Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Those lands look great

I know we've seen a doctor zen different full art things since wizards went crazy but...alot of them look cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I love the flavour, not crazy about the alt frames.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I posted this in the arena thread, but dang they let you just buy wildcards now in arena? $2/rare isn't bad at all too, all things considered

Oh wait is it a one time purchase thing?

edit: oh, looking it up online I guess you can only buy x amount or whatever.

After I'm through drafting and stuff I guess I'll see where I'm at. I gotta imagine it's technically more efficient from a collection standpoint to just draft

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 5, 2023

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I posted this in the arena thread, but dang they let you just buy wildcards now in arena? $2/rare isn't bad at all too, all things considered

Oh wait is it a one time purchase thing?

edit: oh, looking it up online I guess you can only buy x amount or whatever.

After I'm through drafting and stuff I guess I'll see where I'm at. I gotta imagine it's technically more efficient from a collection standpoint to just draft

the wildcard purchasing was explicitly put there for people who only play limited and don't care about constructed past having to do arena competitions. if you think about doing constructed even slightly, buy packs instead -- but you'll get even more value out of spending your money on drafts

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

So the Clue box is what, Eternal legal stuff?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Man those alt frames are giving me X-Files CCG vibes.

I totally forgot about that game.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Aphrodite posted:

It's the game of clue

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

this loving art, looks like his right hand is coming out from his left shoulder with some weird floating hand rubbing the chin

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
or thumbs are backwards in this world, which maybe it is that way

these first spoilers are dire

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Wojek Investigator is good in Commander. Maybe. White has gotten better at card draw, and that makes her less reliable. New Aurelia is really good for Boros decks, the worst color pair in Commander needs that push. Demand Answers is probably good in Pauper, but red decks might be better off with Reckless Impulse, Wrenn's Resolve, and Experimental Synthesizer unless they want to be sacrificing artifacts. Jeskai Affinity maybe?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I wasn't aware of the MTG twitch rivals tournament, where you had one pro player coaching a streamer who is a casual mtg player, and each play in their own brackets(pros and casuals) to earn enough wins to reach the finals. Even if pros lose, the amount of damage they do to their opponent affects the casual's games in the event of a tie, which is a neat aspect to it.

Jim Davis teamed up with PiGstarcraft, and it's a blast to watch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3zHBEswyEQ&hd=1

shout outs to Jim sunfalling an empty board(except for one phased out creature), never change :allears:

the only downside to the tournament is it was sponsored by samsung so they had to play arena on mobile, which I don't like the look of

that last game was one of the most intense games I've watched in a while

e: lol definitely never would have thought I'd see Lord Aethelstan in the same image as Jim Davis, that's for loving sure. had no idea he was even in the event

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Dec 6, 2023

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

Captain Invictus posted:

I wasn't aware of the MTG twitch rivals tournament, where you had one pro player coaching a streamer who is a casual mtg player, and each play in their own brackets(pros and casuals) to earn enough wins to reach the finals. Even if pros lose, the amount of damage they do to their opponent affects the casual's games in the event of a tie, which is a neat aspect to it.

It's funny how word about these events doesn't get around the MTG community in advance. I visit mtg reddit along with other sites fairly frequently, but only found out about this event when I was trying to watch Pig casting the weekly ESL starcraft tournament on Monday. Did other people know this was coming? It seemed like a pretty decent cash prize.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

LifeLynx posted:

Wojek Investigator is good in Commander. Maybe. White has gotten better at card draw, and that makes her less reliable. New Aurelia is really good for Boros decks, the worst color pair in Commander needs that push. Demand Answers is probably good in Pauper, but red decks might be better off with Reckless Impulse, Wrenn's Resolve, and Experimental Synthesizer unless they want to be sacrificing artifacts. Jeskai Affinity maybe?

Wojtek, Investigator
Legendary Creature - Human Detective

Raid — When Wojtek, Investigator enters the battlefield, if you attacked this turn, you may sacrifice 2 Dogs. If you do, take an extra turn after this one.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Detective is a new creature type.

It was in WHO. Nothing is new. Everything is worse. Roaming Throne can be a Gamer - a literal gaming chair.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
But it can't be a folk-of-an-haava

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
There’s also dogged detective which is both a dog and a detective

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
My only complaint about the flavor so far is that Detective feels like a Samurai-tier subtype in terms of how set-specific it is, and there's a lot of cards they're never going to be able to reprint without having people go "why is a detective here".

(Curious Cadaver is the only card I dislike for having the Detective subtype, just because that combination of name and abilities would be so fun to reinterpret in another set, but there's probably more Detective-matters cards like Burden of Proof in the full set that are never going to have the critical mass of detectives in another set they'd need to function.)

newershadow
May 18, 2014

Aphrodite posted:

It seems like there's a bunch of extra stuff in there that may or may not be in the main set, but the Amazon Listing makes it seem a lot like Jumpstart.

quote:

PLAY MAGIC WITH A KILLER TWIST—Guildmage Boddy lies slain in his manor and it’s your job to determine the manner of his demise; gather evidence when you deal combat damage, then follow the clues to crack the case
-JUST SHUFFLE & PLAY—Grab 2 boosters, shuffle them together, and let the sleuthing begin; with 8 ready-to-play boosters (each featuring 1 new Rare card), Ravnica: Clue Edition is perfect for 3–4 players but also plays well with 2

- Ravnica: Clue Edition contains 8 ready-to-play Ravnica: Clue Edition Boosters, 1 Clue Booster containing 21 Evidence cards, 1 Traditional Foil Shock Land Box Topper card, 4 Hidden Info Screens, 1 Evidence Notepad, 1 Case File Envelope, and a sturdy card storage box. Each Ravnica: Clue Edition Booster contains 20 nonfoil Magic cards, including all the lands you need to play. In each ready-to-play Ravnica: Clue Edition Booster you’ll find 1 new Rare card and 1 reprint card of rarity Rare or higher. All 21 Evidence cards are also playable Magic cards, with 6 Borderless Legendary Creature cards representing murder suspects, 5 Artifact cards representing possible murder weapons, and 10 Land cards depicting locations that may have been the scene of the crime.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

wojak investigator

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

It was in WHO. Nothing is new. Everything is worse. Roaming Throne can be a Gamer - a literal gaming chair.

99% of the time it's a weird looking human

Every other time it's a Clown

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

newershadow posted:

It seems like there's a bunch of extra stuff in there that may or may not be in the main set, but the Amazon Listing makes it seem a lot like Jumpstart.

So sounds like it will be at least Eternal legal, since they are all still functional cards. Whether it's legal in anything else remains to be seen, but probably not.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Lurks With Wolves posted:

My only complaint about the flavor so far is that Detective feels like a Samurai-tier subtype in terms of how set-specific it is, and there's a lot of cards they're never going to be able to reprint without having people go "why is a detective here".

(Curious Cadaver is the only card I dislike for having the Detective subtype, just because that combination of name and abilities would be so fun to reinterpret in another set, but there's probably more Detective-matters cards like Burden of Proof in the full set that are never going to have the critical mass of detectives in another set they'd need to function.)

Planeswalking detectives does sound like a fun theme though, if they decide to go that way

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Aphrodite posted:

So sounds like it will be at least Eternal legal, since they are all still functional cards. Whether it's legal in anything else remains to be seen, but probably not.

it's probably just going to be universes beyond legality, with in-universe cards as well eventually

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

But if it's not a Detective the Curious part isn't a pun anymore.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
when we gonna get a Creature — Detective Monk that is just a clever tv show reference

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

I honestly can't understand why you dislike the concept of "Zombie Detective"

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Detectives can be on Innistrad, Ravnica, Capenna, Kaladesh, Kamigawa, Fiora, probably Vryn, probably Kylem, probably Dominaria, and possibly Thunder Junction. There's plenty of room for the type not even getting into any of the other new planes we've seen like Duskmourn or the sci fi plane. Getting weird about it being fully codified is kinda dumb imo :v:

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Eej posted:

I honestly can't understand why you dislike the concept of "Zombie Detective"

It's not that I hate zombie detectives, I still think the overall flavor is great. But you put it on a plane like Innistrad and now you can have some kind of freakish mummified thing that's so weird people keep trying to investigate it but it keeps coming back every time they try. Or you could, if you didn't also have to fictionally justify why it's a detective.

Mix. posted:

Detectives can be on Innistrad, Ravnica, Capenna, Kaladesh, Kamigawa, Fiora, probably Vryn, probably Kylem, probably Dominaria, and possibly Thunder Junction. There's plenty of room for the type not even getting into any of the other new planes we've seen like Duskmourn or the sci fi plane. Getting weird about it being fully codified is kinda dumb imo :v:

Maybe I'm just being a bit too precious, but Detective as a term just feels a bit too tied to Sherlock and noir to really fit the fantasy for a lot of planes? And MtG is admittedly really diversifying their themes lately and there's a lot of decent places to include some detectives when this set is in Standard (I just realized they could do a great mouse detective in the Redwall-esque plane whose name I'm forgetting), but once this set rotates I just can't see them printing more than one a year when they aren't going to Innistrad or New Capenna. (Or the modern horror plane whose name I'm also forgetting.)

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Maybe I'm just being a bit too precious, but Detective as a term just feels a bit too tied to Sherlock and noir to really fit the fantasy for a lot of planes? And MtG is admittedly really diversifying their themes lately and there's a lot of decent places to include some detectives when this set is in Standard (I just realized they could do a great mouse detective in the Redwall-esque plane whose name I'm forgetting), but once this set rotates I just can't see them printing more than one a year when they aren't going to Innistrad or New Capenna. (Or the modern horror plane whose name I'm also forgetting.)

The card you're talking about is literally mechanically tied to Clue tokens - I don't think there are many places where it would make flavorful sense for those to appear but "some kind of detective" would be beyond the pale.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Look. It's 2023 and it's time to accept detectives come in all shapes and sizes. Like Pikachu,

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

my "I hate zombie detectives" t-shirt gets a lot of questions which are already answered by my shirt

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Free card name idea, wizards: goblin gumshoe

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Judgy Fucker posted:

I get what they're going for here but man are these dogshit to look at.

They honestly look like the design of Clues and other Mythos cards from 2nd and 3rd revision Arkham Horror board game.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

kalel posted:

my "I hate zombie detectives" t-shirt gets a lot of questions which are already answered by my shirt

all Zombie Detectives are Bastards

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Detectives at minimum could be in the modern slasher/thriller/horror hotel set that's coming soon.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Lord_Magmar posted:

Detectives at minimum could be in the modern slasher/thriller/horror hotel set that's coming soon.

??????

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

snyprmag posted:

Free card name idea, wizards: goblin gumshoe

can't wait to see the columbo expy. making peter falk's little poo poo-eating grin in the art, flavor text starting with "oh, and one other thing..."

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Literally what is happening in this art. It looks like she's trying to kill him, but the flavour text on the showcase says she's saving him. Why is there a knife just floating in midair between them.

Otherkinsey Scale fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Dec 6, 2023

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Okay not soon soon, but the 4th set of 2024 Duskmourn: House of Horror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hutter
Feb 16, 2011

It's been giving me nightmares.

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Literally what is happening in this art. It looks like she's trying to kill him, but the flavour text on the showcase says she's saving him. Why is there a knife just floating in midair between them.

The guy is dropping the knife in response to the slash I am pretty sure.