Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

ivantod posted:

Hey so I'm new in this thread so I'm not sure exactly if this fits the subject, but...

I've been having my eye on this thing: https://www.agoramodels.com/mercedes300sl/.

So I was wondering if anybody has opinions/experience with these kinds of models. I've watched a few videos with this and other models, but still they are quite expensive and I would like to hear some opinions before taking the plunge!

Thanks!

You should give a look to World of Wayne on Youtube. He builds all the Agora model releases. He is on part 4 of the Mercedes so far, linked below. I built the Agora Bismarck and it was really nice and easy, but with a high enough level of challenge to make it interesting, not frustrating though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOp281tZjDc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.
Thank you both for insights!

Actually I have already seen a few of Wayne's videos, which only made me want to do it more! :)

I guess I'll take the plunge on the Mercedes, at least it seems you are not locked in and can cancel the subscription at any point.

Wish me luck lol!

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
So what do you do when you start running out of places to display your models? Obviously "build less models" is a non starter.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Charliegrs posted:

So what do you do when you start running out of places to display your models? Obviously "build less models" is a non starter.

Get a container or two like those office documents cardboard boxes

and use cardboard to create self-supporting dividers like for Christmas ornaments or whatever

and use these to rotate models out of display. If you're feeling froggy, you can use them to adjust decor. Put green tanks on the mantle at Christmas time! Break out the Black Widow for Halloween!

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Charliegrs posted:

My skill is still improving rapidly enough that my earlier works are embarrassing to display, so tanks from 10+ years ago are gradually being retired to the spares box.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Charliegrs posted:

Buy a bigger house.. duh..

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I’ve still got another section of bookshelf to upgrade before I run out of room. It’s handy building cars cause you can fit a pile of them on a shelf.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
I'll soon be building floating shelves in my hobby room.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Charliegrs posted:

Build only aircraft, hang them all from the ceiling.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
What's stopping you from mounting tanks upside down on your ceiling?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

You can fit a LOT of 1/700 scale ships in a small display case or small shelving unit.

Now I have to admit I suck for not having enough light to go get a photo of the 1/700 destroyers and the 1/1200 Ticonderoga in the display shelf by the door.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I have to stop buying 1/200 scale model ships and 1/16 scale tanks. Luckily I can bring in a bunch and display them at work, but if I ever quit I don't know what I would do.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I've had a 1:16 T-34 lying around for a few years that would be a huge pain to find room for. When I eventually finish it, I'm sure I'll find it somehow.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

GotLag posted:

What's stopping you from mounting tanks upside down on your ceiling?
They'd have to redo the sag on their tracks, or it wouldn't look right :(

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Bring them to work to decorate your workspace!

Note: your coworkers will sometimes borrow them for meetings and such.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

FrozenVent posted:

Note: your coworkers will sometimes borrow them for meetings and such.

...or finger gently caress them and break them. I swear people can't keep their grubby mitts off of a scale model.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Backlogtoberfest build #2 is done! Panzer IV Ausf E in the colors of the Deutsches Afrikakorps. These tanks were shipped from the factory in standard Panzer grey, then hastily painted with desert camo once they arrived at the unit. Thus, the heavy chipping. I used the hairspray method to achieve that, and I recalled why I don't use it very often. It's rare for me to get the consistency just right and I either have to scrub the poo poo out of model to get the chipping effect, or I put on too much hairspray and the topcoat sloughs off in huge patches. This tended towards the latter, and even spraying a varnish coat activated some of the hairspray and cracked the topcoat.

Ah well, it isn't perfect, but I'm happy with it. Now on to the next kit!

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Looks great, very reasonable degree of wear on the paint.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Ensign Expendable posted:

Looks great, very reasonable degree of wear on the paint.

Thank you!

This is not technically a backlog kit. I started it a few months ago while I was waiting for something on the A6M Zero to dry. It's been built for a few weeks, but as of yesterday at the time of posting the Panzer IV, it was unprimed. I took this week off for a sanity leave and have been able to knock this one out too. I'm really happy with how it turned out, especially because I accidentally splashed a bit of hardware-store-grade lacquer thinner on it at one point. :sigh:

Anyway, this is the Tamiya M18 Hellcat. It's a nice little kit and goes together really well. I didn't care for the kit decals, so I took a little bit of creative license and bashed together something from the spares bin. (Don't tell anyone, but the 814th TD Battalion never fielded M18s, only M10s and M36s.) I'm also not huge on piling stowage and the likes onto a vehicle, so its less encumbered than most M18 models out there. If I ever put it in a diorama, I can always add more stuff later. Anyway, enjoy. :)

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Chuck_D posted:

. (Don't tell anyone, but the 814th TD Battalion never fielded M18s, only M10s and M36s.)

I was going to congratulate you on an amazing looking Hellcat but this is unacceptable. The utter GALL!

It is a very excellent outcome though.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
I know, I know. My shame is immeasurable. :D

I'm not overly worried about the people in this thread, but some of the pedants/joyless modeling nazis at other forums have conditioned me to thoroughly justify ahistorical decisions like this.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Chuck_D posted:

I know, I know. My shame is immeasurable. :D

I'm not overly worried about the people in this thread, but some of the pedants/joyless modeling nazis at other forums have conditioned me to thoroughly justify ahistorical decisions like this.

I think it looks great. I've always felt that it is your model so you build it how you like and you don't have to justify anything to anyone.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Honestly the Bob Ross approach is perfectly acceptable for modeling. Happy accidents, and it's your world - the model just lives in it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Been working on the train for the first time in like 8 months. Doing a very challenging bridge project loosely based on a real local bridge. Currently trying to figure out how to make the bridge kinda removable for while I'm doing scenery work. And how to link the nice C55 bridge track with my peco "c55" flex in a nice way.

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

Vorenus posted:

Honestly the Bob Ross approach is perfectly acceptable for modeling. Happy accidents, and it's your world - the model just lives in it.

Sometimes I deliberately put a tiny little inaccuracy or ahistorical detail somewhere in a model and never mention it to anyone to see if it lures any rivet counters out into the sunlight.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Vorenus posted:

I couldn't agree more. Paint your tank pink if it makes your heart happy. I try to generally strive for accuracy in my own work, but I'm very very much an "I'm okay, you're okay" type of person.

@Baronjutter - that bridge is looking great. Can't wait to see progress on it. I'm continually fascinated by people who can do great ground work.

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.

Chuck_D posted:

Backlogtoberfest build #2 is done! Panzer IV Ausf E in the colors of the Deutsches Afrikakorps.

Anyway, this is the Tamiya M18 Hellcat.

That's all some seriously good stuff! Very nicely done with the weathering. The peeling paint on the Pz 4 is perfect. Really inspiring work!

Jealous of people who have both time and dedication to finish their models.
Hoping for more free time and to resist cracking the next box before I finish what I have on the shelf already. Backlogtwentytwentyfour.

Baronjutter posted:

Been working on the train for the first time in like 8 months. Doing a very challenging bridge project loosely based on a real local bridge. Currently trying to figure out how to make the bridge kinda removable for while I'm doing scenery work. And how to link the nice C55 bridge track with my peco "c55" flex in a nice way.

That looks very familiar. E&N?
I love the scenery work of railway layouts so much, it looks like so fun!

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Backlogtoberfest #1 for me:

Going to start in on a Tamiya RX-7 kit next, and we'll see just how far I get. Here's hoping!

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I would up applying a thin white filter to the model to help dull down the contrast between the grey of the panels and the rest of the hull. This also allowed me to go in and lighten up some of the shading done at the edges of the larger molded panels too. It's coming along well so far, but lots of paint to go down yet. Frustratingly, I am finding that the VMA paints that I am using are quite a bit less resilient than the miniature paints that I am used to working with and is much easier to mark up.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

I would post this in the 3D printing thread but that mainly seems to be about the machines and I'm showing off the paint job.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

My 1/16 easy 8 has 144 individually modeled tracks of which each is made up of 3 pieces. 4 whole sprues of just tracks. Don't think I can do it all in a row. Gonna have to work on other parts of the tank between sections.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

nitsuga posted:

Backlogtoberfest #1 for me:

Going to start in on a Tamiya RX-7 kit next, and we'll see just how far I get. Here's hoping!

Awww yiss, can't beat the 555 livery. :swoon:

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Anyone built this 1/72 Academy A10?

I was in desperate need of something to build and I have no model stores nearby so I went to Hobby Lobby and well you know, their selection sucks. It was only $18 bucks so if it's a terrible kit it's not really a big deal also I've been looking for something a little more challenging since I've been building a lot of Tamiya models lately. Also this will be my first plane model I've only ever built car and tanks before.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I've mentioned Amazing Figure Modeler here before, and it doesn't affect many people since there are only a couple doing garage kits, but they're having a big sale on their back issues. They've gone to a digital-mag format since there's just no money in small niche print mags anymore, so they're clearing out their stock. 50% off on most back issues. Fun mag, lots of cool models, lots of tips and tricks you can apply to all sorts of kits. Check it out!

https://www.amazingfiguremodeler.com/shop

Some past covers to stoke anyones interest:

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
Built me a 1:72 Boxer. Fiddly but still quite interesting, if only because the construction steps match how the real deal is built. The only issues I had were with the weapon as you're combining some very tiny parts based on somewhat unclear instructions.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Looking to try a 1/48 tank- is there a Tamiya kit that's generally considered to be a very good one with minimal parts? Doing it as a palette cleanse between some larger scale more intricate builds. Or maybe an airplane at that scale, even?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Can anyone recommend a good small cheap-ish airbrushing spraybooth? Looking at something like this one , and just want to make sure if there any brands to avoid or favour.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Looking to try a 1/48 tank- is there a Tamiya kit that's generally considered to be a very good one with minimal parts? Doing it as a palette cleanse between some larger scale more intricate builds. Or maybe an airplane at that scale, even?

Truly any Tamiya kit in that scale that's been produced in the last ten years (airplanes or tanks) will be fine. Use scalemates.com to find out when a kit of interest was molded.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Can anyone recommend a good small cheap-ish airbrushing spraybooth? Looking at something like this one , and just want to make sure if there any brands to avoid or favour.

They're all pretty much the same and the odds are good they all come from the same factory in China somewhere. They work well enough if you're spraying an airbrush vs a rattle can, but always make sure you're using a respirator regardless.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

As Chuck_D said, that style of airbrush booth is pretty much the same from brand to brand. I have one that is 6-7 years old or so and I found out that the plastic it is made of dissolves and gets all gummy when it comes into contact with lacquers. I thin lacquers and clean my airbrush in the booth, so I'm spilling paint and thinner in there all the time. I solved the problem by cutting down a sheet of some sort of polyethylene (HDPE, LDPE, UHMW, etc.) and putting that in there as a base plate. A piece of corrugated cardboard would probably work just as well. I almost never airbrush enamels, but I believe that enamel paints and mineral spirits will not react with the plastic.

It is also possible they are using a different type of plastic now and I am just a cranky old fart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I built a 1/48 Tamiya Sherman recently. The parts count was pretty low and as always with Tamiya it was a high quality kit