Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

Burginator posted:

This new collections thing is loving stupid

I own 54 Dan Hipp variants and I'm only 7/12. Make this poo poo make sense to me.

Wait till the Hellfire Gala album drops, and all 12 variants are the ones that are only available in the shop for one day and they all cost 1200 gold. Why sure, I'll pay $300 for a new emote! Who wouldn't?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Remember when they said they were going to do this exact kind of thing, everyone got (justifiably) angry, and then they put out a very mealy-mouthed retraction?

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Dec 6, 2023

y_y
Oct 25, 2011

conversationalist

Jedit posted:

Yes, but don't buy it in the Web shop. You are now locked in to your local currency - no more discount via Filipino pesos - and they're also charging full app price and pocketing the third party fees for themselves. You're now better off buying through the app store on your device and collecting loyalty points.

Note that the Filipino pesos still work with a VPN (I used the free ProtonVPN which offers servers from Japan). More effort, but it’s €8.72 vs €11 for me.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
the thing they apologized for was implying that they intentionally released mobius intending to nerf him, which i still believe they didn't actually mean.

idk i mostly just want them to do more prerelease testing so that cards don't have to get nerfed so hard down the line, especially when down the line is measured in weeks rather than months. but i don't remember anyone thinking mobius was busted, so rip?

in the larger scheme of things i think we're past the critical point though where most decks are fairly set in their archetypes and any new card has to do something better than the rest of the cards in the game to see play -- so any new card that sees play is both going to end up Very Good and also oversaturate the ladder as everyone spends their tokens and keys to get and play that new card (incentivized by quests that straight up reward you for playing that week's new card). i don't know how second dinner fixes this without, like, adding a new format or alternate game mode so that people can focus less on that specific treadmill

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Three keys for Jeff. Man-Thing variant then Stegron at least. Not a mystery token package :sigh:

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
Autofill fuckin' loves Amy Chav still. Probably take a few days for that to die down.

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.
I have 61 hipp variants and 4/12 on the ones in the album lmao

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
C3 still feels pretty good to me at the moment after a small sample of about 10 games. Shuri Sauron still feels perfectly fine. Gonna mess around with SeraShawSurfer soon I think.

The real tragedy is of course that they datamined another cash-only Magik bundle.

sdr782
Jun 7, 2005

"I said it was dodgeball time, bitch."

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Three keys for Jeff. Man-Thing variant then Stegron at least. Not a mystery token package :sigh:

I had 3 keys saved up for Jeff. I used them all and still don't have him, I want to die.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

flatluigi posted:

the thing they apologized for was implying that they intentionally released mobius intending to nerf him, which i still believe they didn't actually mean.
I really don't see how you can believe that after they came right out and said that intentionally releasing Mobius intending to nerf him was not only the actual plan, but a fun new paradigm they'd be repeating.

How exactly are you interpreting "we expected to make an adjustment down the road [to Mobius] in order to welcome Cost reduction strategies back into the sunlight" and "our approach here, using a new card as a tool to create a new play environment temporarily"?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Is Stegron the worst card with the best variants?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Nikumatic posted:

C3 still feels pretty good to me at the moment after a small sample of about 10 games. Shuri Sauron still feels perfectly fine. Gonna mess around with SeraShawSurfer soon I think.

SeraShawSurfer (esp w WWBN tossed in) feels pretty good, get in before they nerf it.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

I got Jeff on my first pull. Now the dilemma is whether to use more keys this week - I don't have any of other cards either and by all accounts they're also good to have.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Kalman posted:

SeraShawSurfer (esp w WWBN tossed in) feels pretty good, get in before they nerf it.

Come now, it’s not getting nerfed until after this month

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Can't wait to see what they do with kamala

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

CapnAndy posted:

I really don't see how you can believe that after they came right out and said that intentionally releasing Mobius intending to nerf him was not only the actual plan, but a fun new paradigm they'd be repeating.

How exactly are you interpreting "we expected to make an adjustment down the road [to Mobius] in order to welcome Cost reduction strategies back into the sunlight" and "our approach here, using a new card as a tool to create a new play environment temporarily"?

i know the poo poo people blew up about, i just think it's more likely it was the bad wording that they apologized for -- their expectations were after it had already hit the metagame and seeing its effects, not while they were making and releasing the card. letting it rock for a while instead of immediately nerfing it could've also been what they wanted feedback on.

am i maybe giving them too much credit? sure, maybe; i know i reflexively resist assuming the worst of gamedevs to the point where i think people have accused me of being employed by half a dozen different companies over the years (and boy do i wish my bank account reflected that). i find assuming malice to usually be a mistake, especially when things are just as easily explained as stupidity or a lack of time and money to fully see the implications of whatever they're doing. people get into the weeds of 'the only reason they could've made this change is because they hate the players and personally wish they all should die' way too often

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.

Opopanax posted:

Is Stegron the worst card with the best variants?

Stegron owns but was only even in my C5 deck so now I have no idea lol

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
my dream of kingpin getting buffed to 3/5 and making C5 hilarious is now dead

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

It seems fairly obvious to me SD are attempting like crazy to create a player environment wherein folks feel they need to spend money to stay meta relevant. I don’t think it’s malice or evil or even stupidity. I think they’re worried about keeping the lights on and figure they can solve balance issues later while urging players to spend money all the while. This isn’t even predatory. Go play Hearthstone, that whole game’s deal is “pay money to stay meta relevant.” But Snap doesn’t sell card packs so they’re desperately trying to find a way to create that environment without outright manipulation.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I don't hate the Alioth nerf; he was really loving oppressive. They went a bit too far in the other direction, but poo poo, that's what further patches are for. I'd give him Galactus-style "if you are ahead at this location" language, personally -- you shouldn't have to be winning the entire game for him to work, just that one location.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

You know what, I'm kind of liking new Chavez. Obviously a massive nerf from what she was, but what it is now is actually decent imo.

Running Chavez in Shaw/Surfer and it's definitely pulling it's weight so far. Hitting Shaw makes Chavez a 2/7, can hit Brood and Abs Man as well making it a 2/9, and there's really not a bad card for her to hit in the deck outside of Nova.

sailormoon
Jun 28, 2014

fighting evil by moonlight
winning love by daylight

MagicCube posted:

You know what, I'm kind of liking new Chavez. Obviously a massive nerf from what she was, but what it is now is actually decent imo.

Running Chavez in Shaw/Surfer and it's definitely pulling it's weight so far. Hitting Shaw makes Chavez a 2/7, can hit Brood and Abs Man as well making it a 2/9, and there's really not a bad card for her to hit in the deck outside of Nova.

What deck are you running? Pretty interested in copying it

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

sailormoon posted:

What deck are you running? Pretty interested in copying it

Been running pretty well with this in the early hours. Shaw gets massive in one lane and then Brood/Abs Man the other two lanes and you're cooking.

# (1) Forge
# (1) Nova
# (2) Okoye
# (2) America Chavez
# (3) Brood
# (3) Silver Surfer
# (3) Killmonger
# (3) Nakia
# (3) Sebastian Shaw
# (3) Polaris
# (4) Absorbing Man
# (5) Sera
#
eyJDYXJkcyI6W3siQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiTm92YSJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiS2lsbG1vbmdlciJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiU2lsdmVyU3VyZmVyIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJTZXJhIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJGb3JnZSJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiT2tveWUifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6Ik5ha2lhIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJCcm9vZCJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiU2ViYXN0aWFuU2hhdyJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiUG9sYXJpcyJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiQWJzb3JiaW5nTWFuIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJBbWVyaWNhQ2hhdmV6In1dfQ==
#

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
The deck i have set up right now as a total newbie

1: Forge, Nightcrawler, Quicksilver, Ebony Maw,
2: Kraven, Medusa
3: Ironheart, Wolfsbane, Hulk Buster
4: Enchantress
5: Iron Man
6: Onslaught.

I assume this layout really sucks - tips?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Sandwolf posted:

It seems fairly obvious to me SD are attempting like crazy to create a player environment wherein folks feel they need to spend money to stay meta relevant. I don’t think it’s malice or evil or even stupidity. I think they’re worried about keeping the lights on and figure they can solve balance issues later while urging players to spend money all the while. This isn’t even predatory. Go play Hearthstone, that whole game’s deal is “pay money to stay meta relevant.” But Snap doesn’t sell card packs so they’re desperately trying to find a way to create that environment without outright manipulation.

I think you're half right. SD has stated that they want to have the metagame never 'settle' completely - they want things to be perpetually in flux and never really 'solved'. Thus we have weekly card releases, twice monthly OTAs, etc.

Where I don't think you're right is in assuming it's primarily profit motivated. I think they have a Vision and will do their darndest to push the game into it, regardless of how happy the player base actually is.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Turn 6 Snowguard Hawk short circuiting Magik players' dreams never gets old.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:

Pillowpants posted:

Quicksilver is one of the worst cards in the game and you definitely don't need him with that many one drops. Kraven is decent in some decks but you've only got Nightcrawler to activate him so he's not doing much. Maybe consider dropping those two and adding Squirrel Girl and Kazar.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

Pillowpants posted:

For most people the best early deck is a Ka-Zar deck that focuses on one-drops. I'd recommend using the Deck Builder on MarvelSnapZone and filtering results so you only see decks that you can build (Pool 1 or 2).

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

victorious posted:

For most people the best early deck is a Ka-Zar deck that focuses on one-drops. I'd recommend using the Deck Builder on MarvelSnapZone and filtering results so you only see decks that you can build (Pool 1 or 2).

How do i know when i have all of one pool and have moved on?

NVM, it starts at 475 and im only at 307

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

Pillowpants posted:

How do i know when i have all of one pool and have moved on?

NVM, it starts at 475 and im only at 307

Pool 1 is until you hit Collection Level 214. Pool 2 goes til CL 474. There's more good info and some decks here: https://marvelsnapzone.com/marvel-snap-progression-guide/

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Pillowpants posted:

Hard to give tips without knowing your CL.

Quicksilver is a newbie trap; one of your first lessons is to cut him out of your deck and learn that it is okay if you don't have a play on turn 1. In general, at low CL, brute force beats clever gimmicks, because you don't have the cards that make those gimmicks actually work yet. Kraven shouldn't be there; nobody in that deck besides Nightcrawler is moving, and he's sub-par if he's never powering up. Your deck is otherwise all over the place but that's extremely common at low CL. Remember that Enchantress nukes every Ongoing; keep her out of Iron Man's lane. You only have the one Ongoing in Iron Man and while Iron Man/Onslaught is absolutely a bomb combo at low CL, another early lesson everyone needs to learn is that you need to win two locations by a single point, not one location by a huge margin. I'd cut Onslaught and put Hulk in there.

edit: Okay, you're 307, so you have full Pool One. That means you've got Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur; that's a pretty good early combo. Why don't you cut Kraven and Wolfsbane for them?

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Dec 6, 2023

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

Pillowpants posted:

Without knowing what cards you have access to it's difficult to suggest any specific changes, but it looks like you built the deck with a focus on low cost cards . I don't remember exactly what cards are available when you're just starting out but you are probably better off replacing some of your 1 cost cards with some bigger bodies. There's no guarantee that you will draw Enchantress, Iron Man and Onslaught, especially in that order, so you may end up having to play . Having a mana curve is not as important in Snap as it is in other deck builders so it's not a big deal if you have nothing to play on turn 1. There are some decks that use Blue Marvel and Kazar to focus on 1-cost cards but you'll be facing a lot of decks who play Killmonger and could kill half your board.

Onslaught+Iron Man is a bit overkill considering that you have no other Ongoing cards to pair Onslaught with. I would probably replace Quicksilver with Blue Marvel if you have it, and consider adding Klaw which pairs better with Onslaught than Iron Man does. Kraven is also probably not going to perform that well since you have no way to trigger his effect except for Nightcrawler, I would probably take him out unless you see a lot of people playing Move decks in your pool but even then you'd probably be better off not relying on your opponent to give you extra power.

AloePieceOfShit
Jan 26, 2020
Alot of people are turn 5 Sera'ing rn so it's a great time to play Leech decks. Gotta SNAP aggressively, but it's been pretty consistently working in the 70s.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
So I’ve never played a card game like this and just kinda built the deck sssuming I’d need a bunch of low cost cards to fill in gaps later and a few high point cards, but I’m clearly going at it the wrong way even if it’s really fun.

For reference I have 18 card ms with 5-6 cost

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Pillowpants posted:

So I’ve never played a card game like this and just kinda built the deck sssuming I’d need a bunch of low cost cards to fill in gaps later and a few high point cards, but I’m clearly going at it the wrong way even if it’s really fun.

For reference I have 18 card ms with 5-6 cost
Don't stress about it. You're new and you're learning.

Another lesson: it is okay to not spend all your energy every turn. (Some cards you'll get later will even reward you for this.)

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:

Sandwolf posted:

Disagree, The new albums feature with the best reward being an Emoji I'm feelin tempted to spend monies to stay meta relevant.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Alright - Quicksilver, Kraven, Wolfsbane, and Onsalught are out - BLue Marvel, Moon Girl, Devil Dinosaur, and Hulk are in.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.

Pillowpants posted:

Alright - Quicksilver, Kraven, Wolfsbane, and Onsalught are out - BLue Marvel, Moon Girl, Devil Dinosaur, and Hulk are in.

Just to add in, the new auto deck builder feature actually spits out pretty legit setups, so don't be afraid to give it a go and see what it recommends!

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

100 credits for sharing your season recap again: https://www.marvelsnap.com/battlerecap/s18

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Network42
Oct 23, 2002

Getting all the dumb Hipp variants has finally paid off, bask in my glow. (I was missing Klaw but he was in the shop today)