Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

A lot of soldiers IRL are teenagers. It’s kinda hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gripweed posted:

A lot of soldiers IRL are teenagers. It’s kinda hosed up.

True, but not all of them. Are there any 86'ers older than 20 besides Aldrecht.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Arc Hammer posted:

So I gave 86 a three episode try. I think I'll see it through. Initial thoughts:

- Top notch sound design. If I had to describe it it would be like a cross between an explosion and glass shattering. Very crisp and punchy.

- Music is Sawano doing Sawano, for better or worse. This show is not subtle but unfortunately I think that his music pushes things a bit too far into melodrama at times. Lay off the piano, dude, let Theoto yell it's enough on its own to get the point across.

- I like the back and forth between Lena's predator drone operator booth and the hands-on battle depictions among the 86 themselves. A good visual metaphor for the distance between Albans and the carnage outside the walls.

- I felt that episode 3 was kind of the weakest of the trio so far but still watchable. I get that the scenes are meant to juxtapose quiet moments of humanity against the realities of combat but they're rather predictable and I'm getting some IBO flashbacks of people giving a heartfelt speech indicating they're about to die in the next few minutes or next episode. Also the show is laying Kurina's crush on Shin pretty thick which makes me think she's not gonna survive the series because that's just a tragedy being set up early.

- Is there a good in-show reason why the soldiers are all teenagers or am I going with the "it's anime roll with it" hand wave? Kurina mentions her parents will killed by Albans and it's not like fascists don't do incredibly stupid things that handicap their longterm goals (like murdering members of your slave workforce) but I'm wondering if I'll see noncombatant 86'ers or elderly living outside of the Nazi ethnostate walls.

- Speaking of idiotic commanders, the Albans strategy vs the Legion is ripped straight from Zapp Brannigan:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDWcg8dh930

If I had to describe the writing I'd say that it's functional and it works to get the point across, but apart from that I kinda wish it had some more flair to it. Oftentimes it feels less like the characters are talking among themselves and more like the show is describing concepts to the audience. I get why it's there because not every teenager watching the show or reading the books is going to be aware of the way military communication works but I feel that with some more care the dialogue could get the point across without feeling like it's describing baby's first flanking manoeuvre.
They're teens because the Republic is burning through 86 conscripts like there's a fire sale on matches. There are plenty of 86 adults out there, but it's implied they're either unfit for service or needed in a support role.

I will say that the back half of the first season is where it greatly improves; Lena starts a little limp, and the first half has such a high casualty rate that it's hard to get invested in anyone. I think the first season stands really well on it's own, and the second season ( a little like IBO ) undoes some of the goodwill of the first. Both are a lot of fun though!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, the important thing is that San Magnolia thinks it's largely safe-ish from the Legion, so it's using the war as an excuse for genocide even if that means compromising itself on a tactical and strategic level - and unfortunately for them, this means they're insulated from any frontline intelligence that might warn them that they're way less safe than they think.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

They're kids because all the fit for military service adults are dead man

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Only three episodes in, mind you. The show hasn't said much about the age demographic spread for the 86 in that time outside of Spearhead's roster, hence my asking.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Pretty sure all that was supposed to be revealed by episode six.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

CG really earns it's place in the mecha pantheon, it continues to surprise me with how well established and coherent it is, something that is sometimes lacking from even good anime.

Lelouch is obviously a tactical genius but he gets outplayed from his arrogance over and over. Cornelia realizes that he will try the same tact again and almost mercs him. In their second encounter though he manages a massive coup by splitting her from the rest of her forces while also inflicting massive casualties to her forces for no risk to his own meager force, which is good because the work doesn't shy away from how weak the BK actually are at this point; Kallen is his only good pilot in his only good frame, having the Burais is great, but his crew is terrible.

Despite everything the whole operation nearly goes sideways, his forces aren't capable of pining down Cornelia's guard long enough for Kallen to capture Cornelia and they nearly have to flee, luckily Todou and his gang shows up to help pin them down and co-ordinate with the JLF to bring them into play more coherently. This lucky break nearly gives Lelouch a massive win until Suzaku manages to turn the table on him once again with pure force. C.C. bails him out again.

All in all the series has managed to do something very difficult in threading the needle between showing Lelouch as hyper-competent to a fault and making his victories feel unearned and uninteresting and making him a paper genius who can only snatch victory in the writer's room.

For how close run it ends up being tactically, it's a massive coup for the BK's strategically. Cornelia had already weakened the other resistance groups significantly and now the big boy on the block is down, but their suits, their best pilots, and their main strategist all manage to survive and are forced to work with Lelouch. In one battle Lelouch has humiliated Cornelia again, wiped out a significant portion of her troops, doubled his KF number and gained multiple pilots that are only second to Kallen in skill, as well as gained himself the full favor of the Kyoto connection. For their first actual battle the BK's pulled off a win worthy of Bonaparte, but like Napoleon's greatest feats lucks favor was blowing on them.

And of course Lelouch pays for his win emotionally with Shirley's Dad's death and Suzaku with being confronted by his own patricide that led to the complete submission of his people. Great writing for a two-three episode run

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Sometimes I consider going back tobwarch Code Geass again but I never get around to it. I feel like my brain has mostly rounded things down to what I remember liking vs a lot of the silly stuff that pulled me out of the show.

Now if they made an entire spinoff based around Lloyd being the most fabulous mad scientist in all of Britannia I'd watch the hell out of that.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The first dozen or so episodes of CG are remarkably solid, but while I don't think the (first season) ever got outright bad it did lose me towards the end precisely because it seemed to give up on, as Gaius put it, threading the needle. Lelouch (whoopsy-daisy!) instigating a genocide only to save the day but tripping into a cool flying KF with particle cannons felt like an entirely different show than the one where Lelouch built momentum for his forces by continually eeking out small victories.

And tbh I still respect the latter half for having the guts to go all-in on audaciousness. I just wasn't as personally interested in it as I was the earlier stuff.

Flying robots were a mistake.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Oh that's right this thread exists. I should use it to plug my poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjPyD-juD38

I nerd out about the children-blowing-up cartoon for 90 minutes.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Roller blades and grappling hooks > flying robots and laser guns.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

lelouch, the anime super genius who has spent most of the show demonstrating his ridiculous intellect, tripping over his own feet at the very last moment right before the show gets a Good End and ruining everything (only to have it appear to be heavily in his favor from external optics) was one of the best moments in anime history. hilarious, tragic, a horrifically emotional situation for all persons involved, i want more of that injected straight into my veins

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

ninjewtsu posted:

lelouch, the anime super genius who has spent most of the show demonstrating his ridiculous intellect, tripping over his own feet at the very last moment right before the show gets a Good End and ruining everything (only to have it appear to be heavily in his favor from external optics) was one of the best moments in anime history. hilarious, tragic, a horrifically emotional situation for all persons involved, i want more of that injected straight into my veins
S1 was a real masterpiece. S2 is fun. That’s my CG opinion

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Arc Hammer posted:

Roller blades and grappling hooks > flying robots and laser guns.

truth

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
The laser prism of shooting everyone at once was stupid and rad, I liked that.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

CG taken as a whole, is a massive waste of time I wish I had back. Liked the first season way back cuz I like stories about big fat liars building up a pyramid of lies beneath them only to come crashing down around them in the most comically destructive way possible. But I never need to see it again.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Nessus posted:

S1 was a real masterpiece. S2 is fun. That’s my CG opinion

this is mine too, except i'd add the * that the middle of s2 kinda blows

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Code Geass is fun. Shame about the like, newer movies and poo poo where it keeps going after the ending and feels like they just copied someone's fanfiction theory for what comes next.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Squidster posted:

They're teens because the Republic is burning through 86 conscripts like there's a fire sale on matches. There are plenty of 86 adults out there, but it's implied they're either unfit for service or needed in a support role.

I will say that the back half of the first season is where it greatly improves; Lena starts a little limp, and the first half has such a high casualty rate that it's hard to get invested in anyone. I think the first season stands really well on it's own, and the second season ( a little like IBO ) undoes some of the goodwill of the first. Both are a lot of fun though!

The second season has a bit of a slump in the middle, but the final two episodes are excellent. Really creative directing.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Going to recommend that people track down Akito the Exiled. It's the one CG spinoff that managed to get an anime. It's very much early CG everything is on the ground mecha combat madness.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Finished episode 6 of 86.

The Alba are way past ignorant, they're downright suicidal if they think that they can continue offsetting the casualties onto the 86 after systematically grinding a presumably vast population down to a handful of adults and remaining child conscripts in under ten years. Is the rest of Europe just completely dead from the robot war or are there other nations besides the Republic still active and just looking at them going full on isolationist wondering what the gently caress happened? I get that they're fascist morons but I'm honestly amazed that they've lasted as long as they have under the current status quo. They're just bad at war, period. At least some of them are aware of it, like Jerome straight up calling Vaslav an idiot for flying out to the battlefield with his daughter so she can see what war is like while still assuming his privilege as an ubermensch somehow makes him immune to impalement by robot spider.

It's the kind of batshit insane society that invents a technological wonder of linking human brainwaves for military communication but has no concept of aerial reconnaissance and maps are just locked up in an old storage room. Spend millions to build a better radio that also has the wonderful side effect of giving its users PTSD shocks straight to the brain. Have artillery mortars that could help out but they haven't been used in years, look good on camera and your justification for not using them is because you've self-sabotaged by building a minefield at the point where they could be moved into effective range. The madness of the Alba is "THE POINT" in big flashing neon letters but it doesn't stop them being any less baffling to witness in motion. They just want to die and I for one welcome our new robot overlords.

There's something depressingly funny about Lena listening to Shin tell her about how generations have been wiped out, the Legion is harvesting brains to evolve and the killbot timer isn't working only for her to tell him that they can promise to win the war before his term of service is up. Idealistic to a fault thinking that the truth about the hellwar being endless is compatible with 86ers regaining citizenship after their tour of duty is meant to end.

I've been watching the dub and it's quite good. I miss Billy Kametz.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i don't want to get too much into potential spoilers (don't recall offhand what's been directly stated or not) but i think san magnolia's actions pretty well all make a lot of sense, given what they believe and what they are truly trying to accomplish. there's a bit more going on than "fascism is inherently incompetent" though that's certainly an important element of it. if you are viewing things from lena's perspective it is indeed very absurd what they're doing.

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Dec 7, 2023

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

ok actually the mortars being located in the middle of a minefield is really dumb no matter how you look at it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

ok actually the mortars being located in the middle of a minefield is really dumb no matter how you look at it.

It's not about keeping the mortars useful. It's about keeping the 86 from getting their hands on a way to strike back at San Magnolia.

It all hangs together once you get the full picture... it's just not a pretty picture.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
When you live in a Spartan city state terrified of your helots, I guess.

I said this the other day but Sawano is doing Sawano with the music and I honestly don't think it's a good fit for the show. I like Hiroyuki Sawano just fine but my common issue with his music is that he tends to bury his melodies under heavy orchestration and it turns to noise as fifteen different harmonies compete for the spotlight. That hasn't happened as much here in 86 but a different issue arises where his piano solos become overbearing. A dramatic scene or a quiet moment will be punctuated by a someone punching a keyboard to remind you of what emotion you should be feeling and it really really wants you to notice.

I do like the two EDs that they alternate between, but I don't think the soundtrack mixes that well with the story being told. It's no Unicorn soundtrack, that's for sure, but that's like comparing a masterpiece opera against a jam session.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Dec 7, 2023

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

there's another composer for the 86 soundtrack, Kohta Yamamoto. i think kohta did most of the background music while sawano did the vocal/bombastic setpiece tracks but i have nothing to back that up other than not thinking a lot of the ost quite sounds like sawano's work.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Is there any place to stream Xabungle with english subs? HIDIVE used to have it but doesn't seem to?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

wdarkk posted:

Is there any place to stream Xabungle with english subs? HIDIVE used to have it but doesn't seem to?

Think you'll have to engage in piracy nowadays

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

Think you'll have to engage in piracy nowadays

Lol gently caress 195.99 for the Bluray. STANDARD DEF BLURAY.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
American mecha fans, tickets are now live for showings of the Gurren Lagan movies in January via Fathom, including English dubs for the first time ever.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Remember to support your local theatres

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

are the gurren lagan movies good?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

ninjewtsu posted:

Very good. It's been a while since I've watched them but I didn't feel like I was just watching the TV all over again. Especially with movie 2.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

About the only major weakness they have is that they really should have been three movies instead of just two, this results in some awkward abridging being done in both movies

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ninjewtsu posted:

The first movie is IMO kind of rough because due to time constraints they have to basically skip through the entire meat of the first half of the show to get to the big climax parts. Simon's entire journey with Kamina on the surface and all the people they meet is basically compressed into a couple of minutes of montage/flashback. The reworked climax parts are absolutely extremely good and 100% worth seeing, though; it just absolutely doesn't stand on its own and instead works best as a companion piece to the TV show.

The second movie is, IMO, a much better version of the second half of the show. The second half of the TV show spends a lot of time wallowing in fluff drama that could really be compressed(multiple episodes of simon in prison/why is rossiu being a dick) and incredibly time-wasting fights against stupid faceless enemies, which the movie almost entirely excises in favor of a much more concise approach to get to the same place that hits almost all of the same emotional beats and gives most of the cast a much more meaningful role in what happens. Unlike the first movie, I think it can serve as an effective replacement for what it's covering.

But yes, they're both very good if you understand their specific limitations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

If I remember right the break point is also frustrating, it ends with Simon and company approaching to attack Teppelin but stops before the battle begins.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I didn't like the way the movies changed up the finale. Saying "It felt excessive" about Gurren Lagann is kind of an asinine point I guess, but to me at least; it kind of crosses a threshold where it stops being funny and just kind of becomes dull. Also it feels like it adds in more Kamina worship which feels kind of weird given that like, half of the series was pretty explicit about not doing that.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
:lol: that's kind of my complaint about the original, tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

On the other hand the second movie rightfully ditches what the show did with killing off most of Team Dai-Gurren on the approach to the Anti-Spiral as that always made things a bit too dour and also undermined both Kittan's sacrifice and even Nia's death to an extent as being important