Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'm really tempted, honestly...I'm still in the first temperate zone of the first map and the combat is getting better, I don't die as easily and I feel like things are becoming a bit more managable; I still don't understand how to tame animals, and the game runs a bit poorly but I'm having fun just doing the open world thing. I have Ark and the like but it runs such like butt and there's just so much going on I can't see myself playing it unless it's with a group of friends, or if you turn some of the decay wayyyyy down in solo
ASE/ASA tips for hilarity: turn up XP gain for you all the way. Turn up resource gain all the way. Max out the amount dinos get from levels. Laugh when your Lystro kills an alpha rex.

(I picked up ASA and am currently working on a monkey army for boss fights. Lower level tames are actually better for this, because after gaining like 15 levels they have boss health and do 70k% damage. I went semi-afk the other night and watched my shoulder monkey kill something just by throwing poo at it. Not the intended way to play, but drat if it isn't funny.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

SubponticatePoster posted:

ASE/ASA tips for hilarity: turn up XP gain for you all the way. Turn up resource gain all the way. Max out the amount dinos get from levels. Laugh when your Lystro kills an alpha rex.

(I picked up ASA and am currently working on a monkey army for boss fights. Lower level tames are actually better for this, because after gaining like 15 levels they have boss health and do 70k% damage. I went semi-afk the other night and watched my shoulder monkey kill something just by throwing poo at it. Not the intended way to play, but drat if it isn't funny.)

Did they finally fix all the freezing and crashing?

I couldn't go 10 minutes without the game soft locking on me when I tried it when it first went to EA.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish
Looks like the next DLC part for The Long Dark is out, earlier than expected it seems.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9Jy7KAvDus

A bit more of a made made environment than I prefer on the new map and I don't love the idea of toxic wolves, honestly I think I prefer the free stuff but that's just personal taste.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Obenseur update that fixes some of the stuff talked about in thread

https://github.com/loiste-interactive/Obenseuer-Issues/blob/main/CHANGES.md

e. And now you can't rent capsule bed. One door opens, the other closes.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Dec 6, 2023

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

RandomBlue posted:

Did they finally fix all the freezing and crashing?

I couldn't go 10 minutes without the game soft locking on me when I tried it when it first went to EA.
I played around 40 hours before I had any crashes, and then something hosed up badly enough to make the save not load at all. From what I got out of the error reports some of my garden plots were glitched or somesuch, so I deleted the save and started over. Since then I've had a couple crashes but not constant. Do get the occasional freezing, generally when on a flyer. Other than that no real issues, I understand other people have had much worse experiences.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

CuddleCryptid posted:

Obenseur update that fixes some of the stuff talked about in thread

https://github.com/loiste-interactive/Obenseuer-Issues/blob/main/CHANGES.md

e. And now you can't rent capsule bed. One door opens, the other closes.

I just slept various beds in Deekula A and B if ive not got business in my tenement.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Synthbuttrange posted:

I just slept various beds in Deekula A and B if ive not got business in my tenement.

Same, I don't know that "unsafe" beds actually do anything.

I've somewhat hit a wall with it, if anyone knows how to get the real passport password could they give me a hint? I tried the wrong one that you get earlier and after that hit a brick wall.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

CuddleCryptid posted:

I've somewhat hit a wall with it, if anyone knows how to get the real passport password could they give me a hint? I tried the wrong one that you get earlier and after that hit a brick wall.

Try looking at another shop in Deekula C, they might know something.

I wonder if unsafe beds are causing my watches to get stolen because I've had to replace them a few timies. I could just be carelessly selling them at the shop though.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

CuddleCryptid posted:

Unsafe beds are supposed to have a chance of advancing your fungal infection or you losing money, but no idea if they actually do yet. lovely beds will make your depression worse at least.

And yeah, once you advance in building your tenement, squatter guy will give you a quest to get a passport, and that'll unlock more dialogue options with certain people, one which will eventually get you the real password.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Bed safety is not yet implemented AFAIK. The idea I heard is that it is both Crime and/or Cop safety. If you have a bounty (and maybe stolen stuff?) cops can come grab ya. Not sure if they have plans for thefts from you regarding that. You can still see a safety rating, and you'll notice it improves from unsafe, to somewhat, to safe as you go from no walls, to walls I and then walls II.

That said I might be wrong, I was piecing stuff together on their discord from searching weeks ago, so maybe its like Jawnycat said with fungal infection?

At least prior to today's patch, there was still some periodic "poo poo disappearing from your apartment or apartment storages" bugs, but they've been improving. I haven't had anything disappear since updating but I'm still paranoid about it. If you're losing your watch, I bet you sold it. (I've done this more than I'd be willing to admit.)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Goddammit after in-game weeks of living in obenseuer I finally figure out how to use the sauna correctly.

Its not enough to just stay in the hot room, you have to throw water onto the rocks once the temp is at least 60c. Also you can button mash on the water bucket to rapidly achieve the benefits of doing the sauna, so you can max it out before you start burning in only a minute. Bring a tub of water because you'll get severely dehydrated tho. On the plus side I cured all my addictions and depression a few days after finding that out.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Yeah you need to splash enough water in that the room starts to get visibly steamy. I just don't really know how long you are supposed to stay in, since it doesn't seem to indicate addiction levels dropping while you are in there.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

Goddammit after in-game weeks of living in obenseuer I finally figure out how to use the sauna correctly.

Its not enough to just stay in the hot room, you have to throw water onto the rocks once the temp is at least 60c.

Here you learn stuff from games you can apply to real life if you ever visit Finland.

Also, how about that Medieval Dynasty? When I tried it solo, it was very tedious and I ended up getting rid of carrying restrictions to get anywhere while building. But now there's a co-op mode for maximum of 4 people and I thought maybe to try it out again, perhaps doing stuff together would make it a bit more efficient.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

TeaJay posted:

Also, how about that Medieval Dynasty? When I tried it solo, it was very tedious and I ended up getting rid of carrying restrictions to get anywhere while building. But now there's a co-op mode for maximum of 4 people and I thought maybe to try it out again, perhaps doing stuff together would make it a bit more efficient.

I was wondering the same thing. I liked MD quite a bit but it was for sure a laborious sorta game. I have a friend I've been cycling through co-op survival games with lately who has gamepass so we might have to hit that up. Edit: Seems like this update is only on Steam, xbox/gamepass getting estimated Q1/Q2 next year :(

Edit: Anyone know anything about this Lego Fortnite thing? I'm also going to be checking that out I think.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Dec 7, 2023

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I like MD but I dunno that I could say it *isn't* boring. It's just the correct kind of boring for me.

Going to start a new save later in the new map, now we can make a custom character.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

CuddleCryptid posted:

Yeah you need to splash enough water in that the room starts to get visibly steamy. I just don't really know how long you are supposed to stay in, since it doesn't seem to indicate addiction levels dropping while you are in there.
My understanding is it doesn't directly lower addictions, just makes you happier, so you can tolerate the penalty from having untended addictions longer.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Reporting back about the Fortnite Lego Survival mode after 10 minutes: they made a survival game in fortnite with lego.

Seriously though it seems pretty simple from the start so I have no idea how much depth there is to it but you have a hunger bar and get hot and cold and have to build shacks and punch trees so it's checking all those boxes. Big big bonus points for them taking the Grounded method of allowing you to share a 'Key' with friends who can access the same game while you're offline, effectively making free dedicated server functionality. The biggest bummer for me is that the world is just a normal looking Fortnite map (though randomly generated) and not made of lego like I was sort of envisioning when I heard about this mode, though that might be getting into "should be a separate game" territory. Animals and things you craft are all lego though and the building seems kinda fun.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Dec 7, 2023

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

explosivo posted:

Reporting back about the Fortnite Lego Survival mode after 10 minutes: they made a survival game in fortnite with lego.

Seriously though it seems pretty simple from the start so I have no idea how much depth there is to it but you have a hunger bar and get hot and cold and have to build shacks and punch trees so it's checking all those boxes. Big big bonus points for them taking the Grounded method of allowing you to share a 'Key' with friends who can access the same game while you're offline, effectively making free dedicated server functionality. The biggest bummer for me is that the world is just a normal looking Fortnite map (though randomly generated) and not made of lego like I was sort of envisioning when I heard about this mode, though that might be getting into "should be a separate game" territory.

I am sure I am by far not the first person to say this but isn't that just Minecraft?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

CuddleCryptid posted:

I am sure I am by far not the first person to say this but isn't that just Minecraft?

I mean, yeah it's Minecraft but free and in Fortnite. I heard a figure that they had close to 3 million people playing it earlier today after it launched. It doesn't seem like anything special beyond the Lego aspect but it's in Fortnite so a gently caress ton of people are going to play it.

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork
Meanwhile my Obenseuer fellow seems to have ascended beyond the need for sleep, like it's been two or three in game days without seeing a hint of the sleepiness meter. It's getting somewhat concerning. I did drink a rather large amount of coffee at one point (before realising that it neither gave cooking skill nor slaked thirst) but it was right after waking up and surely it shouldn't keep me up THAT long. Gulped down a full pack of presecription sleeping pills which killed my mental health but still didn't bring sleep.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

CuddleCryptid posted:

Feels more like Valheim than Minecraft from the half hour I played in Survival mode.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

explosivo posted:

Seriously though it seems pretty simple from the start so I have no idea how much depth there is to it but you have a hunger bar and get hot and cold and have to build shacks and punch trees so it's checking all those boxes. Big big bonus points for them taking the Grounded method of allowing you to share a 'Key' with friends who can access the same game while you're offline, effectively making free dedicated server functionality. The biggest bummer for me is that the world is just a normal looking Fortnite map (though randomly generated) and not made of lego like I was sort of envisioning when I heard about this mode, though that might be getting into "should be a separate game" territory. Animals and things you craft are all lego though and the building seems kinda fun.
I'm extremely excited to play this with my kid and then have him play with his friends. The Lego site laid out a lot of details to alleviate my concerns about online safety

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Bardeh posted:

Feels more like Valheim than Minecraft from the half hour I played in Survival mode.

Yeah I put some more time in and was thinking the same. The building system is actually pretty nice, has premade buildings but you can also build them manually, lets you nudge pieces with the arrow keys and that sorta thing. Also the game is gorgeous with RTX on. I'm not saying it's a masterpiece but it doesn't feel like an early access game and has really good co-op support. Could see this being huge for parents + kids, my friend at work was stoked to play with his kid.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

thark posted:

Meanwhile my Obenseuer fellow seems to have ascended beyond the need for sleep, like it's been two or three in game days without seeing a hint of the sleepiness meter. It's getting somewhat concerning. I did drink a rather large amount of coffee at one point (before realising that it neither gave cooking skill nor slaked thirst) but it was right after waking up and surely it shouldn't keep me up THAT long. Gulped down a full pack of presecription sleeping pills which killed my mental health but still didn't bring sleep.

That sounds like a bug, since prescription pills will take your sleep meter from completely full (aka you just woke up) to flashing red within like twenty in-game minutes with just one pill. I use them as a timeskip, combined with the best bed you can get and no addictions it results in a net null on depression gain/loss.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

explosivo posted:

Yeah I put some more time in and was thinking the same. The building system is actually pretty nice, has premade buildings but you can also build them manually, lets you nudge pieces with the arrow keys and that sorta thing. Also the game is gorgeous with RTX on. I'm not saying it's a masterpiece but it doesn't feel like an early access game and has really good co-op support. Could see this being huge for parents + kids, my friend at work was stoked to play with his kid.
How's the level of content? I mean is there a lot to do or is it mostly a flat sandbox?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

this'll gently caress up the economy if i can find a place to buy it

edit: it turns out no I cant find anyone to buy it lmao.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Dec 8, 2023

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Vib Rib posted:

How's the level of content? I mean is there a lot to do or is it mostly a flat sandbox?

I played more tonight with a couple friends, and I've really come around on it. There's a (fairly light) village management aspect where you can recruit villagers that wander through your base who need places to stay and give them jobs like collecting resources or refining resources on the equipment. Villages level up from 1-10 and each level gives some sort of buff or increases the amount of villagers you can have (max of 6 I think so nothing too crazy). We found a couple caves with big spiders to fight for materials, there's roaming skeletons and giant terrifying wolves at night, the building seems pretty robust so far too. I can't tell how much deeper this goes but it's already exceeded my expectations for a free side thing built within Fortnite.

Edit: Great graphics and attention to detail go a long way too if you were a lego kid. It's fun seeing all the lego pieces rendered in unbelievably high quality.

GrunkleStalin
Aug 13, 2021

Deketh posted:

Looks like the next DLC part for The Long Dark is out, earlier than expected it seems.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9Jy7KAvDus

A bit more of a made made environment than I prefer on the new map and I don't love the idea of toxic wolves, honestly I think I prefer the free stuff but that's just personal taste.

No safe house customization :mad:

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Synthbuttrange posted:

this'll gently caress up the economy if i can find a place to buy it

edit: it turns out no I cant find anyone to buy it lmao.

Yeah I made some gold watches and now I'm just 'wearing' one because yeah, no one can afford it lol.

Man, I didn't realize just how much you can craft. I got a furnace and lathe finally and man, you can seriously craft almost any of the metal things. Ingots, slabs, and sheets can all be smelted and then made into mechanical parts, lock picks, scrap, etc. I've started up a biogas generator (which is new!) and I can make my own yeast now with a chemistry bench. The crafting isn't exactly thrilling but I can spend whole days running between various workstations now, loading up all my mash and fermenters and all that jazz, then running back to metalworking.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Now I want to start a Vintage story game again because the crafting in it so much fun. Medieval Dynasty is a nice management sim but the crafting isn’t as chunky as VS.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Synthbuttrange posted:

Try looking at another shop in Deekula C, they might know something.

I wonder if unsafe beds are causing my watches to get stolen because I've had to replace them a few timies. I could just be carelessly selling them at the shop though.

Do I need to buy the bridge first? There's the bridge place, mushroom shop, and furniture store, and none of them seem to help.

e. Never mind, you can't sequence break getting the item, you have to wait to be given a proper quest to get it which starts in that location.

e2. actually, When I attempt to complete the quest by going into the mines it says they are not in the game yet. So you just can't get a passport right now?

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Dec 9, 2023

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

CuddleCryptid posted:

e2. actually, When I attempt to complete the quest by going into the mines it says they are not in the game yet. So you just can't get a passport right now?

Correct, that's the end of the current content.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Jawnycat posted:

Correct, that's the end of the current content.

So there's no way into the bazar to access any of the shops yet? Boo

I don't strictly need it but it would be nice, especially for selling stolen goods

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork
Oskutin commented Dec 9, 2023
Drinking ~2L of coffee, seems to cause -500 tiredness, meaning that doesn't need to sleep for a week.

Welp. Mistakes were made, apparently. (I wish it worked that well in real life...)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh, Passmore buys stuff for real money. I could sell him some jewellry I found. Gotta try bringing a gold watch tomorrow.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Oh, Passmore buys stuff for real money. I could sell him some jewellry I found. Gotta try bringing a gold watch tomorrow.

There's no trader in the game that buys gold items. Kinda weird imo that they even include those in the game currently.

chird
Sep 26, 2004

Only had time to set up a world but Lego Fortnite feels like a nice place to hang out, the Lumen light effects are nice. Wondering if it's deep enough in it to play alone or best kept as a game to play with the kids.

#SaveSaveTheWorld :(

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

grate deceiver posted:

There's no trader in the game that buys gold items. Kinda weird imo that they even include those in the game currently.

I feel like it's when the Forest gives you paper money to literally burn. It's there to show that you can find what would normally be extremely valuable but is at best a fancy paperweight in a survival economy.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

grate deceiver posted:

Passmore can afford some gold items, but usually only one or two a day. Not watches ever, though.

E: I’ve never tried to see if it’s possible to “seed” him with enough cash to get a gold watch sold. I think you buy from him in OC and sell in RM, though, so it’s probably not possible to buy all his stuff to increase his RM.

When you really start selling and bankrupt shops daily budgets, you can sometimes sneak in a few more sales if they have anything you want to buy.

Anime Store Adventure fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Going from Icarus' free weekend to previously unplayed copy of Starsand: :lol:
Not my best idea, but an interesting contrast in odd decisions. Both base openworld Icarus at previous sale price and Starsand at it's current sale price are decent values but probably third tier in my survival backlog.

For instance, the world map. In Icarus, the world map autofills but you can't put more than one marker at the start. In Starsand, the map of the desert starts blank, and stays blank. You have to build structural markers to display your current location on it, and then place permanent markers because the storms will destroy the structural ones. Your location is never displayed on the map, just what you mark and the structural markers you built. As well, you have no compass. This game wants you to get lost in the dunes, climbing them, and casting your eyes over the horizon for any features.

Icarus has those ridiculous defense waves and the very cowardly/aggressive wildlife. Starsand has passive wildlife, reasonably aggressive wildlife, and those damned sandworms who are psychotically fixated on your location. Also, poison never wears off unless you take an antidote. It won't kill you, but combined with those sandworms it can make for a unpleasant surprise if you've wasted the fruit you need for an antidote and can't heal up enough to fend off those sandworms. The game wants its unpleasant surprises but you can manage them, if you can manage your tiny starting inventory first.

Switching to gamepass to try out Conan, Grounded, No Man's Sky - and if none of those strike my fancy, my second tier is games I've already played on Steam. Perhaps Subnautica with a large selection of mods, maybe a shader or graphics overhaul if I'm not overwhelmed by the variety of options I've already found. Maybe Valheim because I still haven't played it yet and I don't need bleeding edge graphics. Or one of a few other titles that I don't have anything to say about right now. That sense of shame I feel upon seeing Starbound in my steam inventory (perhaps I should hide that from the list).