Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

still voting for cat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
Put me down for wife and/or ghost :ghost:

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Deviant posted:

do you have a cat

Do you have plate tectonics

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I drank the Kool aid.
After so much time building a corexy machine that can handle engineering filament (and running my mk3s) I... Ordered a P1S and AMS. If it's as good as it seems, the Prusa is going away and being replaced with a second P1S, too.

And I'm selling the corexy project, probably as parts. It was fun, but I'm really tired of 3d printers being the hobby. The Prusa mostly Just Worked but only mostly. Tired of that, too.

Even ordered Bambu filament with their silly RFID tags. I'll probably keep doing that too, the price is great with the subscription. Feels like I betrayed open source completely but I'm ready for it.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Well, it all boils down to whether your hobby is 3D printing or 3D printers, as somebody pointed out ITT.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Posted over in the tabletop thread too but my hobby today is apparently printers, because my resin printer is making a rectangle on the FEP instead of cones of calibration.

Re-level and more bottom layer exposure, maybe.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
My Voron of theseus seems to indicate my hobby is 3d printers. But by golly I want it to be 3d printing.

Also building a 120C chamber temp beast (no more than 220mm^2 I think) when I can.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
The AMS for my P1P just got here! I'm looking forward to setting it up after work.

I'm probably not going to do much multi-color printing, but I can load it up with the colors I use most often to make it less of a pain to crank out some easy stuff.

I might put this roll of gray PETG in there too. The idea is to use it as a support interface layer, but I guess PETG has some applications that are not coming to mind right now?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

WhiteHowler posted:

The AMS for my P1P just got here! I'm looking forward to setting it up after work.

I'm probably not going to do much multi-color printing, but I can load it up with the colors I use most often to make it less of a pain to crank out some easy stuff.

I might put this roll of gray PETG in there too. The idea is to use it as a support interface layer, but I guess PETG has some applications that are not coming to mind right now?

PETG is a good outdoor filament. Not brittle like PLA and still printable without an enclosure.

I mostly just print ASA now, since the P1S makes it easy.

For my AMS I usually have it as: 2 rolls of main filament, 1 roll of color, 1 roll of support or another color.

Currently that is 2 rolls of ASA black, clear PETG, and HIPS. Clear petg bonds well with ASA.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

Deviant posted:

Posted over in the tabletop thread too but my hobby today is apparently printers, because my resin printer is making a rectangle on the FEP instead of cones of calibration.

Re-level and more bottom layer exposure, maybe.

After you start getting successful prints, drain and filter your vat after every test. I didn't, I just cleaned the vat after every test and one of the cones got left behind, ripping a hole through my fep and ruining an overnight print of a big rear end Warhammer figurine.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

After you start getting successful prints, drain and filter your vat after every test. I didn't, I just cleaned the vat after every test and one of the cones got left behind, ripping a hole through my fep and ruining an overnight print of a big rear end Warhammer figurine.

And that's not even as bad as it *could* get. A big enough chunk left behind and you'll hear a really gnarly crunching sound the instant your build plate goes to expose the first layer, then find out how fun the process is to replace your screen.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

I'm back to doing a basic R_E_R_F just to get a baseline because this thing is being difficult.

That said, I've got a pretty solid looking RERF at probably about...1.5?

2 @ 1.2s looks a skosh underexposed, and 3 @ 1.6 (the 3 and 4 time labels are mixed up in the original file) looks a bit over

Siraya themselves recommends 2s on this particular resin/machine combo, but that looks a little high. (Plate 4)

Deviant fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Dec 5, 2023

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

WhiteHowler posted:

I've had awful luck trying to print something tall with this Overture Silk PLA gold. Compared to other PLA and PLA+ I've used, it seems to have fairly poor bed adhesion (even when printing shorter things).

i just accidentally posted the in a different 3d print thread instead of here; tldr: i also suck at printing silk pla.

god i hate silk pla, why was i tempted by black friday sales

i have Dremel 3D45, not perfect but pretty solid. the main complaints:

1. it overrides gcode temp/fan settings to whatever you set on the machine, so you can't do different temps per layer, and you have to set the filament temp on the printer.
2. it was built for their proprietary filament spools, so while you can use any filament, they don't fit in the filament compartment and you have to 3d print a solution and/or get an external spool holder.

It effortlessly prints abs, normal pla, petg, tpu, even nylon.

I am having the damndest time getting silk pla to work, mainly because it is so soft the filament driving gears (name?) grind it if there is ANY resistance. i have some bowden tube that goes through a 3dprinted filament door replacement and winds through the intended path, not perfect, but works every other time. For silk pla i have resorted to keeping the top open, putting my external spool holder/dryer on a box, and feeding it right to the print head. Even with this, my last print was going fine and then stopped extruding with 5 % left to go, so now I am also manually unspooling 5 loops every 30 minutes on try 2. (very small prints taking 2 hours or less have worked fine).

I have also increased the extruder temp 15 degrees and am cursing constantly, which seems to help.

any other tips? i have 3 different brands of silk pla because i am a moron; overture and two rando amazon sellers, and they each have issues, although the overture seems the best quality. I searched the thread and found the temperature advice and "silk pla can be a pain to print with", so i'm hoping one of you has discovered 1 cool tip to save my sanity.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

The Aphasian posted:

1. it overrides gcode temp/fan settings to whatever you set on the machine, so you can't do different temps per layer, and you have to set the filament temp on the printer.
2. it was built for their proprietary filament spools, so while you can use any filament, they don't fit in the filament compartment and you have to 3d print a solution and/or get an external spool holder.

OMG this is it, this is the Cricut machine I speculated about! Do the filament spools have some sort of passive electronics on them to identify their temperature to the machine, or is that maybe the 2025 model?

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

cruft posted:

OMG this is it, this is the Cricut machine I speculated about! Do the filament spools have some sort of passive electronics on them to identify their temperature to the machine, or is that maybe the 2025 model?

mine is 4/5 (?) years old now. per my fuzzy memory, the filament spools have RFID tags that automatically set the temp/fan settings to ideal. I bought dremel-branded spools when i purchased it, but never again. I was going to keep them to rewind new filament onto them to get the benefits of a spool that fits and autosettings, but i didn't and now it's years later.

Everytime I load a spool i don't use the "change filament" menu option, because it inevitablly spends 60 seconds searching for an RFID, fails, and then warns me i will break my machine by doing things Dremel doesn't approve of. Instead I use a "tools" menu that lets you preheat the bed and/or extruder and "purge" filament once it gets to temp. I just change the temp/fan settings manually in a different menu if i'm changing material.

I should point out the extruder assembly is very annoying to work on, and needs to be basically completely disassembled to do anything. Dremel has shifted support to some third party (3pitech.com) and doesn't seem to be selling spare (often proprietary) parts anymore, so once it kicks I'll probably buy a more upgrade/maintenance friendly model. It is fairly bulletproof most of the time (except silk pla); I got it on sale when enclosed printers were less common, at least at my price point that I was aware of, and the autoleveling and some other "beginner" features made me more comfortable dipping my toes into a new hobby.

The Aphasian fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Dec 5, 2023

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Argh, the settings that _were_ sticking on my calibration tests now are not. This is an old bottle, does resin go bad?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Deviant posted:

Argh, the settings that _were_ sticking on my calibration tests now are not. This is an old bottle, does resin go bad?

Resin absolutely goes bad, but beyond shelf life, I don't know what the timeframe is.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Bondematt posted:

Resin absolutely goes bad, but beyond shelf life, I don't know what the timeframe is.

This bottle was apparently purchased about...a year ago, almost to the day. And I'm getting wildly inconsistent results with it. So I'm thinking it may be off.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Dec 6, 2023

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Finally got a quote for the Prusa Pro HT90, and it is €9900 without VAT — a pretty substantial price increase over the $7800 Trilabs Azteq.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Just wanted to do a quick plug for my thread on 2D plotting:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4048607

You can convert your 3D printer to do plotting with a 3D printed part or two.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

:toot:

I had to up the exposure to 2.5, presumably because it's old resin. Got a new bottle coming to try at the 'suggested' values.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

WhiteHowler posted:

Petg works better for higher temp stuff/areas like I printed the little front ramp for the P1S out of petg

Also this is my favorite use of the ams. I do. A bunch of multicolor, but it's great to just pick a slot and print something without having to dick around changing the filament.

mrbass21
Feb 1, 2009

tater_salad posted:

Petg works better for higher temp stuff/areas like I printed the little front ramp for the P1S out of petg

Also this is my favorite use of the ams. I do. A bunch of multicolor, but it's great to just pick a slot and print something without having to dick around changing the filament.

I want to load all 4 slots with the same filament, scale the XYZ calibration cube to the maximum build volume, and print with 100% infill.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Someone has an STL for it... It's 13kg so you'll need to swap out some empties along the way.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

mrbass21 posted:

I want to load all 4 slots with the same filament, scale the XYZ calibration cube to the maximum build volume, and print with 100% infill.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

tater_salad posted:

Someone has an STL for it... It's 13kg so you'll need to swap out some empties along the way.

Are you talking about an STL for a gigantic cube?

Couldn't you just start with a small cube and scale it up?

I'm confused.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Had some unique items i wanted to try my hand on etsy with. My personal etsy account has been in place since 2015.

Did the set up shop thing, made a initial listing, verified my account, added my initial card (and have the pending .20 charge). And BAM. my site is suspended right out of the gate. I get an email asking me to verify my site info via google forms. The page there says that new shop openings have been suspended for my country. Huh?

File an appeal, and most questions are asking you basically "Do you promise to do better next time?" and "How will you change next time?" My responses consisted of "I literally had a shop for a nanosecond and was suspended. I could not have violated anything if i was never actually online"

Appeal: Denied in < 1 min.
Reason: Esty does not allow members in India to open new shops. All India based shops paused.
Btw. Decision is final. No way to appeal again. So let it be written, so let it be done.

I am in good old Pennsylvania, USA by the way. As listed in all my submitted forms and addresses.

Etsy is horribly broken. I take this as a sign

edit: i also can't delete my shop, or my account unless i pay that .20 as well. That is a hill i will die on

Roundboy fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Dec 6, 2023

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Roundboy posted:

Had some unique items i wanted to try my hand on etsy with. My personal etsy account has been in place since 2015.

Did the set up shop thing, made a initial listing, verified my account, added my initial card (and have the pending .20 charge). And BAM. my site is suspended right out of the gate. I get an email asking me to verify my site info via google forms. The page there says that new shop openings have been suspended for my country. Huh?

File an appeal, and most questions are asking you basically "Do you promise to do better next time?" and "How will you change next time?" My responses consisted of "I literally had a shop for a nanosecond and was suspended. I could not have violated anything if i was never actually online"

Appeal: Denied in < 1 min.
Reason: Esty does not allow members in India to open new shops. All India based shops paused.
Btw. Decision is final. No way to appeal again. So let it be written, so let it be done.

I am in good old Pennsylvania, USA by the way. As listed in all my submitted forms and addresses.

Etsy is horribly broken. I take this as a sign

edit: i also can't delete my shop, or my account unless i pay that .20 as well. That is a hill i will die on

I mean the question really is what are you connecting to Etsy through to make them think you're in India?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I mean the question really is what are you connecting to Etsy through to make them think you're in India?

Chrome, via my internet on Verizon in PA?

double checked by a 'what is my ip' page. its just making me pissy

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Roundboy posted:

That is a hill i will die on

given this,

https://www.bbb.org/us/ny/brooklyn/profile/online-retailer/etsy-inc-0121-104233 imo, and if that fails to connect you with a human being smart enough to read and understand the problem, https://forms.dos.ny.gov/consumerprotection/form/ComplaintForm1.asp

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Sounds frustrating.

Might be worth trying to connect to a human via phone even if it takes a while. Some problems just fall through the cracks.

I had something similar with eBay once. Total bs thing that went away in ten seconds after I talked to someone. Etsy isn't eBay but it's probably worth a shot.

Another option is look up their dispute resolution stuff in the ToS. There might be something in there you can use.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Not sure if this is a stupid idea, but has anyone here worked with a textured flex plate on a resin printer before? I feel like it might replicate the same sort of textured surface the newer printers have on their bed, but maybe the texture is too intense to work at lower layer heights.

I have some spare flex plates around that Im looking at "texturing" with a laser engraver. Put some of my logos etc on it so I can brand small bases and whatnot that I print flat on the base.

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR
Printed out this case shell, only a 5ish hour print but got all these dots on the walls.

Moisture issue? The spool has been in my AMS the whole time. Overtemp from closed doors? I figured it wasn’t too long of a print so I left them closed. It’s BambuLabs matte PLA.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Gross, people posting pics of their STLTDs uncensored

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

cruft posted:

Are you talking about an STL for a gigantic cube?

Couldn't you just start with a small cube and scale it up?

I'm confused.

I think it's a 3mf.thst has a cutout for the exclusion One etc. either way it's 13kg and like 10 days to solidly fill your bbu build volume.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Opioid posted:

Printed out this case shell, only a 5ish hour print but got all these dots on the walls.

Moisture issue? The spool has been in my AMS the whole time. Overtemp from closed doors? I figured it wasn’t too long of a print so I left them closed. It’s BambuLabs matte PLA.

Z-seam? Do those line up with the seam in the slicer?

Otherwise I’ve only encountered that from issues you wouldn’t have on a bambu (e.g. pauses from saturating the octoprint-printer serial bus)

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR

Arcsech posted:

Z-seam? Do those line up with the seam in the slicer?

Otherwise I’ve only encountered that from issues you wouldn’t have on a bambu (e.g. pauses from saturating the octoprint-printer serial bus)

Ah yeah it does look like they line up with seams…

How do I improve that?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
E3D nozzles for P1 are official. https://e3d-online.com/products/hf-obx-bambu

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Madre DIOS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Not as cheap as I was hoping, but still less than they could probably get for them.