Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
https://twitter.com/davidgross_man/status/1732104618291667163

"Why don't you believe our women?!?"
- Lt. Col. David Ben David Gideon of the Bitches Always Be Lyin' Brigade, age 12.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

Why does this sound insane 22 years after 9/11 lmao

Fair, I try to forget that happened.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

Frosted Flake posted:

The idea that the solution is “ground penetrating radar” and not “post sentries and patrol constantly” and “clear all cover for 200m around the overnight defensive position with picks, shovels and handsaws” is exactly what’s wrong with the IDF.

This is not remotely a technological problem. You just have to do things that suck, which means people have to be ordered to do things that suck and follow those orders.

But what if I make an Uber for trenches and sentry duty

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.
A fragment of a rocket fell like a meter away from two guys in Tel Aviv

https://twitter.com/GutmanYotam/status/1732087746317930568?t=DDw8HzoVkY9mL7hPxOpneA&s=19

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

FlapYoJacks posted:

Israel is so not mad that people are upset they are murdering unarmed civilians.

https://twitter.com/Israel/status/1732016935011828219

Looks like they deleted this post, which makes sense considering their baffling choice of butt rock as the backing track.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Sancho Banana posted:

https://twitter.com/GutmanYotam/status/1732087746317930568?t=DDw8HzoVkY9mL7hPxOpneA&s=19

that poor tree :(

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Sancho Banana posted:

that kinda looks like it surfed down the bark of the tree

what an incredibly lucky couple people that it wasn't live, and didn't directly hit them, and had the tree look like it prolly shielded them from little fragments nm its on the same side as them mostly

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Sancho Banana posted:

same vibe as that cat

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Sancho Banana posted:

Should that fragment have vaporized everything like they say a fragment did to that hospital? Gee wonder why that didnt happen

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Looks like they deleted this post, which makes sense considering their baffling choice of butt rock as the backing track.

meant to convey terror but all the viewers came away thinking Hamas was Built Ford Tough

edit:

boo boo bear posted:

"Why don't you believe our women?!?"
- Lt. Col. David Ben David Gideon of the Bitches Always Be Lyin' Brigade, age 12.
lol

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
Weird how the "hamas missile parts falling directly on the al-ahli hospital" wipes out a city block but all the ones falling in Israel plonk down like scrap metal.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Sancho Banana posted:

Literally a Latuff cartoon lol

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Sancho Banana posted:

military aged males

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Why were they just walking around like that anyways lol

It couldn't have been that long after a siren and even if it was over, how many loving times does Pikud Haoref have to remind people to stay in place for a couple minutes just to be safe

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Sancho Banana posted:

The official story that just part of one of these killed 500 people by accident, blew up several cars, and shattered windows all around the block is incredible. the little rocket that could.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Has anyone else had propaganda so bad it gets boo'd off stage?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

I said come in! posted:

So basically Israel did in fact allow the attack to happen. As like completely insane as that sounds.

Don't know if anyone confirmed it but the thought was that most of the places that were hit by Hamas were generally anti-Likud.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

Weird how the "hamas missile parts falling directly on the al-ahli hospital" wipes out a city block but all the ones falling in Israel plonk down like scrap metal.

I have seen it called a blood libel to say Israel blew up that hospital (that they said they were going to blow up) (that they gave a warning bomb that injured nurses the day before) (that they called to ask why didn't you evacuate and leave all your immobile patients behind after the warning bomb) (that they immediately took credit for before the death toll came out)

It's just literally considered a blood libel to hear a Palestinian say what is being done to them, so cool.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

The idea that the solution is “ground penetrating radar” and not “post sentries and patrol constantly” and “clear all cover for 200m around the overnight defensive position with picks, shovels and handsaws” is exactly what’s wrong with the IDF.

This is not remotely a technological problem. You just have to do things that suck, which means people have to be ordered to do things that suck and follow those orders.

They need to wait for a wave of immigrants, draft them all as miners, and send them to dig to HFS.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

They can't hit every square inch of Gaza with ground penetrating radar, Hamas must have had something beneath it already and tunneled up after the camp was made

Just to think through the problem - you can but it's a hard signal processing problem and I'm not aware of any systems built for this. Essentially putting a huge ~100 MHz dipole on long drone wings that will take a bit of power. You'll need to map in various directions, etc, and do the processing.

Maybe you can focus on specific areas if the system existed but reconstructing a network would take a very long time with a lot of compute and the radar design assumptions would need to match the actual depth/width of tunnels. More penetration means less resolution to actually find tunnels, etc. Also a bit of confusion on false positives from, e.g., sewers.

Hatebag posted:

if the soil is moist or otherwise highly conductive ground penetrating radar is pretty useless anyway. since gaza is coastal I'd imagine the soil is fairly moist and saline

Depends on frequency, power. You can definitely tune a system to do certain things but there's always a cost somewhere else. As a point of reference, you can check out what's being done for the radar on next mission to Europa here

guidoanselmi has issued a correction as of 21:12 on Dec 5, 2023

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Dreylad posted:

Don't know if anyone confirmed it but the thought was that most of the places that were hit by Hamas were generally anti-Likud.

That is a horrifying thought, but wouldnt surprise me from everything i've learned about Israeli politics.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

sure, but how do you entrench against an enemy that has to be assumed to be already dug under your position, everywhere

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Dreylad posted:

You mean the Kibbutzim in the Gaza envelope? This doesn't seem like proof of much to me. There's another, much simpler reason why the places right next to the strip were attacked most heavily.

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Sancho Banana posted:

Wait a second

Where is the earth shattering kaboom

Why aren't there five hundred dead people here

Did the IDF lie about the destructive force of rocket fragments?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
that honestly looks like it was wedged up in the branches and fell down

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Israel intentionally creating the conditions that led to October 7, and there is no both sides are wrong; only Israel, is in an extreme position that reeks as dogmatic, one that will be tolerated (and it will) because most people's intuitive moral outrage and effervescence point in one direction, mostly along neo-Marxist oppressor-oppressed dichotomic lines. You have just done us the courtesy of making your unthinking bias explicit.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Sancho Banana posted:

were these guys zionists

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Calibanibal posted:

were these guys zionists

Allah is with them so I assume not

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

Wait a second

Where is the earth shattering kaboom

Why aren't there five hundred dead people here

Did the IDF lie about the destructive force of rocket fragments?

Wasn't the go to explanation that the oxygen tanks or (empty) fuel tanks exploded when it hit?

Which is incredibly dumb poo poo and at best a Rube Goldbergian explanation. Also the damage was centered on the courtyard so I guess we're supposed to believe the gases just mixed in explosive ratio by chance away from the tanks. Maxwell's demon is Hamas!

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

https://i.imgur.com/NjiCSIP.mp4

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Adenoid Dan posted:

Wasn't the go to explanation that the oxygen tanks or (empty) fuel tanks exploded when it hit?

Which is incredibly dumb poo poo and at best a Rube Goldbergian explanation. Also the damage was centered on the courtyard so I guess we're supposed to believe the gases just mixed in explosive ratio by chance away from the tanks. Maxwell's demon is Hamas!

There was no go-to explanation iirc. They just said a rocket fragment hit the hospital and let people and the media fill in the blanks and say there must've been an ammo stash in the crash site or something.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

guidoanselmi posted:

Depends on frequency, power. You can definitely tune a system to do certain things but there's always a cost somewhere else. As a point of reference, you can check out what's being done for the radar on next mission to Europa here

yeah but that's for ice, which is basically the ideal material for ground penetrating radar because it's an insulator. I'm sure it's possible to accurately map tunnels in sandy saline soil with infinite time, power, processing power, etc but for gaza it would probably be a much more effective use of resources to just slap a gopro on an rc car and shove it in a hole.
luckily the idf is a bunch of morons and cowards so hopefully hamas will maintain their insurmountable tunnel advantage and defeat the nazis

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023
Still can't believe how many people bought into the rocket explanation when that entire bombing run was recorded by Al Jazeera

"Yeah those other twelve sound barrier breaking mushroom clouds were us but that one that hit the hospital was hamas"

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Still can't believe how many people bought into the rocket explanation when that entire bombing run was recorded by Al Jazeera

"Yeah those other twelve sound barrier breaking mushroom clouds were us but that one that hit the hospital was hamas"

The IDF had a phone call recording between two Hamas agents! In stereo!

Jon Carbuncle
Sep 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

FlapYoJacks posted:

paul_soccer12 did nothing wrong.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Adenoid Dan posted:

"done by the other team"

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

military aged males

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

FlapYoJacks posted:

Hamas voiceover being subtle in the most hamfisted way like the end credits of a metal gear solid game

"Yes.... Everything is going according to plan. No complications. Yes. I will proceed with the bombing... Hamas president."

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

FlapYoJacks posted:

holophonic virtual hamas barbershop where they discuss oct 7th planning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Hamas voiceover being subtle in the most hamfisted way like the end credits of a metal gear solid game

"Yes.... Everything is going according to plan. No complications. Yes. I will proceed with the bombing... Hamas president."

Do you mean the cemetery??? Right behind the hospital?? That we use as our secret rocket storage area???