Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

moths posted:

How tf is fulgrim not on here?

because he is coming again (heh) when we get our true codex, and he will look beautiful and be plastic and own the poo poo out of all the lame factions, especially guard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

If that rumor is to be believed, you guys will have gone from zero demon primarch Fulgrims to having two individual kits of him for two versions of Warhammer in an insanely short period of time.

Meanwhile, the Warp Spiders are old enough to drink.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

AndyElusive posted:

Meanwhile, the Warp Spiders are old enough to drink.

Ratlings say hello

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

BadLlama posted:

Ratlings say hello

Ratlings were updated in 2009, Warp Spiders are from 1994.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

the gently caress they were, ugly little shits still

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Lostconfused posted:

Let's see if the guard talk from yesterday can keep going.

This is a nice list! It is fairly elite for guard but Kasrkin are nicely self-sufficient. You are going to have some trouble muscling enemies off objectives to take them, though. Either you set up aggressively with the Kasrkin, which is very risky since they're close to irreplaceable for you, or you need to shoot everyone off, which is always difficult. This is just a Guard Problem overall, though, so if you can work it out, this has smooth sailing.

Your unit loadouts are all garbled, and getting the infantry loadouts right is important. As long as everyone who can is taking plasma, melta, or GL, you're good. The heavy weapons should be lascannon or mortars, and Armored Sents should be las or maybe plasma.

Jack B Nimble posted:

I've been toying around with a 1,000 armored fist list myself, I'd appreciate any feedback:

I recommend at least upgrading that one Russ to a Tank Commander with a demo cannon. If you want a second Russ, a second Tank Commander would be ideal, but Demolishers, Executioners, Eradicators, and arguably Vanquishers are priced correctly for what they do for you. You could also reasonably take a Basilisk or Manticore as a second tank.

Regular Russes are fine but their main gun will disappoint you. Cover is so easy to get in 10th that AP-1 without Ignore Cover is a real liability. (Fields of Fire helps but it's ruinously expensive.) The rerolls to hit on the lascannon and sponsons can make up for it, but a more-useful tank gun on a tank with a weaker ability is a reasonable trade off.

What to drop, from best to worst:
  • The bombards. They cost too much for what they do. These need to go up to an artillery tank or carriage battery (from the Imperial Armor list) or just get dropped.
  • The Cadian Command Squad and their Chimera. These guys are an expensive order and not especially fearsome overall.
  • Scions. I like Scions for Teleport Homers play but this is really more a Cleanse list. Their stock rises if you keep some heavy duty artillery (so, not the bombards) to clear a landing zone, though.
  • A Catachan/Chimera. Three might be more than you need if you're also bringing two battle tanks.
  • The entire home base infantry squad with a command squad. This is a lot of points to plink with mortars and not an efficient set of orders. Artillery can sit on home objective. You probably need a new plan to screen deployment, then.

I don't suggest dropping all of those things! And if you drop some commands, you'll probably want to replace the orders elsewhere. A Castellan with Grand Strategist, Iron Hand Straken, Ursula Creed, or flipping a Catachan/Chimera to Gaunt's Ghosts are all point-efficient options. Tank Commanders can also take Grand Strategist.

After that, your wargear choices need some fine-tuning.

The only bad sponsons for any Russ variant are heavy bolters (or flamers on a vanilla Russ). They're just not very efficient, again because of that AP-1. Plasma cannon and multimeltas are nice, although bear in mind that plasma can't be used in melee.

The Chimeras should be using heavy flamers for both guns, because AP-1 with ignore cover is more important than anything you're ever going to get from those other guns.

You can take power fists on the Tempestor and both of your Commanders and there is no reason not to do that. The Infantry Squad sgt can also get a power weapon and plas pistol.

I'm guessing your Platoon Command is sitting in the back attached to that Infantry Squad, usually ordering the bombards and the combined unit. Drop a special weapon and get those guys the Master Vox so you can flex orders up to the guys in front as needed. You could also get the med pack here.

Your Cadian Command seems to be solo, which is fine, but it means the regi standard is basically useless. Take the second special weapon. You could also flip these guys to a regular command to save 5 points if you want.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Dec 7, 2023

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Thanks! I'll think on that and come back with something else later.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Tangy Zizzle posted:

Maybe consider using a leman russ exterminator instead, as giving your chimeras an extra pip of AP against a specific unit each turn might be helpful

This is a workable plan in general but a bad idea for that list.

Almost all of the Russes are the same basic unit and basically it's a matter of how many points you want to cut to get an extra unit or hull.

Tank Commander Demolishers are basically the best, even though they cost 205. An order is great, shoot on death is great, the main cannon is just flat-out better into anything, and they can even take enhancements. The only reason not to run these is because you want to fit more units into your army or want to run more than three heavy tanks. If they have a weakness, it's that they kinda leak assassinate points, but a Leman Russ hull isn't especially vulnerable.

That leaves regular Demolishers (short fat cannon) a little in the cold at a steep 200. Their ability is handy but not a gamechanger, and you're trading off both a precious vehicle order and shoot on death. You really need to be getting a lot of mileage out of aggressively assaulting with these to pin units, and I don't think that's worth what you're giving up. They're perfectly great as a fourth Russ if you're going full hull skew, although at that point you might want Dorns for better order efficiency or a superheavy for style points.

Executioners (plasma turret) are the next step down, at 180. They have a useless ability but their main gun is actually a relevant weapon for their cost. This doesn't ever feel bad punching down into transports or elite infantry and there's a lot of those going around. Even if you're fishing for Lethal Hits or those 5s to wound, they have good AP and damage on everything.

Eradicators (short vented cannon) are cheap at 160. AP-1 Ignore Cover is about the least AP you want to have on a serious-business gun. Less than this and you start losing a significant number of wounds even against 5+ and 4+ chaff. It's also a cheaper option than the Demolisher to pin shooting units, since it has the same ability.

Vanquishers (long cannon) at 155 are kinda overpriced for their performance (compare them to Predator Annihilators, Gladiator Lancers, or Hammerheads) but they are the cheapest Leman Russ hull, and every other vehicle or monster has to respect them. This is the point where you're more interested in the hull than the gun but there's an argument to be made for taking one of these to round out a list, or spamming them for board presence.

The other Russes are variously outclassed by one of these or only useful in a specific matchup or build.

The regular Leman Russ, at 180, isn't bad, just disappointing. The main gun is the opposite of how you'd min-max right now, with less shots than the other blast options and not enough AP to feel good against anything but infantry swarms. The rerolls to hit significantly help the sponsons, which saves it from being bad, but it's still just firmly middling.

The Exterminator (twin autocannon), at 180, is niche. Its ability to add an AP against a target is very nice but an odd addition to a 180 point unit, especially when you could take an alternative that actually has good AP. Again, it's let down by a main gun that's the opposite of minmaxed. The main use for it as a spotter in an artillery-heavy list; it can boost your regular guardsmen's output but that puts some significant positioning pressure on it. This is generally only something you want in a very specific kind of list.

The Punisher (gatling) sends Harlequins, demons, and Accursed Cultists straight back to hell and is wholly mediocre otherwise. If that's something you need for some reason, here it is at 160.

If you're running Leman Russes at all, it needs to be because you want more hulls on the field (or want hulls that come with vehicle orders). Superheavies are more of a skew, Rogal Dorns make better use of orders and hit harder for their points (although it's a close run with Tank Commanders on the latter), artillery can root out hidden units and always applies pressure (and is much cheaper and easier to order if you use the carriage batteries from Imp Armor). So, while it's tempting to go all Demo Commanders (and def take one, prob with Grand Strategist), it's also worth it to see how much you can go afford to downgrade to get more metal on the field.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Dec 7, 2023

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Cease to Hope posted:

The Punisher (gatling) sends Harlequins, demons, and Accursed Cultists straight back to hell and is wholly mediocre otherwise. If that's something you need for some reason, here it is at 160.

Counter-Point - The punisher goes brrrrrrrrrrr

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Tank commanders are indeed great, and I like your list. They cannot order themselves or each other though, because they are not Squadron units.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Kaal posted:

Tank commanders are indeed great, and I like your list. They cannot order themselves or each other though, because they are not Squadron units.

oh poo poo you're right

one of my regular opponents has been cheating this whole time, lol

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Cease to Hope posted:

oh poo poo you're right

one of my regular opponents has been cheating this whole time, lol

Sounds like it’s time for a Death Befitting an Officer!

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

BadLlama posted:

Counter-Point - The punisher goes brrrrrrrrrrr

20 shots, 11 hits, 8 wounds, no Critical Wounds... and you saved 7... coolcoolcool... - average Punisher Cannon interaction

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Kaal posted:

Tank Commanders are subpar, a single order, can't order themselves, don't get the rules for the main weapon and then as a final "gently caress you" get to shot on death.

Lord Solar is the most cost-efficient way of ordering tanks, which absolutely sucks.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Wouldn't be so bad if Lord Solar didn't look so lame.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Lostconfused posted:

Wouldn't be so bad if Lord Solar didn't look so lame.

Agreed, there isn't really anything "wrong" with it, but it just does nothing for me. A very uninspired sculpt, it would be totally unremarkable if not for the titan head.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

He's a fancy lad except his helmet has a frikin chin strap and neither his collar, sleeves, or pants have any embroidery.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

RagnarokZ posted:

Tank Commanders are subpar, a single order, can't order themselves, don't get the rules for the main weapon and then as a final "gently caress you" get to shot on death.

Lord Solar is the most cost-efficient way of ordering tanks, which absolutely sucks.

Well, that’s all fair too. When compared to the most essential unit in the guard list they are certainly subpar. In a world where a tank company wasn’t led by a fancy guy on a fancy horse, they’d be more standout.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Lostconfused posted:

He's a fancy lad except his helmet has a frikin chin strap and neither his collar, sleeves, or pants have any embroidery.

Yeah games workshop should learn a thing or two from over decorated military uniforms

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Give lord solar that Gaddaffi drip

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Ashcans posted:

Ratlings were updated in 2009, Warp Spiders are from 1994.

2024 is gonna be the year, new spiders and Phoenix lord, I feel it in me bones.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Al-Saqr posted:

Yeah games workshop should learn a thing or two from over decorated military uniforms

He's one of my least favourite character models. I think it's that he looks like a third party knockoff Karl Franz.

Sure the Imperium is very much form over function, but he doesn't fit in with anything else in the Imperium range, who have all kinds of overdecorated fancy lads and lasses with a consistent aesthetic.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

RagnarokZ posted:

It's just an extra twist of the knife for IG players after getting a good codex just in time for it to be useless.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Lostconfused posted:

Please paint in all the embroidery.

Just like this:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CWTOzZfI181/?igshid=NzBmMjdhZWRiYQ==

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

The Lord Solar would have been so much cooler if he'd have been just this absurdly overdecorated Generalissimo with a retinue of adjutants, standard bearers, and bodyguards.

Basically, cross this

with this

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Geisladisk posted:

The Lord Solar would have been so much cooler if he'd have been just this absurdly overdecorated Generalissimo with a retinue of adjutants, standard bearers, and bodyguards.

Basically, cross this

with this

A full diorama base using Ursula Creed with more medals added as the focal point would be rad as hell. Add a bunch of cherubs, banner-bearers, the scribe servitor, the polishing gimp, a whole lot of weird little guys..

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

A full diorama base using Ursula Creed with more medals added as the focal point would be rad as hell. Add a bunch of cherubs, banner-bearers, the scribe servitor, the polishing gimp, a whole lot of weird little guys..

Don't forget her dad's humidor servitor

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Like this

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad

Cease to Hope posted:

This is a workable plan in general but a bad idea for that list.

Almost all of the Russes are the same basic unit and basically it's a matter of how many points you want to cut to get an extra unit or hull.

Tank Commander Demolishers are basically the best, even though they cost 205. An order is great, shoot on death is great, the main cannon is just flat-out better into anything, and they can even take enhancements. The only reason not to run these is because you want to fit more units into your army or want to run more than three heavy tanks. If they have a weakness, it's that they kinda leak assassinate points, but a Leman Russ hull isn't especially vulnerable.

That leaves regular Demolishers (short fat cannon) a little in the cold at a steep 200. Their ability is handy but not a gamechanger, and you're trading off both a precious vehicle order and shoot on death. You really need to be getting a lot of mileage out of aggressively assaulting with these to pin units, and I don't think that's worth what you're giving up. They're perfectly great as a fourth Russ if you're going full hull skew, although at that point you might want Dorns for better order efficiency or a superheavy for style points.

Executioners (plasma turret) are the next step down, at 180. They have a useless ability but their main gun is actually a relevant weapon for their cost. This doesn't ever feel bad punching down into transports or elite infantry and there's a lot of those going around. Even if you're fishing for Lethal Hits or those 5s to wound, they have good AP and damage on everything.

Eradicators (short vented cannon) are cheap at 160. AP-1 Ignore Cover is about the least AP you want to have on a serious-business gun. Less than this and you start losing a significant number of wounds even against 5+ and 4+ chaff. It's also a cheaper option than the Demolisher to pin shooting units, since it has the same ability.

Vanquishers (long cannon) at 155 are kinda overpriced for their performance (compare them to Predator Annihilators, Gladiator Lancers, or Hammerheads) but they are the cheapest Leman Russ hull, and every other vehicle or monster has to respect them. This is the point where you're more interested in the hill than the gun but there's an argument to be made for taking one of these to round out a list, or spamming them for board presence.

The other Russes are variously outclassed by one of these or only useful in a specific matchup or build.

The regular Leman Russ, at 180, isn't bad, just disappointing. The main gun is the opposite of how you'd min-max right now, with less shots than the other blast options and not enough AP to feel good against anything but infantry swarms. The rerolls to hit significantly help the sponsons, which saves it from being bad, but it's still just firmly middling.

The Exterminator (twin autocannon), at 180, is niche. Its ability to add an AP against a target is very nice but an odd addition to a 180 point unit, especially when you could take an alternative that actually has good AP. Again, it's let down by a main gun that's the opposite of minmaxed. The main use for it as a spotter in an artillery-heavy list; it can boost your regular guardsmen's output but that puts some significant positioning pressure on it. This is generally only something you want in a very specific kind of list.

If you're running Leman Russes at all, it needs to be because you want more hulls on the field (or want hulls that come with vehicle orders). Superheavies are more of a skew, Rogal Dorns make better use of orders and hit harder for their points (although it's a close run with Tank Commanders on the latter), artillery can root out hidden units and always applies pressure (and is much cheaper and easier to order if you use the carriage batteries from Imp Armor). So, while it's tempting to go all Demo Commanders (and def take one, prob with Grand Strategist), it's also worth it to see how much you can go afford to downgrade to get more metal on the field.

I appreciate this writeup, I do - I think the exterminator goes better with the list I was talking about, but it got buried two pages back.

Basically it was an armoured fist list, with 4 catachan squads in chimeras, no artillery, and only one leman russ, which was the battle cannon one. I suggested he might find more success with the exterminator with his list, which would add a punch to the chimeras

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
I can recommend the Rogal Dorn tanks if people want something obscenely durable and with a lot of firepower, the one model I've got of them haven't let me down yet.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

3 Action Economist posted:

They've fixed the BA and other indices:

Blood Angels:
Brother Corbulo can now lead Assault Intercessors and Sternguard Veterans
Captain Tycho can now lead Assault Intercessors, Company Heroes, or Sternguard Veterans
Commander Dante can now lead Assault Intercessors with Jump Packs
Death Company Marines with Jump Packs can now be led by any Chaplain that could lead an Assault Squad with Jump Packs
Gabriel Seth can now lead Assault Intercessors, Company Heroes, or Sternguard Veterans
Sanguinary Guard can now be led by any Captain that could lead an Assault Squad with Jump Packs
Sanguinary Priest can now lead Assault Intercessors and Sternguard Veterans
Sanguinary Priest with Jump Pack can now lead Assault Intercessors with Jump Packs

Dark Angels:
Asmodai can now lead Assault Intercessors, Company Heroes, or Sternguard Veterans
Azrael can now lead Company Heroes
Ezekiel can now lead Assault Intercessors, Company Heroes, or Sternguard Veterans

Deathwatch:
Corvus Blackstar: Centurions now take the space of 3 models for transport purposes
Deathwatch Veterans can now be led by any character that could lead Sternguard Veterans
Proteus Kill Team can now be led by any character that could lead Sternguard Veterans

Space Wolves
Can no longer include Apothecaries
Blood Claws can now be led by any character that could lead Assault Intercessors
Grey Hunters: Grav Gun damage changed to 2
Skyclaws can now be led by any character that could lead Assault Intercessors with Jump Packs
Wolf Guard can now be led by any character that could lead Sternguard Veterans

Odd that they didn't throw anything to the Black Templars, but on the other hand the Templars aren't exactly hurting by not being able to throw a Castellan into an intercessor squad.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com...t=jamesw7/12/23

Remember to order all those christmas presents to yourself early, and you might get them in time.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

jadebullet posted:

Odd that they didn't throw anything to the Black Templars, but on the other hand the Templars aren't exactly hurting by not being able to throw a Castellan into an intercessor squad.

Yeah the BT have a whole lot of theory own unique units. They rely a lot less on the SM datasheets.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Tangy Zizzle posted:

Basically it was an armoured fist list, with 4 catachan squads in chimeras, no artillery, and only one leman russ, which was the battle cannon one. I suggested he might find more success with the exterminator with his list, which would add a punch to the chimeras

my point was that the troops and chimeras generally apply so little pressure that that list would be better off with a leman russ that does work on its own. you want an exterminator to go with artillery or some other shooting that can get into position to benefit from the buff (sentinels? ogryn?)

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
Yah sorry, there was only a single bombast field gun in that list I was referring to, it was a 1000 point army

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
A project I'm considering for the new year is to order a bunch of Les Grognards and give Leonitus one of the bicorne heads from the command box.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Guard players are the most boring mfs in the galaxy, Lord Solar and his roborse look great.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Guard players are the most boring mfs in the galaxy, Lord Solar and his roborse look great.

I love the idea of him, I think the guy himself and the horse are great, but I feel like the "faction leader" of the Imperial Guard, a guy with the absurdly pompous title of Lord Solar, should have a retinue of guys. Give him command staff, give him weird little guys with scrolls and censers, give him two different guys with two different extravagant standards.

This official art of him is actually a perfect example of what I mean. Give me those flag guys, give me that hosed up little guy in the foreground. Make the model feel like a commander, and not just some pompous dipshit on a horse.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yup, dude should be god damned diorama. He should have eight banner bearers arranged in two columns with the standards of the famous regimental worlds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Sisters get the Triumph of St. Katherine, I see no reason that the Guard shouldn’t have something equivalently overdone.

Alternative option: a bunch of old guys around a big strategy holotable, any measurements for the model add 60” to reflect they are actually well behind the lines. The Guard player must select a game turn at the beginning of the match, during which the model takes no actions as all the senior staff break for refreshments.