Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

those british nuclear bombs have a chance to shut down coal power plants, if only someone would use them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

I went to Sellafield Visitors Centre for New Year’s Day in 2000 or something. Was pretty cool. Hot some rainbow glasses that made me look like flamingly gay Geordie LaForge

No cancer or hot rocks, though.

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

Trabisnikof posted:

from that site (formerly known as Windscale), the british government estimates 100-300 people so far and they have a bit of a history of lying and downplaying risks from their nuclear weapons industry so that should be considered a lower bound

yeah and the whole point is Windscale didn't even generate any electricity, it didn't offset any coal power plants. all we got were lovely British nuclear bombs which is why it "doesn't count" towards the deaths caused by the nuclear industry because gotcha

Oh, so you were complaining about that one particular plant and not nuclear in general. My apology I misunderstood.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Trabisnikof posted:

from that site (formerly known as Windscale), the british government estimates 100-300 people so far and they have a bit of a history of lying and downplaying risks from their nuclear weapons industry so that should be considered a lower bound

yeah and the whole point is Windscale didn't even generate any electricity, it didn't offset any coal power plants. all we got were lovely British nuclear bombs which is why it "doesn't count" towards the deaths caused by the nuclear industry because gotcha

Using the safety of pile reactors from the 1940s as your template for assessing the risks of a nuclear plant built in 2023 doesn't make any sense. I'm sure you could find or explain a good argument about why nuclear power is bad, but come on... They literally built a pile of uranium bricks with holes in it and pushed the radioactive slugs out of the side using big wooden poles.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Salt Fish posted:

Using the safety of pile reactors from the 1940s as your template for assessing the risks of a nuclear plant built in 2023 doesn't make any sense. I'm sure you could find or explain a good argument about why nuclear power is bad, but come on... They literally built a pile of uranium bricks with holes in it and pushed the radioactive slugs out of the side using big wooden poles.

my two points are:

that first, the nuclear weapons industry did endlessly lovely things that got swept under the rug and in doing so made people rightfully suspicious of the nuclear industry as a whole. like melt down a reactor outside of LA or burn plutonium contaminated waste upwind of Denver. sure nerds can come in and say "well actually, it was a nuclear weapons related company that murdered Karen Silkwood" but that doesn't really help make it any better.

and that neoliberal capitalism wont let us build nuclear power plants at a reasonable timeframe or scale because the potential profits from being grifting motherfuckers is just too drat juicy to actually get these massive and complex projects built. compare and contrast V.C Summer NPP with Fuqing NPP.

i dont think nuclear power is bad, i think neoliberal capitalism isn't compatible with widescale nuclear deployment.

Trabisnikof has issued a correction as of 19:58 on Dec 5, 2023

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Imperial superpowers have committed war crimes with pretty much every technology that exists. The CIA committed crimes against humanity with a fake vaccine program but I still promote and take vaccines.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Salt Fish posted:

Imperial superpowers have committed war crimes with pretty much every technology that exists. The CIA committed crimes against humanity with a fake vaccine program but I still promote and take vaccines.

sure, but you understand why some people in Pakistan are now suspicious of vaccination programs, right?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I'm not defending the crimes against humanity I'm saying that imperial crimes are a given. You don't get rid of nuclear weapons by not having civilian power generation. The weapons are a given, the power is optional.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Lotta people telling me their opinions using computers here. Do you know who else used computers?

That’s right. Hitler.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Salt Fish posted:

I'm not defending the crimes against humanity I'm saying that imperial crimes are a given. You don't get rid of nuclear weapons by not having civilian power generation. The weapons are a given, the power is optional.

Sure and public opinion isnt why we’re not building nuclear power in the west, the economic system is.

We can’t build large reactors without them becoming massive grift holes for money going to contractors. We can’t build SMRs because they’re not profitable enough (and they don’t exist yet).

Meanwhile China is actively building hundreds of new NPPs.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
china is great. I love them so much.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Stereotype posted:

china is great. I love them so much.

tihs

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

dozens, but still

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Dokapon Findom posted:

Just build more nuclear plants

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3GfHGaqO9U&t=10s

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

imagine tesla trying to do this instead of installing solar panels on a walmart

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLzatXRdYaw

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
The BBC interviewed Gates at COP and i just want to drop this nugget here

quote:

"Well, 1.5C is not likely to be achieved. The reduction you need for that is quite dramatic."

ok. but then,

quote:

Gates reflects that the worst scenarios of warming – for instance, an extremely dangerous 4C – are now "off the table" because of commitments to climate action.

lllllloooooooool.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
I believe that if we all work hard enough, we can turn our planet into an irradiated hothouse hell.

:blessed:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Also saw this today that the thread will enjoy

quote:

A Virgin Atlantic Boeing 787 took off from London and landed in New York last week, using only plant sugars and waste fats as fuel, in a world-first.

Can't believe they fueled up a jet aircraft with all your moms

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

also in the background of this video about a nuclear power plant there are more offshore wind turbines than ever installed in the US lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_c2wrhIrzY

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
At first you could distrust the pro-nuclear faction for obfuscating safety issues, now you can distrust them for saying actually it's safe it's just too expensive to build

It was our fault for not wanting them and now that they're apparently a necessity, oops look how expensive! As if the public ever had a realistic say in the matter

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Trabisnikof posted:

i dont think nuclear power is bad, i think neoliberal capitalism isn't compatible with widescale nuclear deployment.

"uh shouldnt we at least maintain the storage sites?"

"just toss it into the ponds and forget about it, I'm sure it'll be fine"

lol, lmao

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
nuke waste was Turned Into a Problem because the technology to deal with it (reprocessing & neutronic flux burnout or, colloquially, transmutation-annihilation:science:) was explicitly outlawed and demonized to the profit of the usual suspects

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
I am all ears for alchemy being real

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

The Protagonist posted:

nuke waste was Turned Into a Problem because the technology to deal with it (reprocessing & neutronic flux burnout or, colloquially, transmutation-annihilation:science:) was explicitly outlawed and demonized to the profit of the usual suspects

also, stuffing it deep under a mountain was deemed to be not stable enough in the long term
as opposed to where it's currently stored:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Hubbert posted:

I believe that if we all work hard enough, we can turn our planet into an irradiated hothouse hell.

:blessed:

I'm doing my part!

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Dokapon Findom posted:

I'm not sure if neutron capture and isotopic decay paths is something that is really so occult that laypeople don't even know it exists? I'd be happy to wonk the gently caress out if this is sincere

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
It's a good thing that bad actors can't use combustion reactions to kill people

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The Protagonist posted:

I'm not sure if neutron capture and isotopic decay paths is something that is really so occult that laypeople don't even know it exists? I'd be happy to wonk the gently caress out if this is sincere

Yes please

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

OIL PANIC posted:

six degrees of kelvin, baked-in

Six Degrees of Kelvin Baked-in

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

The Protagonist posted:

Look, wouldn't it be so much better for our bottom line if we made sure the extant capacity to close various fuel loops were made practically or literally illegal for drummed up nonsense we lobby to mislabel as "proliferation" concerns?

-Fossil Executives

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde
hegel may have thought the stars were a gleaming leprosy in the sky but they are in fact the very furnaces of true alchemy

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

The Protagonist posted:

:justpost: imo

jetz0r posted:

also, stuffing it deep under a mountain was deemed to be not stable enough in the long term
as opposed to where it's currently stored:
this is the thing that's funniest to me. "we" had a plan to store dangerous waste (including but not limited to radioactive) under a gigantic loving rock where it would be safe to compost itself for an eternity, barring an event like the one that spawned the literal loving moon. instead, against all common sense, we now just keep tons upon tons of this garbage in lovely, decaying concrete pools of water, many built almost 80 years ago

and despite that absurd insanity, the total death count and environmental impact of the entire nuclear industry is orders of magnitude lower than that of fossil fuels in general, and coal especially. even loving chernobyl, one of the worst industrial disasters in human history, pales in comparison to the disaster that is an average, normally operating, coal plant

lol, lmao

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i bet more people have been killed by trains carrying coal than all nuclear power gen throughout history

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Pf. Hikikomoriarty posted:

hegel may have thought the stars were a gleaming leprosy in the sky but they are in fact the very furnaces of true alchemy

thats fuckin' right, and the actinides are the still-hot embers of ancient supernovas

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

so radioactive stuff, that is, elemental isotopes (or nuclides) we observe have a tendency to radiate energy actively :haw:, are almost* always undergoing some fundamental transmutation, and so alchemy is actively happening all around us all the time in one sense. Radon creeping up from the earth everywhere is a good example.

so the difference betwixt isotopes is the count of neutrons, a difference which doesn't really influence its extant chemical nature.

yet the difference of a few neutrons can mean something being stable until the end of time changing into something that will, at some random interval, spit out raging sparks of unseen subatomic particles into space in random (or depending on your epistemology, every) directions and, as a result of the underlying energy balance, transmute into something else.

we call this a radioactive 'decay'

this can happen over and over, changing from, say just for example, thorium to protactinium to uranium, in what is called a decay chain. decay chains can bifurcate and bounce all around down the Chart of Nuclides, a graphed representation of every isotope of every element and their various decay modes and half lives and such

most lighter elements have decay chains that resolve on pretty chill timespans in the decades or a century or two at most.

the problem child are so-called 'trans-uranics', elements heavier than uranium. these represent a small fraction of the overall tailings output of fission, but are the most long-lived and make for the heart of the bogeyman of nuclear waste.

thing is, if these transuranics were to be bombarded with ample, high-energy or fast neutrons, it would cause them to absorb them, pushing them into new and ever-shorter-lived decay chains, or even forcibly break them apart, ultimately rendering them into something which will naturally decay to background in years instead of millennia

if only... if only there were some reaction which gave us an abundant current of neutrons. if only the gods had left us literal celestial firerocks, hidden in the earth, to be found, understood, and deeply respected *sighs, kicks rock*

*metastable stuff can result from some decays, where a new resultant nuclide is born with its nucleus in an excited state, analogous to electrons in excited orbitals, and will later shoot out a gamma particle when it de-excites but will remain the same element.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Dokapon Findom posted:

I'm confused by this post.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Salt Fish posted:

I'm confused by this post.

Here's all you need to know:

Dokapon Findom posted:

You'd be amazed at the books I haven't read

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I would be a huge fan of nuclear power but I have one issue with it. It doesn't transmute one type of atoms into another type of atoms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Bill Gates:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aII-rC7jS_M

Sun Qin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4zsryS0Moc

Trabisnikof has issued a correction as of 02:54 on Dec 6, 2023