Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

manero posted:

Pluggers

Goddamn it not again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Selachian posted:

Closer Than We Think 5/1/58

But remember, how you get down is not his department.

I've really been enjoying CTWT's 1950s futurism; thank you for posting it. I particularly like how some of the future wonders are "your robot butler will fly you to Mars for lunch" and others are "you can watch television programs from other countries".

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Flash Gordon

:science: Approximately Mach 1.75, depending on atmospheric conditions.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoXGg4tWdmg

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil

"I'll sell gasoline...from a gas station! They'll never suspect a thing!"

Explodingdice
Jun 28, 2023

Nostalgamus posted:

"I'll sell gasoline...from a gas station! They'll never suspect a thing!"

"We'll pay taxes and rent to keep anyone from getting suspicious, then rake in the profits. Thirty or forty years and we can all retire!"

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

i loving CACKLED holy poo poo arlo

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mas-wrestling

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

ellie the beep posted:

i loving CACKLED holy poo poo arlo

legit loving props to AJ for pulling off an inlaws joke

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
:smith:

Santa's Victory Christmas (December 5, 1942)

Sally Forth

Skippy (November 29, 1935)

Peanuts (December 8, 1976)

Crankshaft

"Calm down, honey. Nobody's ever known how to run this place."

Rip Haywire

Li'l Abner (April 15-17, 1935)

If you didn't know, Al Capp's previous gig was ghosting for Ham Fisher on the boxing strip Joe Palooka. That's where (so he claimed) he came up with a fighting hillbilly named Big Leviticus, and when Capp took the idea to set up shop for himself, Fisher ran him down to anyone in the industry who would listen, kicking off a lifelong vendetta (well, as long as Fisher's life, anyway).

Thimble Theater (July 10, 1940)

Out Our Way (June 28-30, 1943)

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "424 - Jucika Celebrates"

"Márc 8 Nőnap = March 8 Women's Day"

"425 - Jucika And The Windstorm"

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

That is a fantastic momface. :allears:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

EasyEW posted:

Santa's Victory Christmas (December 5, 1942)

"Actually, Santa, we flew quite a distance here with Fixit, and come to think of it I don't even know what city we're in. Do you think we could get a lift-- oh, you're already gone."

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

manero posted:

Nancy 1943

Genuine lol, for some reason. Maybe the gag lands extra-well when it's preceded by such lovely, dainty polite-and-sweetness on all sides.

Kennel posted:

Mandrake

"...like a pear cider that's made from 100% pears."

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

By the way, here's a sketch I did at work today of Keith stomping his way home after being cockblocked by Jughead:

"Ngh! Agh! My woman! Who is this man! Nyuh! Ruh! Where would society be! Ngah! Rrr! Huff! I'm a good man!"

I didn't have time to add Jughead's face in the sky above, sneering wokely down from the clouds.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

By the way, here's a sketch I did at work today of Keith stomping his way home after being cockblocked by Jughead:

"Ngh! Agh! My woman! Who is this man! Nyuh! Ruh! Where would society be! Ngah! Rrr! Huff! I'm a good man!"

I didn't have time to add Jughead's face in the sky above, sneering wokely down from the clouds.

F'ing lol

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Haifisch posted:

1981 comics

Seems kind of inconsiderate to go out cruising with the intention of impregnating women instead of just wanting to have a good time with them.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
I was reading through the Fantagraphics Popeye Sunday collections and laughed out loud at this panel, both because it's funny on its own merits and because of how much Segar's "guy doesn't actually know how to fight" pose reminded me of that Milholland panel with the terrible lines of action

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

garfield hentai posted:

I was reading through the Fantagraphics Popeye Sunday collections and laughed out loud at this panel, both because it's funny on its own merits and because of how much Segar's "guy doesn't actually know how to fight" pose reminded me of that Milholland panel with the terrible lines of action

Is that Ham?

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

Crab Dad posted:

Is that Ham?

That's Eggy, a bit character who shows up a few times - one of Olive Oyl's suitors, and fighter extraordinaire! The Sundays are a lot of fun and while there are some arcs they tend to be more gag-oriented than the dailies.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Doomykins posted:

"423 - Jucika And The Well-Equipped Bus"

"Autóbusz = Bus"

Wow, a Jucika/The Bus Crossover.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Hmmmm, getting a lot of Boss Baby vibes from this.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
We Are Reproducing

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

A comic about sleeping on the couch.

Krazy Kat(July 21, 1918)

The Rectangle(Gasoline Alley)(May 25, 1919)

$1365 is $24,553.21 today
$1400 is $25,182.78
$2750 in 1914 is $4,537.50 in 1919 is $49,466.17 today

$13 is $233.84. For a tire. One Is this a Cybertruck?

Little Nemo(December 15, 1907)

What a kick-rear end Santa.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Hippocrass posted:

$13 is $233.84. For a tire. One Is this a Cybertruck?

We weren't producing vulcanized rubber at the same scale in 1919 as we were in 2019. Tires were basically brand new.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Safety Dance posted:

We weren't producing vulcanized rubber at the same scale in 1919 as we were in 2019. Tires were basically brand new.

Also good tires cost that much today.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

Hwurmp posted:

that is a cock

Then it wouldn't be a good idea to have the egg incubated by a toad.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I Don't Want Anyone In This Comic To Be Happy

[booing]

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 12/10-12/51

Donzel: a young gentleman in training for knighthood.

Archie 12/9-11/48

Tom Corbett, Space Cadet 11/25-27/51

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Wallace's Mom, no. NO. You don't need to start that bullshit of "ooooooh you're dressing up for a GIRL. WHO IS SHE?"

Amelia would look at you and snap people like to dress up, it's not just to impress someone of the opposite or same sex.

Uh, I am missing what kind of seals Archie was going to sell. I first thought like stickers for xmas cards but with butter, that I'm at a loss for.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Cowslips Warren posted:

Uh, I am missing what kind of seals Archie was going to sell. I first thought like stickers for xmas cards but with butter, that I'm at a loss for.
I'm pretty sure you were right, the butter bit is just a joke off "selling like hotcakes".

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

Christmas Seals.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

"Calm down, honey. Nobody's ever known how to run this place."

Note that he brought up the first owner and not his own experiences as the owner. And maybe this bit of reassurance would land better if it didn't come from the guy who failed at running this place in the first place.

:perfect:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Hostile V posted:

[to the tune of Eleanor Rigby] Antifa Boyfriend, just dropping in to help Kitty and Sonia make signs, hope Keith won't mind.

All the looney slogans, where do they all come from?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

John Allison posted:

Following the abject failure of my "movey-mind" experiments, I drew a few weeks of comics with pen and paper rather than my usual computerised technique. These etchings can of course be found on the scarygoround.com internet web-site. During that story, Shelley and Amy enjoyed a restorative visit to Cuba and encountered a large, angry green owl. [ed note: I have no idea where these are, I can't find them]

After a tale of such moment, what was I to do? It's not easy to top the antics of an irate discoloured bird in a communist stronghold. So I retooled my operation and decided to look the heart of darkness straight in the eye.

What followed was the story you're about to read. I regret to inform you that it features some of the least potent examples of shouting, drug-taking and physical violence ever recorded on the printed page.

And, at one point, there is a strong allusion to the making of "the beast with two backs". I'm sorry. If you're unfamiliar with the "death metal" genre from which Dethspasm hail, try to imagine a song that is played as loud as possible, as fast as possible, for ten seconds. The lyric may concern the immediate aftermath of a biological attack/nuclear fallout. That lyric will be delivered in a voice some- where between a growl and a death rattle. Usually by a man from Leeds.

If you're unfamiliar with Leeds, it's a city in West Yorkshire. Why not take in the Merrion Centre, Leeds City Station, or take a bus out to Otley and visit a garden centre?

When you've quite finished enjoying yourself in Leeds (and Otley), feel free to note that this story introduces many new characters, including The Boy, a slight figure full of youthful fire. Note well this curly individual. I only drew him to fill the corner of the second comic, but by early 2005 people were emailing me and asking me to gild his image in bronze. Of course, I refused. That's not what it's about.

Scary Go Round (August 13-17, 2004)

First appearances: Ernest Cromerty, experienced sailor and nautical adventurer, and The Boy, occasional punching bag and mad science assistant to Tim.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

amigolupus posted:

Note that he brought up the first owner and not his own experiences as the owner. And maybe this bit of reassurance would land better if it didn't come from the guy who failed at running this place in the first place.

Not just failed at running it. He blamed COVID for it, while running a pizza place. Pizza already being a traditional delivery food with a massive infrastructure built around handling that role meant it was one form of foodplace that was massively helped, not harmed, by COVID lockdowns.

For a pizza place to go under for that reason, it pretty much had to suck badly and be coasting along on inertia. Which describes the comic perfectly, so it is actually really funny even if the author is clueless.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Adbot