Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I’m not sure the fancier rice cookers are any easier to clean, for what it’s worth. My old fuzzy one had a hinge lid and it was equally challenging to keep it clean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Lazy Fair posted:

For Christmas I was thinking of replacing my $20 Aroma rice cooker with one of those beloved Zojirushi fuzzy logic (tm) rice cookers, however the prices on those seem to have skyrocketed lately and I'm wondering if at that price point I should instead be looking at one of Zojirushi's top end induction heating models instead?

Reasons why I want to replace the basic Aroma rice cooker:

1 The glass lid handle is attached to the glass with 2 screws. This is structurally sound but a cleaning headache as the screws sometimes get exposed to food during cooking and are not easy to clean, and during washing soapy water and food particles can get stuck between the handle and the glass requiring disassembly of what is otherwise a very simple and easy device.

2 The keep warm function doesn't really work well for long durations, so I'd love one which works good so I can just cook 1 batch of rice for multiple meals throughout the day.

Any recommendations, goons? It's kinda hard to tell the difference between a number of their models.

Is there any particular reason you want a fuzzy logic model vs the cheaper micom models? Micom models are hinged and have Keep Warm. The current 3-cup micom models on Amazon are ~$150. I paid $127 for my 3 cup micom model a little over a decade ago, so the price increase hasn't been that much. I don't think I've ever come up with a reason to upgrade to a fuzzy logic model in all that time. Heck the only reason I would upgrade, even now, is just for more capacity. I started cooking brown rice a lot more often and 3 cup models can only cook 2 cups of brown rice max.

Vegetable posted:

I’m not sure the fancier rice cookers are any easier to clean, for what it’s worth. My old fuzzy one had a hinge lid and it was equally challenging to keep it clean.

They aren't, in fact the super premium IH pressure ones are more of a pain since there are more bits to disassemble and clean.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I thought micom and fuzzy logic were synonymous?

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Happiness Commando posted:

They sure don’t make it easy to tell, do they?

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Happiness Commando posted:

Whoops, I was mixing up the terms, Neuro Fuzzy not fuzzy logic. Micom and Neuro Fuzzy are both fuzzy logic. Just Neuro Fuzzy is just more advanced (some how) and has more settings. Though to make things more confusing, there are advanced Micom models that do a lot of the things the Neuro Fuzzy stuff does and are more expensive as a result. To the point they overlap in price point with the lower end Neuro Fuzzy models...

mystes
May 31, 2006

I only buy rice cookers that use llms to cook rice

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I honestly don't know what the different models do but I bought a pressure induction heating Zojirushi rice cooker in 2008 when I was living in Japan, brought it back to the states, and still use it multiple times a week. Other than the internal battery dying and it no longer keeping the time unless I plug it in, it works and looks just like new. I paid ¥20,000 at the time which was a little less than $200 USD and it looks like they're almost 3x that now, I'd pay full price for a new one tomorrow if mine died today. It only has 4 parts you have to clean and if you're making white rice you really only need to clean the bowl which is very easy. A++ would recommend.

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Dec 4, 2023

Lazy Fair
Sep 23, 2019
Yeah I don't really understand the differences (if any) between the micom and neuro fuzzy logic or whatever its called, I just know people consistently say they're great rice cookers. Also not really interested in pressure cooking models.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I know they're fuzzy and whatever but I've never seen my zoji ever adjust cooking time. Isn't that what the fuzzy logic stuff is supposed to do? I set it to go, usually on quick setting, and 40min later I'm riced. Always exactly 40min.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I got a panasonic 8 cup something like 7 years ago and it says "fuzzy logic", but its always in quotes. It gets the job done and keeps warm fine. If it breaks I will probably upgrade, but it also has done a perfectly servicable job for $80.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

VelociBacon posted:

I know they're fuzzy and whatever but I've never seen my zoji ever adjust cooking time. Isn't that what the fuzzy logic stuff is supposed to do? I set it to go, usually on quick setting, and 40min later I'm riced. Always exactly 40min.
I assume it's just a PID. So what it's doing is adjusting the duty cycle of the heating element to approximate a pre-defined time/temperature curve. In other words it's not trying to adjust the time, it's trying to adjust the temperature to finish at a set time.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

My understanding is the neurofuzzy machines are able to make up for issues like "using twice as much water as you should" with the rice still coming out perfect, and assuming you can use the right amount of water you won't see much advantage?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Nephzinho posted:

I got a panasonic 8 cup something like 7 years ago and it says "fuzzy logic", but its always in quotes. It gets the job done and keeps warm fine. If it breaks I will probably upgrade, but it also has done a perfectly servicable job for $80.

Yeah okay but what music does it sing to you?

Sextro posted:

My understanding is the neurofuzzy machines are able to make up for issues like "using twice as much water as you should" with the rice still coming out perfect, and assuming you can use the right amount of water you won't see much advantage?

SubG posted:

I assume it's just a PID. So what it's doing is adjusting the duty cycle of the heating element to approximate a pre-defined time/temperature curve. In other words it's not trying to adjust the time, it's trying to adjust the temperature to finish at a set time.

Ah that probably explains it. I'd rather have great rice sooner tbh. The biggest downside of the zoji is that it takes like 50% longer to cook the rice vs lovely dept store cookers.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Sextro posted:

I can’t imagine any rice cooker can adjust for double water usage. The water has to go somewhere? There’s only so much you can boil off.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

SubG posted:

I think PID loops are distinct from fuzzy logic, mathematically. IDK much about how to set up a fuzzy controller, but a while back I did a little reading on control theory and that’s what I got out of it. The PID loop is limited to just having a response to the three terms, the fuzzy logic is more general.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Vegetable posted:

I can’t imagine any rice cooker can adjust for double water usage. The water has to go somewhere? There’s only so much you can boil off.

Yeah IME the harder you cook it the faster the rice is done, so you can only do so much.

Do they have some kind of steam valve? I figure with that you could get a much bigger range of water to rice ratios work.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I wanna get a wok to make popcorn in specifically. I use a big metal mixing bowl atm but it's a bit flimsy and unwieldly so I would rather use a small wok.

Specifically I don't want to make a huge amount of popcorn, so I'm wondering which size I should get. Also brands/construction if it matters. Anybody who has maybe some experience with woks who can give me an idea for a size?

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Agent355 posted:

I wanna get a wok to make popcorn in specifically. I use a big metal mixing bowl atm but it's a bit flimsy and unwieldly so I would rather use a small wok.

Specifically I don't want to make a huge amount of popcorn, so I'm wondering which size I should get. Also brands/construction if it matters. Anybody who has maybe some experience with woks who can give me an idea for a size?

If you looking for something to specifically make stovetop popcorn, have you considered an aluminum Whirley-Pop?

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Nah, I like the texture you get from cooking in oil in a big bowl. Other methods have had slightly different texture to the kernels. (also lack of cabinet space so I want a pot I can use for other things too)

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Dec 5, 2023

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Eeyo posted:

I think PID loops are distinct from fuzzy logic, mathematically.
They are, but I'm saying that I think Zojirushi's "Neuro Fuzzy logic" rice cookers are just using PIDs, not a "true" fuzzy control system. That's just based on their own descriptions of the functionality and observation of their cookers in practice, I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Agent355 posted:

14”, carbon steel, round bottom with a gas ring if you have a gas stove, flat bottom if you must. Brand is totally unimportant.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Reusable abrasive scrubbing pad.

The steel wool I get at my local store is floppy and hard to work with. Brillo pads are tiny and fall apart after a few minutes use. Can you recommend a good brand of steel wool pad?

A disposable steel wool pad would be okay, but if there's something reusable that's even better. Just something I can use to scrub steel and aluminum roasting pans as well as stainless steel coookware.

Follow on: For abrasive powders, is there anything better than Barkeep's Friend? I use it and love it. I'm just curious what similar products are out there.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Other than barkeepers ive only used salt and baking soda as abrasives followed up with rinsing, vinegar and another pass with a brush or reusable scotch pad before water rinsing.

Barkeepers was better overall ime

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY

Bagheera posted:

Reusable abrasive scrubbing pad.

I use a chain link pad that looks like tiny chainmail that I got on Amazon for scrubbing my cast iron

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

My zoji seems to usually not take the full hour on the regular rice setting. I wager adjusting the timer is fuzzy

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Vegetable posted:

i forget where this review is but i read one that did just this, test using significantly wrong ratios (tho i think more like "50% more water than you should've used" or something along those lines, not double)

the takeaway was that the zojis do a good job at making rice that would be hosed up in other cookers basically okay. textures are definitely not perfect but you get an edible product instead of a blown out starchy mess, within reason

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I'm going to deep fry some stuff for the first time tomorrow in my cast iron crock pot. What do I do with the spent oil? What is the best way to dispose of it? Any other tips for a first time fryer?

oh rly
Feb 22, 2006
oh rly ya rly no wai

obi_ant posted:

I'm going to deep fry some stuff for the first time tomorrow in my cast iron crock pot. What do I do with the spent oil? What is the best way to dispose of it? Any other tips for a first time fryer?

I like saving a juice or milk carton to put the used oil in. I use a funnel to make it easier to pour in.

If you have a small amount of oil, you can put a zip lock bag in a pint glass and pour it in.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I just toss it in the bayou out back

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I filter it through a fine steel mesh and keep it in a half gallon ball jar. I use it a few times a year and toss it either when it gets off color or starts to smell weird. Its plant material in the end so I throw it into the compost pile or pour along a fence line.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I just toss it in the bayou out back

Isn't that how you get oilygators?

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

I try to size the pot so I can use a whole bottle of oil, then sieve it back into the same bottle. Eventually it gets old enough, or I fry fish, and I mark the bottle and buy a new one. My municipality has a household waste drop-off that I take the bottles to when I have enough to stop being lazy about it.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Can anyone recommend an oil for maintaining wooden spoons and handles, ideally with an amazon link? I know it’s one of those debate topics, but I just want the two-sentence version, please (please)

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
I just get mineral oil from the pharmacy. You can buy food grade mineral oil for more money from Amazon, but I don’t know why that would be safer than the pharmaceutical grade, which is safe to swallow, with a dose of a tablespoon.

The downside of mineral oil is you have to reapply it every few months. If you don’t want to deal with that you can use pure tung oil which is food safe when fully cured, a few days after application. Make sure to get pure tung oil; “tung oil finish” is usually thinned with a solvent which may not be food safe.

hypnophant fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 13, 2023

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Anne Whateley posted:

Can anyone recommend an oil for maintaining wooden spoons and handles, ideally with an amazon link? I know it’s one of those debate topics, but I just want the two-sentence version, please (please)

I use this on my wood handled knives, rolling pins, etc. it’s good, odorless, does what it says on the tin: Thirteen Chefs Mineral Oil https://a.co/d/dTbxfiV

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I use a mix of beeswax and mineral oil on my cutting boards, but I wonder if the wax is really doing much once a board has been wiped down a few times. does it actually get absorbed?

mineral oil alone would be a lot simpler

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I use the ikea mineral oil they sell near the cutting boards. I wouldn't make a special trip just for it, but I'm there once a year or so anyway

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I’ve lubed my can opener with mineral oil.

Hey it’s food safe right? Got that little fucker to turn smooth as butter and stop squeaking.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Can openers are made of surprisingly poo poo steel considering how much washing they’re expected to go through

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Okay, this is a bit of an unusual request, but I've started up some indoor herbs but I'm afraid that my cat will eat them all while I'm at work once they start to sprout and grow. Does anyone know of a setup that'll keep cats out but not also be annoying to get around when I'm cooking?