Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Currently stuck at Paddington with every train on the board being delayed, cancelled or "Pls wait".

Best one is the train that is cancelled due to "More trains than usual needing repairs at the same time".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009

Clarence posted:

Currently stuck at Paddington with every train on the board being delayed, cancelled or "Pls wait".

Best one is the train that is cancelled due to "More trains than usual needing repairs at the same time".

It's not Paddington without the existential terror of whether your train will depart on time, be late, or be cancelled ten minutes after it was due to depart.

I go from London to Hereford leaving around 8pm quite often so get the fun dilemma of opting for the last direct train that takes three and a half hours and is often cancelled, or going via Newport which takes an hour less but is often late departing and only has a 7 minute changeover time , potentially resulting in several hours spent on a platform in Wales' shittiest city in the dead of night. And of course you only learn whether your train is cancelled or delayed about five minutes before departure.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
King's Cross is my favourite London station - easy access to the Underground, a so-so first-class lounge and a pleasant standard-class lounge (:cheers:), and its bricks make it glow in the summer sunshine:

LNER will finally be retiring the InterCity 225 sets in a few years as well, replacing them with a microfleet of CAF-built tri-mode MUs ... shame they never made it to 140mph running in their service life, but it's just not worth retrofitting the new signalling gubbins to locos that'll either be preserved or scrapped shortly after.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Might have been a few years ago but I swear this thread title referenced a video I'm currently looking for. It was an American shouting about how this is the greatest moment of his life as a train approaches before his view is cut off by another train in the opposite direction.

Can anyone help or did I invent that video amongst all the other similar types?

aeiou
Jul 12, 2006

It's cold in here...
Just kidding! It's to
fool enemies..

freelop posted:

Might have been a few years ago but I swear this thread title referenced a video I'm currently looking for. It was an American shouting about how this is the greatest moment of his life as a train approaches before his view is cut off by another train in the opposite direction.

Can anyone help or did I invent that video amongst all the other similar types?

I think you're thinking of these two videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lutNECOZFw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBBK2hjcPuA

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

I think you're right, I must have added those 2 videos together in my mind.

I wish I could be as excited about anything as the guy in the first video

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I get that excited about things, but keep it on the inside where no one can make videos of me to post online/my wife realized what she married and runs away.

Just kidding about the second one. She knows and will have to bear that cross for the rest of her days. I once ran clear out of a restaurant to go watch a train.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

which train

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

the L

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I was having lunch with my wife, mother-in-law, sister-in-law and her husband, my then one year old nephew, and some of their family friends. The meal was more or less over and the women were women talking and such about things that aren't sports or whatever. Immediately across the street, there's a small two track interchange between the Georgia Central and the Heart of Georgia. As soon as I saw the grade crossing flashers start, I told my wife "I'll be right back" and off I went. I watched them work the interchange. Lots of boxcars, but also a few loads of telephone poles.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

The mark of a seasoned railfan addict is choosing restaurant seating based on an unobstructed view of the nearby railway line. :monocle:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The joke's on them. It is my wife's favorite restaurant in her home town!

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Choosing your wife based on her favorite restaurant and hometown just so you could see a train… wild

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

In all seriousness, she is a good sport about it.

For our fourth anniversary, she tracked down an antique lantern from a railroad that ran through my hometown (Bessemer & Lake Erie) on the logic that a lantern is a lamp and a lamp is an appliance and four years is appliances. She likes hunting for antiques and I kinda started collecting railroad stuff when I started going out on trips with her.

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012
I can't find it for the life of me right now, but that first video that aeiou posted is a parody of the original foamer screaming about seeing a heritage unit.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Sash! posted:

In all seriousness, she is a good sport about it.

:hf: spouses that tolerate

couple years back we were planning a trip to the UK, and my wife let me build the itinerary around the london transport museum's depot open days.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Tex Avery posted:

I can't find it for the life of me right now, but that first video that aeiou posted is a parody of the original foamer screaming about seeing a heritage unit.

This is the original video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhYXNwvcl6A

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012
Oh my god that video is 11 years old :corsair:

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Big "Get a load of that dog" vibes

aeiou
Jul 12, 2006

It's cold in here...
Just kidding! It's to
fool enemies..

Ah drat, I didn't realize the one I posted was a parody. It was the only one I saw years ago. Still, I appreciate the genuine excitement and enthusiasm real guy has. Kinda a bit jealous.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Along these lines:

https://youtu.be/jdA0u3WKx1c?si=63au_kwcsRbr_HSV

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Frankly, I think that guy displayed a remarkable amount of restraint in his profanity and screaming.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Sash! posted:

Frankly, I think that guy displayed a remarkable amount of restraint in his profanity and screaming.

When the train tooted its horn :kiddo:

There's a brewery at the rail yard in my Dad's hometown, where my fiancée and I were having a drink after casing some wedding vendors. I joked that if the family farm didn't work out, we could always get married at the historical society (which is in the train station)- maybe we could invite the train to come!

I then explained that I was just kidding, we aren't going to invite the Amtrak to our wedding. She nodded and remarked that "most people don't anthropomorphize trains" and "if we knew what we know now when you were a kid, you would have been tested" and handed me my beer. A keeper.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

bloody ghost titty posted:

"most people don't anthropomorphize trains"

METX #210 desperately wishes this were true

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

NoWake posted:

METX #210 desperately wishes this were true

I see you're familiar with the land whale.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I'm not sure if that's worse or better than the lady that's in love with the Eiffel Tower, but I can't decide.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Posted this is in the capitalism.png thread but thought you guys might also get a kick out of it:

Meanwhile in Poland
Maintenance company SPS successfully bids for the overhaul contract for trains made by a company called Newag, beating out Newag itself to get the contract. It carries out the first few overhauls fully to-spec, and to everybody's surprise, after being put back together the trains just do not start. After several dead ends, out of desperation someone at SPS googles "polish hackers" and they hire an infosec company to have a look.
What they find when they break into the onboard computers:

quote:

The numerical values 53.13845 and 17.99011 found in the computer code seemed familiar at first glance. It soon became apparent that these were GPS coordinates pointing to the vicinity of Bydgoszcz Główny Railway Station, specifically the PESA (another Polish train producer and maintenance center) site located next to it. Soon the coordinates of other maintenance centers that could carry out train repairs and maintenance in Poland were also found. Below we show the pseudo-code of the algorithm (the names of the variables or functions are given by the researchers for clarity – we do not know what the original names were):
code:
check1 = 53.13845 < lat && lat < 53.13882 && 17.99011 < long && long < 17.99837; 
check2 = 53.14453 < lat && lat < 53.14828 && 18.00428 < long && long < 18.00555; 
check3 = 52.17048 < lat && lat < 52.17736 && 21.53480 < long && long < 21.54437; 
check4 = 49.60336 < lat && lat < 49.60686 && 20.70073 < long && long < 20.70840 
        && (this->lock_function_test & 1); 
check5 = 53.10244 < lat && lat < 53.10406 && 18.07817 < long && long < 18.08243; 
check6 = 50.12608 < lat && lat < 50.12830 && 19.38411 < long && long < 19.38872; 
check7 = 52.77292 < lat && lat < 52.77551 && 18.22117 < long && long < 18.22724;
Coordinate pairs define the workshop areas. A condition has been written in the computer code to disable the ability to run a train if it spends at least 10 days in one of these workshops. One of the workshops belongs to Newag itself – but a different logical condition was defined for its coordinates, presumably for testing purposes.

Other surprises were soon discovered. Among them was the blocking of a train when one of its components is replaced (verified by its serial number). An option to undo the lockout was also discovered – this did not require setting flags at computer memory level, just the right sequence of button clicks in the cab and on the on-board computer screen. When news of the successful launch of the Impulse hit the media, the trains received a software update that removed this ‘fix’ option. On another train, a code was found instructing it to ‘break down’ after a million kilometres.

quote:

A rather funny situation was encountered on another train that refused to work on November 21, 2022, even though it was not in maintenance at the time. The computer reported that the compressor had failed, although the mechanics said that everything was fine with the compressor. Unfortunately, the train still did not raise the pantographs. Analysis of the computer code detected a condition forcing the failure, which sounded like this:
* if the day is greater than or equal to 21 and
* if the month is greater than or equal to 11 and
* if the year is greater than or equal to 2021
then report a compressor failure. The situation was funny because the train had been scheduled for servicing in November 2021 (the year before the breakdown), but the condition did not work then by coincidence. The train went into maintenance a while earlier, and was not put back into service until January 2022 – and the sophisticated logic condition described above no longer met this date. Presumably, it was the software developer’s lack of skill in constructing IFs that made it necessary to wait until November 21, 2022 for the scheduled failure.

quote:

Surprises lurked not only in the software of the computers. In one train set, researchers discovered a device signed as a “UDP<->CAN converter”, presumably enabling remote communication with the train. Removing it did not make anything stop working. Analysis showed that the on-board computer was sending lock status information to this device, and that the device itself was connected to a GSM modem.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Pretty good summary of the problems with PSR for normal people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ2keSJzYyY

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Dec 12, 2023

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

GotLag posted:

Posted this is in the capitalism.png thread but thought you guys might also get a kick out of it:

Meanwhile in Poland
Maintenance company SPS successfully bids for the overhaul contract for trains made by a company called Newag, beating out Newag itself to get the contract. It carries out the first few overhauls fully to-spec, and to everybody's surprise, after being put back together the trains just do not start. After several dead ends, out of desperation someone at SPS googles "polish hackers" and they hire an infosec company to have a look.

This is so crazy…

So are we to assume that the manufacturer did this to prevent 3rd party or others from performing maintenance?
Also the last one was to keep tabs on the trains use?

Ffs

The era of ownership is coming to an end; ironically, capitalism killed it off

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

namlosh posted:

This is so crazy…

So are we to assume that the manufacturer did this to prevent 3rd party or others from performing maintenance?
Also the last one was to keep tabs on the trains use?

Ffs

The era of ownership is coming to an end; ironically, capitalism killed it off

It's not the end of ownership, just capitalism continuing its ultimate goal of shifting all ownership to a few rich dudes. Nothing new or ironic about it.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I agree with that totally…

I meant it in the way that all of OUR stuff is going to be a subscription and you can no longer OWN something in the sense that you can do anything you want with it

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

GotLag posted:

Meanwhile in Poland
LOL they should sue Newag into the loving ground.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Centzon Totochtin posted:

https://twitter.com/NYC_DOT/status/1735341152847458658?s=19

Since it seems like most of the thread is from Jersey at this point

Do any railroads still run with cow catchers?

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Every train has a cow catcher, once.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

evil_bunnY posted:

LOL they should sue Newag into the loving ground.

Newag is suing them.

https://www.404media.co/polish-hackers-repaired-trains-the-manufacturer-artificially-bricked-now-the-train-company-is-threatening-them/

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I'm sad because my wife saw the CSX Veterans unit and I was in the car, but too busy paying attention to the road while driving like a moron.

I've never seen any of the CSX special paint schemes and only got a bad view of the NS Erie heritage unit once. Seen basically all of the Amtrak ones though.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Metra in Chicagoland has started using SD70MACH locomotives, which are rebuilds of the SD70MAC with the addition of HEP. They are six-axle units but the two axles nearest the fuel tank are inactive. Here's one on a test run, there are now four in revenue service, the initial delivery will be 15 units, with an option of up to 27 more:

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL
its cool and good that we basically use the same locomotive everywhere now

time doesn’t go forward and our brains just get more smooth

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Chenghiz posted:

its cool and good that we basically use the same locomotive everywhere now

time doesn’t go forward and our brains just get more smooth