Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DefensiveLockout
Feb 18, 2022

ihatepants posted:

I doubt it. There have been so many rumors of the Padres wanting to throw in Grisham and his $5M in the deal with Soto. Why would they want to take Verdugo's larger $9M salary?
Looking at Taylor and similar folks are projected to receive as FA, seems way more likely that the Pads are dangling the consistently 2 WAR Grisham as a piece with actual value rather than the salary dump Yankee media has been rumoring about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Most reports are that the Padres have to get down to $200 million and are sitting 180-190 with Soto. They'll be able to afford to replace him.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Sorry football, this Sunday is Ohtani Day

https://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/status/1732457144018964707?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Are the angles even making an offer ?

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Before the trade becomes official, I'd like to congratulate the Yankees on their first step towards shattering one of baseball's most unbreakable records:

If they manage to extend Soto, they'll be wasting the primes of 3 of the game's best players at once, surpassing even the Angels.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Paracaidas posted:

Before the trade becomes official, I'd like to congratulate the Yankees on their first step towards shattering one of baseball's most unbreakable records:

If they manage to extend Soto, they'll be wasting the primes of 3 of the game's best players at once, surpassing even the Angels.

cope!

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

If the Phils don't sign Yamamoto I'm pretty much out on next season because doing what more or less amounts to nothing only makes them worse

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Listening to Joe Posnanski and Mike Shur talk about baseball from several weeks ago and they brought up the idea of “doing a Smoltz” with deGrom by making him a closer, under the assumption that this would keep him healthy.

The more I think about it the more sense that makes. Specifically I think it might be deGrom’s best shot at the Hall of Fame. Smoltz had 43 WAR before he moved to the pen, deGrom is at 42 right now. Of course Smoltz did go back to the rotation for 3 strong years in his late 30’s which did the bulk of the work of getting over 60 WAR for his career. But narratively, if deGrom could put up say 6-8 dominant season as a closer voters might eat it up and put him over the edge.

Who knows if that would actually keep him healthy but it’d be interesting to see.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004
The Royals did a thing!

They dumped one of their only decent relievers (Dylan Coleman) to the Astros for cash to open a 40 man spot before the Rule 5 (well, decent in 2022. He put up a ERA over 8.00 this year)

:effort:

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

bawfuls posted:

Listening to Joe Posnanski and Mike Shur talk about baseball from several weeks ago and they brought up the idea of “doing a Smoltz” with deGrom by making him a closer, under the assumption that this would keep him healthy.

My thought is that a closer isn't worth $40m a year so the Rangers would be better off hoping he can start and collecting the insurance when his arm blows up again. But then I remembered that the Rangers didn't insure his contract lol

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
https://x.com/billplunkettocr/status/1732462039077904595?s=20

I say this as a Dodgers fan but Yappasaurus Rex Dave Roberts singlehandedly derailing the negotiations of the biggest free-agent signing of the century for the Dodgers would be so loving funny. Even if Shohei had planned on signing with Toronto all along he's going to have to get his camp to release a statement to let Dave off the hook.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I missed that, what's Dave supposed to have done to tank the deal? Just revealing the meeting?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

zoux posted:

I missed that, what's Dave supposed to have done to tank the deal? Just revealing the meeting?

he literally had one job and that job was to shut the gently caress up for a few days

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Reinsdorc apparently met with the mayor of Nashville during the winter meetings.

E: I'm leaving the typo

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

MaoistBanker posted:

I say this as a Dodgers fan but Yappasaurus Rex Dave Roberts singlehandedly derailing the negotiations of the biggest free-agent signing of the century for the Dodgers would be so loving funny. Even if Shohei had planned on signing with Toronto all along he's going to have to get his camp to release a statement to let Dave off the hook.

It would be very funny if Ohtani doesn't sign with the Dodgers because he's pissed about a Dave Roberts throwaway comment.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!

zoux posted:

There's been a bit of dumb mania surrounding Shohei meeting with teams and for reasons (cultural/respect/assholery) etc they've indicated that any team that leaks information about Shohei meeting with clubs will be "punished" and I mean who knows exactly what that entails.

Dave Roberts simply acknowledged that yes the team and he met with Ohtani last week and he divulged nothing besides the fact that they did and he liked meeting with him and now apparently Dave might be Dodgers Enemy #1.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

zoux posted:

Pretty much. The reason actual concrete details around Ohtani's negotiations have been so few and far between is because his camp apparently told teams not to reveal any details whatsoever about what's going on to the media, and that doing so would be held against them in Ohtani making his final determination of where to sign. So everybody has been extremely coy with the media about how things are going and if they met and what they met about, Roberts saying something as simple as "yeah we met with him on [date] and it went well I think" is more than anybody has given yet.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

MaoistBanker posted:

There's been a bit of dumb mania surrounding Shohei meeting with teams and for reasons (cultural/respect/assholery) etc they've indicated that any team that leaks information about Shohei meeting with clubs will be "punished" and I mean who knows exactly what that entails.

Dave Roberts simply acknowledged that yes the team and he met with Ohtani last week and he divulged nothing besides the fact that they did and he liked meeting with him and now apparently Dave might be Dodgers Enemy #1.

good

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The GM of the Blue Jays admitted that he met with Ohtani in Dunedin like the same day that Roberts made those comments

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

The GM of the Blue Jays admitted that he met with Ohtani in Dunedin like the same day that Roberts made those comments

Ross Atkins has never said a directly true thing in his entire life.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

That's it, Shohei should sign with nobody.

MaoistBanker posted:

Now?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

General Dog posted:

How many titles do they need? The Rangers could let everyone go now and go another 30 years without a title before I start checking my watch again.

On the flip side, I could live happily denying Astros the American League pennant a handful more times. As far as runner up prizes go that's still pretty goddamn shiny.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Roberts didn't read The Chrysanthemum and the Sword.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004
Rule 5 draft has started

1 A's (39) -- RHP Mitch Spence (NYY)
2 Royals (39) -- RHP Sauer, Matt (NYY)
3 Rockies (39) -- RHP Molina, Anthony (TB)
4 White Sox (39) -- LHP Drohan, Shane (BOS)

What's a Matt Sauer and will he be anything?

(He won't be anything)

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

MaoistBanker posted:

Baseball media is for sure desperate but Gomes yesterday and Friedman today both made the hysteria worse by saying they were surprised by Dave’s comments.

I refuse to believe Ohtani is torn between the Dodgers and somewhere else but Dave’s comments yesterday put him over the edge, it’s an absurd proposition. Narratively the idea is of course hilarious but cmon now.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

bawfuls posted:

Baseball media is for sure desperate but Gomes yesterday and Friedman today both made the hysteria worse by saying they were surprised by Dave’s comments.

I refuse to believe Ohtani is torn between the Dodgers and somewhere else but Dave’s comments yesterday put him over the edge, it’s an absurd proposition. Narratively the idea is of course hilarious but cmon now.

If you assume it's Dodgers and the field, sure. But if if it's an even playing field, the manager of one team not following one simple instruction is worth taking into consideration.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

bawfuls posted:

He will sign with the Jays for more money than the Dodgers offered and the worst fans will pin all the blame on Dave, it's inevitable.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/IamTrevorMay/status/1732477399290572961

Trev got the card! The MLB gold card is such a cool idea. I mean from a fan perspective, idk how much ex-ballplayers wanna go sit in the stands at ballpark.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Exodor posted:

Rule 5 draft has started

1 A's (39) -- RHP Mitch Spence (NYY)
2 Royals (39) -- RHP Sauer, Matt (NYY)
3 Rockies (39) -- RHP Molina, Anthony (TB)
4 White Sox (39) -- LHP Drohan, Shane (BOS)

What's a Matt Sauer and will he be anything?

(He won't be anything)
Sauer was a prospect with the Yankees who was hurt a lot. His numbers in the minors are not great but i guess a team like the Royals can keep him in the bullpen

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

what do you figure they get as a posting fee for her?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Rule 5 MLB portion

MLB.com posted:

A's (39) -- RHP Mitch Spence (NYY)
Royals (39) -- RHP Matt Sauer (NYY)
Rockies (39) -- RHP Anthony Molina (TB)
White Sox (39) -- LHP Shane Drohan (BOS)
Nationals (38) -- SS Nasim Nuñez (MIA)
Cardinals (39) -- RHP Ryan Fernandez (BOS)
Angels (39) -- pass
Mets (34) -- RHP Justin Slaten (TEX)
Pirates (39) -- pass
Guardians (39) -- 3B Deyvison De Los Santos (AZ)
Tigers (38) -- pass
Red Sox (37) -- pass
Giants (36) -- pass
Reds (39) -- pass
Padres (31) -- RHP Stephen Kolek (SEA)
Yankees (37) -- pass
Cubs (37) -- pass
Marlins (39) -- pass
D-backs (38) -- pass
Twins (36) -- pass
Mariners (36) -- pass
Blue Jays (37) -- pass
Rangers (35) -- RHP Carson Coleman (NYY)
Phillies (38) -- pass
Astros (39) -- pass
Brewers (36) -- pass
Rays (40) -- pass
Dodgers (40) -- pass
Orioles (36) -- pass
Braves (34) -- pass

Rule 5, Minor League R1

MLB.com posted:

A's -- pass
Royals -- OF Joe Gray (MIL)
Rockies -- RHP Brendan Hardy (NYM)
White Sox -- RHP Jose Ramirez (BOS)
Nationals -- RHP Samuel Vasquez (CLE)
Cardinals -- INF Johnfrank Salazar (BOS)
Angels -- 1B Eric Wagaman (NYY)
Mets -- C Donovan Antonia (CIN)
Pirates -- RHP Fineas Del Bonta-Smith (COL)
Guardians -- RHP Ty Brown (HOU)
Tigers -- RHP Nick Starr (TEX)
Red Sox -- C Michael Gasper (NYY)
Giants -- RHP Nick Garcia (COL)
Reds -- LHP TJ Sikkema (KC)
Padres -- SS Clay Dungan (KC)
Yankees -- RHP Gabriel Barbosa (COL)
Cubs -- 2B Hayden Cantrelle (SF)
Marlins -- OF Yeral Martinez (NYM)
D-backs -- RHP Darlin Pinales (LAD)
Twins -- LHP Rafael Marcano (PHI)
Mariners -- pass
Blue Jays -- OF Alexis Hernandez (BOS)
Rangers -- pass
Phillies -- C William Simoneit (PHI)
Astros -- RHP Railin Perez (BOS)
Brewers -- pass
Rays -- RHP Michael Gomez (NYY)
Dodgers -- pass
Orioles -- RHP Nelvis Ochoa (COL)
Braves -- LHP Tyler Thomas (NYM)/quote]

R2

[quote="MLB.com"]
Royals -- LHP Keylan Kilgore (PHI)
Rockies -- RHP Thomas Ponticelli (CLE)
White Sox -- pass
Nationals -- RHP Wander Arias (KC)
Cardinals -- SS Miguel Villarroel (TEX)
Angels -- RHP Ryan Miller (BOS)
Mets -- RHP Alan Perdomo (COL)
Pirates -- 1B Seth Beer (AZ)
Guardians -- RHP Connor Gillaspie (BAL)
Tigers -- RHP Calvin Coker (OAK)
Red Sox -- pass
Giants -- SS Dariel Lopez (PIT)
Reds -- LF Alexander Ovalles (TB)
Padres -- LHP Omar Cruz (PIT)
Yankees -- RHP Kervin Castro (HOU)
Cubs -- pass
Marlins -- OF Marty Costes (HOU)
D-backs -- 2B Andy Weber (CHC)
Twins -- C Rafael Escalante (PIT)
Blue Jays -- pass
Phillies -- C Luis Caicuto (AZ)
Astros -- RHP Carlos Betancourt (PHI)
Rays -- RHP Roelmy Garcia (PIT)
Orioles -- pass
Braves -- pass

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Traxis posted:

He will sign with the Jays for more money than the Dodgers offered and the worst fans will pin all the blame on Dave, it's inevitable.

Sounds like the perfect ending!!!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Rule 5 MLB portion

Rule 5, Minor League R1

Seth Beer to the Pirates!

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

He's gonna sign with the Cubs and trump will lose next year because they ran out of money to campaign in the Midwest.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Mustached Demon posted:

He's gonna sign with the Cubs and trump will lose next year because they ran out of money to campaign in the Midwest.

So everybody wins? Sign me up!

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

zoux posted:

Seth Beer to the Pirates!

I remember when he hit his second (and last, so far) MLB HR it was on National Beer Day and it was a walk-off.

Also just only ever play him in one game per season. He gets a HR in every first game of the season that he plays! :haw:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I forgot Seth Beer was still around

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

live with fruit posted:

If you assume it's Dodgers and the field, sure. But if if it's an even playing field, the manager of one team not following one simple instruction is worth taking into consideration.
I disagree, I don’t think Dave’s very boring comments yesterday are going to be the deciding factor. They will absolutely be interpreted as such if the Dodgers don’t sign him now, of course.

Traxis posted:

Dave is an absolutely elite talent when it comes to taking heat off other parts of the organization, be it players, front office, or ownership. Hope he gets a raise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
You know you pay way too much attention to your team when you're familiar with a guy they just lost in the second round of the MiLB portion of the Rule 5 draft, lmao.