Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

if he gets Tepper to avoid meddling

Based on his track record, this looks like challenge level: impossible. Which is the whole problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
the only person who can get Tepper to stop meddling is Tepper

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

ozymandius1024 posted:

I wasn't saying that Flores was doing it for Tua's own good, just that he wasn't completely destroyed going forward from it happening (and that having McDaniel and those WRs has helped a ton). You have to be mentally strong to be at the highest level, and if you can't deal with a coach doubting you and the adversity of getting benched, then maybe you just don't belong.

Tua bounced back due to a really substantial effort from McDaniels to convince him that he does not, in fact, suck. Most coaches probably wouldn’t have put in the work.

https://apnews.com/article/miami-do...passing%20week.

quote:

Tagovailoa told CBS that he looked at himself in the mirror multiple times last year and asked, “Do I suck?” as the Dolphins' belief in him seemed to wane with each passing week.

This sucks. It’s just a lovely thing to do to a kid and I don’t think it’s fair to say that if you can’t bounce back from a lovely coach wrecking your confidence then you weren’t cut out for the league.

But yea, I agree that this is ultimately stepper’s doing, however I think once you’ve started Bryce you’ve got to keep playing him at that point. I also think QBs really get much better on the bench outside of fixing mechanics.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Codependent Poster posted:

His staff in Indy were already there before he came in because of the McDaniels thing.

It's a hit job on Reich in my opinion. Like yeah he wasn't doing great but a lot of that stuff goes against how he was perceived in Indy, even up until when he was fired.

I agree, it's hard to put together a team of ambitious people and then not have them be at each other's throats when things go south. Especially if coaches are literally going to the owner over every grievance real or imagined.

Reich sure as hell didn't do a good job, but I struggle to see how any coach could have succeeded over there this year.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Relentlessboredomm posted:

I will say to no one’s surprise it sounds like Reich had no idea how to manage a coaching staff that wasn’t just his buddies especially when things got tough.

I think that's absolutely the wrong take. Just look at these quotes:

quote:

The Athletic spoke to more than 20 Panthers coaches, players and other league sources, some of whom were granted anonymity so they could speak freely. They painted a picture of dysfunction inside the Panthers’ offices, with assistant coaches undermining other coaches as many went into self-preservation mode when it became clear Reich’s days were numbered.

quote:

Coaches said they believed other staff members were text messaging Tepper behind Reich’s back about issues they saw with the team. In one instance, general manager Scott Fitterer and an offensive coach went to Tepper with a coaching suggestion for the quarterback.

quote:

Days before Thanksgiving, with the team spiraling and Young getting pummeled, Tepper told Reich to fix the rookie’s footwork. Fitterer and others had told Tepper that Young’s feet were the cause of some of the Panthers’ protection issues. They believed Young wasn’t dropping back deep enough on his pass sets.

quote:

With Tepper supplying the capital, Reich assembled one of the NFL’s largest staffs, stocked with a pair of former head coaches (Dom Capers and Jim Caldwell), two ascending coordinators (Thomas Brown and Ejiro Evero) and several other well-known assistants.

quote:

Tepper also encouraged Reich to go outside of his “circle” with some of the hires. As such, many of the offensive coaches had never worked together and brought different philosophies to an offense that would be led by a rookie quarterback from Week 1. Besides the disagreements in scheme, there were personality conflicts and factions formed on a staff that included two main holdovers from Rhule’s staff — offensive line coach James Campen and special teams coordinator Chris Tabor, both of whom were retained at Tepper’s urging.

It keeps going, but the picture that's painted here is clear: Reich was clearly put into an impossible situation. An important part of running any organization is having clear lines of communication and leadership, a clear plan, and a shared philosophy for success, and none of that was present in Carolina. From the very beginning, Reich was made to hire a large and unwieldy staff, bringing in or retaining people many people he didn't know, several of whom had competing ideas on how to coach the team. A lot of these coaches had backchannel communications to the front office and ownership, undermining Reich's leadership and ability to make decisions. And then when these issues and the overall lack of talent failed to result in instant success, Tepper decided to jump ahead and burn everything down to start from scratch.

I'm not going to say that Reich was blameless for Carolina's failures this seasons, or that he could have formed a great staff and lead the team to a winning season had Tepper laid off. But reading through the article, it's hard to see it as anything other than Reich never having had a chance to begin with — far from "failing when he doesn't have his buddies."

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

YOLOsubmarine posted:

But yea, I agree that this is ultimately stepper’s doing, however I think once you’ve started Bryce you’ve got to keep playing him at that point. I also think QBs really get much better on the bench outside of fixing mechanics.

I do think it's important that he's properly protected so he doesn't get destroyed, and I just don't think that's happening with the Panthers interior OL being decimated (and that's not even mentioning the step back that Ekwonu has taken at LT). I don't put as much stock in the "he sucks cause he's short" poo poo that some folks do, but I do think him being as slight as he is will always be a genuine injury concern.

This season loving sucks.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
What's wild to me is, I get the arguments for Young's motivation, but of all the backups to veto jumping in while your rookie fixes his mechanics in practice a bit more, and it's Andy Dalton? Like, the Jets would probably kill to have an Andy Dalton right now. Why would you have as quality a backup as that and say, "Bryce can never take a break and prepare more." It's not like he'd be briefly losing the job to Easton Stick or whatever, it's a dude with significant starting time in the league. Why do you even have Dalton if you're never going to consider playing him.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Probably Magic posted:

What's wild to me is, I get the arguments for Young's motivation, but of all the backups to veto jumping in while your rookie fixes his mechanics in practice a bit more, and it's Andy Dalton? Like, the Jets would probably kill to have an Andy Dalton right now. Why would you have as quality a backup as that and say, "Bryce can never take a break and prepare more." It's not like he'd be briefly losing the job to Easton Stick or whatever, it's a dude with significant starting time in the league. Why do you even have Dalton if you're never going to consider playing him.

That's the thing: Dalton should have been starting from week one if Young wasn't ready, which he clearly wasn't. But when the owner is the one who insisted drafting him - who insisted on giving up more capital to make absolutely certain that he drafted him - he's going to insist on showing off his shiny new toy. And everything falls apart from there.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Probably Magic posted:

Dalton is good enough that the team would actually be in contention for the South this year with him starting, which means Bryce wouldn’t be starting at all this season. The problem with having a decent backup for your rookie QB is they’re probably going to be better than the rookie QB for at least a while so you really can’t switch back and forth during the season unless you really want to create havoc.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

indigi posted:

the only person who can get Tepper to stop meddling is Tepper

I stand by my wet willie approach :colbert: Maybe mix in a swirly every now and then if the message isn't getting through.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Dalton is good enough that the team would actually be in contention for the South this year with him starting, which means Bryce wouldn’t be starting at all this season. The problem with having a decent backup for your rookie QB is they’re probably going to be better than the rookie QB for at least a while so you really can’t switch back and forth during the season unless you really want to create havoc.

I'm not sure if I quite agree with that. Tannehill would be a quality backup on most teams for the same reason as Andy, but Levis has outplayed him so that even coming back from the injury it's Levis going forward. Meanwhile, Dalton is currently outplaying Young, so if it's a true meritocracy, you try Young out, see he's not there yet, and stick with Andy.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

ozymandius1024 posted:

I do think it's important that he's properly protected so he doesn't get destroyed, and I just don't think that's happening with the Panthers interior OL being decimated (and that's not even mentioning the step back that Ekwonu has taken at LT). I don't put as much stock in the "he sucks cause he's short" poo poo that some folks do, but I do think him being as slight as he is will always be a genuine injury concern.

This season loving sucks.

Yeah, agreed. And I think what makes everything suck more is that last season we looked like we were coming out of the slump we had been stuck in since Rivera's last years and instead we tripped and fell head first into a dark hole. And what's even worse is:

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Dalton is good enough that the team would actually be in contention for the South this year with him starting

-is arguably true. If the only thing Carolina had done this off-season is signed Dalton, we would have avoided all of this mess. We'd still be looking for a new QB down the road, but we wouldn't be the trashfire we are right now

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Probably Magic posted:

I'm not sure if I quite agree with that. Tannehill would be a quality backup on most teams for the same reason as Andy, but Levis has outplayed him so that even coming back from the injury it's Levis going forward. Meanwhile, Dalton is currently outplaying Young, so if it's a true meritocracy, you try Young out, see he's not there yet, and stick with Andy.

Young isn’t going to get better by not playing though and unless the goal is something very specific like sitting him while fixing his mechanics then you’re just wasting cost controlled years where he should be learning and you should be evaluating him. If he can’t outplay Dalton right now I doubt he’s going to outplay him after another year or two of riding the bench.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
From the Athletic article on the Panthers coaching:

quote:

Reich, Fitterer and the offensive coaches decided the priority before Young’s first season was preparing him to call plays in the huddle for the first time and giving him time to absorb a playbook that blended Reich’s system with wide zone concepts Brown bought from the Los Angeles Rams. Any tweaks or changes the Panthers wanted to make to Young’s mechanics would wait until the offseason.

quote:

League sources said Tepper struggled with the decision to fire Reich. But the combination of Young’s difficulty understanding Reich’s offense, specifically the reads, timing and ball placement, as well as Young’s lack of protection, convinced the owner the organization wasn’t helping its quarterback, but ruining him.

Put aside your personal assessment of Bryce as a QB, both pre-draft and now, for just a moment. Replace his name in those paragraphs with "1st-round rookie QB".

How the gently caress could anyone down at Panthers HQ believe this approach would be successful while naming the rookie the starting QB?

Letting flawed mechanics fester for a whole season? Knowingly putting a guy who's new to calling plays and new to the offensive scheme behind an OL that was specifically assembled for an entirely different blocking scheme? And then refusing to switch to Dalton once it became apparent that starting the rookie was only reinforcing bad habits re: footwork and providing very little in terms of 'useful experience running a well-installed offense'?

:stonk:

(aww, is the 'you dumbass' smilie gone?)

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah that seems completely backwards for development. No wonder he’s been so miserable

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I think that's absolutely the wrong take. Just look at these quotes:

It keeps going, but the picture that's painted here is clear: Reich was clearly put into an impossible situation. An important part of running any organization is having clear lines of communication and leadership, a clear plan, and a shared philosophy for success, and none of that was present in Carolina. From the very beginning, Reich was made to hire a large and unwieldy staff, bringing in or retaining people many people he didn't know, several of whom had competing ideas on how to coach the team. A lot of these coaches had backchannel communications to the front office and ownership, undermining Reich's leadership and ability to make decisions. And then when these issues and the overall lack of talent failed to result in instant success, Tepper decided to jump ahead and burn everything down to start from scratch.

I'm not going to say that Reich was blameless for Carolina's failures this seasons, or that he could have formed a great staff and lead the team to a winning season had Tepper laid off. But reading through the article, it's hard to see it as anything other than Reich never having had a chance to begin with — far from "failing when he doesn't have his buddies."

Yea fair points, there's a ton of org dysfunction going on there. I'm just deeply suspicious of the whole coaching nepotism thing and this one sounded a lot like a guy who's not used to having super ambitious people under him unable to cut it. But it does sound like it's more a Tepper issue than anything else.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Dalton starting for the first ~4 games would've been interesting just to get a sense for what's possible in this offense before Bryce started. If anything it would've drawn a clearer line around which problems were Reichs playcalling, Fitterer's talent acquisition, or Young's inability to play NFL QB. And it would've given them time to actually work on Young's mechanics, which woof.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

maybe there was a belief that it would be easier for him to learn the offense and how to read defenses at an nfl level than. isn't that what alabama did?

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Parallax posted:

maybe there was a belief that it would be easier for him to learn the offense and how to read defenses at an nfl level than. isn't that what alabama did?

There’s no NFL equivalent of playing Mercer in week two, is the thing.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Man I am fascinated to see who wants to/ends up coaching the Panthers next year.

- Insane meddlesome owner
- Tiny QB you have to start/fix
- No offensive talent
- No first round draft pick
- Easy division tho

By comparison the Bears if they open up have so many loving resources for a new coach. You can keep fields or draft a new kid plus you have 2 first round picks, a defense with a few ok pieces, an improving offensive line and 1 very very good WR. SD obviously is the ideal spot since you have Herbie.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Man I am fascinated to see who wants to/ends up coaching the Panthers next year.

- No offensive talent
- Easy division tho

By comparison the Bears if they open up have so many loving resources for a new coach. You can keep fields or draft a new kid plus you have 2 first round picks, a defense with a few ok pieces, an improving offensive line and 1 very very good WR. SD obviously is the ideal spot since you have Herbie.

You're underselling those first round picks too, they're currently #1 and #5 :laffo:

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Part of the reason Mahomes transitioned so well is that he went to KC in a fairly familiar system to what he had in college. Iirc members of mahomes coaching staff in college were actually from the same coaching tree as Reid and ran very similar concepts.

That right there truncates the learning curve massively. Then he was allowed to sit and learn the little extra bits to his game, operating under center, adjusting plays, protection etc etc so the transition was as close to seamless as it gets.

When Cam arrived in Carolina Chudzinski adopted a whole bunch of concepts that he'd used at Auburn and he blew records at the time apart.

Even Tua now plays in a system with similar concepts to what he had in college, burrow had a similar thing in his second year where he more uses his touch and accuracy to throw to areas of the field as much as specific route concepts. Which allowed him to come up to speed on the poo poo he didn't do in college.

Bryce was asked to rework everything as a rookie, with a supporting cast thats not up to par, in a new offense. That's a pretty tough ask to me.

I legitimately believe that if Byrce was cut tomorrow before the end of the next day he'd be in San Francisco, Miami, LA with the Rams and he'd look world's better.

Yeah Bryce has had issues but gently caress me, how could he not with the way it was handled.

Everything from top to bottom has been a poo poo show and tbh the only hope is that the next few weeks we see more of what Brown installed this week that actually worked. A lot more motion, more bunch formations, more downhill runs, less static timing bullshit routes.

Actual modern offensive concepts for a player like him to do what he does best.

You see the college stuff and yeah highlights are bullshit but there's times where be ghosts around a defender and launches a 50 yard rainbow that just drops into a bucket for a receiver going full clip. There's plenty of talent there to work with but literally nothing you would have on your wish list for a young QB was there most of this year.

Unfamiliar scheme
Wholesale changes to how you're expect to run an offense
Offensive line that can't protect
Run game that just isn't working
A sub par receiver room
Sub par tight end room
Offensive coordinator changes
Scheme emphasis changes.

The dudes head must be spinning.

If DJ Moore and CMC were still there and he was put in with a head coach whod been there for 2 years running a similar scheme to what be ran in college and his numbers were the same. He's a bust is a bust is a bust but I mean... name one thing the panthers have actually put in place to help his transition this year? I can't.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

- No offensive talent
- Easy division tho

it doesn't matter who is on the bears, they are a Toilet Franchise that will never be good again.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the bears will use their famous Assets to draft bad players or players they will immediately ruin with bad coaching, they will never have a 4,000 yard passer, a functioning offense, or a playoff win, they're basically the NFC Browns.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Bears are going to pick Drake maye, then sit him for four games behind Ryan tannehill, IMO.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
The head coach? That’s right - Ron Rivera.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Bears are going to pick Drake maye, then sit him for four games behind Ryan tannehill, IMO.

Still thinking about that time the Bears paid Mike Glennon like $20 mil and declared him the unquestioned starter. Then a few weeks later traded a truckload of picks to get Trubisky and had him starting by like week 4 because Mike Glennon played how Mike Glennon has always played

I’m sure being an NFL GM is very hard but sometimes I literally cannot understand the thought process

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

R.D. Mangles posted:

it doesn't matter who is on the bears, they are a Toilet Franchise that will never be good again.

Oh no disagreement and yet that HC job is MILES more appealing than the Panthers

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

BlindSite posted:

name one thing the panthers have actually put in place to help his transition this year? I can't.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

blindsite is going to see this picture and tie himself into knots about how it's every other aspect of the team's fault and a failure to bryce that he has less muscle definition in his arms than nicole tepper.

it's more embarrassing than this picture of matt leinart. at least he had the awareness to sink into the water.

bryce is loving curtsey'ing how the gently caress did this happen i swear to loving god

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Docjowles posted:

Still thinking about that time the Bears paid Mike Glennon like $20 mil and declared him the unquestioned starter. Then a few weeks later traded a truckload of picks to get Trubisky and had him starting by like week 4 because Mike Glennon played how Mike Glennon has always played

I’m sure being an NFL GM is very hard but sometimes I literally cannot understand the thought process

they didn't tell glennon they were picking a QB and glennon had to sort of sheepishly walk out with his ridiculous loving neck in shame from the Official Bears Draft Party, lmao.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

blindsite is going to see this picture and tie himself into knots about how it's every other aspect of the team's fault and a failure to bryce that he has less muscle definition in his arms than nicole tepper.

it's more embarrassing than this picture of matt leinart. at least he had the awareness to sink into the water.

bryce is loving curtsey'ing how the gently caress did this happen i swear to loving god

I’ve never handwaved his size before. I just don't agree it's the cause of the problems we're having on offense rn.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Need a new season of Ballers or Playmakers or whatever, where the owner's wife has conspired to coerce the rookie QB so he plays like poo poo and gives the owner a fatal coronary.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

BlindSite posted:

I’ve never handwaved his size before. I just don't agree it's the cause of the problems we're having on offense rn.

It’s certainly a factor

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/1732517969756819763

lol people are insane

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Is the GM position filled first?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

No thank you the Texans have had enough of ~The Patriot Way~

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

YES

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Kirios posted:

No thank you the Texans have had enough of ~The Patriot Way~

casario is like the only pats coaching or FO higher who is doing a decent job.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I think the more appropriate question is "do you want the 2024 version of Belichick that completely whiffed on his last QB project and seems more or less checked out at this point?"