Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

kreeningsons posted:

Congrats on unlocking your new genre of nightmares! Have a good night’s sleep!

My brother's house has side-by-side sinks that were plumbed with PEX-Gary. The PEX comes in under the right sink and feeds both sinks through a weird fitting contraption. Three weeks ago, one of the fittings past a functional shutoff valve (!) had popped a leak, leading to this exchange at the local high-knowledge hardware store:

Me: K so I'm unfamiliar with PEX, but I know this isn't right, here is the fitting I need replaced *hands over fitting* and here's a picture of the situation
Guy 1: What in the hell?
Me: I know, right?
Guy 1: I think you need to cut all that poo poo out and redo it with proper fittings, but let me check with Guy 2.
Me: *repeats with Guy 2*
Guy 2: ... What in the gently caress is that poo poo?
Me: I KNOW RIGHT

So I finish everything and fix other small leaks at crimps that were loose (gently caress Gary), I leak-check this poo poo for like 15 minutes in every possible permutation because I'm paranoid.

The kicker is I get a call yesterday, with pictures of a clear leak from below the other sink I didn't work on. Source was right under the faucet where the PEX line feeds it... via a sharkbite faucet connector. Gary never sleeps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I just tracked down a draft coming from the bolt/latch holes in a door frame. It took me a while to figure it out because I thought it was the weatherstripping not making good contact with the outside of the door.

I would've never thought about it, but I guess it makes sense that air could come in that way. It was a surprisingly strong flow too!

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Shifty Pony posted:

I just tracked down a draft coming from the bolt/latch holes in a door frame. It took me a while to figure it out because I thought it was the weatherstripping not making good contact with the outside of the door.

I would've never thought about it, but I guess it makes sense that air could come in that way. It was a surprisingly strong flow too!

How are you dealing with that? We're chasing down door drafts right now. The hinges, the bottoms, everything

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

kreeningsons posted:

Funny, I was doing some research and came across washing machine enthusiast forums where this machine was called out as such. I guess I’ll revise my opinion. It has always sounded unbalanced as it spins though. Maybe something to look at.

I know this has been discussed here before, but I was also under the impression that top loading machines with an agitator are harder on clothes. Not sure if there is any truth to that.
Yes, that is accurate and generally use quite a bit more water too. But, "hard" on clothes is relative. Either way, almost certainly not hard enough to warrant ripping out a otherwise serviceable machine.

When the time comes, replace it with something and more efficient, but in the meantime it's fine. North Americans used top loaders for decades.

Some of the older mechanical based machines are sought after by appliance reconditioning people because they are fairly reliable, easy to work on, parts are available and relatively inexpensive and still fetch a reasonable dollar when reconditioned.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

trevorreznik posted:

How are you dealing with that? We're chasing down door drafts right now. The hinges, the bottoms, everything

Fortunately all of the weatherstripping is in good shape so it has mostly been a matter of holes and cracks around the frames. The worst was against the exposed foundation in the semi-finished mudroom so I used expanding foam (probably should have used low expansion to make less trimming work for me, and I've caulked around a few spots in the house where I could tell air was coming in.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Kind of a long shot, but does anybody have an oil-fired furnace and use a smart oil gauge? I had to replace the batteries in the gauge on the tank, but ever since then (about a week), it only reads full and doesn't give an accurate reading anymore. I've replaced the batteries in the past but didn't have this problem.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I just upgraded our toilet seat from plain normal to heated bidet.

It was very easy and l only got 1 bloody knuckle and damaged 1 hose clip.
So I went to 2 hardware stores and couldn't find a replacement, then stomped into a b2b supplier to order a clip (actually 6 so I never need to order more), which will arrive in 4 days. Then I taped the old clip shut and turned the water back on and it's working fine so far.

My husband was like woah when he saw I ordered and installed the bidet in secret so it is a successful project!

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

kreeningsons posted:

Funny, I was doing some research and came across washing machine enthusiast forums where this machine was called out as such. I guess I’ll revise my opinion. It has always sounded unbalanced as it spins though. Maybe something to look at.

I know this has been discussed here before, but I was also under the impression that top loading machines with an agitator are harder on clothes. Not sure if there is any truth to that.

Maybe it's not level? Try getting some shims to level it and see if they helps.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

kreeningsons posted:

You might need to replace the suspension springs. They do wear out eventually. If yours is like mine there is going to be one in each corner of the frame that connect to the tub which keeps it balanced while spinning so it doesn't sound like a train just crashed into your basement. They're ~$30-60 and it takes maybe 30min to install, my washer is running nice and quiet now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crAbY6vvdkA

Here are some other causes for a loud or vibrating top-loading washing machine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLkA_8shk6I

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Ty for the washing machine help, all. I will definitely look at the springs.

I ran a smaller load last night and no leaks, so I’m going to reluctantly assume it is ok.

As some thread tax, here is the dryer that came with the house. It looks a bit older than the washer. The only bad part is it screams like a subway car hurtling down the tracks whenever it’s drying. Probably the bearings I guess.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

slave to my cravings posted:

Yep welcome to home ownership. Best to get yourself some water alarms (watchdog water alarm is a good cheap alarm) for whenever you do any plumbing related stuff or just in general for places where a leak would be extra bad or where you not might notice it right away. I always put a water alarm, a tray or bucket underneath with some paper towels, and check the connections for leaks regularly for at least 48 hours whenever I mess with plumbing stuff.

Concur.

By the way how loving dumb is it that Govee Wi-Fi connected water alarms will de-auth your app login and disable the remote warning functionality without telling you?

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

peanut posted:

I just upgraded our toilet seat from plain normal to heated bidet.

It was very easy and l only got 1 bloody knuckle and damaged 1 hose clip.
So I went to 2 hardware stores and couldn't find a replacement, then stomped into a b2b supplier to order a clip (actually 6 so I never need to order more), which will arrive in 4 days. Then I taped the old clip shut and turned the water back on and it's working fine so far.

My husband was like woah when he saw I ordered and installed the bidet in secret so it is a successful project!

Lol the toto washlet was my first and best house purchase

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

kreeningsons posted:

Ty for the washing machine help, all. I will definitely look at the springs.

I ran a smaller load last night and no leaks, so I’m going to reluctantly assume it is ok.

As some thread tax, here is the dryer that came with the house. It looks a bit older than the washer. The only bad part is it screams like a subway car hurtling down the tracks whenever it’s drying. Probably the bearings I guess.

The screaming is probably the drum belt tensioner,

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1657898853...7b-8dab70ea7fcd

...which costs less than $20 $5.00 and that on your machine you can replace easily and may not even need a screwdriver because you, once again, should thank the POs for buying an awesome tank of a dryer.

That is the GE-branded version of the Kenmore dryer that is the twin to your washer. The next model of this unit did not have the access door at the bottom. IIRC that door just pops off, and you can access just about any wear part through there, including the ignitor, gas valve, tensioner, etc.

By comparison, I have to remove the top & pop off the entire front panel.

Pull the plug
Pop the panel off
Vacuum out all the lint so you can see WTF you are doing
LIGHT AZZIZ LIGHT
Locate the tensioner
Pull the belt to create slack
Pop the belt off of the pulley
Watch the tensioner fall off
Insert new tensioner, pull back, & loop on belt
Keep this dryer forever

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

PainterofCrap posted:

...which costs less than $20 $5.00 and that on your machine you can replace easily and may not even need a screwdriver because you, once again, should thank the POs for buying an awesome tank of a dryer.

That is the GE-branded version of the Kenmore dryer that is the twin to your washer. The next model of this unit did not have the access door at the bottom. IIRC that door just pops off, and you can access just about any wear part through there, including the ignitor, gas valve, tensioner, etc.

Pull the plug
Pop the panel off
LIGHT AZZIZ LIGHT
Locate the tensioner
Keep this dryer forever

And clean the duct if you haven't done it recently.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

PainterofCrap posted:

Pull the plug
Pop the panel off
LIGHT AZZIZ LIGHT
Locate the tensioner
Keep this dryer forever

Hell yeah. It’s electric but I will check this out too

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
I have a 2 year old integrated LED light fixture that has started flickering. It's mostly when it turns on, then while it's in it's mostly steady with the occasional flicker. The other lights on the same circuit aren't flickering. I pulled it and checked the wire connectors. The connectors seemed fine but I replaced them anyway. It's still flickering. The only think I can think to do at this point is alligator clip a multimeter to the wires and see if the voltage is weird.

Is there anything else to do for diagnosis here? I have no reason to believe it's anything but the fixture itself failing, but I'm annoyed that I have to pick out a new fixture when it's essentially the bulb going bad.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

You've already done much more diagnostics than I would have. This is the most common failure mode/symptom of failing LED electronics.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Yeah. I'd have replaced it already but I have other projects I'm working on that are higher priority. The flickering annoys my wife so I took a look at it.

I'm planning on getting a fixture that takes bulbs instead of another integrated LED fixture. I don't care so much about replacing the whole light fixture in areas where the decor doesn't matter, but this is in the actual living space.

It's funny that integrated LED fixtures are supposed to be fine because they are supposed to last a decade +, but the failure rate realistically means that some of them just aren't gonna last.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Vim Fuego posted:

It's funny that integrated LED fixtures are supposed to be fine because they are supposed to last a decade +, but the failure rate realistically means that some of them just aren't gonna last.

The LEDs almost all last a decade or more, or would. It's the electronics that drive them that are failing at huge rates, so the claimed lifespans are pretty disingenuous.

We need a new power standard/methodology for driving LED lighting that probably looks a whole lot like some of the older low voltage residential lighting systems, but it needs to be one single standard and everyone needs to adopt it. Which means it will never happen and we'll be watching cheap rectification electronics go bad feeding perfectly working LEDs forever.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
24v lighting circuits would be pretty dope with a common socket standard.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Just have a central transformer/rectifier like for doorbells.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

NomNomNom posted:

What I think about C9 christmas lights too.

Also why I don't buy anything integrated anymore, already had enough stuff fail on me.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

A while back someone posted about magnetic base light strings, anyone have firsthand experience with those? I don't really like getting up on the roof or going two stories up on a ladder if I can help it, but I'd love to put up Christmas lights all the same. Curious if the magnet base is strong enough to hang upside down from the gutters and allow me to put them up with a 25' decapole.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
I used these:

https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/223220/CLIP-10009.html

They worked extremely well; I attached them to my roof’s flashing as opposed to gutters. My roof is a 1/12 and my house is one story so walking around is trivial, but 200’ of installation took about 20 minutes once I had the strings set up.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

illcendiary posted:

I used these:

https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/223220/CLIP-10009.html

They worked extremely well; I attached them to my roof’s flashing as opposed to gutters. My roof is a 1/12 and my house is one story so walking around is trivial, but 200’ of installation took about 20 minutes once I had the strings set up.

Excellent, thanks! Thinking about it our gutters are aluminum, but the flashing should work fine.

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?
I have a Samsung dryer (model DV361, I think.) I just finished a load. The end-of-cycle chime was accompanied by a sound that was exactly like a car alarm.

Everything online or in the troubleshooting guide (I read the manual!) only talks about noises during the cycle.

Is this as simple as my chime's speaker dying?

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
Have you checked if your car is still there?

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?
I know you're giving me poo poo, but I really did check for the car before I figured out it was the dryer. Once I got to it, I could hear that the normal dryer song was also sounding strained.

I need to rephrase: my dryer audio system is wearing out. Does that indicate a more serious electrical problem?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

facialimpediment posted:

Me: K so I'm unfamiliar with PEX, but I know this isn't right, here is the fitting I need replaced *hands over fitting* and here's a picture of the situation
Guy 1: What in the hell?

What in the hell indeed - where is this picture?!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

A section of my braided SS hose (for my kitchen sink) is leaking so I'll order a replacement and replace it. The faucet end just screws into the ?head but the Gets Water end is a connector I'm sure is common but I'm unfamiliar with. How do I disconnect this?

I'm sorry about my cracked and dry thumb skin.

I take it once I disconnect this end in the white connector I can just pull it up and through the top?

e: The hose looks like this so I guess I just turn off the water and press the black button and I can pull it out.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Dec 10, 2023

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

H110Hawk posted:

What in the hell indeed - where is this picture?!

Fair!

For whatever reason, Gary decided he didn't like angle stops and the first fitting past the shutoff basically had a crack-leak.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

Final Blog Entry posted:

Put a small section of lights up and it'll work out so I'm going for it on the rest of the house. I'm using these screw eyes and bending them open to the side enough to get the wire into. I'm able to hand thread them directly into the vent holes of the vinyl soffit. I've got a bunch of the hooks up but no lights yet, I need to run around to some more Home Depots to round up more screw eyes this week and gotta borrow a bigger ladder to get to the high peak over my garage. Hopefully can get it all done this weekend.

I also bought some of these hooks that would have worked great, but they're pretty big and I was worried about them being a little to noticeable leaving them up the rest of the year.

Mission accomplished! The hooks worked great, and I didn't have to get on the roof or fiddle with putting plastic clips on the gutters or tabbing them under the shingles. Should be a huge quality of life improvement for many Christmases to come.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

kreeningsons posted:

This may be an obvious question, but have you checked that it's level? There are little feet on the bottom that you screw up and down to level the machine, and if those have drifted or one is broken, that would absolutely cause unbalanced loads.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

NomNomNom posted:

This is basically MR16 downlights.
Expensive retrofit LED lamps that cost about the same as a whole sealed unit.
And the transformers go bad too!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Final Blog Entry posted:

Mission accomplished! The hooks worked great, and I didn't have to get on the roof or fiddle with putting plastic clips on the gutters or tabbing them under the shingles. Should be a huge quality of life improvement for many Christmases to come.

Looks fabulous! Nice work by you

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

So, what are the thoughts on aftermarket bidet seats.

Not entirely sure about the service cold water spraying the rear end. I know fancy heated ones exist but I don't have power convenient to the porcelain throne.

Those that have one, pros/cons? Brands that are good? Avoid?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

PO had Boss Bidet when we moved in and the pressure was uh...intense. Maybe avoid that one

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I have a Brondell that I like. It has adjustable pressure and position, and it can heat the water, though honestly I found I prefer the tap temperature.

Any bidet is way better than no bidet though.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

slidebite posted:

So, what are the thoughts on aftermarket bidet seats.

Not entirely sure about the service cold water spraying the rear end. I know fancy heated ones exist but I don't have power convenient to the porcelain throne.

Those that have one, pros/cons? Brands that are good? Avoid?

toto washlet is the best I’ve used imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I have a Brondell that I like. It has adjustable pressure and position, and it can heat the water, though honestly I found I prefer the tap temperature.

Any bidet is way better than no bidet though.

This. Ive used a warm water one and its nice but ive never felt the tap temperature unpleasant.