Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

the holy poopacy posted:

Wow, must be pretty tired having to hear about it since September, if only there was some solution where you wouldn't have to hear about it for 4 months out of the year

Already on it. Mods, please ban everyone who complains about it from September to December of every year. Thx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

oldpainless posted:

Public bathrooms always being loving disgusting. And not just at a bar, where I’d expect it from drunks partying or liberal cities where 90% of the population are habitual drug users. But at coffee shops, restaurants, gyms, department stores, normal places the bathrooms are still gross. My bathroom isn’t gross and I don’t make other bathrooms gross. Stop doing it.

It’s like a low grade fear I have that I almost never use them anymore. And when i have to, they’re always so gross I end up hovering over the seat and so my feces splatters the seat/wall instead of going in the bowl.

Yeah this never fails to baffle me. You can go to like lovely restaurants or plush offices, and there's still piss all over the toilet floor. What the gently caress is going on? Who is doing this?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
The last time I was in a public restroom, a fight broke out in the stall next to me because one guy pissed all over the seat.

"What the gently caress, hey there's piss on the seat!"

"Ain't mine."

"You just came out of the stall!"

"Well I didn't pee, so."

"So you sat down on all this pee? gently caress you!"

smash crash bang

\/\/ what? \/\/

credburn has a new favorite as of 03:43 on Dec 3, 2023

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I'd be legit dismayed if I met a man who could poop without peeing. It's unnatural.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

God, stores that can't just be honest about stock and etc, and instead yank you around hoping you'll be too lazy to cancel the order.

Store 1: Bought some ovens alongside some lamps. Ovens were in stock, they only sent the lamps, marked the delivery as 'partially delivered' and sent no mention that the ovens had not been sent.
I only found that out when I got the delivery and they were missing. Now the ovens were out of stock.
I cancelled the ovens, as there was no indicator of when they'd be in stock.

Store 2: Same ovens were in stock, I ordered them. 2 Days later a 'oopsie woopsie ur dewivvery has bween dewayed' delay email came.
I checked the site, ovens out of stock. I checked the order and there's no indication of when they might be in stock.

There's no sale or anything special going on with them, so I can only conclude that one or both places pretend like things are 'in stock' when they expect them shortly or something.
Just be honest, if I get a 'It's out of stock and probably won't be in until the 10th' then I'll know that and will probably stick around unless it's urgent.
When I just get a vague 'oopsie', I'm cancelling the order as fast as I can because for all I know you might be stringing me along until january.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
That was the worst when I was still working with that garbage call centre that dealt with issues with deliveries for a sporting goods conglomerate. The website and the back end didn't update in sync, they updated in waves so a bunch of people would see a bunch of an item listed as in stock when the stocking system said that there were only 5 of them, so a bunch of people would order that item then the ones that didn't get it were like "Well why did the website say it was in stock then?!"

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

In online arguments when people call the other person "kid".

That's the text version of portraying yourself as a chad and the other person as some caricature in memes.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Kid, honestly I could go on and on
I could explain every internet phenomenon
The sky, the grass, the ground
Oh that was just Bill Gates messing around

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

lobsterminator posted:

In online arguments when people call the other person "kid".

That's the text version of portraying yourself as a chad and the other person as some caricature in memes.

whatever you say, pal

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Oh, honey

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

SubNat posted:

God, stores that can't just be honest about stock and etc, and instead yank you around hoping you'll be too lazy to cancel the order.

Extra good when the item in question is supposed to be a new old stock replacement part that nobody has manufactured in 50 years. Are they wanting me to wait around until somebody in their warehouse figures out how to build a time machine?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

How other people can seemingly say whatever words they want and I'm supposed to figure out what they meant, whereas I have to be precise in my language and any misunderstanding was my fault for being unclear.

It'd be an amusing phenomenon if it didn't happen so often.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Since we're on toilet-talk, the ones my office suck.

They're automated, but poorly. The toilet sensors are too-sensitive, they ALWAYS go off as you're taking your pants off/getting ready to sit down, so you basically have to stop lowering yourself down halfway every time to let it finish the flush or you get sprayed with toilet-water on your rear end.
Then the urinals are the opposite. They almost NEVER flush, but they also don't have a manual flush button under the sensor like the toilets do, so there will be times when it's just full of piss. I try to remember to place my hand in front of the sensor and move it around when I'm done so I know it flushes, but clearly not everyone is doing that.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
My office has a mere five toilet cubicles for a floor of about 200 people, so you often have to either go to a different floor and try your luck there, or just god drat hold it in.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Suddenly the 3 bathrooms for 69 seats my office complex has feels luxurious

E: oh I've got one. Email read receipts. gently caress you, I habitually click NO when that question pops up.

Arrath has a new favorite as of 04:14 on Dec 6, 2023

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Arrath posted:

Suddenly the 3 bathrooms for 69 seats my office complex has feels luxurious

E: oh I've got one. Email read receipts. gently caress you, I habitually click NO when that question pops up.

We have 3 stalls and 2 urinals for 20 dudes and somehow the stalls are all in use 50% of the time I plan to use them. There are 3 stalls (I think - never been in there) for the 4 women.

And one of the dudes destroys the toilet so you gotta either hold your breath or come back later anyway

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

PancakeTransmission posted:

We have 3 stalls and 2 urinals for 20 dudes and somehow the stalls are all in use 50% of the time I plan to use them.

They’re masturbating OP

And one of the dudes destroys the toilet so you gotta either hold your breath or come back later anyway

He was masturbating OP

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Wtf is wrong with people that throw their gum in the urinal. Do you think that will flush??

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Wtf is wrong with people that throw their gum in the urinal. Do you think that will flush??

These people are pieces of poo poo op

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Duolingo: I guess that "このお弁当はおいしいです" may literally translate as "this lunchbox is tasty", but let me tell you, that is absolutely not the correct English translation. It is a crazy thing to say. No one would say this.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Duolingo recently has been like

Answer: (It) (is) (now) (seven) (o) (clock)
Duolingo: correct! But there is a typo in your answer: it is now seven o'clock

gently caress off! You didn't GIVE me an apostrophe to tap on!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Killingyouguy! posted:

Duolingo recently has been like

Answer: (It) (is) (now) (seven) (o) (clock)
Duolingo: correct! But there is a typo in your answer: it is now seven o'clock

gently caress off! You didn't GIVE me an apostrophe to tap on!

Yeah, it always does that. Also sometimes it'll want "It is now 2:30" and you write "It is now 4:30" and it says "Correct! But there is a typo in your answer!" But translate something as "I am going practice piano and then eat dinner." and it'll be like "No. Wrong. You left out the word 'to'." Motherfucker, I am not here to learn English.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

From watching my partner do the Japanese course it seems like some courses don't have speaking exercises, but for mandarin some of the tasks are to read and speak back a phrase, and they simply.... Didn't train the voice recognition on numbers. So phrases that are mostly numbers, like times, can never be successfully passed.

Also, they dropped the discussion sections on answers because "reddit already exists" which is the worst excuse in the world lol

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

But I'm like a month away from a 1 year streak so there's no loving way I'm stoppin

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Killingyouguy! posted:

But I'm like a month away from a 1 year streak so there's no loving way I'm stoppin

If there's a better way to learn a language from my own home, on my own schedule, for no money... well I would very much like to hear about it, actually.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I stopped using Duolingo after it said my translation of "fire kyllinger" (I don't remember the whole sentence) to "4 chickens" was wrong (the right answer was "four chickens" :eng99:). Basically the last straw.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

YeahTubaMike posted:

I stopped using Duolingo after it said my translation of "fire kyllinger" (I don't remember the whole sentence) to "4 chickens" was wrong (the right answer was "four chickens" :eng99:). Basically the last straw.

:eng101: In English, you spell out numbers less than ten and write digits for numbers great than ten. I forget if you also spell out 10 or just put the digits.

However I will concede the point that it shouldn't ding you for getting the English wrong. You're not there to learn English, drat it!

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Silver Falcon posted:

:eng101: In English, you spell out numbers less than ten and write digits for numbers great than ten. I forget if you also spell out 10 or just put the digits.

I knew that, and I'm pretty sure that you spell out "ten" but don't quote me on that.

quote:

However I will concede the point that it shouldn't ding you for getting the English wrong. You're not there to learn English, drat it!

First of all, it's not even all the way wrong since it still demonstrated that I understood what "fire" actually meant. Second of all, EXACTLY. :colbert:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Four! I mean, five! I mean, fire!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Tiggum posted:

If there's a better way to learn a language from my own home, on my own schedule, for no money... well I would very much like to hear about it, actually.

make online friends with somebody whose native language is the one you want to learn, who wants to learn english, and then talk to them about shared interests

wait does duolinguo actually teach language and not memorized stock phrases these days?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Issue with step 1

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

make online friends with somebody whose native language is the one you want to learn, who wants to learn english, and then talk to them about shared interests
What, in a language I don't speak? How would that work?

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
Give me four, give me five, give me streaks that I desire

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

wait does duolinguo actually teach language and not memorized stock phrases these days?

I've always wondered about this. People say this and I wonder how it's possible. How do you ask someone if they want to learned English while you learn their language in a language you can't speak? I also am not sure how having someone type a bunch of words to me I don't understand will teach me a language. I'm not trying to be pithy I'm genuinely wondering how you do it.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I've always wondered about this. People say this and I wonder how it's possible. How do you ask someone if they want to learned English while you learn their language in a language you can't speak? I also am not sure how having someone type a bunch of words to me I don't understand will teach me a language. I'm not trying to be pithy I'm genuinely wondering how you do it.

Context, and hopefully having the occasional cognate with a language you're familiar with.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Silver Falcon posted:

I've never heard this. I'm pretty lazy so if I can press one key instead of seven, I'm doing so!

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

I've never heard this. I'm pretty lazy so if I can press one key instead of seven, I'm doing so!

Especially on a drat phone.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The only reason to ever type in letters when writing numbers is when quoting Oogie Boogies "Eeeeeeeleven!" from Nightmare Before Christmas.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Oh yeah I don't care in casual conversation and I would never point it out unless you asked me to nitpick you.

But my job is basically "professional nitpicker," and if I see that poo poo on a technical report that we're getting paid for, you bet your rear end I'm correcting it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Silver Falcon posted:

my job is basically "professional nitpicker,"

High-five :):hf::) (copyeditor, then QA engineer)