Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
drat i feel blessed right now having watched Shin Godzilla in the theater. These movies belong on the big screen for sure.

Except for the 3d version of Godzilla 2014. Holy poo poo you couldn’t see ANYTHING it was dark as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Man, a modern Hedorah could look so cool and terrifying if they really went for it. Legendary’s gone too silly for it to work, but I continue to dream.

Shin Hedorah

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 8 days!)

what time period is Shin Godzilla set in

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
The mid 2010's

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

flashy_mcflash posted:

Are the bouncy seats distracting? I don't really go for 4DX for that reason but would consider it if the sound is even better than the IMAX.

The sound was really good. The bouncy seats I think add to a movie experience. It'll bounce you around enough that you're hanging on to the arm rests but not so much that you really want a seatbelt. That adds a level of physical anxiety to the experience of watching a big stompy lizard coming right at you. They used them to great effect in the flying scenes, they added a lot of very swoopy sensations. When flying debris just misses the character on-screen, you feel the air disturbed by what just flew past "you". And if the boat is almost swamped, you better believe you're getting sprayed in the face. The glasses they give you aren't 3D, they're safety glasses.

The theater I was in did a great job of introducing the effects to the audience. During the long, tedious ads, the seats would shake a bit kind of randomly just to remind you that that's a thing. Then the Aquaman trailer came on and it was off to the rodeo. They used all the effects in that, and very well. So when it's time for the feature, you're used to the effects.

I'd have enjoyed the movie just fine without the 4DX stuff, but I think it helped.

Bip Roberts posted:

The 90s ones are fine but every movie is handicapped by the fact that the kaiju fights are a turtle spinning like a top the whole time.

I have really good news about the animated Gamera series on Netflix. Gamera fights like you'd expect a snapping turtle to, mean, dirty, and bitey.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

GateOfD posted:

Any watched the actual stand-alone movies with just Rodan or Mothra origin movies

I like the old Rodan movie it's got really interesting direction

Seconding what others have said I love vs hedorah

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

G v Hedorah is my #4 favorite Godzilla movie because even though Godzilla is definitely in his 'Good Guy' phase, Hedorah is a loving terrifying creature.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Now that I've reflected on -1 a bit more, my favorite scene is the minesweeper bit with Godzilla chasing. As an audience, we're unsure of Big G's capabilities at this point. All we know is that he's huge and pissed off, but kind of slow.

Over the course of this sequence, it's revealed the 15mm is completely ineffective. This seems fairly obvious but now it's proven. Next, the mines get dropped on G. The superficial, remote-detonated one does absolutely nothing, though the characters pause momentarily because they can't see through the smoke. "Did we get him?" the characters ask. As an audience, we're certain it didn't, but the pause is just long enough to think about it for a second. After all, that was a decent explosion. Then there's the mine in the mouth. There's good tension, good build up, and the hero uses that marksmen aim that was established earlier. Boom. Godzilla's side of his head is blown clean off. The audience believes for a second "Holy poo poo, they actually hurt him! They might have a chance!" and after that brief hope note, G's face instantly heals. "Holy poo poo, they don't have a chance in hell" is the immediate reaction. As the crew embrace their imminent demise, a heavy cruiser suddenly broadsides the monster. It was a clean shot and Godzilla goes down. Again, the audience is thinking "now that was a proper attack and G looked hurt." But, Godzilla roars out of the waves and begins viciously mauling the cruiser. As he's tearing it apart, you see two of the turrets slowly traverse toward the gut of Godzilla and you realize this is going to be a point blank shot from truly huge guns. Boom. Godzilla slumps off the wrecked ship and into the waves. But, the audience is savvy now: there's no way G is down for the count. The ocean glows blue, the characters on the minesweeper react as we do, "What's that...?" Boom. Complete and utter obliteration of one of humanity's strongest weapons, but not only that, we also see that Godzilla is learning. He's not going to wrestle battleships with his claws anymore. He's going to nuke them from orbit. (It's the only way to be sure.) "Holy poo poo, we're completely hosed." the audience rightfully concludes.

It's a great "show-don't-tell" moment in the film that utilizes everything it has taught us about the characters and Godzilla, but then goes further to establish the threat level. Of course, not to be outdone, Big G's goes on to make the previous scene look like a warm-up. Which it was! I think it was just a great layering of how the stakes keep getting higher and higher.

FooF fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Dec 6, 2023

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

FooF posted:

Now that I've reflected on -1 a bit more, my favorite scene is the minesweeper bit with Godzilla chasing. As an audience, we're unsure of Big G's capabilities at this point. All we know is that he's huge and pissed off, but kind of slow.

This really was a great sequence

Congratulations guys, you managed to scratch the face of God. Now here's the reward that's earned by Man's hubris :krakken:

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I hadn't realized Minus One was getting such a limited release - the poster at my local theater said "Coming Dec 1st" and its last day is Thursday - so I scrambled and saw it in IMAX tonight.

Absolutely spectacular film, probably my favorite Godzilla film overall.

I think I agree with FooF - the minesweeper scene is probably one of the best. Although the scene in Ginza was amazing for a completely different reason.

One thing I will say is re: the ending - I actually felt all warm and fuzzy at the ending when its revealed that Noriko was alive, but at the same time I almost feel like it cheapened the drama of him (supposedly) choosing to Kamikaze the fighter at the end. But honestly gently caress literary style criticism, dude earned his happy ending.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I liked the ending because his war was finally over and he was able to get what he wanted

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

CelticPredator posted:

I liked the ending because his war was finally over and he was able to get what he wanted

Exactly. I'm just thinking of how in most cases revealing "oh, [CHARACTER] actually survived!" usually cheapens the impact of their death after the fact, so that trope is commonly criticized.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The absolute worst version of it was(spoilers for an old movie but mostly done to obscure the spoilers for this one) War of the Worlds, and that’s a film I actually really love. But man nothing about the son coming back is earned at all and it just feels cheap.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

FooF posted:

Over course of this sequence, it's revealed the 15mm is completely ineffective. This seems fairly obvious but now it's proven. Next, the mines get dropped on G. The superficial, remote-detonated one does absolutely nothing, though the characters pause momentarily because they can't see through the smoke. "Did we get him?" the characters ask. As an audience, we're certain it didn't, but the pause is just long enough to think about it for a second. After all, that was a decent explosion. Then there's the mine in the mouth. There's good tension, good build up, and the hero uses that marksmen aim that was established earlier. Boom. Godzilla's side of his head is blown clean off. The audience believes for a second "Holy poo poo, they actually hurt him! They might have a chance!" and after that brief hope note, G's face instantly heals. "Holy poo poo, they don't have a chance in hell" is the immediate reaction. As the crew embrace their imminent demise, a heavy cruiser suddenly broadsides the monster. It was a clean shot and Godzilla goes down. Again, the audience is thinking "now that was a proper attack and G looked hurt." But, Godzilla roars out of the waves and begins viciously mauling the cruiser. As he's tearing it apart, you see two of the turrets slowly traverse toward the gut of Godzilla and you realize this is going to be a point blank shot from truly huge guns. Boom. Godzilla slumps off the wrecked ship and into the waves. But, the audience is savvy now: there's no way G is down for the count. The ocean glows blue, the characters on the minesweeper react as we do, "What's that...?" Boom. Complete and utter obliteration of one of humanity's strongest weapons, but not only that, we also see that Godzilla is learning. He's not going to wrestle battleships with his claws anymore. He's going to nuke them from orbit. (It's the only way to be sure.) "Holy poo poo, we're completely hosed." the audience rightfully concludes.

It's a great "show-don't-tell" moment in the film that utilizes everything it has taught us about the characters and Godzilla, but then goes further to establish the threat level. Of course, not to be outdone, Big G's goes on to make the previous scene look like a warm-up. Which it was! I think it was just a great layering of how the stakes keep getting higher and higher.
Great writeup of the best scene in the movie.

I had a lot of concerns 2/3rds of the way in that the theme seemed to be this guys cowardice was bringing a curse upon him , his loved ones and his nation. Glad it swung away from that.

My only quibble was the extra happy ending, but hell, he deserved it

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Annath posted:

One thing I will say is re: the ending - I actually felt all warm and fuzzy at the ending when its revealed that Noriko was alive, but at the same time I almost feel like it cheapened the drama of him (supposedly) choosing to Kamikaze the fighter at the end. But honestly gently caress literary style criticism, dude earned his happy ending.

For me, its the opposite
it gives value because he was awarded for choosing to live.
Him choosing to kamikaze the plane gives him the satisfaction that he fulfilled his duty and proved his resolve. Him choosing to live with him physically pulling the ejection seat is a conscious decision to move forward

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I saw Minus One in 4DX on Friday and liked it so much I saw it again tonight in IMAX. Hard to say which I preferred--the sound was comparable and the visual effects deserved the bigger screen. The 4DX effects were mostly distracting, with the worst offender being the Shinden's guns accompanied by blasts of air right by my ears, but I will say that Ginza made the entire experience. People were SCREAMING as the seats jerked and wrenched around, the movement was almost violent. A few people walked out after. The movement on my row of seats actually gave out right before the atomic breath. I guess they overheated, because they were functioning fine a couple scenes later. Losing that punch rankled a bit in the moment, but in retrospect maybe saved me some physical grief.

I really appreciated the script more the second time. Very well paced, with the second half sagging ever so slightly. Everything is so well set up and paid off. FooF captured it, the care and precision in what the film shows and how it brings the audience along. Even the "telling" parts, namely Doc explaining his plan, was all sensical, easy to follow for all its phases and moving parts, and ultimately buoyed by the human element--the friendship that's formed between the 4 shipmates, how these war-weary people must each decide how and if they can fight again. Hell, that becomes one of my favorite scenes in its second half.

Easily, instantly one of the best Godzilla movies ever. I think I personally prefer Shin Godzilla ever so slightly for its weirdness and awe-inspiring spectacle of destruction, but it won't be the movie I recommend to people who have never seen a Godzilla film before, a movie I can recommend as not just a great Godzilla film but a great film, period. That'll be Minus One.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Just saw it a second time. Still amazing. Tomorrow one last matinee at the IMAX with another friend.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Bip Roberts posted:

Also (personal opinion) no Gamera movies are very good.

Gamera rules, I'm taking your kaiju card

Stegosnaurlax fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Dec 6, 2023

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah, they 100% earned that ending. If you can et up an ending like that with two quick twists at the end, and still leave me crying, that was earned.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
very heartwarming to see all the Hedorah love. between how rad Hedorah is and how absurdly of its era it is, that's a hell of a movie. godzilla and discotheques 4 life

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
My only issue with the ending is that the way it’s done pushes the father daughter aspect to the side. The camera focuses on him and Noriko and completely leaves Akiko out of the shot. Her staying dead and fully accepting his role as Akikos father would have been growth from his earlier “I’m not her dad” scene. They did have a tender moment before his planned death, but still was abandoning her.

But doesn’t really lessen the film as Noriko was obviously much more of a character than the kid.
I think just as a new parent I latched onto being a bad dad aspect more. I got a little teary at the thought of Akiko losing another parent.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Spacebump posted:

Outside of OG Godzilla, Shin, and -1, what are the other good Japanese Godzilla movies?

It's not a movie but an animated series but Godzilla Singular Point is pretty good.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I get to go see -1 again tonight. I'm very happy.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

I get to go see -1 again tonight. I'm very happy.

Jealous. I'm hoping it gets a rerelease in the spring, because this is absolutely one film that must be seen in theaters, preferably in IMAX, to fully appreciate it.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

fez_machine posted:

It's not a movie but an animated series but Godzilla Singular Point is pretty good.

Agreed!

On the topic of Hedorah I think it's hard not to think about it in terms of a reaction to like the Minamata disasters and some real crazy industrial pollution issues happening at the time so it always has been a favorite

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I watched Final Wars last night. Amazing how much this series has improved.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

fez_machine posted:

Singular Point rules but I'm leery to recommend it to someone looking for things along the line of Shin, -1, and the OG.

It's a show about adults hyperfixating on theoretical physics and also Godzilla is there. Which rules, but folks should understand what they're getting into.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Yeah Singular Point is super weird but I ended up digging it. Also wanted a lot more of the "monster mash-ups" they used throughout where they created gestalt kaiju out of the existing ones.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

-1 was actually the #1 movie on Monday and pretty close on Tuesday. It is doing well enough it has been extended in theaters for one more week, and probably more if it does well again this weekend.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Box Office Mojo says G -1 just about hit $39 million worldwide and it's only been out since the 1st..

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Marvels gave up and stopped counting.

To think the best human stories this year has the back drop of a giant lizard, and the other is a talking cat. (dec 2022, but still close enough to 2023)

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

GateOfD posted:

To think the best human stories this year has the back drop of a giant lizard, and the other is a talking cat. (dec 2022, but still close enough to 2023)

Garfield starring Chris Pratt isn't actually out yet.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Nikumatic posted:

Garfield starring Chris Pratt isn't actually out yet.

another American kaiju movie??

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!
Winnipeg goons it looks like the g-man is showing at Scotiabank theatre starting Friday.....IN IMAX

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Watching Godzilla vs Megalon. Some of the fights in this are hilarious/great. This movie has so much more charm than Final Wars. Final Wars felt like what if a Dreamcast era sega cutscene director was allowed to make a Godzilla.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

It was actually a GameCube cutscene director.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://x.com/Godzilla_Toho/status/1732540047944261949?s=20

holy poo poo

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Which Godzilla movies have better fights than Godzilla + Jet Jaguar vs Megalon + Gigan?

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

several of the official twitter posts over the past few days have had the air of "WOW we didn't see this coming" about them lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
drat, minus one looks so great in IMAX. He is HUGE