Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
love Rotunda's helicopter sping thing only to get blackslid like 10 seconds later lol

wrestling in the 70's looks so terrible a lot of the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Mr Hootington posted:

It is was the Greatest World Champion has to do. He is a battling champ.

Except when it came to Terry Funk challenging him!

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Sometimes I wish a match existed on tape somewhere even if I have no intention of ever watching it. I just would like to know its existence can still be proven.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
Rotunda is still one of my favorite wrestler because in the NES WCW game he had a running knee strike that you could spam all day cause the computer opponents had no way to block it.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

disaster pastor posted:

Sometimes I wish a match existed on tape somewhere even if I have no intention of ever watching it. I just would like to know its existence can still be proven.

I beat that was a great match

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Are CWF archives just non-existent? I wanted to watch old Terry Funk matches on WWE Network. They have stuff from the 80s, but nothing before like 1986 or so.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
It's in the WWE vault somewhere, but they've kinda given up on restoring the old stuff so its probably just lost in there forever.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

I also don't know how many CWF arena shows were actually taped in a way that would have been kept. The TV show focused on the Sportatorium tapings, and while they did broadcast some arena stuff, it's all way before my time so I have no insight into how much or how often.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

HonorableTB posted:

I've never wanted to boo Jerry Lawler more than when he just smashed Tiny Tim's ukelele over being called a Dairy Queen

Reminds me of another all-time great JR call. "THE BILLION DOLLAR PRINCESS... HAS BECOME... THE DAIRY QUEEN!"

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

The Dynamic Dudes.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Mr Hootington posted:

The Dynamic Dudes.

One of those Dudes will go on to be one of the most important men in wrestling.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

One of those dudes was the Sheepherders' flag bearer for years.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

forkboy84 posted:

And the other married the Bella Twins' mom!

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Missy Hyatt and Bischoff make a great announce/interview team

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

HonorableTB posted:

Missy Hyatt and Bischoff make a great announce/interview team

Weighted Gucci handbag Missy Hyatt becomes an announcer?

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

responding to something a little old, but

NikkolasKing posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWX_OK43qxo

Listening to this angle, about a perfectly reasonable Sid being neglected in favor of a conceited Hogan until he finally snaps, wasn't this storyline done again in WCW in 2000 or so when Hogan turned babyface?

yeah, Hogan had turned face the year before, Sid was a face because he had been feuding with nWo 2000. Had a tag match where Sid finally lost it on Hogan being beloved by the crowd. Seemed like a feud to go a bit (with a side feud against THE WALL BROTHER) but then they reset everything when Russo came back.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

The WCW did a bunch of promos for Scott Steiner when he starts wrestling for them and they can only be described as "late 80s horny". The promos all use Yello's "Oh Yeah".

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Terry Funk doing this deranged wrestler angle is good.

I've started to really enjoy disgraced ref turned heel manager Teddy Long. Excited to see where that goes.

The Fabulous freebies are both enjoyable samoan swat team.

Looks like Lugar is going heel again lol

I really like what they are doing with the heels right now.

So who is even left as a face at this point? Ricky and Sting? They want Flair to be a face, but come on

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

That's kinda been Terry's thing his entire career. His brother Dory Funk Jr was the professional wrestler with the amateur background and nwa champ. And Terry was his younger wilder brother. He'd come into a territory before Dory and act like a crazy man and when the top guy would beat him it would get folks thinking oh maybe he can beat Dory too.

Eventually I'd argue that Terry became more famous than Dory at least to my generation. His crazy man persona was only amplified by his work in Japan and ECW.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Shard posted:

That's kinda been Terry's thing his entire career. His brother Dory Funk Jr was the professional wrestler with the amateur background and nwa champ. And Terry was his younger wilder brother. He'd come into a territory before Dory and act like a crazy man and when the top guy would beat him it would get folks thinking oh maybe he can beat Dory too.

Eventually I'd argue that Terry became more famous than Dory at least to my generation. His crazy man persona was only amplified by his work in Japan and ECW.

The NWA commission was I am given to understand very opposed to Terry as champ because he was 'just' a football player despite being wildly more charismatic than Dory.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Shard posted:

Plus Terry was in Road House AND Over the Top!!!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

haljordan posted:

He spent the last 5 years in Hollywood.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

haljordan posted:

Enough to get SAG insurance.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
"Sly Stallone, you egg-sucking dog!"

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Terry Funk showing up in very early ECW is wonderful because everyone from the fans to the wrestlers to the ring announcers and commentary, they're all uniformly terrified of Funk whenever he's around. He has a predilection for giving easygoing promos pumping up someone and some shitweasel will interrupt him and Funk would do something like immediately grab them by the collar and pour a beer down their shirt while looking them dead in the eyes lmao. His music hit once and it made Paul E Dangerously run all the way around the ring from the far side and do a counterclockwise circuit just to exit the ring ramp...right next to where Funk was coming down to the ring...and Heyman dove into the crowd headfirst like a fat bellyflopping narwhal lmao.

Terry Funk owned, rip to a real one. I wish I could've seen this poo poo while channel surfing at whatever weird hour they had this playing at on SportsChannel Philadelphia, what a fun experience that must've been for someone used to super-sterile WWF

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Two Beans posted:

"Sly Stallone, you egg-sucking dog!"

Stallone got $12 million for that movie btw

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

haljordan posted:

"There's always barber college." :smuggo:

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Shard posted:

The idea that Terry's brother was ever the famous one blows my mind.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

The Ding-Dongs

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Mr Hootington posted:

The Ding-Dongs

the hunch backed wrestlers that couldnt be pinned

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Although initially this was presented as "they couldn't be beat" and then Ole offered to demonstration a submission hold on Herd or whomever it was.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Just looked this up. Jim Herd is a genius

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
For anyone who has never heard them, Jim Herd appeared on the eYada Wrestling Observer Live at least once and was a great interview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Srfi8ldAFk

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

I wish there was some way to watch a g1/c2 of early 90s wrestlecrap gimmicks. Is that something ai can do??

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Sandman McMahon posted:

I wish there was some way to watch a g1/c2 of early 90s wrestlecrap gimmicks. Is that something ai can do??

if by AI you mean Fire Pro Wrestling World, then yes

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

MassRafTer posted:

For anyone who has never heard them, Jim Herd appeared on the eYada Wrestling Observer Live at least once and was a great interview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Srfi8ldAFk

I heard about that. I'm not surprised. Moving a guy from a different part of your corporate structure to run the day to day of your wrestling business is almost cruel. At some point all they'll be able to do is realize how out of their element they are and laugh at themselves in hindsight.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Scott "The Gator" Hall. Wasn't expecting to see him as a jobber in 1989.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Kevin Sullivan in Eastern Championship Wrestling cutting a promo on a beach against Abdullah the Butcher about how many crimes and felonies Sullivan committed and how his parents kept him locked in a basement so the family didn't know how messed up he was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Sullivan rules