Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

You guys are overthinking. Tau end up on the other side of the galaxy the same way as everyone else: Dark Eldar slave raids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

You guys are overthinking. Tau end up on the other side of the galaxy the same way as everyone else: Dark Eldar slave raids.

Huh, you might be on to something.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

pentyne posted:

Traditionally a lot of those dangling plot threads are added into the various army book editions as a way for players to freely create interesting scenarios and not have some lore nerd insisting it is impossible because of X

The 2 missing primarchs were originally just intended to allow players to make homebrew Space Marines and just say they were descended from one of those 2, all the tip toeing around the subject that's been going on in the novels has people constantly speculating and theorycrafting but the entire point is they don't exist just to encourage tabletop army creation.
Yeah. You need some kind of fig leaf to explain why two different Craftworlds might be fighting each other or why my Imperial Guard is going up against your Sisters of Battle or whatever. Dangling plot threads, factionalism and 10,000 years of half-forgotten history all do that pretty well. The problem comes, as you say, when obsessives start collecting them all into the Lexicanum and trying to make a story out of something wasn't really intended to be a story, but a setting.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Dec 5, 2023

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

IMO they've done a good job differentiating the craft worlds over the last couple books. You no longer have to come up with excuses why meddling seer Eldar would fight psycho fascist Eldar or pirate haven Eldar.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Buschmaki posted:

They run into a lot of tyranids, shitloads of orcs, or the like, Space Sharks (Carcharodons ftw)

DLC character: Tyberos the Red Wake. You just kind of hang out chilling while he murders everything

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

pentyne posted:

a Kroot ally would be amazing, because their whole gimmick is eating people and getting stronger.
Swarm-That-Walks II: Become Kroot.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

I am very much looking forward to the sisyphean task of going Heretic+Iconoclast and trying to find some daemons that can be chill for at least the span of a couple of conversations. Let me try to appease the horrors of Tzeentch by lining my ship with insincere posters about Hope and Change We Can Believe in, only to find that I've managed to deeply offend every major faction in the region. Just a slow panning shot of my smoking colonies before my rogue trader admits that mistakes were made.

Wrath of the Righteous let you take some really wild swings with the mythic paths, so I am hoping that narrowing those down to 3 paths here allowed them to write in some weird possible end points for the story.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Ffffffuuuuuh

I could have sworn this releases tomorrow at 11:00 a.m. Eastern but now I'm seeing the 7th. Life is pain.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

avoraciopoctules posted:

I am very much looking forward to the sisyphean task of going Heretic+Iconoclast and trying to find some daemons that can be chill for at least the span of a couple of conversations.

Honestly, his could describe many of Tzeentch's and Nurgle's minions. Especially the former; those dudes (or at least those dudes above the regular scrum of Flamers and Screamers/Discs) are willing to wait centuries if it means increasing their "JUST AS PLANNED!" percentages.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Full Benevolentia (Khorne aligned) playthrough

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

DaysBefore posted:

Life is suffering.

Therefore, to end all suffering, one must end all life.

(THIS MESSAGE ENDORSED BY KHORNE AND THE SILENT KING)

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
You could carry a conversation with a daemonette, plague bearer or bloodletter if you found one in a non-hostile setting, though the conversation would be extremely short and one dimensional before turning very hostile quickly.

You' probably have to find an exalted demon of whichever sort you wanted to talk with to get anything useful*, the higher ranking ones have more fleshed out personalities and intellects beyond the base urge they represent.

*Actual usefulness may vary from just enough to doubt yourself in a critical moment to setting you up for absolute self destruction.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Carcer posted:

You could carry a conversation with a daemonette, plague bearer or bloodletter if you found one in a non-hostile setting, though the conversation would be extremely short and one dimensional before turning very hostile quickly.

You' probably have to find an exalted demon of whichever sort you wanted to talk with to get anything useful*, the higher ranking ones have more fleshed out personalities and intellects beyond the base urge they represent.

*Actual usefulness may vary from just enough to doubt yourself in a critical moment to setting you up for absolute self destruction.

If you're Dorn, you can also recite boring trivia at them until they rage out.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

DaysBefore posted:

Ah, communism.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Ah, communism.

Blood for the Blood God Commune. Skull for the Throne Community Center of Skulls.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Reviews are in, I'll let someone with more executive function post links, but general takeaway is that they absolutely nailed the setting and reactivity and ship combat is pretty decent. On the other hand it is buggy (expected) and ground combat has too many trash battles and some reviewers don't enjoy it or the levelling systems.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Is there any advantage buying this on steam ratjer than GoG?

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

Angry Lobster posted:

Is there any advantage buying this on steam ratjer than GoG?

I remember the devs saying they are planning to integrate steam workshop for mods.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ZearothK posted:

Reviews are in, I'll let someone with more executive function post links, but general takeaway is that they absolutely nailed the setting and reactivity and ship combat is pretty decent.

AHAHAHA YESSS

ZearothK posted:

On the other hand it is buggy (expected) and ground combat has too many trash battles and some reviewers don't enjoy it or the levelling systems.

Bugs aside, I didn't mind the other bits, so from the looks of it, this game is going to be amazing (at least from my perspective) :syoon: What kind of bugs did they mention? I don't want to spoil myself too much on anything else.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

What time does this unlock tomorrow? I'll probably be up late tonight and want to know If I can get started on this in the wee hours.

E: Thanks!

Axetrain fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Dec 6, 2023

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Axetrain posted:

What time does this unlock tomorrow? I'll probably be up late tonight and want to know If I can get started on this in the wee hours.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
It's a bit of a bind because I nearly always find the main stories in these games pretty whatever and usually it's a couple key sidequests and the companions that make or break them for me but obviously stumbling into them and being surprised is usually a key contributor to that stuff working as well so it's probably better to not seek out examples of those. If the core is solid I'm sure I'll find enough to enjoy and it sounds like it has that.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

CommissarMega posted:

What kind of bugs did they mention? I don't want to spoil myself too much on anything else.

From the PC Gamer review:

quote:

The other thing that sapped my goodwill is bugs. While it runs smoothly on my rig (and managed to run at over 30fps even when I tested it on a laptop with a 1060), I've had quest bugs and problems with the AI. I had to restart after a quest-blocking bug 18 hours in, and had characters insist I help them with problems I already solved or offer their services after being recruited. One enemy ran back to the beginning of the map on the first turn and hid there, meaning after dealing with his friends I had to trek back in turn-based mode to finish the fight. Allies sometimes don't act on their turns, and distant enemies sometimes take a full minute to decide what they're doing. The camera doesn't always move where it's supposed to when dialogue pops up during battles, meaning I have to read it in the log after. The log reverts to Russian when describing Perils of the Warp, and explains why I have to reroll successes by saying "%Reason%". Two of my combat abilities stopped working for a while, and the tech-priest's utility mechadendrites, which are supposed to give him a +10 bonus to Demolition and Tech-Use, instead give him a +1,020 bonus. I could go on.

Kinda expected from Owlcat although you'd hope they'd have figured out by now not to have these kinds of issues on launch. The progression-blocking bugs still being there is really bad, I remember having a few of those in beta as well and I'd really hoped they'd have fixed them by now.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
My Steam key was revoked??

Oh. My Steam "playtest" key was revoked. Let's do this.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Clerical Terrors posted:

Kinda expected from Owlcat although you'd hope they'd have figured out by now not to have these kinds of issues on launch. The progression-blocking bugs still being there is really bad, I remember having a few of those in beta as well and I'd really hoped they'd have fixed them by now.

lol that last one owns

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Clerical Terrors posted:

Ah, right then. That does dampen things somewhat, especially since I'll probably hit that 18-hour mark this weekend :v: Still, I got lucky with WotR less than a week after release, hopefully my luck holds up again.

cuntman.net posted:

lol that last one owns

lol same

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
An Owlcat game with bugs on release and too many trash fights sounds about par for the course. I’ll keep drinking that garbage though

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Cantorsdust posted:

An Owlcat game with bugs on release and too many trash fights sounds about par for the course. I’ll keep drinking that garbage though

this

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Rogue Trader does have a shitload of trash mobs but unlike WoTR they can be pretty easily handled by Argenta opening up with her bolter

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guTGVnpurXM

Mortismal didn't mention trash fights but he did say the game drops a lot of enemies in fights that are just there to help you raise morale before tackling the actual threats, so the pacing can get glacial at times. Also the game has an XCom-like reverse difficulty curve, where eventually nothing can touch you.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Cassia was my go-to for clearing trash fights in the... blink of an eye?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Popete posted:

My Steam key was revoked??

Oh. My Steam "playtest" key was revoked. Let's do this.

I broke my never pre-order rule for this game yesterday just to have a couple days with the beta to screw around so I'm not doing build paralysis day 1. This was an unpleasant surprise.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Azran posted:

Also the game has an XCom-like reverse difficulty curve, where eventually nothing can touch you.

This is a classic RPG problem, where you do harder optional quests (proving you're already more powerful that is required for the main story quests) and get rewarded with loot that makes you even stronger and further breaks the difficulty curve.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

v1ld posted:

I broke my never pre-order rule for this game yesterday just to have a couple days with the beta to screw around so I'm not doing build paralysis day 1. This was an unpleasant surprise.

AIUI most of the character options weren’t in the beta, or were different between beta and release, so I don’t think that plan was going to work out anyway.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Wait, so the full release is tomorrow? Not early access? I thought this was still a ways off.

Its like that Ubisoft Avatar game again; didn't know it was coming out so soon.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Unlucky7 posted:

Wait, so the full release is tomorrow? Not early access? I thought this was still a ways off.

Its like that Ubisoft Avatar game again; didn't know it was coming out so soon.

I mean, early access has functionally been running for most of the year, you just had to buy into it from owlcat's website rather than directly through stream.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Clerical Terrors posted:

The PC Gamer review has a racist dogwhistle implying they wish it had been developed by Real Whites and not Unclean Bastard Russians

HTH

(No but I seriously wonder about how Owlcat's origins influence how they get reviewed and that reference to Bioware, a company that has been utterly irrelevant in the space for a decade, set off every alarm bell I have)

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Thankfully PoE has a new league on Friday and then I have 2 months of laying on a beach before i start my playthrough so hopefully everything will be fixed come March.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah going "I wish Bioware had developed this game instead" in a monkeys paw metaphor is very odd cause that's basically saying you wish it had been a teaser trailer and then never came out?

The review could be on the money of course and just have picked a tone that came across badly. I plunked down the cash as a Christmas present for myself anyway so I'll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

the panacea posted:

I remember the devs saying they are planning to integrate steam workshop for mods.

Nice, if they do workshop integration, then steam is an easy choice, thanks.