Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

BonHair posted:

Strawberry ice-cream is loving great when it's made with strawberries, cream, sugar and maybe vanilla and nothing else. However, the key part of strawberry flavour of easy to synthesize, so that's what you get in a lot of ice-cream. It tastes like synthetic rear end though because real strawberries have a ton of supplementary flavours that the synthetic stuff lacks. So that's the reason: you're eating bad synthetic crap branded as the food stuff.
On the contrary, strawberry ice-cream made with real strawberries sucks - and if it's got actual chunks of frozen strawberry in it? Disgusting. The artificial strawberry flavour is the best and it's a tragedy that I can't buy it by itself and have to get neapolitan instead. The vanilla's fine, although I'd prefer more strawberry, but I never want to eat the chocolate. Have to make it into milkshakes or something.

Earwicker posted:

also there is sword fighting in the olympics and i think giant robot combat could be a fun spectator sport as well
One Must Fall: 2097 was a fun game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Small question really, does anyone else experience a smell when they hit their head hard? It doesn't happen often, but when I stand up into a cabinet corner or have slipped on ice it's pretty pungent. Almost like a softened version of the metal smell of your kitchen sink. I'm not going around hitting my head a lot, but it's a unique enough of a smell that I remember it and know to expect it at this point. Is this something others experience?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Carillon posted:

Small question really, does anyone else experience a smell when they hit their head hard? It doesn't happen often, but when I stand up into a cabinet corner or have slipped on ice it's pretty pungent. Almost like a softened version of the metal smell of your kitchen sink. I'm not going around hitting my head a lot, but it's a unique enough of a smell that I remember it and know to expect it at this point. Is this something others experience?

i've never heard anyone describe it before but yes. metallic and kind of harsh like ozone.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
Is the Internet Archive wayback machine not working for anyone else?

Fuoco
Jan 3, 2009

NotNut posted:

Is the Internet Archive wayback machine not working for anyone else?

Seems fine to me.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Carillon posted:

Almost like a softened version of the metal smell of your kitchen sink.
I don't recall experiencing this, but blood often smells metallic because of the iron, so I'd guess a tiny nose bleed up there.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Carillon posted:

I'm not sure i have noticed it, but i wonder if it's associated with adrenaline or something? When I bang my head i instantly get amped up so I've always imagined it triggers adrenaline release in a way other owies don't. And some body chemicals can manifest themselves in your taste/smell. But I'm not an endocrinologist so that's just armchair science / speculation.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

Fuoco posted:

Seems fine to me.

Yep, it's working now. I dunno what was happening last night.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Carillon posted:

I've had this and like one of the above posters attributed it to breaking small blood vessels in my nose because of the metallic tang to it.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Carillon posted:

I know exactly what you’re talking about. I think like others have said it has to do with blood vessels or something because it smells the same as when I have a slightly bloody nose.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Nevil Maskelyne posted:

Depends on how much leak there is, you can use a bit of vinegar or lemon juice to neutralize it and wipe it off with a Q-tip or something, you might need to use a toothbrush if it's real old and there's a lot. It'll probably still work unless the leak was real bad and long ago.

This did the trick, thank you!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I got two of these huge 30 gallon grey bins at a rummage sale, but neither have lids. I've been trying to find a place to buy replacements but I can only find bin + lid together including on the manufacturer's site itself. is there any way to get replacement lids for these?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

So I’ve been dealing with a painful turd all day that feels like it’s literally ripping my rear end in a top hat a new one. Kinda weird because my diet is pretty decent so I don’t really get constipated or whatevs.

Then I realized I ate soft shell crab at a restaurant a couple days ago and maybe the shell wasn’t all that soft.

Suggestions on how to pass a bunch of jagged crab shell? I hear mineral oil is supposed to lube things up.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Captain Invictus posted:

I got two of these huge 30 gallon grey bins at a rummage sale, but neither have lids. I've been trying to find a place to buy replacements but I can only find bin + lid together including on the manufacturer's site itself. is there any way to get replacement lids for these?

I'd just go to Walmart and buy a third one then take three lids and do self-checkout.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

NotNut posted:

Yep, it's working now. I dunno what was happening last night.

They had a power outage.

https://mastodon.archive.org/@textfiles/111530880509297074
https://mastodon.archive.org/@textfiles/111530882265618233

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Re: bins and lids: IME they usually come free with the bins themselves in a store, even if they are in a separate pile, and they are not inventoried. On two occasions i have gotten free ones by being honest about why I need one (old one broke) and asking if I can buy it separately, and the employees would try to figure out if they can be sold separately, and eventually say gently caress it just take one.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Fruits of the sea posted:

So I’ve been dealing with a painful turd all day that feels like it’s literally ripping my rear end in a top hat a new one. Kinda weird because my diet is pretty decent so I don’t really get constipated or whatevs.

Then I realized I ate soft shell crab at a restaurant a couple days ago and maybe the shell wasn’t all that soft.

Suggestions on how to pass a bunch of jagged crab shell? I hear mineral oil is supposed to lube things up.

You can buy suppositories from the pharmacy, they also sell numbing cream but you might have to ask. I don’t know if you’re literally making GBS threads crab shell though

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Anyone know anything about Coleman coolers I have one that had the hinges break (honestly it was probably my fault for not noticing the screws were loosening), but it was under warranty so they will replace it.

They gave me the option of the 316 120 Quart Marine or the Atlas 120 quart (the model I have no longer exists). Any ideas which way I should go? It seems to be a small problem but I’m having trouble deciding.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

On Facebook Messenger a few months ago they added an AI sticker generator. It makes nearly any fictional character I can think of with no objections to those characters wielding firearms or other offbrand actions. At first I thought this would only last a day or two before Meta reeled it back in, but it’s still working fine and happily portraying Mickey Mouse dancing with Pikachu.

I’m no lawyer but my question is why Meta can use copyrighted characters without permission on a platform they use for making money.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Copyright law around AI content is very, very murky right now so it's not actually clear that they're violating anything. Disney will probably sue them at some point but all bets are off as to how that plays out.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Hyrax Attack! posted:

On Facebook Messenger a few months ago they added an AI sticker generator. It makes nearly any fictional character I can think of with no objections to those characters wielding firearms or other offbrand actions. At first I thought this would only last a day or two before Meta reeled it back in, but it’s still working fine and happily portraying Mickey Mouse dancing with Pikachu.

I’m no lawyer but my question is why Meta can use copyrighted characters without permission on a platform they use for making money.

i used to do social media work for a publishing house that was part of Disney and had to talk to lawyers about a much earlier iteration of this poo poo because they used to be so paranoid about Facebook stealing rights to Disney content that they were nervous about our authors sharing their own book covers on the platform.

that was over a decade ago well before this current AI situation, but my guess is that Disney is probably pretty pissed off in many corners of the company but haven't yet circled their lawyers up to do anything about it because they want to deal with AI in a specific way that stops other people from using their material but without setting any kind of precedent that would stop them from using the exact same tools to save money on artist labor and/or to steal content from less powerful entities. additionally, at this point they rely pretty heavily on using various Meta platforms for promotion and don't want to aggressively sour that relationship.

but thats not based anything other than my impression of their likely attitude that i picked up while working for the company.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Dec 7, 2023

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

ultrafilter posted:

Copyright law around AI content is very, very murky right now so it's not actually clear that they're violating anything. Disney will probably sue them at some point but all bets are off as to how that plays out.

I wouldn't say it's so much "murky" as it is obvious, but at cross-purposes to what corporations want. As Earwicker says, corporations want to be able to use AI to cut their operating costs, by firing 90+% of their "creatives" and using the remaining 10% to fix AI's mistakes. So they want AI to be legal, but controlled and monetizable. Meanwhile, the actual models are only possible through massive copyright infringement, by downloading everything everyone has ever uploaded to the internet, without regard to associated licenses and copyright, and shoving it all into a neural net. The models could only be made in the first place by using an academic-only exemption that permits copyright infringement for research and educational purposes.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The models could only be made in the first place by using an academic-only exemption that permits copyright infringement for research and educational purposes.

thats part of it, but there's also the fact that most violations of copyright are not generally enforced unless the copyright owner is actively enforcing it

massive copyright infringement is extremely common all over the place in all kinds of contexts that have little to do with AI. when i worked at Disney i was in an office in Times Sq and i could simply walk downstairs and 10 feet in front of our building to see people dressed up in completely unlicensed Mickey Mouse and Spiderman costumes harassing tourists on the street. which is definitely not something Disney approves of and every once in a while there is some kind of roundup (usually based on the immigration status of the people in those costumes, not their copyright violations) but most of the time, it's simply not worth the hassle and cost of enforcement

on the internet it's even more common. youtube is full of all kinds of stuff that isn't legally supposed to be there, and they have an automated system that catches like less than a third of it, the rest is up to copyright owners to issue takedown requests. tons of us on these very forums are using avatars that are intellectual property we do not own and have not licensed. etc. all this poo poo was very common well before this current iteration of AI entered the picture. something is only done about it if the copyright owner decides to spend a lot of time and resources doing something about it - and while Disney is one of the few entities to actually possess such resources, it's simply not to their benefit to aggressively shut all this poo poo down right now, nor to go into any kind of real conflict with Meta.

in other words if you want to develop an AI model on your own and train it on a library full of all kinds of poo poo you have no rights to use, you don't need really some kind of special "academic-only exception", you can just do it, because all that stuff is there and literally no one will stop you.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Dec 7, 2023

mystes
May 31, 2006

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I wouldn't say it's so much "murky" as it is obvious, but at cross-purposes to what corporations want. As Earwicker says, corporations want to be able to use AI to cut their operating costs, by firing 90+% of their "creatives" and using the remaining 10% to fix AI's mistakes. So they want AI to be legal, but controlled and monetizable. Meanwhile, the actual models are only possible through massive copyright infringement, by downloading everything everyone has ever uploaded to the internet, without regard to associated licenses and copyright, and shoving it all into a neural net. The models could only be made in the first place by using an academic-only exemption that permits copyright infringement for research and educational purposes.
How copyright relates to ai models trained on copyrighted works is still an open question. Also, when you say "could only be made in the first place by using an academic-only exemption that permits copyright infringement for research and educational purposes" I'm not sure if that's meant to be hypothetical or saying there is actually such an exception but the latter I don't think there is specifically an exception that anything goes for academic research in the US, it would just have to fall under fair use generally which is mostly up to the courts

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

mystes posted:

I don't think there is specifically an exception that anything goes for academic research in the US, it would just have to fall under fair use generally which is mostly up to the courts

also it has to actually get into the courts in the first place

as far as i am aware, the only people who have actively sued to stop AI right now was a small group of independent artists with little money and without the backing of any global corporations, and that lawsuit was already dismissed

unless some huge multinational megacorp actually launches a serious lawsuit against AI developers or against a platform for incorporating such tools, there's unlikely to be any kind of meaningful restriction on any of this. and since most huge multinational megacorps are busy figuring out how to use AI themselves in a ton of different contexts, i dont see that happening anytime soon.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I can't imagine that there aren't going to be a bunch of lawsuits over the next few years. It will just be easier to sue when it's like "this chinese movie was created using ai models that were trained specifically on disney movies" rather than "this model was trained on tons of stuff on the internet which may or may not have included works a handful of people created"

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

mystes posted:

I can't imagine that there aren't going to be a bunch of lawsuits over the next few years. It will just be easier to sue when it's like "this chinese movie was created using ai models that were trained specifically on disney movies" rather than "this model was trained on tons of stuff on the internet which may or may not have included works a handful of people created"

yes, it's certainly possible, but that depends specifically on who in china made that movie and disney's relationship with them and both of their relationships with the chinese government at that point and likely a bunch of other factors

but in the specific case at hand, the target of the lawsuit would be meta, and it would benefit pretty much no one for disney to go after meta about this. people making stickers in facebook messenger is not really affecting disney's profit or competing with disney in any meaningful way even if mickey mouse is doing "off brand" poo poo, suing meta to stop them from allowing these stickers would cost more money (and relationships) than it brought in and cause more problems than it solved.

also you can already easily download training libraries that are clearly 100% copyright protected material btw. like i've messed around with one for stable diffusion that was sourced entirely from elden ring. theoretically from or bandai namco could spend a bunch of time and resources hunting that poo poo down and issuing takedown requests or whatever but so far its probably just not worth the effort, since no one is currently using that stuff to cut into their profit.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 7, 2023

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
I'm wondering how risky it is to write a negative review using your Google account.

Take something like a shirt store that mostly sells online but has one or two locations as well. You buy a shirt where its description says 100% cotton. In fact the website notes 'We are proud to produce only 100% cotton shirts!' You get your order and the tag says 45% cotton 55% polyester. The store doesn't respond to your emails. What risk is there to upload a pic and note down what happened?

Google is the main place for reviews of this type here. But even if I had an account without my name tied to it, they could probably figure out who I am based on my complaint and the shirt in the picture.

So are the tales of rabid small-business owners stalking you online, writing negative reviews on your professional page, messaging your boss on LinkedIn with made up bs, and/or calling you from different phones telling you to take the review down isolated incidents or something to really consider as a potential outcome?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

None of that is gonna happen. Write a review if you want to.

mystes
May 31, 2006

RCarr posted:

None of that is gonna happen. Write a review if you want to.
It's very rare but there are cases where people have, for example, sued people for writing negative reviews online

99% of the time it will be fine but I would personally be hesitant to write a negative review of a small business under my actual name because you never know if they're going to be crazy

I think there is a definite chance if you're identifiable they'll at least try to contact you to resolve the situation / get you to take the negative review down

mystes fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Dec 7, 2023

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
It takes about 5 seconds to make another gmail account and you can write anything you want for the display name which is the part that appears public.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
When a criminal is extradited across continents how does it happen? Do they just bundle the guy up in handcuffs in a normal passenger airline seat or is there some kinda government transportation they hitch a ride on or what?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

When a criminal is extradited across continents how does it happen? Do they just bundle the guy up in handcuffs in a normal passenger airline seat or is there some kinda government transportation they hitch a ride on or what?

i don't know about internationally, but i've seen people in handcuffs on airplanes on domestic flights for state to state extradition. always with a cop in the next seat of course.

edit: altho now that i think about it, i saw this exactly twice and it was both times flying out of a weird small airport in upstate ny, so i dont think its particularly common and there's probably some other method.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 7, 2023

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Fruits of the sea posted:

send a second, smaller crab up there to remove it. either direction should work

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Bright Bart posted:

So are the tales of rabid small-business owners stalking you online, writing negative reviews on your professional page, messaging your boss on LinkedIn with made up bs, and/or calling you from different phones telling you to take the review down isolated incidents or something to really consider as a potential outcome?
I recently had a bunch of roof painters (and a few miscellaneous other tradespeople) phone, text and email me about quoting for a non-existent job a suspiciously short time after I wrote a negative review on google. One of them woke me up at 8am on a Saturday. :mad:

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
Why are all Scandinavian folk singers women?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

NotNut posted:

Why are all Scandinavian folk singers women?

they aren't :confused:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I think it depends, but the Danish examples are mostly two cops escorting the criminal on a regular plane as far as I know.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

send a second, smaller crab up there to remove it. either direction should work

It was actually 2 crabs I ate, maybe this is some sort of nightmare scenario and I am now full of many little crabs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

-wrong thread-

Qubee fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Dec 8, 2023