Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I don't think this tracks because Brisbee isn't a scoops guy, he's just a vibes guy who writes good and funny stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
Shohei after he signs a league minimum contract and releases a statement that says "I meant what I said"

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

"Cubs are DEFINITELY in on Ohtani"

https://twitter.com/kateefeldman/status/1732154527913005426

"Cubs unwilling to meet the most basic contract terms everyone expected months ago"

The Cubs reportedly prepared a $500M offer for Ohtani last week though. :shrug:

idk again it would be the largest FA deal the Cubs have ever done by a significant margin so I'm more inclined to lean towards them balking at the price than them matching it, but also :lol::lol::lol: if they thought they were going to be serious competitors for him without getting that high (and beyond).

lmao

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/ByJackHarris/status/1732155825542611366

If Dave Roberts hosed it just lmao

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Roberts thing could be a huge deal.

It could also be a completely unrelated coincidence that Boob read into.

:shrug:

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Well I know which I choose to believe!

The broken clock got one!!!

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

That resort in Nashville is a hothouse full of baseball writers desperate for something, anything to happen on the Ohtani front. I think that's coloring the reactions here.

https://twitter.com/chelsea_janes/status/1732158296834933038

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
It's time to accept that Blabbin Dave Roberts has ruined any hopes the Dodgers had of getting Ohtani, and quite possibly any marquee free agent for the foreseeable future

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

General Dog posted:

Ohtani re-signing with the Angels and just contentedly spending the remaining 8 years of his career there winning 70-80 games per year is by far the funniest outcome, right?

Yes I mean hahaha wouldn't that be hilarious

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/glenjaminc/status/1732159655772860762

Hell same

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Ohtani gonna look so good in cubbie blue.

Gabagool
Jul 20, 2020

The Cubs knew going into this poo poo that $500M was the floor, Boob's source is probably Jerry Reinsdorf

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

They only have 460 million left after the Counsell contract.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Could Ohtani's insistence on no leaks be a cultural thing? I don't know, and I could be embarrassing myself here, but isn't Japan more formal business wise?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

live with fruit posted:

Could Ohtani's insistence on no leaks be a cultural thing? I don't know, and I could be embarrassing myself here, but isn't Japan more formal business wise?

You could probably call it cultural, but it's more of a deference thing. He doesn't want to embarrass the franchise he's currently a part of, I think it's as straightforward as that.

Edit: also he famously values his privacy.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/FabianArdaya/status/1732159526068011230

Ok so Roberts definitely wasn't supposed to blab haha

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

live with fruit posted:

Most free agents probably don't want a lot of hassle and want things to be over as quickly and quietly as possible.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Shohei is not amused. Dodgers out of the running

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

live with fruit posted:

I think it's less cultural and more that Ohtani himself is just a very introverted and private dude who wants to minimize the drama around the negotiations as much as possible. Him insisting on teams keeping negotiations secret means it's much less likely word of those negotiations will leak to the media and result in a bunch of MLB reporters showing up at the place/time they're taking place as well.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Roberts torpedoing the most important FA negotiations in history would be hilarious.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

There's also the basic "if I can't trust you to not follow this simple request of not running your mouth about something so easy you are 100% going to blab about actually important stuff".

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
shohei change your mind and come to the Rangers--we can't even broadcast games to our fans, you'll have all the privacy you've ever wanted!

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Sydin posted:

I think it's less cultural and more that Ohtani himself is just a very introverted and private dude who wants to minimize the drama around the negotiations as much as possible. Him insisting on teams keeping negotiations secret means it's much less likely word of those negotiations will leak to the media and result in a bunch of MLB reporters showing up at the place/time they're taking place as well.

The word is that the man just likes to play video games and do his lifting/whatever training. He's at team dinners but he's not spending a lot of time with the rest of the guys. Despite that, they all love him and his playful sensibility.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

If Ohtani genuinely considers the very bland comments Dave Roberts made (yes we met a few days ago, I thought it went well, he's amazing, he's his own man it's up to him) to be a disqualifying leak, then lol ok I guess. I'd hardly consider that a leak or novel information on negotiations. Is he really that much of a diva/narcissist? I didn't think so, but maybe we'll find out.

pseudodragon posted:

There's also the basic "if I can't trust you to not follow this simple request of not running your mouth about something so easy you are 100% going to blab about actually important stuff".
On the other hand Dave Roberts has a long, elite-level track record of straight up lying about the health of his players. Kershaw and Gonsolin were 100% healthy this year until one day they got surgery.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Ohtani is a very kind man and simply knows that the faithful fans of other teams will be crestfallen when he signs with the Cubs and doesn't want to get their hopes up.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

bawfuls posted:

If Ohtani genuinely considers the very bland comments Dave Roberts made (yes we met a few days ago, I thought it went well, he's amazing, he's his own man it's up to him) to be a disqualifying leak, then lol ok I guess. I'd hardly consider that a leak or novel information on negotiations. Is he really that much of a diva/narcissist? I didn't think so, but maybe we'll find out.

The Dodger Nation heel turn begins

It'll only intensify when Ohtani signs with San Fransisco to specifically punish Dave Roberts

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Forrest on Fire posted:

The Dodger Nation heel turn begins

It'll only intensify when Ohtani signs with San Fransisco to specifically punish Dave Roberts
If that's what Shohei wants, then so be it. I will boo him as vociferously as I did Bonds in my youth.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
I've always taken Ohtani's insistence to be pure (and intelligent!) business and image management on his part.

He gains zero benefit from being publicly linked to a team he has no intention of going to. It's all downside, fans excited at reports of his possible arrival now feeling spurned. He's one of the few guys who sells tickets by himself on the road because of how widespread his popularity is. I'd also make an easy, no-cost demand to limit the extent to which any fanbases feel Decision'd

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

bawfuls posted:

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

bawfuls posted:

"Cubs are DEFINITELY in on Ohtani"

https://twitter.com/kateefeldman/status/1732154527913005426

"Cubs unwilling to meet the most basic contract terms everyone expected months ago"

Can't have Ohtani blocking Alexander Canario in a couple years.

Monathin posted:

extremely lol for Hawkins to say this given how much Cubs fans are complaining the team won't give their current up-and-comers at-bats to save the team's life

Yeah, their excuse would make sense if they actually played their young guys instead of having them be benchwarmers for Eric Hosmer and Trey Mancini.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

MaoistBanker posted:

Shohei after he signs a league minimum contract and releases a statement that says "I meant what I said"

Didn't Sussler say the Giants met with him the other day?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

bawfuls posted:

Didn't Sussler say the Giants met with him the other day?

GIANTS: OUT

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Reminded of when the news of some not particularly important signing to a bad Braves team (maybe AJ Pierzynski?) was broken by a random fan Fredi Gonzales met in line at a Honeybaked Ham the day before Thanksgiving I think.

Gabagool
Jul 20, 2020

Poque posted:

Ohtani is a very kind man and simply knows that the faithful fans of other teams will be crestfallen when he signs with the Cubs and doesn't want to get their hopes up.

Correct.

Also, Cubs are not aware that they're out: https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1732164745812222212

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Cubs executive: yeah we can't do 10 years $500M that's just bonkers man

also Cubs: no one has told us that we are out on Ohtani, maybe he's still considering our under-market deal!

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

pseudodragon posted:

Dave Roberts standing there with a bowl full of brown M&Ms like a dumbass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001