Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Amazing stuff as the government publishes their "Rwanda is safe bill" immediately prompting Rwanda to say they will pull out as it breaches international law.

Also the immigration minister resigned.

And Rwanda did this just after we gave them that extra £140m too

e: 23 is the smallest positive solution to Sunzi's original formulation of the Chinese remainder theorem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Lefty Sunak: Giving millions to a Commonwealth friend in Africa for affordable housing and getting nothing in return 🫡

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

fuctifino posted:

And Rwanda did this just after we gave them that extra £140m too

e: 23 is the smallest positive solution to Sunzi's original formulation of the Chinese remainder theorem.

Rwanda playing the british government for absolute chumps has honestly been excellent.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Big lol that Jenrick seems to have resigned while the new immigration bill is being read in Parliament

https://twitter.com/benrileysmith/status/1732467766999781812

e: now with video https://twitter.com/breeallegretti/status/1732467897887277528

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Weren't they playing him on the radio yesterday with the rwandan minister saying how great it is lmao?

World class negotiators.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I wish my mum was still alive to see the slow death of her beloved party

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I'm being enormously dense - I can't see anything about Rwanda sacking off the new arrangement?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I'm being enormously dense - I can't see anything about Rwanda sacking off the new arrangement?

They haven't... yet.

https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1732453413210730743

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

The Tories spent most of my voting life, post Thatch, tearing themselves apart with vicious factional warfare over Europe. The nutter wing finally got everything they’d ever dreamt of in a hard Brexit and then just moved straight on to another brutal factional war over immigration.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

It's official :toot:

https://twitter.com/thetimes/status/1732469468339503520

lol and lmao

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Mr Biruta, you don't understand. Vince from Swindon says the deal has to go ahead, because we've been talking about it for so long and it'd look weak if we backed down now.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There is something deeply, darkly funny about the UK paying millions of pounds to apply for an immigration agreement with Rwanda only for them to go "thanks for the money, application denied"

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

when I realised it's a guy from Swindon I briefly wondered if Carl of Swindon, aka Carlgon of Sad, was the guy's son or grandson

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

There is something deeply, darkly funny about the UK paying millions of pounds to apply for an immigration agreement with Rwanda only for them to go "thanks for the money, application denied"
That's what happens when they don't follow the law.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Rishi should look into bribing human smugglers to hide people in lorries heading to Rwanda instead of UK. Might work?

e: or direct small boats to Ireland somehow

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Congratulations to Rishi for being so utterly grim and pathetic that he’s managed to knock Boris being hauled over the coals off the top spot on the news

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

smellmycheese posted:

Congratulations to Rishi for being so utterly grim and pathetic that he’s managed to knock Boris being hauled over the coals off the top spot on the news

don't forget that the media is, almost to a person, dedicated to sucking bojo's dick and that's the whole reason he was prime minister and helped him win in 2019

his cuntiness dropping out of the news is not necessarily organic

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I dunno I feel like this is an impressive level of embarassment for a government. Possibly worse than May's repeated fuckups with the EU because at least you could see those coming a mile off, this feels like Rwanda just completely took the tories for a ride.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

OwlFancier posted:

I dunno I feel like this is an impressive level of embarassment for a government. Possibly worse than May's repeated fuckups with the EU because at least you could see those coming a mile off, this feels like Rwanda just completely took the tories for a ride.

The levels of incompetence the Tories keep managing to reach is honestly amazing. Every single turn there's more and more coming.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

This is the first one I've been able to actually laugh at though in a long time, as hopefully it might kill the policy and it's not really making things worse for everyone else.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

OwlFancier posted:

This is the first one I've been able to actually laugh at though in a long time, as hopefully it might kill the policy and it's not really making things worse for everyone else.

I found this tweet from yesterday while scrolling for more info, and lol'd hard

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1731958731712119221

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pubd-spHN-0

You'd think by some point they'd try somewhere else other than Rwanda.

Or was Rwanda the one place that they thought was poor and desperate and stupid enough to roll over for the Tories and fell greedily into the loving oldest "well just a couple more million for the houses and then we'll definitely be ready to proceed with the agreement" trick?

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Makes Jenrick’s resignation particularly funny as he’s apparently refining because the bill doesn’t clearly break international law. So if they passed the bill he wanted the whole scheme would fall apart anyway.

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

FiftySeven posted:

This entire situation has me so loving angry and worried, my partner had an anxiety attack last night and was questioning if she even wanted to come to the UK to live with me considering how unwelcoming the UK has become. She is going for her Biometrics today and we have already sunk a chunk of money into this process, and honestly, I dont have anything to say to make her feel better about this. I still think the UK is a better option than the US, given the healthcare costs and other societal issues the US has, and the fact that I run a business and its not transferable. But that said, the lack of clarity on all of this leads me to ask, are we just wasting our time and money? Would Labour be likely to reverse all of this horrible poo poo if it does go through? Will it stand any chance of not being challenged and blocked in court?

I just dont know.

For personal reasons, I feel that the UK is a better choice than the US for my wife and I, but if we were looking at the situation again in today's landscape it would be a hard call. I literally can not believe that these changes will go through as stated, but I also can't believe anyone will have the integrity to actually stop them. If you don't feel like you'll be able to 100% meet the new requirements for the foreseeable future (including random job loss, etc) it might just be best to wait and see what happens; in my opinion uprooting to a new country can be really hard for the first year or more, and doing that just to be forcibly uprooted again in a few years at renewal time sounds like absolute hell.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Guavanaut posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pubd-spHN-0

You'd think by some point they'd try somewhere else other than Rwanda.

Or was Rwanda the one place that they thought was poor and desperate and stupid enough to roll over for the Tories and fell greedily into the loving oldest "well just a couple more million for the houses and then we'll definitely be ready to proceed with the agreement" trick?

Calling it now: The government announces a new bill tomorrow officially recognising the Principality of Sealand in return for an asylum treaty. Wouldn't be much more bizarre than what they're currently trying.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/RobertJenrick/status/1732481602158985424

His letter in full (I haven't read it)

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

They’re gonna do it. Standby for another leadership election.

The Donut
Aug 28, 2008

Zelensky's Zealots
Soiled Meat
Was this Cruella's plan all along? Is Jenrick one of her true believers? Will she swoop in on a giant goose and seize the Iron Throne of Downing Street?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Ah that's why the seats are dark green, the iron is the form found in poo poo.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

The Donut posted:

Was this Cruella's plan all along? Is Jenrick one of her true believers? Will she swoop in on a giant goose and seize the Iron Throne of Downing Street?

Nah. Remember Jenrick is the guy who ordered the Disney murals be painted over so foreign kids remain fearful and unsafe in the UK.
If its a Suellla's 10 dimensonal master plan, its not good getting one of your own to resign.

grobbo
May 29, 2014
2019: "We need a leader who will finally deliver on Brexit!"

2023: "We need a leader who will finally deliver on Rwanda!"

2028: "We need a leader who will finally deliver on, oh, gently caress, what insane and unworkable thing did we insist on to placate the lunatic fringe? It says here 'A Thatcher Gundam to patrol the Channel, blowing up small boats with her chest-bazookas?' That doesn't even make sense. Anyway, it's become clear that the British public want a true Conservative Prime Minister with the will and courage to enslave and assemble the innumerable labour-hordes required to build Gundam Thatcher."

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Sunak met with the 1922 committee. Rumours on twitter say that there are enough letters to force his resignation

We could get our 4th PM in this election cycle, and I've lost count how many different ministers we've had in that time

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 6, 2023

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

happyhippy posted:

Nah. Remember Jenrick is the guy who ordered the Disney murals be painted over so foreign kids remain fearful and unsafe in the UK.
If its a Suellla's 10 dimensonal master plan, its not good getting one of your own to resign.

Disagree. The headbangers are absolutely nutty enough to think it’s worth another roll of the dice and ditch Sunak for Suella before they have to go to the vote.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

We would have gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for those woke Rwandans

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

fuctifino posted:

Sunak met with the 1922 committee. Rumours on twitter say that there are enough letters to force his resignation

We could get our 4th PM in this election cycle, and I've lost count how many different ministers we've had in that time

If Starmer brought in a "three PMs in a single Parliament and you have to have an election" law I'd actually loving vote for him

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The Fixed Term Parliament Act could have been decent, but it was just overridden by total stupid poo poo in 2019, less than a decade later, proving that "no parliament can bind a future one" might sometimes be a case for having something that can.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Wachter posted:

We would have gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for those woke Rwandans

Grate Britane being schooled in International Human Rights by a country that saw one of the most grotesque genocides in living memory. Fantastic stuff.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
You’d think the Dutch election would have been a lesson on what happens when the ‘mainstream’ conservative party tries to prevent defections to the far right party by saying the far right party are 100% right about the existential threat posed to society by immigrant hordes and centering an election campaign around ‘we’ll take extreme measures to save our country, but not as extreme as the far right are promising’, but I guess not.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Guavanaut posted:

The Fixed Term Parliament Act could have been decent, but it was just overridden by total stupid poo poo in 2019, less than a decade later, proving that "no parliament can bind a future one" might sometimes be a case for having something that can.

The FTPA was brought in because the coalition was terrified it'd fall apart and the Lib Dems didn't want to give up their minuscule amount of power. Giving the government an absolutely mandated 5 years in charge is stupid (as the Tories are currently proving).

The problem with the current Tory party is they've gotten so deep into the muck they know they're at risk of losing the vast majority of their seats so they're never going to vote for no confidence. They just keep digging deeper and deeper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Maybe parliamentary convention could have a rule of funny like SA, where it was bad but forcing them to sit in their own poo poo soiled briefs for a few years longer in 2019 would have been very worth it, especially if they spent the whole time cursing Nick Clegg, rather than just being able to loophole it with a simple majority.