Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Gabagool posted:

Correct.

Also, Cubs are not aware that they're out: https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1732164745812222212

Oh cool two reports from the two guys who I explicitly do not trust. Very helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
I made a comment earlier tonight, that I guess, went out over the air that I am deeply ashamed of. If I have hurt Shohei Ohtani, I can’t tell you how much I say, from the bottom of my heart, I’m so very very sorry. I pride myself and think of myself as a man of business - as there’s a conversation with the blue jays, it will be a long one. And so that will make it a 500 million contract.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

abuse culture. posted:

I made a comment earlier tonight, that I guess, went out over the air that I am deeply ashamed of. If I have hurt Shohei Ohtani, I can’t tell you how much I say, from the bottom of my heart, I’m so very very sorry. I pride myself and think of myself as a man of business - as there’s a conversation with the blue jays, it will be a long one. And so that will make it a 500 million contract.

:golfclap:

Gabagool
Jul 20, 2020

Sydin posted:

Oh cool two reports from the two guys who I explicitly do not trust. Very helpful.

https://twitter.com/amartinez_11/status/1732167945583759762

better source, i'm not encouraged but at least counsell isn't out there yapping about the tour of the troughs and scoreboard

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Draft lottery results

quote:

18. Tampa Bay Rays
17. Milwaukee Brewers
16. Miami Marlins
15. Seattle Mariners
14. Chicago Cubs
13. San Francisco Giants
12. Boston Red Sox
11. Detroit Tigers
10. Washington Nationals
9. Pittsburgh Pirates
8. Los Angeles Angels
7. St. Louis Cardinals
6. Kansas City Royals
5. Chicago White Sox
4. Oakland Athletics
3. Colorado Rockies
2. Cincinnati Reds
1. Cleveland Guardians

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004
I hate the lottery so drat much

Royals have the second worst record and pick at 6. :bang:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Draft lottery results

I had to look up the article on mlb.com because I have no idea how the lottery actually works and this rule is wild

quote:

Three other teams -- the Mets, Padres and Yankees -- that were eligible for the lottery also dropped in the first round. The Mets had the seventh-best odds (4.3 percent) to win that top pick, but because they, along with the Padres and Yankees, exceeded the second surcharge threshold of the Competitive Balance Tax, they will have their first overall pick dropped 10 spots because they did not land one of the top six picks in the lottery. That means the Mets will pick No. 19, while the Padres and Yankees will pick at Nos. 25 and 26, respectively.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
It’s deeply silly for the Ohio teams to get the first two picks, but on the other hand, gently caress tanking

I’ll laugh my rear end off if the A’s spend half a decade chasing the Cleveland Spiders so they can move to Vegas and don’t ever see a #1 overall pick out of it

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

mdemone posted:

You could probably call it cultural, but it's more of a deference thing. He doesn't want to embarrass the franchise he's currently a part of, I think it's as straightforward as that.

Edit: also he famously values his privacy.

He is not currently part of any franchise, do you think he is unaware of what 'free agency' is

bawfuls posted:

If Ohtani genuinely considers the very bland comments Dave Roberts made (yes we met a few days ago, I thought it went well, he's amazing, he's his own man it's up to him) to be a disqualifying leak, then lol ok I guess. I'd hardly consider that a leak or novel information on negotiations. Is he really that much of a diva/narcissist? I didn't think so, but maybe we'll find out.

On the other hand Dave Roberts has a long, elite-level track record of straight up lying about the health of his players. Kershaw and Gonsolin were 100% healthy this year until one day they got surgery.

If Ohtani is really pissed off that Dave Roberts gushed about having spoken to him, what the Dodgers could and probably would do is fire him to placate Ohtani.

I'm both more on the "managers matter" side than most people today are, and also more on the "Dave Roberts is a pretty good manager (at least in the regular season)" wagon than most people today are, but there has never been a manager nearly as valuable to a team as Ohtani is, and if there has been Dave Roberts sure as poo poo ain't it. If Ohtani breathed a hint of a threat to walk away over something Roberts did the Dodgers would axe him without a second thought.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Dec 6, 2023

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Whatever Ohtani's motivation for wanting teams to keep things quiet, doing the one specific thing his camp asks teams not to do seems like a bad idea

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The Cubs are out because there is absolutely no sign that this ownership group would invest that kind of money into a player. Outside of a few years, they've mostly been cheap.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The Cubs probably offered a straight 15/500 whereas Ohtani's agent is asking for more like 12/600 with 3 opt outs

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
https://twitter.com/cubszone/status/1732176043438715211?t=SqCk3UxbSeOFaJut1RunmA

post the audio cowards

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I hope his rage adds enough to the Cubs offer they land our new BFF Ohtani.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

If Roberts blabber mouth is what gets him fired, lmao

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Draft lottery results

Top 2 picks belong to the 10th and 15th worst teams lol. There were 3 teams tied at 82-80, Reds, Yankees and Padres. At least we all dodged a bullet there

Another kick in the balls for As fans

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Dec 6, 2023

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Tony Phillips posted:

Dave Roberts standing there with a bowl full of brown M&Ms like a dumbass.

Thank you for saying this so I didn't have to.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

lol owned

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Sydin posted:

I think it's less cultural and more that Ohtani himself is just a very introverted and private dude who wants to minimize the drama around the negotiations as much as possible. Him insisting on teams keeping negotiations secret means it's much less likely word of those negotiations will leak to the media and result in a bunch of MLB reporters showing up at the place/time they're taking place as well.

If you're an introverted and private celebrity, then maybe Los Angeles isn't the city for you.

Everything Bob says makes me more convinced the Cubs are gonna get Ohtani.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/CubsZone/status/1732181585057780183

Personally I am shocked and appalled that Bob Nightengale would report on something that didn't turn out to be true.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!

Tony Phillips posted:

Dave Roberts standing there with a bowl full of brown M&Ms like a dumbass.

i appreciated this so much

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

If you're an introverted and private celebrity, then maybe Los Angeles isn't the city for you.

Are you being serious? LA is absolutely the most desirable location for introverted/private sports celebrities. We see famous people all the time around here, we don't give them poo poo. It's LA rule #1. Also, famous people don't go to where tourists visit here so they live very nice relatively anonymous lives.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1732185416240070899?s=20

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

How is Bob always wrong? Do teams give him fake info on purpose?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

lmao ohtani is still signing with the Dodgers, a guy isn't going to turn down a gazillion dollar contract with a super team in the place he wants to live because a manager said something.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

He probably isn't wrong on this. I can't believe people think the Cubs are going to actually pay Ohtani money.

Anyway, this rumor has gone around by a bunch of reporters. 1 year of Glasnow for like 5 of Morel seems dumb but they need pitching and don't want to spend.

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/1732125432378437789

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Niwrad posted:

He probably isn't wrong on this. I can't believe people think the Cubs are going to actually pay Ohtani money.

Anyway, this rumor has gone around by a bunch of reporters. 1 year of Glasnow for like 5 of Morel seems dumb but they need pitching and don't want to spend.

If the Rays are moving on from a guy you probably don't want him.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Niwrad posted:

"One year" of Glasnow

So like 12 starts

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Yeah but it makes the Cubs look like they're trying and they don't have to commit to 4-5 years of a real starter.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Intruder posted:

"One year" of Glasnow

So like 12 starts

Yeah it would already be kinda iffy to trade five controlled years of a young guy who just hit 25 HR's for a SP rental - even an ace - but this is for a guy who'll maybe give you 100ish IP before his elbow inevitably implodes again and Assad gets shuffled back into the rotation. Cubs have been all over the Glasnow trade rumors and even excluding the new Morel stuff I just do not get it, go out and get an FA who might actually give you a full season of innings! Glasnow isn't even all that cheap, he's owed like $25M next year!!!

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I am fairly certain the Cubs are not dumb enough to trade Morel for Glasnow and it should take more than a Bob tweet saying his name “surfaced” to panic about it

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah but again even ignoring the Morel stuff, why the hell do the Cubs want Glasnow? They've been connected to trading for him for weeks now by multiple sources and it makes no sense. He's not cheap, he's not a long term solution, and while he is a TOR when healthy, he's never loving healthy. Trading for him is just giving the Rays a bunch of prospects so they can salary dump a broken pitcher, it makes zero goddamn sense.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Ideally you don't have to give up anything of real note to trade for him and you're basically making a decently-high-upside gamble on him being healthy by the time the playoffs roll around — the kind of piece you add in addition to an actual reliable TOR guy. If you wanna take a pessimist's view then they're lining him up for when we fail to land any of the big name free agents so they can go "Look, if you squint it's kind of an ace!"

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

xbilkis posted:

Ideally you don't have to give up anything of real note to trade for him and you're basically making a decently-high-upside gamble on him being healthy by the time the playoffs roll around — the kind of piece you add in addition to an actual reliable TOR guy. If you wanna take a pessimist's view then they're lining him up for when we fail to land any of the big name free agents so they can go "Look, if you squint it's kind of an ace!"
He's on the Rays, he will cost precisely the 2 prospects you will most regret giving up 5 years from now.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
This is the same team that traded Eloy at peak prospect status for fuckin Jose Quintana

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Sydin posted:

Yeah but again even ignoring the Morel stuff, why the hell do the Cubs want Glasnow? They've been connected to trading for him for weeks now by multiple sources and it makes no sense. He's not cheap, he's not a long term solution, and while he is a TOR when healthy, he's never loving healthy. Trading for him is just giving the Rays a bunch of prospects so they can salary dump a broken pitcher, it makes zero goddamn sense.

Sub 3 FIP guys don't grow on trees, even the ones that are injury prone, and they won't have to give up that much to get him.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

This is the same team that traded Eloy at peak prospect status for fuckin Jose Quintana

Eloy has been doing the Byron Buxton speedrun of insanely talented young OF slugger who can never actually play meaningful time because his legs are made of hopes and dreams. Like it's bad enough that even with his mediocre pitching on the Cubs Quintana put up more WAR with them (7.2 fWAR) than Eloy has his whole career with the Sox (5.4).

xbilkis posted:

The Rays are going to demand a king's ransom for him because they're the Rays, and betting on Glasnow's health in any capacity is a clown shoes-rear end bet.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

but but both these teams admitted to having met with him!!

https://twitter.com/ThomasHall85/status/1732174094085292109

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Sydin posted:

Eloy has been doing the Byron Buxton speedrun of insanely talented young OF slugger who can never actually play meaningful time because his legs are made of hopes and dreams. Like it's bad enough that even with his mediocre pitching on the Cubs Quintana put up more WAR with them (7.2 fWAR) than Eloy has his whole career with the Sox (5.4).

The Rays are going to demand a king's ransom for him because they're the Rays, and betting on Glasnow's health in any capacity is a clown shoes-rear end bet.

Well yeah we know that NOW but back when he was a highly touted prospect they basically gave him away.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

lmao get his rear end Jed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

bawfuls posted:

but but both these teams admitted to having met with him!!

https://twitter.com/ThomasHall85/status/1732174094085292109

Don't you dare group the Jays in with the rule breaking Dodgers