Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Miftan posted:

Your assertion that if Hamas cared about the prisoners' well being they'd just let them go is pretty wild though. If all Hamas wanted was for these people to be comfortable, they wouldn't have kidnapped them in the first place! Also, you can easily turn this argument around and say that Israel is clearly abusing a magnitude more Palestinians that are in Israeli prisons and were basically kidnapped as well. So really we should be pointing this finger at Israel first.

What crimes are Hamas charging the 10-month-old baby with?

I also fail to see how "Israeli prisons are awful" and "Hamas should let their kidnapping victims go" are mutually exclusive opinions. It's a false dichotomy to say only one side can be committing war crimes at a time, especially when the vast majority of that violence is being perpetrated against civilians and not the people engaged in fighting.

Xombie fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Miftan posted:

Sorry, I could have been clearer. I meant that while it's possible that the Israeli hostages are being abused, we've not had any substantive claims beyond 'no food and medicine' which is unavoidable in Gaza right now. I suspect that people who were kidnapped from a modern western country and taken prisoner in a war zone would consider it "physical and psychological torture" even if Hamas just left them in a room with working toilets and enough food, medicine, and water.

Until the released hostages actually say HOW Hamas abuses all their hostages I'm going to assume it's just that yeah, being a hostage in a war zone sucks! There isn't enough food and medicine. That's Israel's fault.

As a reminder, the person I was responding to was claiming that no released hostages stated that they were “tortured or whatever” (in response to someone saying it’s possible Hamas might be covering up abuses). So them going through your definition of abuse isn’t an argument I was trying to make

Kalit fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 6, 2023

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Xombie posted:

What crimes are Hamas charging the 10-month-old baby with?

I also fail to see how "Israeli prisons are awful" and "Hamas should let their kidnapping victims go" are mutually exclusive opinions. It's a false dichotomy to say only one side can be committing war crimes at a time, especially when the vast majority of that violence is being perpetrated against civilians and not the people engaged in fighting.

That 10 month old baby is almost certain to be able to be traded for dozens of Palestinians undergoing an unjust imprisonment and constant physical abuse. If one ignores the ethnicity of those likely to be freed, it strikes me as plainly obvious that the suffering of that baby is outweighed by the suffering of those imprisoned.

Like, why should Hamas let there kidnapping victims go? Those victims are the only chance that the victims of Israeli prisons might see the light of day! Like I get the sense that you clearly think that the act of committing harm is far far worse than the inaction of letting those suffering continue to do so. That honestly strikes me as not being that concerned about the real suffering of real people happening this moment in favor of, for lack of a better term, the moral purity of those involved.

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Dec 6, 2023

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The prisoner releases are largely symbolic since Israel can always arrest more Palestinians, including the people it just released. Over 3000 Palestinians have been arrested since October 7th, compared to the ~300 released during the recent ceasefire.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Do ends justify means? I feel strongly no.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The prisoner releases are largely symbolic since Israel can always arrest more Palestinians, including the people it just released. Over 3000 Palestinians have been arrested since October 7th, compared to the ~300 released during the recent ceasefire.

This is literally the logic of might as well not have any laws because criminals will break laws.

"Might as well not try to free those undergoing imprisonment because the genocidal entity will inflict more harm!"

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

No. 6 posted:

Do ends justify means? I feel strongly no.

Cool, then what justifies any action? If you are convinced that no end can justify any means then do you believe all violence cannot be justified and if so violence can be justified then how do you justify laws and their enforcement?

When you say this you are, intrinscly, arguing against the idea that doing anything can be done for any reason. "The ends justify the means" has always been a matter of degree not one of complete difference.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Dec 6, 2023

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

A big flaming stink posted:

This is literally the logic of might as well not have any laws because criminals will break laws.

"Might as well not try to free those undergoing imprisonment because the genocidal entity will inflict more harm!"

You're arguing Hamas should continue to commit war crimes because there is a hypothetical benefit which outweighs the crime in this circumstance. If the benefit never materializes (it won't, Israel will just take other hostages for future hostage trades/because they have a goal of causing terror onto the Palestinians), maybe continuing to commit the war crimes isn't actually worth it. This exact type of cyclical situation is a good chunk of why taking civilians hostage is a war crime.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

That 10 month old baby is almost certain to be able to be traded for dozens of Palestinians undergoing an unjust imprisonment and constant physical abuse. If one ignores the ethnicity of those likely to be freed, it strikes me as plainly obvious that the suffering of that baby is outweighed by the suffering of those imprisoned.

I'm curious if there's some point where you don't feel the ends justify the means. If they roughed the baby up a little and it got the Israelis to move a bit faster, would it be worth it in your mind?

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

It appears this baby was killed by Israeli bombs, unless there is another one?

And as a reminder, Israel claims it knows with precision who will be killed and the likely “collateral damage”.

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2023/nov/29/hamas-says-10-month-old-hostage-kfir-bibas-was-killed-in-israeli-bombing

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I'm curious if there's some point where you don't feel the ends justify the means. If they roughed the baby up a little and it got the Israelis to move a bit faster, would it be worth it in your mind?

This is literally what the Israelis did when they broke the arms and legs of the kids they were releasing. Stop having fantasies about Hamas torturing babies and examine the real world.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Miftan posted:

Sorry, I could have been clearer. I meant that while it's possible that the Israeli hostages are being abused, we've not had any substantive claims beyond 'no food and medicine' which is unavoidable in Gaza right now.

Yes, that's why being held there against your will is abuse. Everyone in Gaza is being abused by the IDF, and anyone who's being forced to stay there by Hamas is also being abused by Hamas, who is depriving them of their right to escape the IDF's genocidal campaign.

quote:

Your assertion that if Hamas cared about the prisoners' well being they'd just let them go is pretty wild though. If all Hamas wanted was for these people to be comfortable, they wouldn't have kidnapped them in the first place!

That's what I've been saying. It's stupid to debate whether Hamas wants these people to suffer, or dislikes their suffering but not enough to release them, because either way their suffering is the only possible outcome of what Hamas is doing. You might as well interrogate whether IDF soldiers feel bad about killing civilians or not (and in fact "shooting and crying" is a common mémoire genre in Israel, soldiers laying out how bad they felt about what they "had to do.")

quote:

Also, you can easily turn this argument around and say that Israel is clearly abusing a magnitude more Palestinians that are in Israeli prisons and were basically kidnapped as well. So really we should be pointing this finger at Israel first.

Yes, exactly. This is logical consistency. The fact that my train of thought includes "Israel must release its captives" - which was morally and politically vital long before Oct 7 and still is - is one sign that it's the correct line of thought.

quote:

You're just arguing semantics because when everyone is saying "It looks like Hamas is doing the best they can with the hostages and so far there's no substantive evidence to the contrary" everyone but you understands that there's an implict clause afterwards that says "..in the context of being in a war zone and wanting to keep hostages"

Do you see how that's a hell of an implicit clause? You might as well say "Joe Biden is doing the most he can to protect Palestinian civilians ... in the context of refusing to admonish or threaten Israel ever." Or "Israel gives its occupied-territories prisoners the best possible legal representation ... in the context of indefinitely detaining them without trial in order to scare and humiliate their communities into obedience."

"Wanting to keep hostages" is a war crime being deliberately conducted against children and adult civilians, it's ridiculous to take it for granted or sweep it under the rug. If we're going to talk about how Hamas feels about the suffering of its hostages - and I still don't see why - we at least shouldn't pretend that their detainment is some fixed reality that Hamas has to deal with, instead of a choice Hamas constantly makes in pursuit of its own survival and the freedom of Palestinians.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Dec 6, 2023

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Civilized Fishbot posted:

The best they could do to protect and care for the hostages would obviously be releasing the hostages so they could escape a horribly impoverished war zone and reunite with their families and caregivers. Obviously they haven't done this.

Maybe they're justified in keeping these hostages, in a trolley problem/staying in Omelas sense, by the potential for freeing thousands of cruelly imprisoned Palestinians or by pausing/ending a terrible war. But there's no possibility whatsoever that "Hamas did the best they could to protect and care for the hostages," that's a ridiculous idea.

What matters here, practically speaking (by which I mean politically speaking), is not whether hostage-taking is inherently harmful, but whether Hamas has gone out of its way to intentionally abuse and mistreat the hostages beyond the sudden loss of freedom at gunpoint that is inherent in being taken hostage. From a political perspective, "they were starved because Hamas was starving them on purpose to torment them" and "they were starved because Israel decided to deliberately cut the area off from food supplies, knowing full well that the hostages would be affected too" are extremely different.

Keep in mind that the Israeli government is catching considerable flak from hostages and their families over a perceived lack of care or concern for getting the hostages back alive and healthy.

I'd also note that one of the terms of the ceasefire was allowing the Red Cross in to inspect the conditions for the hostages, and Hamas did not comply with this. It is unclear to me why Hamas would not want them to visit hostages unless they're trying to cover up evidence of abuses they have committed.

Is the Red Cross currently saying that Hamas promised to give them access and is refusing to give them that access?

I am not seeing that, though probably a large part of that is the fact that the truce is universally described as having "broken down" four or five days ago, and the ICRC has returned to generic calls for cessation of violence and protection of civilians. This appears to be the latest from the ICRC on the Gaza situation:

https://www.icrc.org/en/document/israel-and-occupied-territories-president-icrc-arrives-gaza

quote:

Mirjana Spoljaric, the president of the ICRC, is in Gaza today to advance efforts that alleviate the devastating humanitarian toll the ongoing conflict is taking on civilians

President Spoljaric will call for the protection of civilians in Gaza and respect for the laws of war. She will also reiterate the ICRC's call for the hostages to be immediately released.

Her travel to the region is happening in several stages, with a visit to Israel expected over the coming weeks.

In Gaza, President Spoljaric will spend time with the ICRC team on the ground and visit the European Hospital, where ICRC medical teams have been conducting life-saving surgery alongside local healthcare workers. The ICRC has also been providing medical and other supplies to health care facilities as well as livelihood support to displaced people.

The Palestine Red Crescent Society (PRCS) has been providing ambulance and other core healthcare services in extremely dangerous circumstances in Gaza since the fighting escalated. Many humanitarian and health workers, including members of the PRCS, have been tragically killed in the conduct of their duties over the last weeks.

"The level of human suffering is intolerable. It is unacceptable that civilians have no safe place to go in Gaza, and with a military siege in place there is also no adequate humanitarian response currently possible.

The purpose of my visit is to advance efforts that alleviate the desperate humanitarian situation. I will convey my deep concern for the plight of civilians and underline the ICRC's utmost commitment to doing everything we can to ease their suffering. We have urgently appealed for civilian life to be protected and respected on all sides, in line with international humanitarian law, and I reiterate that appeal today.

An unimpeded and regular flow of aid must be allowed to enter Gaza. All those deprived of liberty must be treated humanely. The hostages must be released, and the ICRC must be allowed to safely visit them.

The last week provided a small degree of humanitarian respite, a positive glimpse of humanity that raised hopes around the world that a path to reduced suffering could now be found. As a neutral actor, the ICRC stands ready to support further humanitarian agreements that reduce suffering and heartbreak."

While they make clear that the ICRC would like to visit the hostages, they do not appear to be linking that to any truce conditions or claiming that Hamas violated a commitment. Moreover, news reports suggest that the ICRC is in active negotiations with Hamas for hostage access:

https://www.timesofisrael.com/visiting-gaza-red-cross-chief-says-suffering-intolerable-icrc-must-see-hostages/

quote:

The president of the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), Mirjana Spoljaric Egger, is expected to arrive in Egypt and the Gaza Strip today for discussions on allowing Red Cross representatives to access the hostages taken from Israel on October 7 and held by Hamas, according to Hebrew-language media.

The organization has come under fierce criticism in Israel and abroad for not doing more to push for access to the hostages to check on their wellbeing, deliver medications, and facilitate communication with families, per its mandate

Israel has said that Red Cross visits to the remaining hostages were a stipulation of the truce between Israel and Hamas last week, which lasted seven days and saw the release of over 100 hostages, mostly Israeli women and children.

Two weeks ago, Spoljaric met with Hamas leader Ismail Haniyeh in Qatar for discussions. Her office later said that the “ICRC has persistently called for the immediate release of hostages.

“The ICRC is insisting that our teams be allowed to visit the hostages to check on their welfare and deliver medications, and for the hostages to be able to communicate with their families. Agreements must be reached that allow the ICRC to safely carry out this work. The ICRC cannot force its way in to where hostages are held, nor do we know their location,” her office said.

In Mid-November, she met with family members of hostages and with Foreign Minister Eli Cohen and Health Minister Uriel Menachem Buso in Geneva.

“Families of hostages are living through an incredibly heart-wrenching time and I want to underscore how hard we are advocating on behalf of their loved ones,” she said. “This is a key priority for me, and I know the enormous pain the families are enduring.”

As for why the negotiations haven't borne fruit yet, the ICRC has kept tight-lipped about that, and I wouldn't expect any details from them, as they keep the details of their negotiations behind the curtains in order to avoid upsetting the negotiations or violating their neutrality. However, I think the mention of the need to "safely carry out this work" is important here.

As long as Israel stands ready to bomb Gaza, Hamas cannot ensure safe passage to the ICRC all by themselves. They also need to coordinate with Israel to make sure the ICRC teams don't get bombed mid-visit. And that means Israel needs to be informed of the general timing and route of any visits to the hostages - something that would obviously be of extreme interest to the IDF.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Yes, exactly. This is logical consistency. The fact that my train of thought includes "Israel must release its captives" - which was morally and politically vital long before Oct 7 and still is - is one sign that it's the correct line of thought.

And how will that be achieved??? Like, honestly what point are you actually making? It's idealist in the truest sense, you're completely divorced from reality telling us your wishes and what would be most morally correct by both sides. Who gives a poo poo? What you're saying is literally nonsense.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

And how will that be achieved??? Like, honestly what point are you actually making? It's idealist in the truest sense, you're completely divorced from reality telling us your wishes and what would be most morally correct by both sides. Who gives a poo poo? What you're saying is literally nonsense.

Yeah, uh, less harshly, Israel has kept these captives for more than 5 years in some cases. We know with certainty that Israel will not release these prisoners unless coerced to do so. Like I understand the urge to have ideals in terms of ethics, but what prescription can those ethics offer the Palestinians if following them will result in no improvement to their suffering?

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Yeah, uh, less harshly, Israel has kept these captives for more than 5 years in some cases. We know with certainty that Israel will not release these prisoners unless coerced to do so. Like I understand the urge to have ideals in terms of ethics, but what prescription can those ethics offer the Palestinians if following them will result in no improvement to their suffering?

I would go further and say Hamas following those “moral” prescriptions just accelerates the genocide of Palestine.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Why the gently caress are we going in circles critiquing the methods of the resistance movement of the people being ethnically cleansed by the monstrous, fascist ethnostate?

Like, yes, people backed into corners by vastly more powerful and evil foes so bad things as part of their resistance, news at 11. Personally I’m far more annoyed at the people who created the ethnostate then decided to create an open air prison then ethnically cleanse the people within it. But sure, both sides are bad. loving liberal nonsense.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

Jakabite posted:

Why the gently caress are we going in circles critiquing the methods of the resistance movement of the people being ethnically cleansed by the monstrous, fascist ethnostate?

Like, yes, people backed into corners by vastly more powerful and evil foes so bad things as part of their resistance, news at 11. Personally I’m far more annoyed at the people who created the ethnostate then decided to create an open air prison then ethnically cleanse the people within it. But sure, both sides are bad. loving liberal nonsense.

I don’t think that Hamas should be able to do whatever they want to the civilians in Israel in retaliation of the actions/policies of the government of Israel

Kalit fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Dec 6, 2023

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

The way it will be achieved is either whatever Hamas is doing - which none of us here can affect, so to discuss it is necessarily wishes and bullshitting - or, less likely, stuff like boycotts, calling your government representatives, protests, donations to the right places, voting the right way. We can discuss those, but anything else is, you're right, basically just some loser's nonsense fantasy or nightmare.

Which is what this thread is. There's nothing to be done in this thread except give divorced-from-reality opinions about what's going on and what we wish was going on. This is not where the resistance is being organized. This is only where people come to share their hot takes.

The point I'm actually trying to make is "caring about whether Hamas likes or dislikes the suffering of its hostages is idealism, because either way Hamas doesn't have the power to eliminate their suffering short of releasing them altogether."

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Dec 6, 2023

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think it should be remembered the method Hamas has chosen is, in addition to being morally reprehensible, incredibly loving stupid. Israel now has the political will and enough cover in the eyes of its allies to cause far more damage to Gaza than it ever did before and ultimately destroy Hamas, all the while oppressing other Palestinian territories more than ever. Nothing has improved or ever will improve for Palestinians due to October 7th, the only question is how much can the damage caused by Hamas' colossal fuckups be mitigated.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
In a vacuum I'm generally against hostage taking. That said, the situation is a big fat "what did you expect"; if you have a habit of kidnapping children, and the only method you've ever been responsive to for freeing them has been to also kidnap your civilians & trade them, that's going to become the norm de jure.

In a sane country, perhaps reforms could come into play where, in exchange for not taking hostages, Israel repeals its insane apartheid laws/stops detaining Palestinians indefinitely/tries them in a neutral civilian court where they have the same rights as Israelis, complete with transparency in sharing evidence with PA and Hamas....You know, poo poo that's expected to happen when a foreign national is arrested. We're pretty loving far from that, though.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Dec 7, 2023

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

I think it should be remembered the method Hamas has chosen is, in addition to being morally reprehensible, incredibly loving stupid.

It freed a lot of Palestinians and secured a ceasefire for the war - these are real material gains.

I think killing aand assaulting all those civilians on October 7 was stupid if you evaluate it as a decision, but I don't know that the organization that is Hamas could've stopped its militiamen from doing that - it was probably an unavoidable part of sending hundreds of young men out to violently take revenge on the state that ruined their lives.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

I think it should be remembered the method Hamas has chosen is, in addition to being morally reprehensible, incredibly loving stupid. Israel now has the political will and enough cover in the eyes of its allies to cause far more damage to Gaza than it ever did before and ultimately destroy Hamas, all the while oppressing other Palestinian territories more than ever. Nothing has improved or ever will improve for Palestinians due to October 7th, the only question is how much can the damage caused by Hamas' colossal fuckups be mitigated.

Israel has a wall around Gaza, a full blockade, and controls food, fuel, and medicine going into Gaza. Hell, they tried to SELL expired COVID vaccines to Palestinians. Gaza is the world's largest concentration camp. So do tell me, how would you have liked Hamas to fight back against a brutal apartheid regime hellbent on genocide?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

It freed a lot of Palestinians and secured a ceasefire for the war - these are real material gains.

I think killing aand assaulting all those civilians on October 7 was stupid if you evaluate it as a decision, but I don't know that the organization that is Hamas could've stopped its militiamen from doing that - it was probably an unavoidable part of sending hundreds of young men out to violently take revenge on the state that ruined their lives.

Did it free a lot though? I was under the impression that in response to the 7th Israel has taken even more hostages then they had before, certainly they've taken more than they have released, I'm not sure a net gain in free Palestinians happened here. Unless the goal was to get specific ones freed.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

I'm sorry, but this is delusional. Israel has failed to achieve any of its military objectives and has lost a huge amount of credibility internationally, both in terms of their sympathetic international image, but also they have shown they are not the superior military power they had pretended. It has propelled the Palestinians back into the consciousness of a new generation of Arabs, and Hamas and allied Palestinian resistance groups have shown how dogshit of a military Israel is. Israel has proven to only have airpower and the nuclear option as significant threats. And as Iran develops domestic missile technology and gets technology transfers from Russia, that airpower gap for regional powers can be significantly reduced.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Kalit posted:

I don’t think that Hamas should be able to do whatever they want to the civilians in Israel in retaliation of the actions/policies of the government of Israel

How should Hamas resist the ongoing genocide that would be appropriate to you?

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

This is literally what the Israelis did when they broke the arms and legs of the kids they were releasing. Stop having fantasies about Hamas torturing babies and examine the real world.

Yeah that's not what I'm doing at all, and you can go to hell for suggesting it.

I'm asking a question of the guy who thinks that the justification for taking 10 months old babies as hostages is "plainly obvious".

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Dec 7, 2023

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Judgy Fucker posted:

How should Hamas resist the ongoing genocide that would be appropriate to you?

Go after military personnel/politicians who are enforcing/enacting said actions/policies.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Kalit posted:

Go after military personnel/politicians who are enforcing/enacting said actions/policies.

The music festival on 10/7 had tanks, APCs, and IDF soldiers in full BDUs and weapons. It was clearly a legitimate military target.
Also, the reports from that day say that Hamas DID go after the IDF and the IDF blind fired at anything that moved, killing tons of civilians in the process.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

If they had captured a bunch of IDF soldiers without also murdering a shitload of civilians/raping a bunch of women/capturing a bunch of civilians and refusing to let anyone inspect the conditions they're keeping them under then that would've put Israel in a very difficult position.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Kalit posted:

Considering the asymmetry between Israel and Hamas' capabilities, how do you suggest they do that? With an emphasis on avoiding civilian casualties, of course.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

If they had captured a bunch of IDF soldiers without also murdering a shitload of civilians/raping a bunch of women/capturing a bunch of civilians and refusing to let anyone inspect the conditions they're keeping them under then that would've put Israel in a very difficult position.

That's pretty much it. Optics extremely matter in the end when you're talking about support or not getting support. Soldiers are considered fair game for the same reasons that kids and babies aren't.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

part of me thinks Israel's response to blow up everything would have been largely the same regardless of how humanely Hamas approached the situation

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Kalit posted:

Nor do I, but I think it’s very easy to sit and criticise the ethical choices of a people engaged in an incredibly asymmetric war for the survival of their whole society.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Judgy Fucker posted:

Considering the asymmetry between Israel and Hamas' capabilities, how do you suggest they do that? With an emphasis on avoiding civilian casualties, of course.

This is a loaded question, but let me try and assume good faith and answer: when taking captives, take the ones who are adults, and preferably the ones wearing uniforms.

Jakabite posted:

Nor do I, but I think it’s very easy to sit and criticise the ethical choices of a people engaged in an incredibly asymmetric war for the survival of their whole society.

I completely agree with this. What got my hackles up was someone arguing that taking a 10 month old was a good move, actually.

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Dec 7, 2023

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

For someone with a luffy avatar you sure do love the world government

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Toxic Mental posted:

That's pretty much it. Optics extremely matter in the end when you're talking about support or not getting support. Soldiers are considered fair game for the same reasons that kids and babies aren't.

Every resistance movement has killed civilians. IRA, ANC, American Revolution, etc.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

alf_pogs posted:

part of me thinks Israel's response to blow up everything would have been largely the same regardless of how humanely Hamas approached the situation

All of me thinks so. Razing Gaza to the ground, as they are in the process of doing, is utterly counterproductive to achieving the aim of "destroying Hamas." All it does is engender more hatred and degrade Israel's international standing. Genocide was always the goal.

Besides, it looks more and more like the Israeli state was well aware of what Hamas was planning and did nothing. Why? a casus belli.

DeadlyMuffin posted:

This is a loaded question, but let me try and assume good faith and answer: when taking captives, take the ones who are adults, and preferably the ones wearing uniforms.

What is loaded about it? Kalit has opinions on how Hamas should resist Israel's genocide, I'm trying to tease out exactly how they should go about doing it.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

There's so far been no conclusive evidence of rape presented and Israel is attempting to discredit the UN committee tasked with investigating the claims.

Kalit posted:

Tough poo poo then. If they can't go after military personnel/politicians who are doing the enacting/enforcing (for whatever reason you're insinuating), they have absolutely zero chance of making a change by going after random civilians. It'll just give said politicians an even more convenient excuse to enact a faster genocide, as we see what's currently happening.

They did capture high ranking military personne thoughl?

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Dec 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Judgy Fucker posted:

Tough poo poo then. If they can't go after military personnel/politicians who are doing the enacting/enforcing (for whatever reason you're insinuating), they have absolutely zero chance of making a change by going after random civilians. It'll just give said politicians an even more convenient excuse to enact a faster genocide, as we see what's currently happening.