Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Eifert Posting posted:

What specifically was this? I would check their website but I don't necessarily want to give them traffic because I'm checking to see what racist thing they said, seems like potentially rewarding bad behavior.

Edit: If you ask me which RPG company I would least want to make something 40K bioware would be my instant reaction. Bethesda would also be awful.

they're having a paranoid freak out because the reviewer says he wishes it was a Bioware game instead, for the assumption it would be in a better state

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

overly complicated games is a dogwhistle about russians

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

pentyne posted:

they're having a paranoid freak out because the reviewer says he wishes it was a Bioware game instead, for the assumption it would be in a better state

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
this is the screaming racist passage in question

quote:

When we wrote about our dream 40K games three years ago, my first pick was "A narrative RPG about a Rogue Trader". I got my wish, but the monkey's paw curled and it's been made by Owlcat instead of BioWare, and that means quality writing and depth balanced by questionable encounter design and overcomplicated systems. We'll get to that later on.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
^^^^^^^
I don't consume enough games journalism these days to recognize that as an obvious dogwhistle but I could see it. My immediate assumption would be this guy has some sort of problem with Owlcat specifically, but if that's a criticism commonly used against other Russian game developers, yeah, fair enough.

BioWare has a very unique style of RPG development that I wouldn't necessarily call national, however I can't imagine a less suitable experience for 40K than anything approaching what they've done when it comes to game design, tone, scale, or characterization so hell maybe they've got something.

"I wish this game was made by another developer" seems like a staggeringly disrespectful thing to put in a review though.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Dec 6, 2023

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

thebardyspoon posted:

They express dislike of the wordiness and number of talents/passives and such that can be in effect at once or picked during level up as their main issue with the non combat parts of the game

Unfortunately that's just truth in adaptation. Rogue Trader has so many rules, and they're so poorly worded you often can't tell how they're supposed to work

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Wishing the game was made by Bioware, is enough to dismiss the review outright.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Eifert Posting posted:

^^^^^^^
I don't consume enough games journalism these days to recognize that as an obvious dogwhistle but I could see it. My immediate assumption would be this guy has some sort of problem with Owlcat specifically, but if that's a criticism common used against other Russian game developers, yeah, fair enough.

BioWare has a very unique style of RPG development that I wouldn't necessarily call national, however I can't imagine a less suitable experience for 40K than anything approaching what they've done when it comes to game design, tone, scale, or characterization so hell maybe they've got something.

"I wish this game was made by another developer" seems like a staggeringly disrespectful thing to put in a review though.

It's just a callback to this article where he said "Mass Effect 2 but 40k" would be his dream 40k game.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
the guy who writes like...2 reviews a year for PC gamer making a comment he wishes his favorite rpg company made the game he imagines in his head instead is not some secret racism its just a sign of being a mediocre reviewer, especially since the last 2 games Bioware put out were roundly mocked for being flawed and buggy at launch and they're going on 10+years since their last flagship IP rpg release title.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Further Reading posted:

It's just a callback to this article where he said "Mass Effect 2 but 40k" would be his dream 40k game.

Ick. I guess it would at least be short because there's no way the Shepherd stand in wouldn't get his brain ventilated 20 minutes into the game the way BioWare characters act.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Eifert Posting posted:

Ick. I guess it would at least be short because there's no way the Shepherd stand in wouldn't get his brain ventilated 20 minutes into the game the way BioWare characters act.

The Andromeda crew fit right in with the forces of Chaos though.

https://i.imgur.com/1UY5jTD.mp4

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
How is Bioware still around? Andromeda was so lack luster, I never played Anthem but it seemed like a real snooze fest.

I guess DA: Inquisition was alright

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Bioware isn't still around, EA just owns the name. It's been 15 years since Mass Effect and Dragon Age. Those people all left during or after the DA2/ME3 death march.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

holy gently caress get me into this game NOW

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Popete posted:

How is Bioware still around? Andromeda was so lack luster, I never played Anthem but it seemed like a real snooze fest.

Death throes and the promise of maybe Dragon Age 4 which would need to sell 10 million copies in the first year to justify all the delays and costs.

Also 'Mass Effect 4' which is little more then marketing buzz at this point.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

Popete posted:

Bioware stopped being a single studio and became a brand wholly owned by EA over a decade ago. Most of the studios that were put under the brand have been unceremoniously killed off and the two main studios in Edmonton and Austin have supposedly been working on new Dragon Age and Mass Effect games.

Except most of the senior staff has since left and the DA game seems to be in development hell since 2015 so it's not unthinkable they'll just be permanently shuttered in the near future.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

frajaq posted:

holy gently caress get me into this game NOW

:emptyquote:

I must be a nice-making pyromaniac. I must.

Also, yes, Argle and Clerical have the right of it; the "BioWare" that made the classic RPGs you love of the 90s and 2000s is long dead, with every single major creative lead, and a shitload of the "line" creatives, having left in the DA:I and Anthem death marches or otherwise driven off by Electronic Arts executives. "BioWare" is a dead brand of EA in 2023. Which is why I'm so wary about how it was used in that review, even with that existing "40K as ME2 would be the bestest!" article.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Eifert Posting posted:

^^^^^^^
I don't consume enough games journalism these days to recognize that as an obvious dogwhistle but I could see it. My immediate assumption would be this guy has some sort of problem with Owlcat specifically, but if that's a criticism commonly used against other Russian game developers, yeah, fair enough.

But overcomplicated systems IS Owlcats whole shitck. No one picked up the Pathfinder games and thought 'This is simple'

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

pentyne posted:

the guy who writes like...2 reviews a year for PC gamer making a comment he wishes his favorite rpg company made the game he imagines in his head instead is not some secret racism its just a sign of being a mediocre reviewer, especially since the last 2 games Bioware put out were roundly mocked for being flawed and buggy at launch and they're going on 10+years since their last flagship IP rpg release title.

Yeah, Jesus Christ people stop being insane tia

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

sebmojo posted:

This is a Warhammer thread.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
some of us are just so hype for rogue trader we are immersing ourselves into the world by seeing xenophobia everywhere

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Pattonesque posted:

playing WOTR is like a TTRPG game where the DM is incredible at character work and worldbuilding but can only make encounters difficult by tripling all the numbers

"you fail to overcome the zombie's spell resistance and he hits you seven times for 40 damage each. There are 14 more zombies in the initiative order before you can go" repeated for 100 hours

this is literally my experience in actual ttrpg wotr though, everything from the books got the juice up because otherwise we just walked sleepwalked through every challenge.

one time someone whined about how hard things were so the dm rolled his eyes and ran baphomet straight from the book and we one-rounded him with half of us not even contributing to the fight.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Weirdly enough 40k as a brand is now wildly unfriendly to the casual fascist and after a deluge of hate for some minor pride social media post the compnay basically said "lol get hosed" to the people mad about wokeness and gay rights.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

To get away from some of these posts, going by a different review the reviewer was widely positive but did cite a few bugs. It was overall fine, but there were a (very) few major bugs they encountered, plus obviously a number of more minor ones. They finished by mentioning they'd hold off on a final opinion because Owlcat has already promised a Day 1 patch to deal with bugs encountered in the reviewer copy (which was really just a late stage beta copy, not the actual full release version). Aside from that though, it was widely positive wording.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
They were forced to make a statement after a neo nazi called "Austrian painter" , sporting a shirt with various Neo Nazi patches (eg black sun / schwarze Sonne), showed up to the largest tournament in Spain and did not get booted by the people running the event.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

pentyne posted:

Weirdly enough 40k as a brand is now wildly unfriendly to the casual fascist and after a deluge of hate for some minor pride social media post the compnay basically said "lol get hosed" to the people mad about wokeness and gay rights.

The 40K setting was always meant to lampshade authoritarian, fascist hell holes. The problem is fascists fundamentally don't get artistic expression. Online right wing assholes embrace 40K because they don't understand that the entire thing is a joke at their expense.

Games workshop has had plenty of stumbles from being an English company run by pretty much exclusively lilly-white English people; but they were never intending to do anything less than directly mock religious extremists and fascists.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Fascists are world champion dumb guys. Remember that one time they picked a fight with the whole planet and were surprised when they lost?

They can't even figure out that they're stanning nightmare dystopia with the God-Emperor stuff.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
They've structured the difficulty a bit more sensibly, getting rid of "core" and just have Story, Normal, Daring, Hard, Unfair.

Daring appears to be where the difficulty sliders are set to neutral so everything is rules as written.

Unfair just looks pretty rough even if it looks way less of a enemy stat boost then they did for WOTR. Normal is basically the inverse of unfair as well.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Eifert Posting posted:

The 40K setting was always meant to lampshade authoritarian, fascist hell holes. The problem is fascists fundamentally don't get artistic expression. Online right wing assholes embrace 40K because they don't understand that the entire thing is a joke at their expense.

More to the point, like a lot of things born in its era, Priestly's original WH40K Rogue Trader had a lot of satire of Thatcherite Britain. The original, original depiction of Space Marines was Just Cops. They were Thatcher-era cops, Orks were soccer hooligans, Eldar were metal punks (and, helmless, looked the part), et cetera. There were plenty of other influences in the blender (the original original original idea had been an RPG much closer to what this very game and the Rogue Trader TT of 2008 was) but the vein of unsubtle mockery of the direction Thatcherite Britain seemed to be trending in was there from the start. (The 'Nids and Genestealers are a weird example, having come along a bit later in development of the line; the Tyranids have always just been classic Bug War aliens, but the early Genestealer Cults were really unsubtle parodies of 80s/early 90s American televangelism, which was a somewhat different phenomenon from expressions of that grift that Britain and wider Europe saw. The OG Cults had the leaders rolling around in barely-disguised Rolls Royces, for example, if I'm remembering this right.)

They began walking back being too hard on the Marines as early as Book of the Astronomican, but until 2nd Edition, the current was still there. It was only 2nd where it started to fade a good bit, and I don't think it's coincidence that 3rd edition, which was when the Grim Darkness began getting played up unironically with the humor trimmed back, and which by happenstance hit the market just ahead of the changes that'd come to the culture of the anglosphere in 2001 and 2002, saw the first really enormous burst of wannabe fash interest in the game.

By that point, the satire could be gone, and it really depended, from writer to writer, how much they "got" the original concept of 40K and tried or bothered to implement it.

From preview footage and some of the review testimonials, it sounds like the Owlcat writing team falls into the Gets It camp, and I'm excited to see exactly what they've done.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Dec 7, 2023

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I'm pretty hopeful about bugs tomorrow since WoTR released in a dramatically better state compared to Kingmaker. Hopefully they made another solid improvement in their QA process, but there's no getting around that these absurdly complicated crpgs are just hell to test and fix properly.

Except for BG3 their two games are my favorite crpgs of the last couple decades and in my top 10 all time. I'm loving hyped. Otherwise I know basically nothing about this game.

I'm not terribly enthusiastic about the 40k lore anymore but I did enjoy some of the books and I went into Kingmaker completely ignorant of Pathfinder. How much is it about corruption stuff? I've found that a tedious device in some WH stuff since it's usually uninteresting (either random like oops using the wrong condiment made me CORRUPT or someone acting surprised that war criming their own family was a chaos plot leaving them CORRUPTED).

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Honestly it's extremely about corruption stuff and yet somehow far more intelligent with it than Blizzard corruption

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

There was a night and day difference between WoTR beta and WoTR on launch day, so I'm looking forward to a similar level of polish and stability here :hai:

I really liked what I played of the beta and I'm hella excited for tomorrow. Lots of neat twists on the standard CRPG formula without deviating so much that it becomes unrecognizable, and it seems like the secondary systems aren't as janky in this as they were in the Pathfinder games.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

toasterwarrior posted:

Honestly it's extremely about corruption stuff and yet somehow far more intelligent with it than Blizzard corruption

My tabletop rogue trader players are all about burning the heretic and destroying the alien... until it comes time to burn the corrupt treasure and the destroy the cool alien gizmos. I have a group of players who run away giggling from anything that glows blue (because anything blue is Tzeench apparently) but decided to keep a collection of cursed scrolls and a sorceror's tome bound in human skin as well as huge jars of alien mummies with weird psychic devices. This is justifiable because: they are worth a lot of money.

So RT supports the normal everyday sort of corruption where your morals are very important until there's money involved.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Dec 7, 2023

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

sebmojo posted:

Inquisitor Felroth Gelt posted:

Only the insane have strength enough to prosper, and only those who prosper may judge what is sane.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I enjoyed kingdom management in both PF games but that knock off HoMM combat in WoTR was rough as gently caress. It's a shame they never significantly improved it with patches or dlc because it wasn't a problem technically or in abstract just the incredibly wonky balance and recruit system. The idea of a little breezy Heroes combat to sell the fantasy that you are leading an army instead of a party of adventurers was a fine one.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

the crusader fights were so hosed up it felt like they got literally no play testing

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
"blessed is the mind too small for doubt" is a banger

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Finding out the HOMM mode was built by people who made loving HOMMV was the saddest revelation I've had recently, because HOMMV IMO is the pinnacle of that series in terms of gameplay. What a fall from grace...

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Zokari posted:

the crusader fights were so hosed up it felt like they got literally no play testing

we said it sucked and in response they nerfed all the things that at least let you speed through it as quick as possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

my favorite thing was completing a quest and being rewarded with some special unique unit that would then be killed instantly in the first fight because they only gave you like 5 of them