Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Was it Jake Roberts who got clobbered by an ungimmicked guitar because some production assistant thought "well Vince would want the best?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Honky Tonk definitely hit Jake with a real guitar and hosed his neck up real bad. But I've never heard a definite reason why they gave him a real guitar. Jake once said "Nobody was thinking."

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
And HTM gets real heated anytime someone brings up that he might be responsible

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yeah I'd always heard it as "We do not have a prop guitar for this." "Give him a real guitar who cares"

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Kvlt! posted:

i actually like blading in just normal weekly matches with no big story behind em sometimes because as Mox says wrestling is a combat sport so if people bleed theyre gonna do so randomly, not just during the main cards of PPVs.

100% Agreed.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
If my memory serves I seem to remember an interview where it was mentioned that there was a last minute issue with the guitar (or really the lack therof) and it was pressing to get one to the venue ASAP. An inexperienced assistant was sent frantically to find a guitar from a local pawn shop or music store and the assistant just bought a real resin lacquered (very hard finish meant to protect the instrument from wear and damage) six string guitar in a frenzied haste and the rest is spinal compression history.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Dr. Quarex posted:

Also to keep this more on-topic I was wondering the other day, am I imagining that Trent? or maybe Chuck Taylor once cut a promo like "you may be bigger than me, you may be stronger than me, you may be a better wrestler than me, but .... but ... hmm guess I am going to lose, drat"

It's possible there's one more like that that you're thinking of, but it reminds me of their pre-match interview before OC vs. Wardlow where they talk about how Wardlow is bigger and stronger than OC, actually too big and too strong, so... they're gonna cheat. A lot.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Speaking of best friends.

In the most recent HEY EW! with roderick strong Roderick Strong blames Trent? for having "lovely little boots", any idea what this is about?

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

roderick always rocked lovely little boots in the ring and people would chant it at him.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Suplex Liberace posted:

roderick always rocked lovely little boots in the ring and people would chant it at him.

Was it Kevin Steen who would call him a jiu-jitsu jagoff? I know phrases like that circled around the super self-serious indie guys in the mid 2000s/early 2010s, a lot around Roddy for obvious reasons.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I thought the jiu jitsu jackoff was Davey Richards

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

History Comes Inside! posted:

I thought the jiu jitsu jackoff was Davey Richards

It was

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

i thought it was davey, kyle, bobby, and a fourth im forgetting

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Suplex Liberace posted:

i thought it was davey, kyle, bobby, and a fourth im forgetting

Tony Kozina, who I think now is the head trainer at Fale's dojo

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

My dad didn't believe blading was real until I showed him a picture of Dusty's nasty rear end forehead.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
Brother D-Von would've also sufficed

bicycle
Oct 23, 2013
I'm enjoying going through old ECW Hardcore TV and its funny seeing all the blading because the camerawork obviously isn't as co-ordinated as I'm used to.

Nothing is more egregious than the barbed wire baseball bat matches between ian and axl rotten though. they've got a clawed hand with a blade in it the entire match because at that point gently caress it, why not? and just blading the poo poo out of their arms/head everytime the other rakes them with the bat.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

disaster pastor posted:

It's possible there's one more like that that you're thinking of, but it reminds me of their pre-match interview before OC vs. Wardlow where they talk about how Wardlow is bigger and stronger than OC, actually too big and too strong, so... they're gonna cheat. A lot.

I think this leads to the chainsaw

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Captain Foo posted:

I think this leads to the chainsaw

It does!

Also one of my favorite "kick out after the three-count"s ever: Wardlow pins him, gets up, gets announced as the winner, gets his hand raised, they go to PIP for the replays... and Orange throws his shoulder up at right about the 30-count.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
Has there ever been a botched kickout that actually changed the results of a match? Or at least caused controversy in a non-worked way?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Men on a Mission famously won the WWE tag titles when Mabel landed on the other dude in such a way he couldn't kick out when he was supposed to

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

DeathChicken posted:

Men on a Mission famously won the WWE tag titles when Mabel landed on the other dude in such a way he couldn't kick out when he was supposed to

And they kept paying Nelson Frazier to "wrestle" for the next decade and a half

Edit: TIL they made a KotR belt just for Mabel and then forgot about it?

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Red posted:

And they kept paying Nelson Frazier to "wrestle" for the next decade and a half

Edit: TIL they made a KotR belt just for Mabel and then forgot about it?

TIL about that belt and also that Mabel had it made personally after leaving WWF. It doesn’t have any WWF logos or fonts on it, which meant it could be used without legal issues on the independents.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Ganso Bomb posted:

TIL about that belt and also that Mabel had it made personally after leaving WWF. It doesn’t have any WWF logos or fonts on it, which meant it could be used without legal issues on the independents.

Reg Park apparently made an official one, too

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Dick Bastardly posted:

Has there ever been a botched kickout that actually changed the results of a match? Or at least caused controversy in a non-worked way?

There's the whole Ted Dibiase Jr., "That referee tried to gently caress on me!" story.

There's also Eva Marie situation. After being the dirt worst women's wrestler on WWE's main roster, Eva went back to NXT and they made a big deal about how she was really trying to figure her poo poo out. She had Brian Kendrick training her and the NXT crowd was very supportive and patient with her about this. She was trying and people respected that.

That is, until she failed to kick out during a match she was meant to win. The referee stopped the count to check her shoulders and it was so blatant that the crowd completely turned against it all. They tried to turn it into an angle where the ref was playing favorites and all the "Eva is putting in the effort!" stuff was thrown away.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Dick Bastardly posted:

I feel like there was kind of a rash of these a while back in WWE, to the point where they instituted a policy of "Refs should count even if they know it's not the finish because the kickouts look bad" which led to even more cases of people getting counted down when they weren't supposed to.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

CellBlock posted:

I feel like there was kind of a rash of these a while back in WWE, to the point where they instituted a policy of "Refs should count even if they know it's not the finish because the kickouts look bad" which led to even more cases of people getting counted down when they weren't supposed to.

yes and then they punished the refs for following instructions

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Dick Bastardly posted:

Dana Brooke was in 2 matches with them. One an NXT 4way where Becky just forgot to kick out (or thought someone was gonna break the pin up) and Emma won instead of Charlotte. Another on the main roster vs Bayley where she was supposed to do a feet on the ropes pin and get caught by the ref but hosed up and was too far from the ropes to do this and just won clean instead.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Weren't they giving them bonuses at first? I live by Scott Armstrong; I should ask him the next time I see him getting fish tacos.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
I bet the reactions from the wrestlers were pretty funny, especially from the ones that were supposed to lose. Like trying badly to not look shocked or surprised and sell it.

"What!? I won?.... uh, I mean yeah! I won!"

lol

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Dick Bastardly posted:

I bet the reactions from the wrestlers were pretty funny, especially from the ones that were supposed to lose. Like trying badly to not look shocked or surprised and sell it.

"What!? I won?.... uh, I mean yeah! I won!"

lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYnlchBveyI

Danielson's reaction is priceless

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Has there been any real big fat boys come back after a break and lost a ton of weight? Not like Bigshow slimming down after bloating out on the road, I mean like Vader losing like 200 pounds.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

this isn't what you're after but i still want to post the image once again to "punch sport pagoda."

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Invalid Validation posted:

Has there been any real big fat boys come back after a break and lost a ton of weight? Not like Bigshow slimming down after bloating out on the road, I mean like Vader losing like 200 pounds.

walter

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

shane taylor

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
This is kind of a small question but I'm watching Taz and Jerry Lawler at Unforgiven 2000 and they did the spot in both PPVs where Taz no sells the Kings pile driver. Was there a reason? I never watch any Jerry the king Lawler matches so is this a regular spot he does in his matches or were they doing it for Taz? If they were am I missing something? There seems to be no build up for it or reasoning they give.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I believe Taz is immune to pile drivers, a trait he passed on to his son as well.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Dick Bastardly posted:

Crash Holly was supposed to win the Hardcore Invitational at WrestleMania200016. As I recall, the ending was supposed to have Hardcore Holly pinning him, and the ref counting, but running out of time. Something like starting the 3 count with just 2 seconds left or something like that. Instead, there was just enough time for the ref to count the pin and Hardcore ended up winning.

Because it was just the Hardcore Title, Crash Holly just won the belt off of Hardcore the next night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

On The Internet
Jun 27, 2023

Can someone explain Joshi graduation? I don't watch Joshi wrestling but I like Yuka in AEW. Heard that she just graduated and curious to what that process is like. Did Riho graduate? Shida?