Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

This loving sucks, MLB needs an NBA-style Deal Zone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!

R.D. Mangles posted:

The NHL's Free Agent Frenzy on July 1 used to be good until the last CBA basically allowed every player to skirt it.

Edit: Dave Roberts would probably get fired (yay!) if he leaked that the Dodgers met with Ohtani (and Ohtani was serious about punishing teams who shared that info). But I doubt Dave is that dumb so I guess we're nearing the end. Dave really is a Yappasaurus Rex tho

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
If we're out on Ohtani then we better loving get Yamamoto and Glasnow and resign Bellinger

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I will also take Juan Soto as a consolation prize please and thank you

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Ohtani boy, the Cubs, the Cubs are calling

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
If the Cubs don't sign Ohtani than I will only be consoled if they sign Yamamoto, Bellinger and trade for Soto

Oh and also Ohtani

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Poque posted:

Ohtani boy, the Cubs, the Cubs are calling

From Glen(view) to Glen(dale Heights) and down the lakeside

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

I hope Ohtani drags this out to 2024. He can sign with the Dodgers on 2/14 (he's my valentine)

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
You will get Rhys Hoskins and scrub veteran relievers and like it

Gabagool
Jul 20, 2020

Craig Counsell has been handed the keys to Shohei Ohtani's chocolate factory, Dave Roberts has been rolled away by the oompa loompas for squeezing

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Hand Row posted:

You will get Rhys Hoskins and scrub veteran relievers and like it

I mean, Hoskins is a career 125 OPS+ bat and the Cubs still need a 1B, I'd actually be quite pleased with the Cubs bringing him in.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The Carter Hawkins quote from yesterday makes me think their excuse for not spending again is that they don't want to block prospects.

https://twitter.com/JesseRogersESPN/status/1731855036592849094

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

lol

Knocking but not pounding

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I’ve been saying it for months, any money that the Cubs would be spending this offseason is going to some dark money Trump Super PAC

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Latest Athletic podcast is speculating nothing will happen until Ohtani signs. How true does that seem?

Pretty likely. Ohtani was always the top Free Agent on the board, and what his contract goes for is going to set the mood of the FA signings - we already know there's a pretty depleted player market this offseason so the big names that are on the board (Yamamoto, Bellinger) aren't going to move an inch until Ohtani goes so that they get as much money for themselves as they can.

Niwrad posted:

The Carter Hawkins quote from yesterday makes me think their excuse for not spending again is that they don't want to block prospects.

extremely lol for Hawkins to say this given how much Cubs fans are complaining the team won't give their current up-and-comers at-bats to save the team's life

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I'd honestly be fine with "Short-term deals to avoid boxing prospects out" as a Plan B if it means going after Soto and Hopkins; less so if it means going after Hopkins and Matt Chapman

Also they should be in on one of the top SPs still obviously

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I hear veteran clubhouse leader Eric Hosmer could be had on a one year league minimum deal...

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

xbilkis posted:

I'd honestly be fine with "Short-term deals to avoid boxing prospects out" as a Plan B if it means going after Soto and Hopkins; less so if it means going after Hopkins and Matt Chapman

Also they should be in on one of the top SPs still obviously

Soto (who is not going to be a Cub, btw) is younger than some of their top prospects

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Ohtani re-signing with the Angels and just contentedly spending the remaining 8 years of his career there winning 70-80 games per year is by far the funniest outcome, right?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

General Dog posted:

Ohtani re-signing with the Angels is by far the funniest outcome, right?

Depends on who you ask, but staying on the Angels is definitely the saddest for his career

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Nodoze posted:

Depends on who you ask, but staying on the Angels is definitely the saddest for his career

Maybe he's happy to spend his Octobers doing something else

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

R.D. Mangles posted:

Baseball is the only major sport without a deal frenzy because it's the only major sport without a true salary cap, so there's no real urgency for signings.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

General Dog posted:

Ohtani re-signing with the Angels and just contentedly spending the remaining 8 years of his career there winning 70-80 games per year is by far the funniest outcome, right?

I dunno that sounds kinda nice.

Yea pro sports has become all about winning over everything. But drat would be refreshing for someone to just do what they love as well as they can where they are happy and not care about winner take all poo poo.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

I hear veteran clubhouse leader Eric Hosmer could be had on a one year league minimum deal...
who are we kidding, Hosmer is definitely too high on himself to accept a league minimum deal

edit: dear god I did not realize he still has 2 more years left on that deal :lol:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

Baseball is the only major sport without a deal frenzy because it's the only major sport without a true salary cap, so there's no real urgency for signings.

The draft also doesn't matter to your upcoming season so there is no desperation to immediately fill out your roster

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Niwrad posted:

https://twitter.com/JesseRogersESPN/status/1731855036592849094

See, this is the kind of rhetoric I was expected as soon as the offseason began. I was very surprised to hear the Cubs were seriously in on Ohtani given their track record of FA deals and expected it to be another Harper situation where there's a lot of smoke but ultimately turns out never any fire. Maybe that's the situation here but again I'm waiting for another source besides loving Nightengale to point to the Cubs as having rolled out of the sweepstakes for Ohtani.

This kind of sentiment also once again underscores just how loving stupid it was to bring in a bunch of short term dogshit vets this year like Smyly/Barnhart/Hosmer/Mancini instead of just rolling out the young guys and seeing if they're gonna stick or not. It's clear now the Cubs feel like they're in an in-between state, so how about actually doing some float tests with your goddamn rookies?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

who are we kidding, Hosmer is definitely too high on himself to accept a league minimum deal

edit: dear god I did not realize he still has 2 more years left on that deal :lol:

Hosmer had some weird reality warping field around him that made MLB organizations consider him like a top ten guy in the entire game, all based around like 1-2 good seasons in KC.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Sydin posted:

I mean, Hoskins is a career 125 OPS+ bat and the Cubs still need a 1B, I'd actually be quite pleased with the Cubs bringing him in.

He hit 30 homers last year so I'm down. It would mean the Cubs are out for Belli, though :(

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

Hosmer had some weird reality warping field around him that made MLB organizations consider him like a top ten guy in the entire game, all based around like 1-2 good seasons in KC.
my favorite Hosmer comp is James Loney

Maybe if the Dodgers had won it all in 2008 Loney could have gotten paid too

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Sydin posted:

I remember hearing on a fantasy podcast that Hoskins had a noticeable decline in ability (Statcast numbers mostly) the season before the injury, so no I would not like to take a gamble on Hoskins.

Mervert for life yo

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Sydin posted:

See, this is the kind of rhetoric I was expected as soon as the offseason began. I was very surprised to hear the Cubs were seriously in on Ohtani given their track record of FA deals and expected it to be another Harper situation where there's a lot of smoke but ultimately turns out never any fire. Maybe that's the situation here but again I'm waiting for another source besides loving Nightengale to point to the Cubs as having rolled out of the sweepstakes for Ohtani.

This kind of sentiment also once again underscores just how loving stupid it was to bring in a bunch of short term dogshit vets this year like Smyly/Barnhart/Hosmer/Mancini instead of just rolling out the young guys and seeing if they're gonna stick or not. It's clear now the Cubs feel like they're in an in-between state, so how about actually doing some float tests with your goddamn rookies?

I don't think it's a strategy or anything. They just don't want to spend big market money. Happy to be 10-15 in payroll and build a scrappy team that can sniff the playoffs.

Ohtani would have been incredibly cool but I would be pretty happy if they just re-signed Bellinger, re-signed Candelario, signed a top-of-the-rotation arm, and maybe got high leverage reliver like Hader (or anyone who is competent). That would likely put them in the top 5 in payroll and wouldn't hold any prospects back.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Sydin posted:

Austin Hedges was still crying about how the Padres treated Hosmer this summer. Which is funny because he always came off like a pouty baby to the media.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

bawfuls posted:

I miss the days of watching Chad Billingsley pitch

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

bawfuls posted:

I'm so thankful KC let the Padres overpay for him - now he's remembered as a guy who brought a Championship to KC instead of that guy who we paid way too much money to ground out to 2B over and over.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/i/status/1732151497213755903

https://twitter.com/jordancicchelli/status/1732152105069113396

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

https://twitter.com/Alden_Gonzalez/status/1732130050055503939

Hey that's not allowed.

Sorry Dodgers, but you broke the rules.

https://twitter.com/Brandon_N_Wile/status/1732152965253796222

ahahahahaha

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!

General Dog posted:

1000000%. "I dont get the big deal"

Holy poo poo lol

MaoistBanker fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 5, 2023

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

"Cubs are DEFINITELY in on Ohtani"

https://twitter.com/kateefeldman/status/1732154527913005426

"Cubs unwilling to meet the most basic contract terms everyone expected months ago"

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
https://twitter.com/Every6thDay/status/1732154215558938835

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

has anyone said Shoh-eh Ohtani yet