Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Yardbomb posted:

Tbh Mass Effect IS pretty particularly lovely if you're a gay dude Shep, you get one minor character gay romance with Cortez and one party member gay romance across the whole first three games, then it's just Kaiden again and it's all the way in the late parts of ME3. I did a playthrough of them with legendary edition not long ago and it felt really weird noticing it like, everyone else gets at least something here and there, gay male Shep feels like they forgot that could happen.

Yeah it's not an inherently wrong statement to say that there are, at least surface-level, more queer romance options available for a female Shepard than a male one (though even then it's primarily just Liara for most of the trilogy); it's that he couldn't be bothered to even get basic loving facts right. I'm not at all surprised to learn that his co-writer also never researched anything ever, as well, because boy does that poo poo show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

you finally won all those arguments everyone's forgotten about

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

What did he say about ads? I don’t remember that part. (It’s a long rear end video and I was up til like 3AM watching it so there’s probably lots of parts I don’t remember.)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

xeria posted:

Yeah, there's probably an entire series of video essays that could be made about the history of romances and sexuality in Bioware games going all the way back to, like, Baldur's Gate 2 but boy that first screenshot is extremely "I googled 'queer romance options for female Shepard' and didn't bother to further interrogate the results", especially if he included Traynor there and not Cortez in the next slide. If he played Mass Effect at all, he probably just romanced Alenko and didn't realize there was another option in ME3, and didn't even bother with another cursory google to confirm prior to publishing.

BioWare needs to make more RPGs where you can get your romance partner pregnant, and then she has the baby, and it takes up an inventory slot permanently and the baby does nothing else ever.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Yardbomb posted:

Tbh Mass Effect IS pretty particularly lovely if you're a gay dude Shep, you get one minor character gay romance with Cortez and one party member gay romance across the whole first three games, then it's just Kaidan again and it's all the way in the late parts of ME3. I did a playthrough of them with legendary edition not long ago and it felt really weird noticing it like, everyone else gets at least something here and there, gay male Shep feels like they forgot that could happen.

Yeah but like "how many gay romances are there in Mass Effect" is a question with such a binary right/wrong answer that getting it wrong shows a certain lack of care at best.

mycot fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Dec 6, 2023

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Ariong posted:

What did he say about ads? I don’t remember that part. (It’s a long rear end video and I was up til like 3AM watching it so there’s probably lots of parts I don’t remember.)

Blair having YT ads, then a plushie ad, then half a video, then 2 sponsorship ads midway?

I assume that's the bit, its the one specifically 'holy poo poo advertising' section that stood out

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

xeria posted:

Yeah it's not an inherently wrong statement to say that there are, at least surface-level, more queer romance options available for a female Shepard than a male one (though even then it's primarily just Liara for most of the trilogy); it's that he couldn't be bothered to even get basic loving facts right. I'm not at all surprised to learn that his co-writer also never researched anything ever, as well, because boy does that poo poo show.

mycot posted:

Yeah but like "how many gay romances are there in Mass Effect" is a question with such a binary right/wrong answer that getting it wrong shows a certain lack of care at best.

Oh for sure, obviously not defending them any, that's just a random thing that always nags me, gaydudeShep shoulda been allowed to kiss aliens too. :smith:

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Yardbomb posted:

Oh for sure, obviously not defending them any, that's just a random thing that always nags me, gaydudeShep shoulda been allowed to kiss aliens too. :smith:

There's no reason dude Sheps shouldn't have been able to romance Garrus at least

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

fun hater posted:

im still catching up on the thread but hbomberguy repeated basically everything ive said about ads for the past years that would make this thread incandescent with rage. which means now ppl are going to be forced to agree with me thru gritted teeth. heh heh

Hey I came around before the video tbh lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
ads are good, actually

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
come play raids: shadow legends milord

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Nuebot posted:

wild bullshit he invented out of his rear end like sexy gay nazis and straight, white, women hounding him everywhere saying gay anime wasn't gay.

It's very funny that looking back on everything it's very likely that the dreaded white woman harassing him (with plagiarism accusations) was Jenny Nicholson lol. The gay man's scourge.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Liberty Bibity

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

fun hater posted:

im still catching up on the thread but hbomberguy repeated basically everything ive said about ads for the past years that would make this thread incandescent with rage. which means now ppl are going to be forced to agree with me thru gritted teeth. heh heh

Those people can't pay attention long enough to get to that bit and you know it.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

everyone hates me just like they hated jesus for tellling the truth in that chick tract

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

xeria posted:

There's no reason dude Sheps shouldn't have been able to romance Garrus at least

But then you'd ruin their straight dude bromance.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Crain posted:

I'm glad Somerton never tried to do a video on Disco Elysium.

Though I'm morbidly curious at how he'd gently caress it up.

UpIsNotJump hosed up his "analysis" to the extent of calling Evart "The head of the shipping company" so I would say likely something on that order of magnitude.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Yardbomb posted:

Tbh Mass Effect IS pretty particularly lovely if you're a gay dude Shep, you get one minor character gay romance with Cortez and one party member gay romance across the whole first three games, then it's just Kaidan again and it's all the way in the late parts of ME3. I did a playthrough of them with legendary edition not long ago and it felt really weird noticing it like, everyone else gets at least something here and there, gay male Shep feels like they forgot that could happen.

Gay male Shep gets the biggest dicking over as far as romance options for sure. Femshep technically has more options for one-off hookups because there's more bi women in the games to do that with (and boy could someone make a big video essay about how Mass Effect and Dragon Age treat bisexuality in those contexts.) The relationships choices really got hosed up by the managerial cowardice that led to them cutting same-sex options in 2.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Paingod556 posted:

Blair having YT ads, then a plushie ad, then half a video, then 2 sponsorship ads midway?

I assume that's the bit, its the one specifically 'holy poo poo advertising' section that stood out

Yeah, the interstitial ad-reads can be really, really lucrative especially if you're turning out multiple videos a week. I don't know how many people follow the Black Pants Legion on youtube but the guy who runs it has talked about the offers he's gotten (he explicitly doesn't do ad reads at all) and has said that for a channel his size (iirc around 70-80,000 at the time he was talking about it) that RAID and the like was offering something like $500-700 a throw. It would not surprise me if that number goes up for people who can pull in mid to high six-figures subs or more.

If you can turn out 3 videos a week with an ad-read each, you're cracking $100k /year on just ad reads alone, let alone Patreon and general Youtube revenue. It builds a perverse incentive to put in as little effort as possible and get paid for the ad-read just so you can turn those over faster.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Ariong posted:

they're the incentive for both low quality creative content and serial plagiarism. theres an entire section on content farms lol. and the reward for it disproportionately rewards quantity over quality resulting in a sea of low quality cynical poo poo

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

ads are good, actually

well, now im mad

fun hater fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Dec 6, 2023

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Honestly, Bioware style romance is a blight on gaming no matter the orientation. You can't just have cool people in your party, there has to be a lame romance subplot which takes away development resources from their non-romance stuff. The romance stuff would maybe work better for a non-blank slate main character.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

But then you'd ruin their straight dude bromance.

Weird, I thought that Garrus was able to be romanced by Male Shep in ME3.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the funniest Bioware romance anecdote is that they originally wrote Jack's romance in 2 as bisexual but got cold feet at the last minute because Fox News called Mass Effect 1 the SeXbox game so they just cut off female Shepard's conversation path with her entirely at the point where the romance gets initiated for male Shepard and Jack's character arc just screeches to a halt lol

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Jack's character arc only gets resolved with Shepard's dick and you press space bar to cuddle.

Still somehow not as bad as the Jacob romance where he comes on like a creep and then cheats on you between games while knocking up another woman.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Honestly, Bioware style romance is a blight on gaming no matter the orientation. You can't just have cool people in your party, there has to be a lame romance subplot which takes away development resources from their non-romance stuff. The romance stuff would maybe work better for a non-blank slate main character.

The next Bioware-like (or I guess now, Larian-like) game should lean all the way in and let you Fire Emblem-style play matchmaker between your companions, or just lean further into it happening incidentally as the game goes on like Tali and Garrus getting together on the side if neither's been romanced by Shepard.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
sera's romance in dragon age inquisition was usually just straight-up emotionally abusive and it would have been interesting having a character who had borderline personality disorder if they hadn't also made her an early-oughts webcomic character who keeps talking about cookies and putting bees in people's pants

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Oxxidation posted:

sera's romance in dragon age inquisition was usually just straight-up emotionally abusive and it would have been interesting having a character who had borderline personality disorder if they hadn't also made her an early-oughts webcomic character who keeps talking about cookies and putting bees in people's pants

I believe you mean "the most likeable character in Dragon Age: Inquisition" (tm James Somerton)

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

IShallRiseAgain posted:

This was my main problem with BG3, aside from it being yet another Larian game that completely falls apart in the third act. It legit feels like party members were written first and foremost to be romanced and then everything else cobbled together as an after thought. Particular shoutout to Lae'zel who I spoke to a grand total of three times before she opened a camp conversation with "would you like to have gently caress?" and when said no dedicated tat least part of like every other conversation I had with her to being extremely passive aggressive about it. :jerkbag:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Somerton doesn't care, he actually doesn't know who Neil Gaiman is and hasn't read any of his works

(but that would loving shatter me, way moreso than any of the professional or financial/legal fallout. It'd be like being cast in a background role in a Scorsese movie and then being being personally fired by the director on set)

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

fun hater posted:

they're the incentive for both low quality creative content and serial plagiarism. theres an entire section on content farms lol. and the reward for it disproportionately rewards quantity over quality resulting in a sea of low quality cynical poo poo

well, now im mad

I can see a lot of parallels with the rise of reality television here.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Sydin posted:

This was my main problem with BG3, aside from it being yet another Larian game that completely falls apart in the third act. It legit feels like party members were written first and foremost to be romanced and then everything else cobbled together as an after thought. Particular shoutout to Lae'zel who I spoke to a grand total of three times before she opened a camp conversation with "would you like to have gently caress?" and when said no dedicated tat least part of like every other conversation I had with her to being extremely passive aggressive about it. :jerkbag:

The romances in BG3 being front loaded and locked in early is annoying, but Lae'zel jumping to "frienemies with benefits" fast at least seems intentionally part of her characterization and indicative of the broader Gith attitude about sex. Nobody liked how fast and persistent Gale was to start with though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

angry video game nerd having a genshin impact ad in one of his videos was insane

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

avgn when he doesnt roll the 5* samurai girl: what were they THINKING???

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Sera loving sucks and is too annoying to be worth dealing with. Any nuance or interesting aspect to her personality or backstory is lost because it's a really easy choice to permanently bench her.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Certainly seems true for DA2 where the two best characters are the two you can't romance (I have no idea what the paid DLC character is like).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Certainly seems true for DA2 where the two best characters are the two you can't romance (I have no idea what the paid DLC character is like).
hes fairly boring Knight Dude. imagine paying dlc for carth.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ok Comboomer posted:

Somerton doesn't care, he actually doesn't know who Neil Gaiman is and hasn't read any of his works

(but that would loving shatter me, way moreso than any of the professional or financial/legal fallout. It'd be like being cast in a background role in a Scorsese movie and then being being personally fired by the director on set)

He also got called out by Two Time Hugo Nominee Dr Chuck Tingle and then Gaiman also reblogged Tingle's post. It takes a certain level of shitbaggery to get called out by those two at the same time, lol

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Wasn't there a thing where there was a bug in BG3 where romances were progressing further than intended?

I have been meaning to get back into BG3 sometime; I was still in Act 1 when I left off, so I am wondering if I should restart completely or not (Would rather not) to get things back into a good state, what with all the bug fixes.

Anyway, I did watch the HBomberGuy video. Been said before, but dude went so nuclear at Somerton that you need a hazmat suit and a geiger counter just to talk about him.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Bald.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVeFsB9DIuM

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
not super familiar with chuck tingle but i love that he posts like an achewood character

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Impermanent posted:

not super familiar with chuck tingle but i love that he posts like an achewood character

Tingle is a national treasure. If both he and Gaiman personally took time out of their very important lives to call me out, I'm pretty sure my heart would just explode.