Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Also, putting aside the plagiarism stuff that one writer did, it is a bit depressing to see that Cinemassacre kind of devolved into what it became. Like, on the one hand I get that he is old, he has a family, he does not have anything to prove and he has to get that money. But even beyond the AVGN, James Rolfe and his genuine enthusiasm for games and movies is what kept me coming back, and Monster Madness in particular was a great watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
lol at all the attempts by the screenwave ghouls to insert themselves into everything while james was just awkwardly stood in the corner looking at his phone

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He should never have stopped those weekly videos where he played random games with Mike Mattei and had free-form conversations about how to pronounce “scythe” and whether wet dreams are actually common or whether health teachers just say that to make the rare kids who actually have them feel better.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
I think that's the downside to becoming a big internet personality in the mid-aughts to early-2010's--you get so big at a time in your life when you're supposed to be starting a real career. Now the money has dried up and you find yourself with no real marketable skills. I think you saw the same thing with webcomic artists from that era-- Best case scenario you become Penny Arcade, where your real money comes from the insanely successful convention you started. Worst case scenario you're Megatokyo: years behind on a successful kickstarter that you haven't followed through on (partially for personal reasons beyond your control; other because you underestimated how difficult fulfilling a kickstarter project can be) and you're a decade-and-a-half outside the very real career you did have while the webcomic was a silly side project you did with a friend, and there's no way you can even attempt to try and slide back in to it with that big of a gap in your resume. I don't know, I don't really blame cinnemassacre for trying to cling to whatever brings in money, even if it is a ghost of what it once was.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

I AM GRANDO posted:

He should never have stopped those weekly videos where he played random games with Mike Mattei and had free-form conversations about how to pronounce “scythe” and whether wet dreams are actually common or whether health teachers just say that to make the rare kids who actually have them feel better.

mike streams now and is happy as a motherfucker can be

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

I AM GRANDO posted:

He should stream with Inspector Gadget, that did wonders for Matei

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Happy Landfill posted:

I think that's the downside to becoming a big internet personality in the mid-aughts to early-2010's--you get so big at a time in your life when you're supposed to be starting a real career. Now the money has dried up and you find yourself with no real marketable skills. I think you saw the same thing with webcomic artists from that era-- Best case scenario you become Penny Arcade, where your real money comes from the insanely successful convention you started. Worst case scenario you're Megatokyo: years behind on a successful kickstarter that you haven't followed through on (partially for personal reasons beyond your control; other because you underestimated how difficult fulfilling a kickstarter project can be) and you're a decade-and-a-half outside the very real career you did have while the webcomic was a silly side project you did with a friend, and there's no way you can even attempt to try and slide back in to it with that big of a gap in your resume. I don't know, I don't really blame cinnemassacre for trying to cling to whatever brings in money, even if it is a ghost of what it once was.

Don’t forget lowtax, although he never had any skills at all other than maybe DARVO.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

I AM GRANDO posted:

Don’t forget lowtax, although he never had any skills at all other than maybe DARVO.

Lowtax is a good one to mention, too. When I think of these things, I always thing of the 2000's webcomic boom, though. If you could t use that success as a springboard for something a little more legit, I guess the only thing you could do is make sure your little niche stayed successful enough to pay the bills. For some it might be easier than others, but not impossible with the advent of Patreon and streaming.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Thinking about Somerton still: It absolutely blows my mind that this dude heard (more likely misheard) that Disney organized an official event called "Gay Day", believed it, wrote it into a script, read that script into a microphone, cut the audio, edited footage over it, and posted it without ever once realizing how completely ludicrous that is. Obviously Disney does not have and has never had an official event called Gay Day. Just... literally not one single neuron activation expended beyond the bare minimum required to steal whatever, make up some slop to fill in the gaps, and push out a video.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Happy Landfill posted:

Lowtax is a good one to mention, too. When I think of these things, I always thing of the 2000's webcomic boom, though. If you could t use that success as a springboard for something a little more legit, I guess the only thing you could do is make sure your little niche stayed successful enough to pay the bills. For some it might be easier than others, but not impossible with the advent of Patreon and streaming.

The example I think of is Ryan North. It is loving WILD that a guy who wrote a comic made entirely from unchanging clip-art images of dinosaurs is now an extremely successful author of Actual Comics, while at the same time it makes perfect sense.

John Allison is similar, kept doing his niche Scary-Go-Round/Bad Machinery stuff, steadily improved his craft as he did so, and used that as a base to get a publishing deal for what turned out to be very popular and critically acclaimed series (Giant Days).

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Happy Landfill posted:

the AVGN situation sorta puzzles me because - and i haven't been following his channel super closely so i could be way off - haven't his videos (at least, specifically the 'AVGN' ones) continued to be wildly popular? he's not like one of those yt channels that might have been popular at one point then fell off a cliff like boogie2929whatever. his most recent AVGN vid has over a million views. he had a successful gimmick that people didn't get tired of and was continuing to rake it in, as far as i can tell.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Happy Landfill posted:

But that's always been the gamble when pursuing a creative passion. Even before the internet, plenty of writers, painters, singers, etc., tanked their "real" careers to chase a dream. We do have stuff like Patreon now that lets smaller creators get by without falling into complete obscurity and destitution, but the risk is still extreme for anyone without a robust support network.

Mr Interweb posted:

the AVGN situation sorta puzzles me because - and i haven't been following his channel super closely so i could be way off - haven't his videos (at least, specifically the 'AVGN' ones) continued to be wildly popular? he's not like one of those yt channels that might have been popular at one point then fell off a cliff like boogie2929whatever. his most recent AVGN vid has over a million views. he had a successful gimmick that people didn't get tired of and was continuing to rake it in, as far as i can tell.

Yeah, in his case, I think it's more that he got tired with it, and busy with other things. If I was in his place and had a family to consider I would milk the brand for all its worth regardless of if it'd become a shadow of its former self.

Similar to Penny Arcade. Hire artists and a business manager and then semi-retire off the back of the valuable IP you created.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Dec 6, 2023

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
you must understand that james rolfe isnt a gamer and doesnt really like video games all that much unless its something he grew up playing. if you have him talking about a game he played in his childhood he can be enthusiastic but if its something from the sixth generation onwards he's not to going to give a poo poo because its something he doesnt care about. his real passion is film and film making but the avgn pays the bills so he's stuck doing it. its a similar situation to the nostalgia critic only james rolfe appears to be a more down to earth family man who wants to support his family anyway he can compared to doug walkers narcissism and lack of self awareness and inability to do anything else but the nostalgia critic because of a lack of talent and burning of bridges

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Dec 6, 2023

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
people say kenji uses too much salt in his recipes, but i keep my copy of food lab on my nightstand, and i say everyone on tiktok should tithe to him whether they use his recipes or not

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

you must understand that james rolfe isnt a gamer and doesnt really like video games all that much unless its something he grew up playing. if you have him talking about a game he played in his childhood he can be enthusiastic but if its something from the sixth generation onwards he's not to going to give a poo poo because its something he doesnt care about. his real passion is film and film making but the avgn pays the bills so he's stuck doing it. its a similar situation to the nostalgia critic only james rolfe appears to be a more down to earth family man who wants to support his family anyway he can compared to doug walkers narcissism and lack of self awareness and inability to do anything else but the nostalgia critic because of a lack of talent and burning of bridges

:yeah:

This doesn't surprise me at all, there are so many recipes for any kind of dish you could ever possibly think of floating out there that it'd be pretty dang hard to pin somebody for going five pages back into google search results, changing the order and to a small extent measures of various ingredients, and then hawking it as their own 100% original recipe. It's why I've really enjoyed Brian Lagerstrom's channel: a lot of his recipes come from years working as a professional chef and baker, and when that's not the case he's been very open in his Q&A's about his recipe development process. He also does cite when he bases something off an existing recipe: in his imitation takeout beef and broccoli vid he says it was actually inspired by a recipe in one of Kenji's books, which he then holds up to the camera and says "very good by the way go loving buy it!"

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Sydin posted:

:yeah:

This doesn't surprise me at all, there are so many recipes for any kind of dish you could ever possibly think of floating out there that it'd be pretty dang hard to pin somebody for going five pages back into google search results, changing the order and to a small extent measures of various ingredients, and then hawking it as their own 100% original recipe. It's why I've really enjoyed Brian Lagerstrom's channel: a lot of his recipes come from years working as a professional chef and baker, and when that's not the case he's been very open in his Q&A's about his recipe development process. He also does cite when he bases something off an existing recipe: in his imitation takeout beef and broccoli vid he says it was actually inspired by a recipe in one of Kenji's books, which he then holds up to the camera and says "very good by the way go loving buy it!"

I honestly don't understand why anyone doing cookery stuff DOESNT credit the source of their inspiration, because it's not like anyone gets the idea for a recipe out of nowhere. Like, no one is stood in their kitchen trying to decide what they're making for dinner and an idea pops fully formed into their head out of nowhere, it's all synthesis of things you've eaten before, stuff you've seen on TV, a food truck you walked past and thought "that sounds like a good idea". Part of the fun of cooking is putting all the influences together in a way that works.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

if you credit kenji as the "inspiration" for your recipe, your fans can go and check and see that you actually copied it 1 for 1, because if you're hiding that you stole one of the most popular food youtubers recipes, you probably aren't good enough as a chef to make meaningful enough changes for it to count as "inspiration"

way better to just hope no one ever checks so you can still look like a culinary genius instead

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

TheFlyingLlama posted:

if you credit kenji as the "inspiration" for your recipe, your fans can go and check and see that you actually copied it 1 for 1, because if you're hiding that you stole one of the most popular food youtubers recipes, you probably aren't good enough as a chef to make meaningful enough changes for it to count as "inspiration"

way better to just hope no one ever checks so you can still look like a culinary genius instead

On the other hand if your brand is "a charismatic person people want to form a parasocial relationship with (and give money)" you can just say "today I'm trying to cook Kenji's recipe!" complete with links in the video and/or actual footage. Then all you have to do is be mildly funny about the whole process.

It's the people that want to be seen as Big Brain Geniuses but don't want to do the work that are the problem.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I will go through Google photos to look at all the dinners I took pictures of in 2023 and rank them on a tier list in this video essay. I guarantee zero plagiarism because if I do the only thing I'd be fooling is my stomach

The Saddest Rhino fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Dec 6, 2023

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

On the other hand if your brand is "a charismatic person people want to form a parasocial relationship with (and give money)" you can just say "today I'm trying to cook Kenji's recipe!" complete with links in the video and/or actual footage. Then all you have to do is be mildly funny about the whole process.

It's the people that want to be seen as Big Brain Geniuses but don't want to do the work that are the problem.

For real

AntiChef is a great exemplar of this principle. His whole deal is attempting and learning other people’s recipes and it’s one of my favorite cooking channels on YT

Genthil
Sep 24, 2007

TeamFourStar commentates the third part of their last abridged episode. Things get rather emotional at the beginning as the guys look back on the people they met and hung out with at conventions while they were producing the series, namely the late Chris Ayres, who was one of the voice actors for Frieza in the Funimation dub. :gbsmith:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3nSeMJHJ0w&t=118s
Here's parts one and two. I think after this there's only the epilogue, DBZ Kai Abridged 3, and a movie left.

Josh Strife Hayes checks out an old MMORPG that I legit thought shut down years ago. I remember at the time the biggest buzz around this game was that female characters could go topless. Also this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYli_7V6jiU

This guy appeared on my recs a couple months back and he does funny shorts, with his latest one being rather topical.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arnBPG4Z19s

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

pretty much

but to this day I am astonished someone like Doug Walker even exists... just a living, breathing, creative black hole

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Fil5000 posted:

I honestly don't understand why anyone doing cookery stuff DOESNT credit the source of their inspiration, because it's not like anyone gets the idea for a recipe out of nowhere. Like, no one is stood in their kitchen trying to decide what they're making for dinner and an idea pops fully formed into their head out of nowhere, it's all synthesis of things you've eaten before, stuff you've seen on TV, a food truck you walked past and thought "that sounds like a good idea". Part of the fun of cooking is putting all the influences together in a way that works.
you're thinking like someone who enjoys cooking and not like someone who wants to sell a product that happens to be cooking.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Autisanal Cheese posted:

pretty much

but to this day I am astonished someone like Doug Walker even exists... just a living, breathing, creative black hole

His Wall """review""' is still one of the most fascinatingly awful things alongside, to go really low hanging here, The Room or CAD. It reveals so much more about the creator and their view of the world and how little they understand art on a fundamental level. Obviously Dan Olsons video on Doug and hbombs video about loss/the room say it better then I ever could.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Autisanal Cheese posted:

pretty much

It's like that scene in Margin Call where Jeremy Irons' character says, "There are three ways to make a living in this business: be first, be smarter, or cheat."

Doug was first. He got in the door before the rush and secured a fanbase, so he gets away with being a plywood box that walks like a man.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Tracula posted:

His Wall """review""' is still one of the most fascinatingly awful things alongside, to go really low hanging here, The Room or CAD. It reveals so much more about the creator and their view of the world and how little they understand art on a fundamental level. Obviously Dan Olsons video on Doug and hbombs video about loss/the room say it better then I ever could.

I still can't work out how someone with even the tiniest amount of media literacy could misunderstand The Wall so badly. It is not a subtle work!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I still can't work out how someone with even the tiniest amount of media literacy could misunderstand The Wall so badly. It is not a subtle work!

It's astonishing that he manages to dislike it in such a boring way.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Yeah, there's channels where people cook straight out of a recipe book (like Glenn and Friends, the viewers are the friends, with historical cooking) and show you the actual recipe. They don't actually suffer from not making up the recipe from whole cloth or disguising the origin of the recipe. Especially if they explain why they do variations or offer personal analysis.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

he combines 3 separate problems;

#1: he really is that stupid/media illiterate, anything more complicated than outright spoonfeeding the audience is usually too complicated for the nostalgia critic
#2: he seems to have watched the wall for the first time after committing to doing the parody album/fanfiction/whatever the gently caress you want to call his review, so instead of giving it an honest chance, he's watching it with a "okay what can I rif on" vibe
#3: he is the kind of shallow rear end in a top hat to assume that because he never does anything with real sincerity, no one else can, so it's clearly "oscar bait" or insincere for the sake of prestige

all into an ouroboros of failure

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

Unlucky7 posted:

Also, putting aside the plagiarism stuff that one writer did, it is a bit depressing to see that Cinemassacre kind of devolved into what it became. Like, on the one hand I get that he is old, he has a family, he does not have anything to prove and he has to get that money. But even beyond the AVGN, James Rolfe and his genuine enthusiasm for games and movies is what kept me coming back, and Monster Madness in particular was a great watch.

It amazes me that Silvermania, of all loving people, apparently wormed his way into producing content under the Cinemassacre brand.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

KingKalamari posted:

There is a massive wealth of actual, quality content on YouTube right now that takes only a modicum of extra effort to discover. If you need stuff to play in the background while you do housework, it's only a small bit of extra effort to make a video playlist of actually worthwhile videos beforehand, I do it all the time! The fact that the platform outright encourages users to not curating the content they consume themselves and instead default to the whims of the algorithm to spoon-feed them an endless stream of content without regard to its quality is one of the major contributing factors to the kipplization of internet content as a whole and needs to be pushed back against.

I rewatch my favorite high-quality video essays like This Is Financial Advice dozens of times if I want to drown out my own thoughts with someone else's voice, but can't offer the brainpower to listen to new music. It might be a bad habit.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Solitair posted:

I rewatch my favorite high-quality video essays like This Is Financial Advice dozens of times if I want to drown out my own thoughts with someone else's voice, but can't offer the brainpower to listen to new music. It might be a bad habit.

Imagining a music league with members solely from the online creator thread and feeling a shiver down my spine

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Edward Dim and the repulsive zeroes

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
It's far easier: Doug Walker is a clown. No-one expects deep insights from a clown. All they're good for is pointing fingers and laughing

And at least Doug Walker has some self-awareness left -his "reviews" sometimes include skits where the joke is that the Nostalgia Critic is a giant dumb rear end in a top hat, that makes his videos a bit more entertaining than they would be otherwise

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Libluini posted:

No-one expects deep insights from a clown.

Good comedy is insightful. Good physical comedy requires rhythm and timing. Doug has neither.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Good comedy is insightful. Good physical comedy requires rhythm and timing. Doug has neither.

Eh, sometimes he produces good jokes.

Makes him even more irritating imho, since it shows he could be better, if he weren't so lazy most of the time

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Libluini posted:

Eh, sometimes he produces good jokes.

Makes him even more irritating imho, since it shows he could be better, if he weren't so lazy most of the time

The "You mean like The Room?" exchange that Dan included in The Wall video has pretty spot on timing, which I assume is from the editing but at least shows that he knows what the rhythm of jokes looks like. I think the main issue is that he's decided that comedy comes from misery and writes all his gags from that assumption.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Fil5000 posted:

It's astonishing that he manages to dislike it in such a boring way.

I'm surprised he didn't just go "How can he say english schools were bad?? Didn't he read Harry Potter? You get sorted into a whole house of friends, a cool dorm, and a caring Prefect watching over you!"

Then again, his angle was almost that misguided.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Sephyr posted:

I'm surprised he didn't just go "How can he say english schools were bad?? Didn't he read Harry Potter? You get sorted into a whole house of friends, a cool dorm, and a caring Prefect watching over you!"

Then again, his angle was almost that misguided.

one of Dan Olson's key points is that all the things that Doug is writing off as shallow whining or pretentious posturing are the fallout of real events and situations that Roger Waters, and almost every other British person that was a child during WW2, would have lived through/been intimately familiar with. Doug is incapable of engaging with it from outside the POV of his own upbringing, so can only talk about it on the most shallow, surface level. To Doug, it might as well be Harry Potter for how alien the movie's raw emotional metaphors are to him.