Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Khanstant posted:

Eh, no way they swapped him because he can't do it anymore, he definitely can and does in his weird "we can't just fire Mario" job. They just got someone cheaper with a worse contract, who can initiate the Mario voice and do some extra work for way less. Nintendo probably also doesn't want its VAs having big notable names. they got lucky with Martinet just being a nice grandpa Mario. Idk the new Mario va name and I wouldn't be surprised if they just grabbed another next time or in a few games.

I mean more they can just be thinking ahead, Charles Martinet is almost 70. The new guy also voices Wario in the new WarioWare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
most voice actors for big mascot characters like mario or mickey mouse have multiple understudies ready to go in case the main voice actor dies or isnt available because they are working on another project what nintendo has done isnt really unusual since martinet is getting old and may not be able to maintain the voice for long periods anymore

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Khanstant posted:

Idk the new Mario va name and I wouldn't be surprised if they just grabbed another next time or in a few games.

I thought they were doing this all along. Mario has always sounded slightly different in every game to me.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I guess after poking around looking at the Simpsons driving games, I found The Simpsons Game from 2007 (largely unrelated to the Simpsons movie of 2007). I had no interest in trying to play an old and forgotten tie-in game, but since it was fully voice-acted, and seems to be a more elaborate game than Road Rage or Hit and Run, maybe it's something worth watching the cutscenes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsyt4gr0zGs

In summary, doesn't seem very good. Aside from the writing seeming generally weak and not bothering to put any more emotional side to the story to even out the gags, the game seems largely obsessed with making extremely contemporary videogame references. Marge is angry about the violence of the new game Grand Theft Scratchy, an EA executive bribes Mayor Quimby, Dr. Frink marries a Koopa, there's a boss fight against Will Wright, and during one section Bart and Lisa complain at length about the whole system of videogame marketing. The plot is about the Simpsons discovering that they are in a game and have videogame powers, and after some initial troublemaking in Springfield, the Simpsons have to confront first the makers of the game, then Matt Groening, and then god, to convince him to fix everything. God is a gamer though, so the Simpsons have to beat him in Dance Dance Revolution and then threaten to destroy his memory card, which upsets god because he still needs to finish Oblivion and doesn't want to have to start over.

I guess it's neat that Marge's gameplay is a lovely version of Pikmin.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I thought they were doing this all along. Mario has always sounded slightly different in every game to me.

They haven't! Charles Martinet has been the voice of Mario in all official Nintendo material since Super Mario 64. And also voices Luigi, Wario, and Waluigi.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They haven't! Charles Martinet has been the voice of Mario in all official Nintendo material since Super Mario 64. And also voices Luigi, Wario, and Waluigi.

I guess I should have clarified: I was surprised to learn recently that it had been the same guy all along.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It's a lot of consoles and games he appears in over the years, different voice direction too I'm sure.

There's a guy on YouTube who does excruciating doves into the voice actor history of Nintendo characters. The first couple were pretty interesting, but then because they were interesting he made money off of them and is now cursed to a lifetime of scraping increasingly obscure tidbits vaguely related to Nintendo audio to make obnoxious thumbnail algorithm fodder for.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
If they need someone to do the shyguy voice I can do it spot on

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Plant MONSTER. posted:

If they need someone to do the shyguy voice I can do it spot on

Same. I played Mario Party for the first time earlier this year and it startled the poo poo out of me to hear my own voice.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Was Krusty the first person to say "I said the quiet part loud" or was that expression around before?

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
That's where it comes from.

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I guess after poking around looking at the Simpsons driving games, I found The Simpsons Game from 2007 (largely unrelated to the Simpsons movie of 2007). I had no interest in trying to play an old and forgotten tie-in game, but since it was fully voice-acted, and seems to be a more elaborate game than Road Rage or Hit and Run, maybe it's something worth watching the cutscenes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsyt4gr0zGs

In summary, doesn't seem very good. Aside from the writing seeming generally weak and not bothering to put any more emotional side to the story to even out the gags, the game seems largely obsessed with making extremely contemporary videogame references. Marge is angry about the violence of the new game Grand Theft Scratchy, an EA executive bribes Mayor Quimby, Dr. Frink marries a Koopa, there's a boss fight against Will Wright, and during one section Bart and Lisa complain at length about the whole system of videogame marketing. The plot is about the Simpsons discovering that they are in a game and have videogame powers, and after some initial troublemaking in Springfield, the Simpsons have to confront first the makers of the game, then Matt Groening, and then god, to convince him to fix everything. God is a gamer though, so the Simpsons have to beat him in Dance Dance Revolution and then threaten to destroy his memory card, which upsets god because he still needs to finish Oblivion and doesn't want to have to start over.

I guess it's neat that Marge's gameplay is a lovely version of Pikmin.

I watched that out of curiosity a long time ago. I liked that they made Milhouse the King of All Cosmos, but yeah, it’s not great.

Making the lovely shoehorned-in guest star a boss battle is also a fun concept on paper, though probably not in the way they intended.

The Awesomesaurus fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Dec 5, 2023

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I wonder if the mad lads have modded Hank Hill into Hit N Run yet. Build-up to the defictionalisation of Pro-Pain.

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I wonder if the mad lads have modded Hank Hill into Hit N Run yet. Build-up to the defictionalisation of Pro-Pain.

Lmao, yeah and then some
https://forum.donutteam.com/topic/3112

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

The Awesomesaurus posted:

I watched that out of curiosity a long time ago. I liked that they made Milhouse the King of All Cosmos, but yeah, it’s not great.

Making the lovely shoehorned-in guest star a boss battle is also a fun concept on paper, though probably not in the way they intended.

Yeah considering it's a Game made from a TV show during it's past it's prime days, developed by EA it looks like it could be far, far worse.

Not that it looks good or anything, but it looks like there was some sort of fine ideas in there and some effort was put in. So still a bad game but more mid level boring bad, rather an actively the worst thing ever bad.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I love a good mod that's ridiculous and yet has a tonal and thematic consistency to it.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

emSparkly posted:

I distinctly remember the movie having a bit where Flanders showed us the "states that border Springfield" implying that Springfield was a state in itself.

it's been a long time but even that wouldn't work cause i'm preeeeeeeeeetty sure the joke was that there's no way any of those border states would geographically be possible to exist in such a configuration

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Is there actually anywhere where you can stand in five states at once?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Is there actually anywhere where you can stand in five states at once?

four is the most you can do

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Corners

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

In the monorail episode, during the maiden voyage, there's a painting of the Hindenburg crashing and another painting in the background... is that what it looks like?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think I'm not the only one to figure the joke is the fifth state is the one that Springfield is in.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Toxic Mental posted:

In the monorail episode, during the maiden voyage, there's a painting of the Hindenburg crashing and another painting in the background... is that what it looks like?

I wanted to quip that it's '93 WTC bombing, but then checked the dates and the attack occured a month after the episode has originally aired???

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Sorry but what is it supposed to look like?

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Kind of looks like the one of the WTC towers on fire or something, but I don't know if it's supposed to be something else

Here's another angle

I guess it could be a The Towering Inferno reference?

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Toxic Mental posted:

Apparently most people online have decided that the second painting is just a reference to The Towering Inferno film from 1974. It was a pretty big pop culture touchstone and fits in well with the theme of a disaster caused by cutting corners in infrastructure.

No Dignity posted:

Sorry but what is it supposed to look like?

The original WTC towers which were pretty famously blocky and simple looking, which makes sense considering it's just a generic cartoon skyscraper.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Like is anyone surprised Simpsons knew.

It's not like Matt Groening was shy about Bin Ladens manifesto being a major influences on the creation of the Simpsons. He went on and on about it interviews.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
homer did 9/11

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

doh!

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

dr_rat posted:

Like is anyone surprised Simpsons knew.

It's not like Matt Groening was shy about Bin Ladens manifesto being a major influences on the creation of the Simpsons. He went on and on about it interviews.

He even tried to work his theory about bin Laden hiding his bunny ears under a turban into the first season of the show.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
This week's Distraction podcast was grim. A producer said that due to the strike the production would cut a lot more corners than they normally would. What corners are left to cut?

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Greg12 posted:

This week's Distraction podcast was grim. A producer said that due to the strike the production would cut a lot more corners than they normally would. What corners are left to cut?

The one with the joke, of course

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

FireWorksWell posted:

The one with the joke, of course

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

FrumpleOrz posted:

It's Bart The Mother. I remember that being the first time I was incensed from watching an episode of the show. My brother still brings up how upset I was after that one aired.

I can't stand for this post.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Bart the Mother is really bad but I think it's the one with this bit so at least it has that going for it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YxYtP_kIkI

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Weren't they doing a reboot of King of the Hill? Did that make it past the idea stage?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Jonny Hardwick died so they should just put a kibosh on the whole project

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

womb with a view posted:

Bart the Mother is really bad but I think it's the one with this bit so at least it has that going for it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YxYtP_kIkI

Imagine them doing this scene with their current vocals...

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

https://twitter.com/thesimpsons/status/1732459965841867172

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That ... that was written by Grok, wasn't it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
marge and homer sound like people doing their best impressions but they are really bad at impressions