbreon posted:

Huh. I've never had a potential job give me an interview on a Friday and then immediately ask me to schedule a second one on The following Monday. Usually that takes a couple of weeks. Is that a sign of them not having any other candidates to consider?

Happened twice to me, both l wanted me to sign asap, but n=2 and of course ymmv.

Not sure if you are still desperate for a night shift job and will take anything that fits the bill, but you might be able to negotiate on this.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I might have already posted this because it made me mad, but I can't remember so here it is again.

I'm essentially Tier 2/3 desktop support. My department is moving to a different floor of our building next month. Right now because nobody comes into work anymore I have a very nice corner office to myself with big windows and tons of natural light, it's awesome. They were about to move me upstairs to a tiny shared office with fluorescent lights, nowhere near any windows. Across the hall is a similarly sized office, but it has windows. That office was going to be used as a floating space for developers when they come into the office (they do not ever come into the office). I asked if we can use the better office, since I'm here several days a week at least.

They came back with a compromise. I will get the office that was going to be the manager's office, which is somewhat larger and I will have it to myself. It has an interior window, which faces an office with an exterior window. The office I was going to use is going to be for storage, and my manager is going to get the office with the window even though he didn't really want it. The reasoning is that they will only give up that developer space to a supervisor, even though they clearly don't actually need it at all. I do not make enough money to deserve sunlight.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

WFH folks going across time zones: what techniques you got to keep times straight? I'm only an hour difference and I've done okay this past year converting times in my brain as needed but I've missed a couple meetings from conversion gently caress ups and figure there should be a more reliable way to do it.

Keep my workstation in the time zone of the head office? Live with it and stop being an idiot? Some other fancy tool or approach?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Are invites not coming to you with a timezone in them, or are people just saying "let's meet at 3" without specifying?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Cool Dad posted:

I might have already posted this because it made me mad, but I can't remember so here it is again.

I'm essentially Tier 2/3 desktop support. My department is moving to a different floor of our building next month. Right now because nobody comes into work anymore I have a very nice corner office to myself with big windows and tons of natural light, it's awesome. They were about to move me upstairs to a tiny shared office with fluorescent lights, nowhere near any windows. Across the hall is a similarly sized office, but it has windows. That office was going to be used as a floating space for developers when they come into the office (they do not ever come into the office). I asked if we can use the better office, since I'm here several days a week at least.

They came back with a compromise. I will get the office that was going to be the manager's office, which is somewhat larger and I will have it to myself. It has an interior window, which faces an office with an exterior window. The office I was going to use is going to be for storage, and my manager is going to get the office with the window even though he didn't really want it. The reasoning is that they will only give up that developer space to a supervisor, even though they clearly don't actually need it at all. I do not make enough money to deserve sunlight.

I quit a previous job because something very similar to this was just this cherry on top of a poo poo sundae. I started out with my own office with a sunlight window. Then, they moved the devs into shared offices with two people. Then, moved us into a conference room with six people. Then shoved us into a shotgun closet where we had to stagger our desk and chair placements so that we wouldn't bump into each other when getting up from our desks.

For that last one, there was a giant office right across the hall that was already furnished and wasn't being used. It was ostensibly to be used by Marketing for storage. Our CEO or whatever held his yearly IT Appreciation Month meeting with us and we eventually got to the part where we were able to ask questions. I asked something to the effect of "Can we please use that room across the hall as an actual office instead of storage that Marketing doesn't take advantage of?"

He looked at me while I was asking the question, then turned and looked around the room and asked if anyone else had questions. That was the very moment that I decided I was done with that place.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

All meetings are auto converted to my (CST) timezone. Since most of the team lives on the east coast I just think in EST when planning a meeting to accomodate. Unless it's explicitly stated, most "Let's meet at 3" is assumed to be EST

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

xzzy posted:

WFH folks going across time zones: what techniques you got to keep times straight? I'm only an hour difference and I've done okay this past year converting times in my brain as needed but I've missed a couple meetings from conversion gently caress ups and figure there should be a more reliable way to do it.

Keep my workstation in the time zone of the head office? Live with it and stop being an idiot? Some other fancy tool or approach?

There is something you can do in Outlook to setup a second calendar/timezone thing. I have used that in the past so that I have a "Home" timezone and a "Company" timezone.

I also add the timezone I am thinking about every time I mention a time in order to lessen confusion.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Kibner posted:

That was the very moment that I decided I was done with that place.

I quit a place that was similar, it wasn't quite that they infantilised the IT department but that's the closest word I can think of. Things like offering pizza for OT instead of having a proper discussion about pay, and an entire C-suite who thought this was your hobby.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

Are invites not coming to you with a timezone in them, or are people just saying "let's meet at 3" without specifying?

Everything comes in through outlook (the web version), no time zones indicated. I guess I could change my time zone in outlook but when all times are adjusted for my local there's still a conversion problem, if I ever quote a time over chat to someone I have to remember to change the hours.

If the solution is just "be more alert" that's fine too.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Outlook should be handling converting from source location to destination without you having to do anything. If someone in New York sends you a meeting invite for 3pm and you're in SF it shouldn't be showing up to you as a 3pm meeting.

Edit: If you look at an ICS feed all the events are in UTC and they rely on the client to do the conversion, I assume Outlook does something very similar internally.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 5, 2023

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Cool Dad posted:

they just screwed over our desktop support team in almost this exact same way.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
How many Outlook calendars at once is too many

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

klosterdev posted:

Greater than three

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

there is a "schedule view" option that makes looking at larger number of calendars not as painful

I use it anytime I'm looking at my entire team at once

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Hey folks I'm deploying 3x Cisco DNA Center appliances. I'm at the part where I need to load the image, which requires mounting (I'm not sure if that's the right word) the .iso file onto a USB stick. Cisco says to use the etcher program for that so that's what I did. I loaded it on the USB stick and attempted to load it on the appliance but it doesn't seem to be reading it. It's giving me these error messages then reverts back to the maglev config screen:

I'm not sure what the issue is. I'm wondering if maybe the .iso is corrupted? The directions from Cisco to verify the file were somewhat confusing. What I ended up doing was running a certutil command in powershell on the file to get a md5 hash and it matched what Cisco says it should be so I think that should mean its good? Or maybe the issue is the USB stick itself but Ciscos requirements are pretty simple: At least 64GB, USB 3.0, and not encrypted. The stick I'm using is all that and brand new. Anyone have any idea what's going on?

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
Does the USB drive need to be formatted as FAT32/NTFS or something specific to be detected?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Charliegrs posted:

Hey folks I'm deploying 3x Cisco DNA Center appliances.

Oh god condolences. This summarizes our attempt to implement that piece of poo poo:

The best part of DNAC was that the appliances were so powerful I could run an entire factory from them when I converted them to run ESXi.

After that incredibly expensive mistake, we tried out Arista cognitive campus stuff and never looked back. EOS is just hands down better (particularly if you are automating things with ansible or whatever) and we've had almost zero issues with anything. Sticking the macro segmentation services in has also worked beautifully.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

klosterdev posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

tehinternet posted:

Does the USB drive need to be formatted as FAT32/NTFS or something specific to be detected?

Cisco has literally nothing about this in their official instructions to create the bootable USB
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/do...3_3_2ndgen.html

The .iso file is something like 27Gbs and if I remember correctly the max partition size for fat32 is 4 gigs so im guessing it cant be that.