Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I have a soft spot for Divinity 2: Dragon Knight Saga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Rumor has it that if you can actually guess the release order of the Divinity series based on the titles alone Swen Vincke will personally mail you 100 Euros.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Divine Divinity
Divine Divinity 2: Diviner Divinity
Divine Divinity 3: The Most Divine
Divinity Original Sin
The Divine Divinity
Divinity Original Sin 2: Diviner Sin

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Divinity Original Sin is obviously the first game in the series. It's right there in the title.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Divinity: Divine Drift is ignored by everyone even though it's a solid (AND CANON) entry and I will not stand for it

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

They keep calling it “final fantasy,” but every new game in the series doesn’t seem very “final” to me!

Orv
May 4, 2011
Let this be your most final fantasy

mystes
May 31, 2006

Owl Inspector posted:

They keep calling it “final fantasy,” but every new game in the series doesn’t seem very “final” to me!
It's like extensions of copyright terms. As long as it's the last installment when it comes out, it's technically the final fantasy

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Divine Fantasy: Final Divinity

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

they call it final fantasy because she final (?) in my fantasy till I VII (????)

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Black Griffon posted:

they call it final fantasy because she final (?) in my fantasy till I VII (????)

one handed angel

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

ps kind of an open question, are there any games like what Spiderweb Software puts out? And do not say Baldur's Gate, I know about Baldur's Gate.

Moonring?

Horizon's Gate?

mystes
May 31, 2006

kazil posted:

one handed angel
Lol

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
The two things I remember from Divine Divinity is:

1) Way more orcs than you think there are going to be
2) Something about a cow falling from the sky

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

What I remember about Divine Divinity is that it's bookended by boring dungeons that go on for way too long. The middle part makes for a fun, underrated RPG, though.

Zaphiel
Apr 20, 2006

Fun Shoe
There's a disturbing lack of Backpack Hero in this thread. Or I missed under the games are bad now chat.

Backpack Hero is a turn-based rogue-like where you play as a mouse with a magical ever-expanding backpack, delving deep into an ever-changing dungeon to find her missing mother. You've got your standard Slay The Spire/Monster Train trappings of energy, deterministic combat, block that lasts one turn, spikes, etc, but the twist is that every item you carry is represented in your backpack, where placement rules and the number of spaces you have in it matter.

You will be playing placement Tetris in your backpack and it is glorious.

Sure, you have your Wooden Sword that has 7 damage, but if you place it adjacent to your Bronze Amour, that's +1 damage! But you better make sure your Bronze Amour is next to your Leather Cap, so it can get +1 to block, and that your Leather Cap is in the top row, so it can get max block as well.

When you level up, you get to choose how your backpack will grow and expand, so maybe if you have the Right Glove (For each space to the left, this item gets +0.5 block), you're going to expand your backpack waaay to the left.

The game also showers you in items, so there are always interesting choices and way to build up your run.

I'm currently playing Story Mode, where you unlock characters and items by doing specific challenges which help teach you about the different mechanics. You build up your destroyed town by helping villagers with dungeon related requests and building buildings that will auto generate resources for you while you're exploring the dungeon.

But if you just want to go on a run, there's a quick play mode where you can just dive in with everything unlocked.

I've unlocked 3 characters so far and they all play extremely differently than the default character!

This game has just been a blast for me to play. Often, I spend more time on the rewards screen, organizing my backpack than I do actually fighting. It's so incredibly satisfying when you get a good build going by placing items just so and you go from someone who is struggling to survive to an untouchable powerhouse.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

Divinity Original Sin is obviously the first game in the series. It's right there in the title.

If it was just Divinity Original Sin sure but it’s actually Divinity: Original Sin and the prequel colon is vital context.

bobthenameless
Jun 20, 2005

i kinda liked the idea of that divinity game that was an rts, but then you can go control a dragon and breathe fire over the enemy bases/armies.

i cant remember if i watched someone play this or if i did briefly but it seems like a fever dream since playing d:os/d:os2 was what I thought was my introduction to the whole series

e: surprisingly enough it was called divinity: dragon commander https://store.steampowered.com/app/243950/Divinity_Dragon_Commander/

Orv
May 4, 2011

bobthenameless posted:

i kinda liked the idea of that divinity game that was an rts, but then you can go control a dragon and breathe fire over the enemy bases/armies.

i cant remember if i watched someone play this or if i did briefly but it seems like a fever dream since playing d:os/d:os2 was what I thought was my introduction to the whole series

Dragon Commander is a game that actually exists despite seeming extremely fever-dreamy, yeah. It wasn't great but that's the legacy of FPSRTS games where you play a dragon I guess. Somehow there are multiple of those.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zaphiel posted:

There's a disturbing lack of Backpack Hero in this thread. Or I missed under the games are bad now chat.

Backpack Hero is a turn-based rogue-like where you play as a mouse with a magical ever-expanding backpack, delving deep into an ever-changing dungeon to find her missing mother. You've got your standard Slay The Spire/Monster Train trappings of energy, deterministic combat, block that lasts one turn, spikes, etc, but the twist is that every item you carry is represented in your backpack, where placement rules and the number of spaces you have in it matter.

Sure, you have your Wooden Sword that has 7 damage, but if you place it adjacent to your Bronze Amour, that's +1 damage! But you better make sure your Bronze Amour is next to your Leather Cap, so it can get +1 to block, and that your Leather Cap is in the top row, so it can get max block as well.

When you level up, you get to choose how your backpack will grow and expand, so maybe if you have the Right Glove (For each space to the left, this item gets +0.5 block), you're going to expand your backpack waaay to the left.

The game also showers you in items, so there are always interesting choices and way to build up your run.

I'm currently playing Story Mode, where you unlock characters and items by doing specific challenges which help teach you about the different mechanics. You build up your destroyed town by helping villagers with dungeon related requests and building buildings that will auto generate resources for you while you're exploring the dungeon.

But if you just want to go on a run, there's a quick play mode where you can just dive in with everything unlocked.

I've unlocked 3 characters so far and they all play extremely differently than the default character!

This game has just been a blast for me to play. Often, I spend more time on the rewards screen, organizing my backpack than I do actually fighting. It's so incredibly satisfying when you get a good build going by placing items just so and you go from someone who is struggling to survive to an untouchable powerhouse.

Backpack hero is absolutely fantastic but it was in an (extremely good) Early Access for a while so a lot of people talked themselves out on it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

bobthenameless posted:

e: surprisingly enough it was called divinity: dragon commander https://store.steampowered.com/app/243950/Divinity_Dragon_Commander/

Orv posted:

Dragon Commander is a game that actually exists despite seeming extremely fever-dreamy, yeah. It wasn't great but that's the legacy of FPSRTS games where you play a dragon I guess. Somehow there are multiple of those.

Don’t forget the political visual novel parts.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Zaphiel posted:

... but the twist is that every item you carry is represented in your backpack, where placement rules and the number of spaces you have in it matter.

And if you want that, but as an asynchronous PVP game, try the other backpack game :v:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

fez_machine posted:

Here's the thing, and this a real challenge I will do my best to fulfil, you could name the obscurest deadest micro-niche genre and I could name a good game that came out in the last 5 years (even the last 2 if I wanted to S rank) that exists in that genre.

a good game? for any genre?

anime dating simulator :smug:

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Jimbot posted:

I have a soft spot for Divinity 2: Dragon Knight Saga.

It rules. I still haven't been able to get into DOS 2 but I go back to Divinity 2 every few years.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Persona 5

(e: under the assumption that 'dating sim' means 'games like the Tokimeki Memorial series' (which is a very dead genre) and not 'any visual novel where you end up with a girl at the end is a dating sim' )

Tamba fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Dec 6, 2023

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

The last few days it’s been heavily rumored we’ll see Arkane’s next game at the Game Awards tomorrow (from the Lyon team). A series of tweets and insider hints on ResetEra later, and the current running theory is that it might be a Blade game. And while I’d obviously rather have Dishonored 3, if skinning an IP over it is what it takes to make it commercially successful then I’ll take it. I guess we’ll know tomorrow.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Yakuza 0

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Anno posted:

The last few days it’s been heavily rumored we’ll see Arkane’s next game at the Game Awards tomorrow (from the Lyon team). A series of tweets and insider hints on ResetEra later, and the current running theory is that it might be a Blade game. And while I’d obviously rather have Dishonored 3, if skinning an IP over it is what it takes to make it commercially successful then I’ll take it. I guess we’ll know tomorrow.

Whew boy, uh, they will be setting themselves up for an uphill battle by making an action packed vampire shooter after Redfall.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

GaaS (Games as a Slayer)

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

ImpAtom posted:

Whew boy, uh, they will be setting themselves up for an uphill skate by making an action packed vampire shooter after Redfall.

Fixed that for you

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm looking forward to seeing the next turd that will emerge from Arkane's decomposing corpse.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Jack Trades posted:

I'm looking forward to seeing the next turd that will emerge from Arkane's decomposing corpse.

Turd from a corpse you say? Sort of like a Deathpoop?

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Idk I think they could show a cool game that looks like an actual Arkane game and most people would forget about The Redfall Incident pretty quickly. Here’s to hoping.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Anno posted:

Idk I think they could show a cool game that looks like an actual Arkane game and most people would forget about The Redfall Incident pretty quickly. Here’s to hoping.

the people who made those games are no longer at the company

Tamba posted:

Persona 5

ok you got me I didn't expect this one

Hwurmp posted:

Yakuza 0

what the heck has kiryu been getting up to

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Anno posted:

The people that were capable of making that kind of game left the studio after Prey came out.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mordja posted:

Fixed that for you

gently caress! How did I miss that! gently caress!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

the people who made those games are no longer at the company

The lead designer of Prey co directed Redfall. Harvey Smith is still at the Lyon studio afaik.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
lead designers arent the only people making games, they had something like 60%+ employee turnover

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

what the heck has kiryu been getting up to

various Yakuza protagonists have been witnessed walking out

with the lady types

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

lead designers arent the only people making games, they had something like 60%+ employee turnover

At this point it's more like an employee croissant!