Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Second Hand Meat Mouth)

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

FirstnameLastname posted:

it is
earlier this year I had a gbs mod pm me to apologetically imply that gbs's overall userbase essentially is on average too drunk and stupid to productively discuss topics directly centered around autism or ableism lol

Fat, Drunk, and Stimming is no way to go through life, son

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

it is
earlier this year I had a gbs mod pm me to apologetically imply that gbs's overall userbase essentially is on average too drunk and stupid to productively discuss topics directly centered around autism or ableism lol

I've often had the attitude while driving of "assume most of the other people on the road are currently hosed up on booze and pills". I've recently started using that when I read opinions on the internet, just assume there is a good chance everyone else online is hosed up on booze and pills.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
by contrast cspam is a forum of enlightened geniuses

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

slave to my cravings posted:

yes, as seen by its hosting this thread

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

that is what the words by contrast mean yes

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Al! posted:

that is what the words by contrast mean yes

you WHAT the words by contrast and means yes

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Thank you for providing the minority opinion, discussions between genii so often becomes droll

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

tokin opposition posted:

Thank you for providing the minority opinion, discussions between genii so often becomes droll

For a second I thought you were talking about the rear end in a top hat fascist civilization in Stargate Atlantis.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

skooma512 posted:

For a second I thought you were talking about the rear end in a top hat fascist civilization in Stargate Atlantis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZqzNU4sxv0&t=19s

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Is there a benefit to getting an autism diagnosis if I've made it this far in life without realizing it? I assume it's more important for children/parents who need state subsidized support. Besides my mum not being able to deny it any longer, there's no point to dropping a cool $3,000 on it?

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Bald Stalin posted:

Is there a benefit to getting an autism diagnosis if I've made it this far in life without realizing it? I assume it's more important for children/parents who need state subsidized support. Besides my mum not being able to deny it any longer, there's no point to dropping a cool $3,000 on it?

if you're an adult, not really unless you aren't actually sure, which it sounds like you are

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Bald Stalin posted:

I went to the education office in college to ask and see what kind of accommodations were available for adhd/autism and I was told I could get extra test time. every exam I ever took I finished in like 15 - 20 min. if I aced it or bombed it, time was never an accommodation I needed or asked for.

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
anyway I just said haha thanks anyway and never filed the paperwork

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

interviewing sucks

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

so how does one go about getting an adhd diagnosis as an adult with a diagnosis of SAD anyway

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Bald Stalin posted:

if you're an adult, not really unless you aren't actually sure, which it sounds like you are

in theory you could get accomodations at work, but lol

Al! posted:

so how does one go about getting an adhd diagnosis as an adult with a diagnosis of SAD anyway

would also be interested in the process people have done adhd, at this point i'm not sure if i'm depressed or just really, really bad at focusing and i wanna try more drugs until my brain works gooder

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
I haven't gotten my appointment yet, but my brother just got a ritalin prescription instantly, first appointment. I think he "lucked out" though, according to him his psych is a tweaker and just hands those out like candy

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Halser posted:

I haven't gotten my appointment yet, but my brother just got a ritalin prescription instantly, first appointment. I think he "lucked out" though, according to him his psych is a tweaker and just hands those out like candy

stimulant medication is the first line treatment standard for an adhd diagnosis. doctors that try a bunch of non-stimulant medications first are the weird ones unless there's a specific reason for not trying one of the two stimulant families first.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
I'd been seeing my psychiatrist for years for a classic depression anxiety combo and one time I was describing how I notice all the out of state or custom license plates while driving and he was like "bro do u have adhd" and he gave me a worksheet and just from the questions it was obvious I have turbo ADHD

took adderall for a couple years. it helped me focus at work but I didn't actually need that because my job is scattered enough to be compatible with adhd, so I stopped taking it because the downsides weren't worth it (just personality changes, some stuff I used to enjoy before wasn't exciting, etc.)

im happier living a raw adhd life

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

id just like to be able to finish one god damned personal project

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
I will say that even after a couple years of daily higher dose adderall xr I was able to just cold turkey it one day and didn't have any problems at all

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

i dont have a problem with general background noise but there are specific sounds i cant stand to the point i can get panic from it (like someone eating loudly)
also im a lot more sensitive to loud music than other people. had to leave the party for finishing junior high because they started playing loud music

mags posted:

I went to the education office in college to ask and see what kind of accommodations were available for adhd/autism and I was told I could get extra test time. every exam I ever took I finished in like 15 - 20 min. if I aced it or bombed it, time was never an accommodation I needed or asked for.

i always got done with exams way before anyone else both because i did them very fast and because i never went over my answers to see if i did any mistakes

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

if you want it to be

Jostiband posted:

I think I was in, or at least around, Jönköping when I was a little babby. only time i've been to sweden. spent some time driving bikes around.
rip your cool rear end harbour fort though :(

the stone was put to good use at least, for the construction of a water works
https://www.jonkoping.se/en/the-water-reservoir-park

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Megamissen posted:

i dont have a problem with general background noise but there are specific sounds i cant stand to the point i can get panic from it (like someone eating loudly)

misophonia ftw

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

its the worst ahhhh

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
for some reason the wires in my brain make me immune to my kid's eating noises but if my partner is eating the same thing (usually like corn on the cob) I sometimes have to leave the room

they understand but lol

Second Hand Meat Mouth has issued a correction as of 07:24 on Dec 7, 2023

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
wtf 2hmm has a kid

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
yeah they're 7 and have a matching brain to mine

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
didnt know aids was neurological

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

if you want it to be

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

for some reason the wires in my brain make me immune to my kid's eating noises but if my partner is eating the same thing (usually like corn on the cob) I sometimes have to leave the room

they understand but lol

i cant eat in the same room as my dad when im having dinner with my parents
not a problem at restaurants though, the background noise there drowns it out

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't
Used to believe I was weird as in quirky, realized today that I'm weird as in offputting.
:lol:
:lmao:

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

erosion posted:

Used to believe I was weird as in quirky, realized today that I'm weird as in offputting.
:lol:
:lmao:

welcome

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
the_scrunkly

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I understand every word in that tweet, fear me

TenDollarMouseWife
Jan 1, 2020
Sleeping with plushies is very comfortable.

Whats your favorite plush.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
I got a totoro in Japan that's pretty cool, and a giraffe and hippo from my partner which have high sentimental value

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

singlets? like for wrestling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

singlets? like for wrestling?

Lol big singlet energy n00b