Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

a galvanized frog

I've heard worse usernames

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

I hope she filed a bar complaint too. Intentionally misrepresenting a client or hiding the fact you have a conflict is disbarment level poo poo.

From what I read the suit requests as part it’s relief that the court refer Habba and her firm to the bar for disciplinary action.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony
If you can still listen to it, Opening Arguments covered the Habba suit today.

Takes a special piece of crap to take advantage of a sexual harassment survivor.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Wasn’t that literally a subplot on Succession? They sent Shiv to defang a lawsuit by talking down one of the key accusers?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
https://twitter.com/jonallendc/status/1731887398789738507

"Recipients were also notified that the in-person written questionnaire is different from the online version, which is often the only one used in federal trials."

“The date’s public and the length is suspicious,” said the person who received the form and requested anonymity to avoid attracting unwanted attention related to the trial. “You can easily infer what it’s regarding.”

"Special counsel Jack Smith’s office, two Trump lawyers and the spokesperson for the U.S. District Court did not reply to requests to confirm the authenticity of the form."

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Ms Adequate posted:

I agree with all of this. The thing is, any evidence excluded from the trial could putatively have immensely consequential information in it because, by definition, the court did not consider it. In practice it's not so clear cut and the court excludes stuff precisely because they do know what it is, and it's bullshit. But Engoron allowing any old nonsense in is definitely the safer course, thanks to it being a bench trial (lol and lmao that Trump's team just forgot to tick the Jury Trial box). He knows what is actually impactful and can let the defense piss away their limited time on nonsense if it means that a subsequent appeal request can't say "We need an appeal because X, Y, Z pieces of exculpatory evidence were barred from consideration".

Plus I don’t think it'll sway any magas and Trump will lie anyway, but I do think it'd make things less convincing if the media was reporting a factual truth that evidence was excluded; regardless of the actual proceedings and procedures of law that's just not something the general public is going to feel totally comfortable with. And we need to be very careful about things that could sway the undecided in Trump's direction for the next year.

I love how "Trump being involved in like 4 criminal trials" is not enough on its own to sway undecideds. Good job America!

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
NVM error

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Murgos posted:

Trump’s Bedminster resort has a new suit filed against it by a former employee who says she was sexually harassed there by a senior employee and it was covered up through fraudulent means when a lawyer, Elena Habba, pretended to be the victims friend and provided what looks like very conflicted and highly unethical advice to settle for a minuscule amount and sign an apparently illegal NDA.

A few weeks after the settlement was signed Habba was formally representing Trump.

We’ll see if it goes anywhere but the employee has picked up some major league representation. The same lawyer who successfully sued Roger Ailes for sexual harassment.

Do you have a link for more info?

Oh, and gently caress Opening Arguments. I can't listen to Andrew any more, not after the poo poo he did.

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

Charliegrs posted:

I love how "Trump being involved in like 4 criminal trials" is not enough on its own to sway undecideds. Good job America!

Undecideds are noted for their complex heuristic analysis, it may appear they're all low information idiots and massive hypocrites but actually they're playing 10 dimensional chess you see.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

BDawg posted:

If you can still listen to it, Opening Arguments covered the Habba suit today.

Takes a special piece of crap to take advantage of a sexual harassment survivor.

But enough about Andrew

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Fuschia tude posted:

But enough about Andrew

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Charliegrs posted:

Christ ain't that the truth :sigh: There is polling where a lot of them say an actual conviction will change things for them but who knows

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Ms Adequate posted:

Christ ain't that the truth :sigh: There is polling where a lot of them say an actual conviction will change things for them but who knows
Why would a conviction in a rigged trial change their minds? If anything that only makes it more likely that Trump is the best candidate! If he wasn't, why would The Swamp be willing to go to such lengths to suppress him?

But seriously, these people aren't reachable by objective reality. They never have been, they never will be, and if they say otherwise they're lying. They knew what he was when they took him in.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

pumpinglemma posted:

Why would a conviction in a rigged trial change their minds? If anything that only makes it more likely that Trump is the best candidate! If he wasn't, why would The Swamp be willing to go to such lengths to suppress him?

But seriously, these people aren't reachable by objective reality. They never have been, they never will be, and if they say otherwise they're lying. They knew what he was when they took him in.

To be fair, you're definitely not talking about "undecideds". You're talking about the folks that decided before Trump was even indicted.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

pumpinglemma posted:

Because even if the trial was rigged the fact that he was convicted means he's not just a guy being harrased anymore, he's a criminal and categorically that makes voting for him less appealing. And the whole point of voting for him in the first place is how doing it makes you feel.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

pumpinglemma posted:

Why would a conviction in a rigged trial change their minds?

The argument as I understand it, is that most voters are "normies", they don't follow politics at all, they're not MAGA even if they are personally dumb and racist or whatever. And they generally believe in the rule of law as a loose concept, so if they see a conviction then some of them'll assume that puts Trump outside the bounds of civil discourse.

I'm not sure that I totally buy the thesis, or that there's enough True Normies left in post-Facebook America, but I get the idea, and I guess maybe we'll find out

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Failed Imagineer posted:

The argument as I understand it, is that most voters are "normies", they don't follow politics at all, they're not MAGA even if they are personally dumb and racist or whatever. And they generally believe in the rule of law as a loose concept, so if they see a conviction then they'll assume that puts Trump outside the bounds of civil discourse.

I'm not sure that I totally buy the thesis, or that there's enough True Normies left in post-Facebook America, but I get the idea, and I guess maybe we'll find out

There's some polls that show about about 10% of voters are open to supporting Trump, but wouldn't if he was convicted of a felony. Whether those people are telling the truth, how reliable the polling is, and if they still feel that way a year later are all open questions.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
undecideds are not especially relevant politically. you're probably thinking of self-identified moderates/centrists or independents and they are specifically where trump's support is most notably weak relative to a generic R candidate

as people pointed out above, the people who don't give a gently caress about 4 criminal cases going to trial are the extremely decideds

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Justice filed a 404(b) notice in Chutkan's case today, and I'm regrettably informed that Federal Rule of Evidence 404 is not "Evidence Not Found".

It's a notice of evidence they intend to use in trial, and best as I can tell as a nonlawknower, evidence of past and/or uncharged statements/tweets/jackassery that they want to use to counter the sorts of Trump defenses we saw in Colorado and anticipate elsewhere. Just the headers because gently caress phone posting PDF formatting:

quote:

Historical Evidence of the Defendant’s Consistent Plan of Baselessly Claiming Election Fraud

Historical Evidence of the Defendant’s Common Plan to Refuse to Commit to a Peaceful Transition of Power

Evidence of the Defendant and Co-Conspirators’ Knowledge of the Unfavorable Election Results and Motive and Intent to Subvert Them

Pre- and Post-Conspiracy Evidence That the Defendant and Co-Conspirators Suppressed Proof Their Fraud Claims Were False and Retaliated Against Officials Who Undermined Their Criminal Plans

Pre- and Post-Conspiracy Evidence of the Defendant’s Public Attacks on Individuals, Encouragement of Violence, and Knowledge of the Foreseeable Consequences

Post-Conspiracy Evidence of the Defendant’s Steadfast Support and Endorsement of Rioters

More detail (with some redacted) at the link above.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Cimber posted:

Do you have a link for more info?

Oh, and gently caress Opening Arguments. I can't listen to Andrew any more, not after the poo poo he did.

https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/4336570-former-trump-club-employee-sues-sexual-harassment-pressured-sign-nda/amp/

There is a link to the complaint in the article.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Failed Imagineer posted:

The argument as I understand it, is that most voters are "normies", they don't follow politics at all, they're not MAGA even if they are personally dumb and racist or whatever. And they generally believe in the rule of law as a loose concept, so if they see a conviction then some of them'll assume that puts Trump outside the bounds of civil discourse.

The New York Times interviews with some of the "would not vote Biden but would vote Harris" people in the poll everyone was freaking out about three weeks ago included discussions with one woman who was of the opinion that Roe v. Wade being overturned was Biden's decision, which was why she was against Biden's re-election. To be clear, not in a D&D super-involved leftist pedant way of "well if Joe Biden really wanted to save Roe v. Wade he would have packed the court in 2021 and his unwillingness to do so meant he actually did not care about RvW" but very specifically in a "I did not realize that the Supreme Court had anything to do with Roe v. Wade" way.

I'm not sure if most voters are 'normies' but a lot of the 'undecideds' and 'swing' voters are very, very, very uninformed, uninterested-in-being-informed people.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

skeleton warrior posted:

I'm not sure if most voters are 'normies' but a lot of the 'undecideds' and 'swing' voters are very, very, very uninformed, uninterested-in-being-informed people.
My favorite dumb political ritual is the final debate of the Presidential campaign, where the networks often have picked audiences of undecided voters to comment on what they thought, or sometimes even to ask questions. After a solid year of round-the-clock coverage and multiple billions of dollars of ad spending, the only people still wavering between the D and R candidates are either blissfully unaware or stone-cold morons (or both!), and man when they interview the "undecideds" after the debate they absolutely live down to that expectation, making random C-SPAN callers look like learned professors of political science by comparison. It's pure comedy.

e: I remember before the final debate of 2012, some woman in a focus group of undecided voters was asked what she hoped to hear the candidates debate, and she put on her Serious Face said she was really concerned about health care. The debate starts, and a fair bit of it focused on health care, with Obama defending the AMA and touting its benefits, and Romney criticizing it and talking about the free market and tort reform. It wasn't a deep dive full of specifics, but both candidates did put forward an outline of their plans and they pointed out the very sharp differences between them. After the debate was over, they went back to the room and asked the woman what she thought, and she put on her Disappointed Face and said she was disappointed that there wasn't any real discussion of health care. That's pretty much what I think of when I hear someone describe themselves as an undecided voter.

FMguru fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Dec 6, 2023

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

FMguru posted:

My favorite dumb political ritual is the final debate of the Presidential campaign, where the networks often have picked audiences of undecided voters to comment on what they thought, or sometimes even to ask questions. After a solid year of round-the-clock coverage and multiple billions of dollars of ad spending, the only people still wavering between the D and R candidates are either blissfully unaware or stone-cold morons (or both!), and man when they interview the "undecideds" after the debate they absolutely live down to that expectation, making random C-SPAN callers look like learned professors of political science by comparison. It's pure comedy.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Yeeeepppppp.

It's so funny. They're the dumbest motherfuckers imaginable, and they are treated by the networks like they are these deeply thoughtful and unbiased sages, carefully weighing the pros and cons of each candidate's positions across the entire issue spectrum before finally rendering their wise, Solomon-like verdict.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Charliegrs posted:

"Ok Mr Johnson. You desperately need a car. I'll let you choose between these two:

This one over here is a 2002 model and rusty as hell, but it runs and will hold you over til you get a better one.

This car over here has no engine, a spring sticking up in the middle of the seat, no safety features of any kind, and exhaust fumes leak into the cabin at all times. Also, it is actively on fire at this very moment."

"Gosh.....tough choice...."

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

"Ok Mr Johnson. You desperately need a car. I'll let you choose between these two:

This one over here is a 2002 model and rusty as hell, but it runs and will hold you over til you get a better one.

This car over here has no engine, a spring sticking up in the middle of the seat, no safety features of any kind, and exhaust fumes leak into the cabin at all times. Also, it is actively on fire at this very moment."

I think the last time I actually voted _for_ a president was in 2008 when I voted for Obama. Every other election I've always been voting against the Republican, and this is going back to 1992.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Cimber posted:

I think the last time I actually voted _for_ a president was in 2008 when I voted for Obama. Every other election I've always been voting against the Republican, and this is going back to 1992.

Likewise. But I still wasn't an undecided because I was underwhelmed by the D candidate. Not saying you were either.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

A relevant video.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Oh no, this is devolving into election talk again.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

FMguru posted:

Yeeeepppppp.

It's so funny. They're the dumbest motherfuckers imaginable, and they are treated by the networks like they are these deeply thoughtful and unbiased sages, carefully weighing the pros and cons of each candidate's positions across the entire issue spectrum before finally rendering their wise, Solomon-like verdict.

And these Solomon voters will wisely divide the nation into two parts to appease feuding parties. I will arbitrarily pick North v. South, but it's completely at random and nothing of course to with anything that has come before in our history.

For certain presidents, retaining huge FL golf resorts may mean abandoning huge NY properties. Properties so big, they seem 3x the size of anything else you've ever seen like them.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Nitrousoxide posted:

Oh no, this is devolving into election talk again.

"this car is provided by a company that tries to prove that cars, fundamentally, cannot transport. also it is programmed to target minorities while driving"

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Kavros posted:

"this car is provided by a company that tries to prove that cars, fundamentally, cannot transport. also it is programmed to target minorities while driving"

Programmed to target, or not programmed to recognize for avoidance?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Well who can blame them when choosing between a 2002 rustbucket and a fresh off the assembly line cybertruck?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Tesseraction posted:

Well who can blame them when choosing between a 2002 rustbucket and a fresh off the assembly line cybertruck?

If Elon can make exhaust fumes leak into the cabin of the cybertruck, that would be incredibly impressive and also nostalgic of the poo poo box trucks all our dads drove in the 90s. I'd probably get one.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

"Tell you what, if you act now, I'll throw in some incendiary language, a willingness to incite riots and a free coat of authoritarianism! What do you say?"

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Should be fun.

Exclusive: Georgia prosecutors put Mike Pence on their witness list in 2020 election subversion case against Trump

https://www.cnn.com/2023/12/06/politics/mike-pence-georgia-witness-list

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Charlz Guybon posted:

Should be fun.

Exclusive: Georgia prosecutors put Mike Pence on their witness list in 2020 election subversion case against Trump

https://www.cnn.com/2023/12/06/politics/mike-pence-georgia-witness-list

Let’s see if Trump can violate two gag orders with one tweet!

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Murgos posted:

Let’s see if Trump can violate two gag orders with one tweet!

2gags1tweet.avi

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Agents are GO! posted:

2gags1tweet.avi

We're sure for a title change anyways and this sparks joy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Wisconsin Trump electors settle lawsuit, agree Biden won in 2020

quote:

In a legal settlement Wednesday, the 10 Republicans who signed official-looking paperwork falsely purporting Donald Trump won Wisconsin in 2020 have agreed to withdraw their inaccurate filings, acknowledge Joe Biden won the presidency and not serve as presidential electors in 2024 or in any election where Trump is on the ballot.

Wednesday’s civil settlement marks the first time pro-Trump electors have agreed to revoke their false filings and not repeat their actions in the next presidential election. It comes as Republicans in two other states face criminal charges for falsely claiming to be presidential electors, and investigations are underway in three additional states.

Documents released as part of the settlement revealed one of the Wisconsin Republicans appeared to refer to the attempt to install Trump for a second term as a “possible steal.” That Republican expressed skepticism about the plan but told others he was going along with it in part because he feared he would face blowback from Trump supporters if he didn’t.

The lawsuit, filed last year by two of the state’s rightful electors, alleged the Republicans had taken part in a conspiracy to defraud voters and sought up to $200,000 from each Trump elector. No money is being exchanged as part of the settlement.

The Biden electors are continuing their lawsuit against two attorneys who assisted the Wisconsin Republicans — Jim Troupis, a former Dane County judge who led Trump’s recount efforts in the state, and Kenneth Chesebro, who advised Republicans around the country and pleaded guilty in October to conspiring to overturn Biden’s win in Georgia.