Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

They've done this for some historical buildings.

Original

Rebuilt

I think it's a fantastic idea, and prevents every old neighbourhood from turning into modernist cubes.

this is pretty cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
be sure to visit the D&D canada housing thread in which heritage preservation is seen as Bad and Restricts Housing Supply

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Hubbert posted:

be sure to visit the D&D canada housing thread in which heritage preservation is seen as Bad and Restricts Housing Supply

man you are really selling that thread

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Bilirubin posted:

man you are really selling that thread

luxury thread is a slur

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Karach posted:

I would simply escape market forces by moving into co-op housing

lol this was a thing

had a coworker who started in a co-op as a starving artist and kept the same place even after she was making six figs

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Durf posted:

lol this was a thing

had a coworker who started in a co-op as a starving artist and kept the same place even after she was making six figs

They're legit, just really rare. My wife was on the board of a big one here, a huge purpose built facility with a big common room, library, workshop, and gym. We're finally ready to move into it but we've been at the top of the waiting list for more than a year and nothing has become available. Who wants to move out from a place where you just pay a fraction of the operating costs into a housing environment with 8% interest and eye-watering principals?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Suplex Liberace posted:

this is pretty cool

I think it's insanely cool and would be a great way to preserve Canadian architecture and the character of our neighbourhoods and cities.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

cock hero flux posted:

theoretically the point of home ownership is that you own your home and don't have to throw a big chunk of your paycheck into a bottomless pit every month to not be homeless but with how mortgages work now you're basically paying for the privilege of doing your own maintenance

Disagree. As of current housing crisis, the major point of home ownership by a long shot is that as long as you continue paying no one can force you out of your home for 'personal use' or renovictions or any other slumlord bs.
2nd reason is being able to do whatever you want with your home and not being at the whims of the landlord who's sure that the air leakage is fine as you pay $800/month in heating.

Finances are pretty low on the list of reasons to buy a home.

Suplex Liberace posted:

open concept my entire rear end in a top hat

I think open-concept means different things to different people but to me the 'open' idea applies to the trifecta of kitchen/dining/living and then nothing else.
Closing off those rooms from each other makes no sense to me but still need some kind of dividing line I think, not just a completely open zone.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
I'm not sure if either owning or renting is good from a personal finance perspective anymore. Everything is stupidly overpriced but rents are out of control too.

I was evicted for owner's own use a few years ago and my rent went up $500/mo after I moved. If I get evicted today I'm looking at an approx. $750 increase this time.

Having to move sucked but from a finance perspective it was very punishing. If we get evicted again I'm not sure what we'll do.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Cold on a Cob posted:

I'm not sure if either owning or renting is good from a personal finance perspective anymore. Everything is stupidly overpriced but rents are out of control too.

I was evicted for owner's own use a few years ago and my rent went up $500/mo after I moved. If I get evicted today I'm looking at an approx. $750 increase this time.

Having to move sucked but from a finance perspective it was very punishing. If we get evicted again I'm not sure what we'll do.

refuse to leave. not sure if you’re in Ontario but only the landlord and tenant board can evict you.

and that could take months to years.

so no matter what. until the landlord and tenant board tell you to go. you never ever go.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Fidelitious posted:

I think open-concept means different things to different people but to me the 'open' idea applies to the trifecta of kitchen/dining/living and then nothing else.
Closing off those rooms from each other makes no sense to me but still need some kind of dividing line I think, not just a completely open zone.

That is what i was talking about. Every house ive lived in had all of those walled off from each other. The way god intended, walls and doors

funny song about politics
Feb 11, 2002

Suplex Liberace posted:

That is what i was talking about. Every house ive lived in had all of those walled off from each other. The way god intended, walls and doors

I wonder if the open concept trend will eventually die out. I hate the idea of living in a giant studio apartment where the living and cooking spaces are combined. There’s all kinds of noise , grease, and odor that’s better kept contained in the kitchen, but literally every new home built, and most renovations as well, disagree with me on this.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
having a large open social space where you don't all have to decide to pile into one room while someone preps food/snacks/drinks is actually pretty nice.

goons, naturally, have no use for this.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

funny song about politics posted:

I wonder if the open concept trend will eventually die out. I hate the idea of living in a giant studio apartment where the living and cooking spaces are combined. There’s all kinds of noise , grease, and odor that’s better kept contained in the kitchen, but literally every new home built, and most renovations as well, disagree with me on this.

i mean it isn’t an objective truth

room layout aside that grease and odor happens because you have subpar ventilation in the kitchen and should be considered a separate issue from whether you want an open layout.

and open layouts are popular because people often congregate in the kitchen when company is over so it makes sense for many to have fewer restrictions on the space

mediaphage has issued a correction as of 16:31 on Dec 6, 2023

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Fidelitious posted:

Disagree. As of current housing crisis, the major point of home ownership by a long shot is that as long as you continue paying no one can force you out of your home for 'personal use' or renovictions or any other slumlord bs.
2nd reason is being able to do whatever you want with your home and not being at the whims of the landlord who's sure that the air leakage is fine as you pay $800/month in heating.

Finances are pretty low on the list of reasons to buy a home.
there are a number of ways you can be forced out of a home that you are paid up on and theoretically own. Hell there are even a few ways you can be forced out of a home that you have completely paid off and actually literally own.

funny song about politics
Feb 11, 2002

mediaphage posted:

room layout aside that grease and odor happens because you have subpar ventilation in the kitchen and should be considered a separate issue from whether you want an open layout.

and open layouts are popular because people often congregate in the kitchen when company is over so it makes sense for many to have fewer restrictions on the space

Yeah it’s true that this is what the market expects. We live in a 70 year old house with a very old fashioned layout and I can’t keep guests out of the kitchen even though it’s a small, closed off room all the way in the back of the house. Still, I generally enjoy the way it contains the mess and lets me focus on cooking without getting involved with what’s happening in the rest of the house. Different strokes.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

cock hero flux posted:

there are a number of ways you can be forced out of a home that you are paid up on and theoretically own. Hell there are even a few ways you can be forced out of a home that you have completely paid off and actually literally own.

yeah but it's far more likely an occurrence when you rent versus when you have a mortgage.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
I always thought open concept was popular because our homes are constantly growing smaller while increasing in price and it gives the illusion of space?

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
i live in a tiny 700 sq ft house thats closed off in every way possible and its loving great to have separate spaces and privacy

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

drat horror queefs posted:

I always thought open concept was popular because our homes are constantly growing smaller while increasing in price and it gives the illusion of space?

:wrong: it increases serendipitous collaboration

(aka is cheaper)

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
its really for lazy helicopter parents who have to watch their kids 100% of the time

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Me reaping me sowing etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ocQ7W2twCo

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

drat horror queefs posted:

The answer is more stupid than you think!

https://www.vice.com/en/article/5dmbm3/open-concept-plans-popular-hgtv-men-love-sledgehammers

quote:

“I spoke with HGTV executives,” Kaysen said on NPR at the end of 2019. “And the reason that they are so big on open concept is because it gets the male viewers. Like, guys like to watch sledgehammers and, like, taking out walls.” She added that HGTV decision makers feel that straight men won’t sit down with their girlfriends and wives for an hour of tchotkes and bathroom upgrades if they can’t catch a little sledgehammer action along the way. “It’s for TV,” Kaysen said.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
New AG report dropped

Shockingly, it turns out the government lied about the total cost of the Therme spa deal and the whole reason the Science Centre has to move is to fudge the cost of the absurdly large parking garage they want to build under the water table.

Whoever could have guessed?

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Okay nvm now I'm pro open concept

saints gambit
Apr 8, 2004
a donut with no holes is a danish

a primate posted:

They should just cut the sin tax on alcohol, at least in Ontario. Consumption taxes are incredibly regressive and should be done away with.

Ontario craft brewers are having their products priced 90 cents a litre more than they actually cost, pushing consumers to purchase from the lower end of the market (I.e. non-Canadian owned brewers).

Fun fact: Ontario spirits taxes are 61.5%.

Ostensibly the argument goes that these taxes are needed to pay for healthcare costs, but there is no reason why this shouldn’t be offloaded onto income tax.

The thing is, most of the smalltown craft brewers make under 2,000 hL. In fact, there are precious few of the remaining 349 breweries in the province that are between 5,000 hL and 75,000 hL. I can count them on one hand. Legitimately, you could scrap all of the excise paid at the provincial level by those breweries and it'd be something like... 30 million bucks? They contribute that to the economy just in employee income tax payment. If you let them grow a little bit by giving them a tax break, you'd eventually have a lot more excise.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

mediaphage posted:

Even then open concept is fail imo (the correct one). Not a true kitchen party if peopleplaying cards at the table aren't awkwardly forced to sit in the corner between the radiator you can't turn off and the stove you very much intend but never quite get around to cleaning

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Fidelitious posted:

I have this in my apartment, and it rocks, but I once had a student from France walk in for the first time and start laughing. She called it "an American kitchen" :negative:

Bilirubin has issued a correction as of 03:01 on Dec 7, 2023

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

Actually Instagram has started targeting me with GTA realtor influencer content despite being a guy who’s only ever lived in the maritimes so now I think that l*xury condos are Actually Good.

https://twitter.com/friendshalifax/status/1732419020458979342

First they came for a block of fast-food and pizza shops, and I said nothing, for I did not want a Roethlisburger and a Stuffed Poutine from Xtreme.

ElehemEare has issued a correction as of 05:47 on Dec 7, 2023

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i am loving shocked to learn that halifax has buildings taller than three stories

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

ElehemEare posted:

Actually Instagram has started targeting me with GTA realtor influencer content despite being a guy who’s only ever lived in the maritimes so now I think that l*xury condos are Actually Good.

First they came for a block of fast-food and pizza shops, and I said nothing, for I did not want a Roethlisburger and a Stuffed Poutine from Xtreme.

Oh man I almost moved into a really great two bedroom above that Subway like three years ago. It was only 900ish lol. Then I was walking by one day and noticed the development proposal poster on the side and went 'oh, I see'. Anyway it'd be a shame to lose Mary's Place their breakfast is really good

In fact there's quite a few apartments nestled in those buildings and they still generally hover in 1200-1400 range. Gee I wonder if the rents in the new 30 storey glass and steel condo towers will be comparable (lol). The only part of the city getting gentrified harder than Gottingen is Spring Garden but I guess all those Dal students have the (parental) money to afford it

edit: oh poo poo that's also where Jean's is. Losing the best Chinese food in the city so Dexel can build apartments nobody can afford ftmfw, lets end this housing crisis baybee

DaysBefore has issued a correction as of 14:52 on Dec 7, 2023

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

ElehemEare posted:

It takes some real gumption to proclaim that replacing 2 floors of dilapidated housing and fast food joints with 60 stories of housing has no benefit in a housing crisis.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award
I had also read somewhere (I can't remember where though) that open-concept kitchens were all-the-rage back in the mid 2000's, as filming a renovation with wide open spaces is easier than if it is in a tight location. Especially if the filming equipment was big and bulky. So "open concept" renovations were much more likely to be filmed on TV, which also helped to improve thejr desire.

Of course, it's not a new thing... My grandmother's farmhouse - an old home built in the 1800's - is one bug room that juts out of the main house - complete with wood oven connections, outside pantry access, and a door to go out onto the porch for laundy (as well as the stairs to go down to heat the wood stove). The only way into the main house was a small closeable door to keep out the noise that all her kids would make.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

DaysBefore posted:

edit: oh poo poo that's also where Jean's is. Losing the best Chinese food in the city so Dexel can build apartments nobody can afford ftmfw, lets end this housing crisis baybee

making the city objectively shittier to live in and destroying all of its character (I see you Refs and Video Difference…) but also making it more expensive so number go up

Tim Houston is just an avatar of the Nova Scotian “buisness class” best exemplified by that family from Mabou that caused an international incident because they couldn’t smoke on the plane

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Fidelitious posted:

It takes some real gumption to proclaim that replacing 2 floors of dilapidated housing and fast food joints with 60 stories of housing has no benefit in a housing crisis.

when that housing is gonna start at 2000/unit I’m Halifax yes you certainly can. probably fine for the Toronto based computer touchera and untenable even if you work for one of the few major private employers the city has

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
The Halifax shipyards pay ~37$/hr iirc. 2000$ rent is only like half of that.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Oh then I guess it's all solved then. If you get one of the very few jobs at the shipyards you can give half your income to a landlord. Stack those towers up boys!!

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Thanking the Job Creators at Irving for their generosity in these trying times

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
maybe instead of employing half of Canada in the business of selling homes to each other we should employ have of Canada in the business of making cheap or free public housing, idk just spitballing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Isentropy posted:

probably fine for the Toronto based computer touchera

it really isn't