Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm not a fan of AoS and don't keep up with it at all so I'd never seen TAHLIA VEDRA, LIONESS OF THE PARCH, but as soon as I did, I knew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

AndyElusive posted:

I voted Angron because, how could I fuckin not?

It was between that kit and the Lion IMHO, but had Fulgrim been on that list (I guess no FW models?) I would have thrown it the vote.

Yeah. I'd have gone Fulgrim too had it have been there.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

How tf is fulgrim not on here?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'm not a fan of AoS and don't keep up with it at all so I'd never seen TAHLIA VEDRA, LIONESS OF THE PARCH, but as soon as I did, I knew.

Ya that's baller.

TOO BAD THIS IS THE 40k THREAD.

I kid, I kid. That poo poo is off the chain.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The big points models at low points games thing happens because of what games-workshop is selling and how expensive it is to build out some lists. And how long it takes to paint up everything as a secondary reason.

Like sure if I ditched the 2nd rogal dorn it would free up a ton of points to do something like

quote:

Imperium - Astra Militarum - My Cadians - [1000pts]

## Army Roster [1000pts]

### Configuration
Battle Size: Incursion (1000 Point limit)
Detachment: Combined Regiment
Show/Hide Options: Agents of the Imperium are visible, Imperial Knights are visible, Legends are visible, Titans are visible, Unaligned Forces are visible, Unaligned Fortifications are visible

### Epic Hero [55pts]
Ursula Creed [55pts]: Duty and Vengeance, Power Weapon, Warlord

### Character [65pts]
Cadian Command Squad [65pts]:
• 1x Cadian Commander: Plasma Pistol, Power Weapon
• 1x Veteran Guardsman: Laspistol, Plasma Gun, Close Combat Weapon
• 1x Veteran Guardsman: Close Combat Weapon, Lasgun, Master Vox
• 1x Veteran Guardsman: Close Combat Weapon, Lasgun, Medi-pack
• 1x Veteran Guardsman: Close Combat Weapon, Laspistol, Regimental Standard and Lasgun, Lasgun, Regimental Standard

### Battleline [240pts]
Cadian Shock Troops [60pts]: 1 Shock Trooper Sergeant and 9 Shock Troopers
• 7x Shock Trooper: Close Combat Weapon, Lasgun
• 1x Shock Trooper Sergeant: Laspistol and Chainsword, Chainsword, Laspistol
• 1x Shock Trooper: Close Combat Weapon, Plasma Gun
• 1x Shock Trooper: Close Combat Weapon, Lasgun, Vox-caster

Infantry Squad [60pts]: 1 Sergeant, 7 Guardsmen and 1 Heavy Weapons Team
• 5x Guardsman: Close Combat Weapon, Lasgun
• 1x Guardsman: Close Combat Weapon, Plasma Gun
• 1x Guardsman: Close Combat Weapon, Lasgun, Vox-caster
• 1x Heavy Weapons Team: Close Combat Weapon, Mortar, Laspistol
• 1x Sergeant: Plasma Pistol, Power Weapon

### Infantry [320pts]
Field Ordnance Battery [120pts]:
• 2x Ordnance Teams: Battery Close Combat Weapons, Lasgun, Laspistol, Mallus Rocket Launcher

Kasrkin [100pts]:
• 1x Kasrkin Sergeant: Power Weapon, Plasma Pistol
• 3x Kasrkin Trooper: Close Combat Weapon, Hot-shot Lasgun
• 1x Kasrkin Trooper: Close Combat Weapon, Hot-shot Marksmen Rifle
• 2x Kasrkin Trooper: Close Combat Weapon, Hot-shot Volley Gun
• 2x Kasrkin Trooper: Close Combat Weapon, Plasma Gun
• 1x Kasrkin Trooper: Close Combat Weapon, Hot-shot lasgun, Vox-caster

Kasrkin [100pts]:
• 1x Kasrkin Sergeant: Power Weapon, Plasma Pistol
• 3x Kasrkin Trooper: Close Combat Weapon, Hot-shot Lasgun
• 1x Kasrkin Trooper: Close Combat Weapon, Hot-shot Marksmen Rifle
• 2x Kasrkin Trooper: Close Combat Weapon, Hot-shot Volley Gun
• 2x Kasrkin Trooper: Close Combat Weapon, Plasma Gun
• 1x Kasrkin Trooper: Close Combat Weapon, Hot-shot lasgun, Vox-caster

### Vehicle [320pts]
Rogal Dorn Battle Tank [260pts]: 2 Meltaguns, 2x Meltagun, 2 Heavy Bolters, 2x Heavy Bolter, Armoured tracks, Castigator Gatling Cannon, Heavy Stubber, Oppressor Cannon and Co-axial Autocannon, Co-axial Autocannon, Oppressor Cannon

Scout Sentinels [60pts]:
• 1x Scout Sentinel: Close Combat Weapon, Hunter-killer Missile, Autocannon, Sentinel Chainsaw

I'd still need to get an Ursula Creed thou.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I was boring and just voted for the WH+ Kasrkin. v:v:v

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Personally I'd rather play against one Rogal Dorn that two at 1k; one makes a nice center piece unit but two is a little oppressive and feels like a "slant list". I don't know what to do about 4 Chimeras being a slant list a 1k if I want to play armored fist Imperial Guard.

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
Chimeras are fine, their shooting is meh (they really need to synergize with orders/strats), and they should firmly be regarded as 'dedicated transports' and not as tanks.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

None of them can upset the winner in my heart: The Sundae Titan

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
If you wanted to run some 500 point games with unit restrictions to help things stay a bit more balanced at such a low level, what would y'all consider reasonable? I was thinking:

- No Epic Heroes
- Max 1 vehicle
- No Super-heavy (no Knights)

Got potentially a group of 4 newish players and want to start small but already have a smattering of models and don't want to require everyone buy/build a Combat Patrol. 1000 points is doable but still a ways away, so I was thinking some 500 point games to get our feet wet. Thoughts?

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
I decided to be the most insufferable jerk a few weeks back during a 1000+1000 doubles tournament and played a lychguard brick plus a transcendent c'tan with the fnp enhancement.

the only thing that permanently died the entire tournament was the c'tan.

Was fun but I'm kinda glad those combos are getting yeeted.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Super Waffle posted:

If you wanted to run some 500 point games with unit restrictions to help things stay a bit more balanced at such a low level, what would y'all consider reasonable? I was thinking:

- No Epic Heroes
- Max 1 vehicle
- No Super-heavy (no Knights)

Got potentially a group of 4 newish players and want to start small but already have a smattering of models and don't want to require everyone buy/build a Combat Patrol. 1000 points is doable but still a ways away, so I was thinking some 500 point games to get our feet wet. Thoughts?

Those all sound good, I wonder if you could say "1 non epic HQ, at least 1 Battleline". But now we're just reinventing Force Org.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Jack B Nimble posted:

By Sigmars hairy balls that is magnificent

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

This model of the year voting needs pictures or links so I can easily/quickly see all the things :(

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Those all sound good, I wonder if you could say "1 non epic HQ, at least 1 Battleline". But now we're just reinventing Force Org.

I think at the end of the day a gaming system that doesn’t want to be dominated by independently strong units either needs internal synergies or external requirements. 10th Edition doesn’t really have much of either of those, which is why there’s so much emphasis on tanks and epic heroes.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

tangy yet delightful posted:

This model of the year voting needs pictures or links so I can easily/quickly see all the things :(

just vote angron, the time has come for him to actually win something

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Voted Terminators because I enjoyed painting them :colbert:.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

DO IT TO IT posted:

just vote angron, the time has come for him to actually win something

So far I'm leaning https://www.warhammer.com/en-US/shop/harbinger-of-decay-2023, submit your attempts to influence my vote here goons.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Kaal posted:

I think at the end of the day a gaming system that doesn’t want to be dominated by independently strong units either needs internal synergies or external requirements. 10th Edition doesn’t really have much of either of those, which is why there’s so much emphasis on tanks and epic heroes.

I agree, and it bums me out, I dislike seeing the supreme faction head in every dang game.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Submitted Rogal Dorn battle tank because tank

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

There were some really good models in 2023 but yeah, I went Angron. Really looking forward to painting mine once I build up the courage

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Kaal posted:

We haven't even had a full year of tanks mattering again and people are sick of it...

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

BadLlama posted:

Submitted Rogal Dorn battle tank because tank

On the one hand this is a very convincing argument, on the other hand missing a bottom should automatically disqualify the miniature.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Lostconfused posted:

On the one hand this is a very convincing argument, on the other hand missing a bottom should automatically disqualify the miniature.

The Rogal Dorn is a top so it's fine.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
They've fixed the BA and other indices:

Blood Angels:
Brother Corbulo can now lead Assault Intercessors and Sternguard Veterans
Captain Tycho can now lead Assault Intercessors, Company Heroes, or Sternguard Veterans
Commander Dante can now lead Assault Intercessors with Jump Packs
Death Company Marines with Jump Packs can now be led by any Chaplain that could lead an Assault Squad with Jump Packs
Gabriel Seth can now lead Assault Intercessors, Company Heroes, or Sternguard Veterans
Sanguinary Guard can now be led by any Captain that could lead an Assault Squad with Jump Packs
Sanguinary Priest can now lead Assault Intercessors and Sternguard Veterans
Sanguinary Priest with Jump Pack can now lead Assault Intercessors with Jump Packs

Dark Angels:
Asmodai can now lead Assault Intercessors, Company Heroes, or Sternguard Veterans
Azrael can now lead Company Heroes
Ezekiel can now lead Assault Intercessors, Company Heroes, or Sternguard Veterans

Deathwatch:
Corvus Blackstar: Centurions now take the space of 3 models for transport purposes
Deathwatch Veterans can now be led by any character that could lead Sternguard Veterans
Proteus Kill Team can now be led by any character that could lead Sternguard Veterans

Space Wolves
Can no longer include Apothecaries
Blood Claws can now be led by any character that could lead Assault Intercessors
Grey Hunters: Grav Gun damage changed to 2
Skyclaws can now be led by any character that could lead Assault Intercessors with Jump Packs
Wolf Guard can now be led by any character that could lead Sternguard Veterans

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

tangy yet delightful posted:

So far I'm leaning https://www.warhammer.com/en-US/shop/harbinger-of-decay-2023, submit your attempts to influence my vote here goons.

That is also the model I chose. Age of Sigmar has better models than 40k.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Most of the tournament winning lists I've seen are 2-3 of the same vehicle/monster but majority infantry. I admit that I was worried that armor would overwhelm the new edition but it doesn't seem to have happened.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I threw my vote away on Khorne Berserkers because they're awesome :black101:

I did this for Chaos Warriors. I don't need huge centrepiece characters, I just want really well designed core troops for every army! TBF they have gotten better at this, resculpting a lot of the oldest/worst offenders.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I'd say besides Lord Solar the guard don't even have an epic hero, at least nobody even mentions commissar Gaunt.

Everyone else is like 5 or 10 points more than Cadian Castellan which looks like the baseline leader unit for Guard that isn't a full sized command squad.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Thoughts on the Battle Sister Castigator Tank armament?

I bought two and built the first one with a battle cannon, was thinking of building the second one as autocannons but really the battle cannon seems like it is just as good or even better in some situations at wiping infantry than the auto cannons, while keeps their anti vehicle/monster rules...

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Battle Cannon is generally better than Autocannon into most things. But it's pretty easy to magnetize (or even just dry fit?) the weapon options anyway.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

3 Action Economist posted:

Dark Angels:
Asmodai can now lead Assault Intercessors, Company Heroes, or Sternguard Veterans
Azrael can now lead Company Heroes
Ezekiel can now lead Assault Intercessors, Company Heroes, or Sternguard Veterans

Dark Angels shouldn't have bladeguard, sternguard, or vanguard vets.

I will fight about this.

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
Yeah but the autocannon inflicts a bonus AP pip to all subsequent shooting at the same target. If the above poster had 4 chimeras with heavy bolters and they went from AP 1 to AP2...well that would do a lot of work against MEQ

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I wish I could run Chimera's in my Sister Army.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Tangy Zizzle posted:

Yeah but the autocannon inflicts a bonus AP pip to all subsequent shooting at the same target. If the above poster had 4 chimeras with heavy bolters and they went from AP 1 to AP2...well that would do a lot of work against MEQ

It does not.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

IncredibleIgloo posted:

That is also the model I chose. Age of Sigmar has better models than 40k.

I think AoS models are on average better, but 40K is wildly inconsistent between armies. Like, the Death Guard sculpts are IMO incredible, but then 99% of the rest of the marine type models are just dull.

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad

Eej posted:

It does not.

I mean it's the unit ability not the weapon, but you can only use that weapon with that unit.

Withering Fire

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Tangy Zizzle posted:

Autocannons are usually worse than they look because they're in that uncomfortable middle of not enough shots that aren't strong enough

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Tangy Zizzle posted:

I mean it's the unit ability not the weapon, but you can only use that weapon with that unit.

Withering Fire

The Castigator does not have Withering Hail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad

Eej posted:

The Castigator does not have Withering Hail.

Yes I was responding to the guy wondering about what leman russ he should use. The leman russ exterminator is what I was referring to, and using chimeras with them.