Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Where are they getting the D+ numbers from, I thought most of that was kept from the public?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Clouseau posted:

Where are they getting the D+ numbers from, I thought most of that was kept from the public?

Maybe it's a BBC thing? Have to be able to show that public money is being spent on things people want to see?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
It says it's the 61st most watched "movie," I'm not using D+ but presumably you can sort by popularity on the app, it just won't give you any hard numbers.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

I remember having almost the same reaction to the chase scene. I was trying to give the show a chance since some people said they liked Spyfall and I'm watching that scene going, "This looks like it was very tricky and expensive to film and it's utterly meaningless." It's a perfect example of my thesis that Chibnall had big moments but couldn't string them together into a good story because he didn't care about the bits that linked them together.
It's a tribute to the really long multi-vehicle chase sequence in Planet of the Spiders, which is also pointless.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
7.61 million consolidated is really good by 2023 standards, by the way; it's the best ratings since the beginning of the Jodie hype.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Clouseau posted:

In the absence of real numbers direct from the streamers, there are plenty of companies making money coming up with estimates.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Wild Blue Yonder got me excited enough to continue my rewatch of the old stuff and I while New Earth and Tooth and Claw were both very goofy and dumb plot-wise, there was some really fascinating character stuff that makes me glad that when I asked the gf whether she wanted a curated watch or if we should watch it all, good and bad, she said watch it all. New Earth turns Cassandra from a one-note villain into an interesting character (while also giving Piper and Tennant opportunities to have a ton of fun with acting when she possesses them) and Tooth and Claw is where the show really starts driving home the way the way that the Doctor and Rose recklessly hurl themselves into life-threatening history-altering adventures and seem to treat it as an amusing lark. Also Tennant and Piper are amazing together.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

My mate wrote one of the stories in this one so loyalty leads me to say that one's gotta be a certified banger. I'm sure the rest are good too.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

lines posted:

My mate wrote one of the stories in this one so loyalty leads me to say that one's gotta be a certified banger. I'm sure the rest are good too.

If your mate is Felicia Barker I doubt you've got much to worry about, she's fairly good.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

What is up with the Eleventh Doctor's face? It looks like they've photoshopped him to have Gigachad's bone structure.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

Open Source Idiom posted:

If your mate is Felicia Barker I doubt you've got much to worry about, she's fairly good.

The very same.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Warthur posted:

It's a tribute to the really long multi-vehicle chase sequence in Planet of the Spiders, which is also pointless.

It's not pointless, it did exactly what it was supposed to do which was "let Pertwee play with some vehicles". I'm sure his actual intent was to make off with the Whomobile when no-one was looking though.

Edit: I forgot that the Whomobile was actually his already, he wanted to steal the gyrocopter then.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Warthur posted:

What is up with the Eleventh Doctor's face? It looks like they've photoshopped him to have Gigachad's bone structure.

That's just Matt Smith's face.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

PriorMarcus posted:

That's just Matt Smith's face.

His reaction immediately after regenerating of,"And chin.... blimey!" still cracks me up.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Sorry to jump back to Spyfall, but something that bugged me while watching that I initially forgot to mention in the write-up:

There's also so much happening that the episode ends up with a lot of contrivances to keep it all together that don't really hold up to scrutiny. One part in particular that stands out is when Ryan and Yaz are hiding inside Barton's headquarters. That they were able to just hide out or the notion that a giant tech company like this would "close for the night" is already ridiculous, but they then walk out directly in front of a surveillance camera, point it out, use a device that turns them invisible to cameras (but doesn't remove the footage of them pointing at the camera in the first place) and then.... walk in front of a bunch more surveillance cameras without using the device again? Which means they're on camera (we even see it from the camera POV!) the entire time they're in Barton's office hacking his computer.

A minor thing perhaps? Except... later in the episode, Barton's aide shows him footage of Yaz and Ryan hacking the computer, complete with audio, meaning that people review this footage of Barton in his office without his supervision (they have to tell him about Yaz and Ryan)... which means they ALSO have surveillance footage of Barton meeting with the Kasaavin and audio of him openly discussing murders with them!?! I suspect that Chibnall either just didn't consider this as a possibility or decided to ignore it and hope the audience didn't notice because he wanted Barton to discover Ryan and Yaz were spying on him but not till they were at the party, or Barton was already aware due to working with the Master and it didn't bother him what they were doing, but that means his security staff were in on Barton's plot? That's relying on a lot of loyalty (or fear) given they have video/audio proof of Barton being involved in murder even if you don't take the aliens into account!

Maybe I'm just overthinking that whole thing, but it's kind of bizarre that they have a device that literally prevents them from being seen on camera, they note the importance of doing this, but only do it once and then stop bothering!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I was going to make a snarky comment, then I realised I could make a snarky edit

Warthur
May 2, 2004

I imagine that every so often, Chris Chibnall has a disconcerting dream. He's sat at a convention somewhere, discussing his Doctor Who work with the audience, when somewhere out in the crowd he catches sight of a teenage boy in spectacle frames that somewhat overpower his face and an overly neat suit. He realises that it his sixteen year old self, as he was when he voiced fan complaints about the show to Pip and Jane Baker (and, phoning in to the feedback segment they were appearing on, John Nathan-Turner).

He looks to his left. There, sat at the panel table with him, are Pip and Jane. He looks to his right. There's John Nathan-Turner and Eric Saward. Ian Levine is out in the crowd, carrying a microphone, and Chibnall realises that the panel has reached its Q&A section. A chill runs down his spine as Levine walks impossibly slowly towards the back of the room, towards Chibnall's 16 year old self, ready to offer the microphone to take young-Chibnall's comment. Chibnall presses his hands against his ears, but they block no sound. He does not want to hear. He does not. For he knows that young-Chibnall will comment this time not on The Trial of a Time Lord, but on Chibnall's tenure as showrunner, and these words will destroy him.

He looks to his left again. Pip and Jane are gone. He looks to his right again. Saward is gone. Wasn't there someone else to his right?

He looks down.

He is wearing a Hawaiian shirt.

He realises, just before he screams himself awake, that he has become John Nathan-Turner.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1732369344418472051

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Warthur posted:

He realises, just before he screams himself awake, that he has become John Nathan-Turner.

:lol:

Don't worry though, before 16-year-old Chibnall can ask his question, Levine will decide to keep hold of the mic and boom into it,"EXPLAIN UNIT DATING!"

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

:lol:

Don't worry though, before 16-year-old Chibnall can ask his question, Levine will decide to keep hold of the mic and boom into it,"EXPLAIN UNIT DATING!"

This would be the perfect place to post that comic if I wasn't on my work machine.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

There's also so much happening that the episode ends up with a lot of contrivances to keep it all together that don't really hold up to scrutiny.

Truly an homage to most Bond movies.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
These photoshop jobs on the big finish covers are so bad. With the price of them you'd except them to be atleast ok I mean the audio is obviously the most important part but jeez.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I definitely like JNT's run more than Chibnall's. It had its highs and lows, but there are few in that run that I'll never watch again. I don't plan on watching any Chibnall episodes again, aside from maybe the Weeping Angels one and "Power of the Doctor."

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

mycelia posted:

I see Oxx around ADTRW pretty regularly. No idea about Occ. I really enjoyed those threads, but I can see how it'd get old.

The guy who slowly realized that he was enjoying himself was fun but the guy who continuously posted about how much he hated everybody, accusing anyone who disagreed with him as coming from a hive mind, etc. was annoying and he moved on to doomposting in politics threads, I think.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Warthur posted:

Beautiful. My first out loud laugh of the morning and no way in hell i can explain it to anyone here.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
So BBC Sounds has a few Big Finish stories on it, to act as an introduction to new listeners. One of them is The Mind of Hodiac, based on a rejected Russell T Davies script from the 80s, that was rediscovered during lockdown. And...it's really bad.

There's far two many things going on at once, like the script is coming up with plot threads, only to get bored of them quickly. Alien stock markets, physic research, kitchen sink drama, robots, something about the Doctor's coat all flit around. There's also a strawman religous character too. Oh, and the Sixth Doctor and Mel are...there. The Doctor gets some nice dialogue about The Wind in the Willows that Colin Baker delivers well, and Langford gives another good performance as Mel, but the characters don't....do anything for most of it. I'm not really sure what the point of it was, aside from the RTD connection. It might have been better off selling the script as a charity e-book or something, because this feels like a lot of...nothing.

Thankfully he's written much better Who since!

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Confusedslight posted:

These photoshop jobs on the big finish covers are so bad. With the price of them you'd except them to be atleast ok I mean the audio is obviously the most important part but jeez.

They're long tail products only sold to devoted fans. They're supposed to be trash shoved out the door as fast as possible. It's a miracle any part of it is good.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

ikanreed posted:

[...] products only sold to devoted fans [...] trash shoved out the door as fast as possible

That reminds me, how'd Doom's Day do? :v:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
At some point it just becomes the style. If you're the artist given the task of a BF finish, every example you'd see are along those lines and you are probably as strapped for paid time to do yours. I do wonder if they are required by contract to use the actual promotional likeness photos -- or just part and parcel of who they're appealing to will find faces of the relevant characters handy on the cover. Feel like we'd get minimalist or abstract covers depicting a story or theme if they didn't need a Photoshop of actors involved on some level.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
The bad covers are actually very good.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Big Finish don't hire Lee Binding any more and the covers are all the worse for it.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Since the legal rights to the TV Movie visually are up in the air, Big Finish have to create odd looking compostions for stories starring early Eight and late era Seven. They look...off. At least with Master! they can get away narratively with new Eric Roberts photos.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

OldMemes posted:

Since the legal rights to the TV Movie visually are up in the air, Big Finish have to create odd looking compostions for stories starring early Eight and late era Seven. They look...off. At least with Master! they can get away narratively with new Eric Roberts photos.

They've pretty much used up all the publicity photos from the TV movie a long time ago. Hell, on the Mary Shelly trilogy, they were resorted to screen captures, something they also had to do for the Jago & Litefoot stories.

And when they do use original art, like on the War Doctor Begins series, the artist had to go on twitter to post a time lapse of her painting to prove that it wasn't CGI.

But here's a painted cover for an upcoming First Doctor story

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1730527222430060576?s=20

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Small detail from last episode: I really loved the scene with the Doctor just screaming and lashing out after the Donna entity got him to lower his guard and open up about the Flux and Timeless Child stuff, both for Tennant's raw performance, but also for the, I assume very deliberate, choice to have him kick the wall 5 times. I'd bet they wanted more than 3 because rule of three would make that seem too controlled, too rote, but if they go to four, the fandom would be fuckin weirdoes, so welp, gotta go to 5.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Fil5000 posted:

This would be the perfect place to post that comic if I wasn't on my work machine.

Belated, but...

Cracks me up every time :)

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I am rewatching bits and bobs from NuWho now that I am back on the bullshit, and I forgot just how unforgivably horny Amy was for the Doctor for most of Series 5.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Jerusalem posted:

Belated, but...

Seriously, that second-to-last panel is just :discourse:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I am rewatching bits and bobs from NuWho now that I am back on the bullshit, and I forgot just how unforgivably horny Amy was for the Doctor for most of Series 5.

This is mostly unrelated aside from you reminding me, but earlier this year I found out that Karen Gillan's married to one of the guys from the Youtube channel Britanick, and I still can't completely wrap my head around it.

Like, those two things aren't in the same continuity. Doctor Who actors shouldn't be in the same universe as people I saw on Cracked, that's absurd.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Belated, but...

Never gets old. I also can't ever quite believe that Saward wrote a bunch of Lytton stuff. Like, Maurice Colborne gives a fun performance and I like him a lot but that's not a character that needed a spinoff.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

That reminds me, how'd Doom's Day do? :v:

You know, I had no interest in Doom's Day but when it was announced it was SUCH an RTD thing to do that it gave me confidence that he was back in the way we needed him to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Jerusalem posted:

Belated, but...

I've never once done costume play at a convention, but every time I see this I kind of want to get a custom-printed "GUNS" t-shirt...