Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Slugworth posted:

This man is incorrect, please don't plug a suicide cord into a pug.

Watched a documentary on Netflix that included a guy who murdered horses at their owners' request as part of an insurance fraud scheme.
His difficult to detect method of choice was an extension cord in the horse's anus to electrocute it, because even to a veterinarian's eye it looked pretty similar to when a horse thinks about ants and becomes mortally colic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Well that's loving horrific, but honestly has left me wondering how expensive horse insurance must be.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

PittTheElder posted:

Well that's loving horrific, but honestly has left me wondering how expensive horse insurance must be.

Considering even a relatively fancy horse is basically the cost of a small house that actively wants to burn down, I'm guessing a lot.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
https://i.imgur.com/Gpn8Loc.mp4

The logos keep being pretty great.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

half the reason to post toolgifs gifs these days is to play find the logo

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

That one was fairly obvious.

But still friction welding is both awesome and terrifying

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

DelphiAegis posted:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

DelphiAegis posted:

Oh hey I did this (more than) once with a drill bit. Check your coolant levels.

nollij
Aug 30, 2006

Wait, wait, wait...

When did this happen?!?

OwlFancier posted:

Reminds me of the oil site I worked at breifly where the office complex is abandoned because the managment did not want to work "inside the blast radius" so they relocated somewhere else :v:

Guess I'm a few pages back...

I don't think "want" had anything to do with it. BP Texas City and other incidents made a step change in facility siting practices, including abandoning existing structures.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

nollij posted:

Guess I'm a few pages back...

I don't think "want" had anything to do with it. BP Texas City and other incidents made a step change in facility siting practices, including abandoning existing structures.

Yeah but have you considered that we should go in the other direction?

Make them fear the sword of Damocles.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

lmao

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

DelphiAegis posted:

That person is an artist

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/pPnvP5m.mp4

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

anylandingyouwalkawayfrom.mp4

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
I'll be honest I feel like an unpowered glide landing would have resulted in less damage

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

ol qwerty bastard posted:

I'll be honest I feel like an unpowered glide landing would have resulted in less damage

Assuming you can find an open, flat place to put it down. The parachute lets you land safely in the middle of a forest.

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

ol qwerty bastard posted:

I'll be honest I feel like an unpowered glide landing would have resulted in less damage to his underwear.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Everyone is Bob Hoover till they hit a wire.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/axh1SJS.mp4

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I was expecting them to say r/toolgifs on the inside.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Those layered candy making videos are, for me, the closest thing to what I imagine asmr is like for some people.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

ASMR except it makes me hungry instead of wanting to stick an icepick into my ears :hmmyes:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Roundup Ready posted:

Considering even a relatively fancy horse is basically the cost of a small house that actively wants to burn down, I'm guessing a lot.

Yeah it was a confluence of several bad incentives. Horses have a very wide range of values, from scrap rate at the glue factory to millions of dollars for horses that win big purses at competitions and then have a long-lived second income stream in breeding.

People buy horses from breeders with notable bloodlines for a small fortune. Then they spend more money on training, care, and whatever else to try to turn their horse into a champion. An insurer says, sure, you paid $150k for this horse that could end up being worth 10x that amount, we'll insure it as an asset for $150k.
It's a bit like buying a lottery scratcher ticket that you get to gradually scratch off over the next 2 years. You might figure out pretty soon that you aren't holding a jackpot ticket, and you've got an average or below average horse that has no chance of winning anything big. Maybe they get injured, are not hitting training milestones, or they're just slow. They're a dud, and won't win back their purchase price, much less cover their ongoing expenses.
You can't sell the horse for what you paid for it anymore, because everyone can now see that the horse's earning potential is not good. But if the horse dies, you get an insurance payout and cut your losses.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

MrYenko posted:

I was expecting them to say r/toolgifs on the inside.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Captain Hygiene posted:

ASMR except it makes me hungry instead of wanting to stick an icepick into my ears :hmmyes:

:hmmyes:

It's like glassblowing and shaping, except you can touch it and eat it.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

:hmmyes:

It's like glassblowing and shaping, except you can touch it and eat it.

You can touch and eat glassblowing.

Once.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/kLIShdA.mp4

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Where's the Simpsons doink?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
those things loving hurt, stopped one with my shin once, huge mistake.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Struck by pitch—cameraman advances to first basket

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

canyoneer posted:

Watched a documentary on Netflix that included a guy who murdered horses at their owners' request as part of an insurance fraud scheme.
His difficult to detect method of choice was an extension cord in the horse's anus to electrocute it, because even to a veterinarian's eye it looked pretty similar to when a horse thinks about ants and becomes mortally colic.

to add to this, it's very easy to be a corrupt veterinarian, because it's a vastly under-regulated field that has access to huuuuge quantities of cheap drugs that are just as fine of quality as what you'd get from a pharmacist. consider Ketamine, the most popular club drug at the moment. That's just a horse tranquilizer.

consider pet insurance, a quickly expanding market that is very vulnerable to fraud. insuring an animal like a horse that has a value is one thing, doing fraud there will get you looked at, but doing low value fraud by gathering strays and insuring them and then "doing" unnecessary procedures just to disappear small quantities of narcotics isn't going to attract the attention of the insurance house if you make your money selling the drugs instead of bilking the insurance house. if they make their money they're not going to look twice, hell, they probably won't even look the first time.

e: and lets say they do come looking to verify whether the procedures were necessary. "oh no, sparky died, we don't keep records past then"

BasicLich fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Dec 7, 2023

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

CainFortea posted:

You can touch and eat glassblowing.

Once.

Did ya hear what happened to the glassblower who inhaled?

He got a pane in his chest.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

BasicLich posted:

to add to this, it's very easy to be a corrupt veterinarian, because it's a vastly under-regulated field that has access to huuuuge quantities of cheap drugs that are just as fine of quality as what you'd get from a pharmacist. consider Ketamine, the most popular club drug at the moment. That's just a horse tranquilizer.

I used to know a lady that had an epileptic black lab and every 6 months she brought home a brand-spanking new, uncracked pharmacy bottle of phenobarbital lol

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Is nominative determinism a thing for dogs? Do labs do more “research chemicals” than other breeds?

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!
this isn't even a new development, older sources I know in the equestrian community say that the biggest coke dealer they ever knew was a vet who specialized in horse dentistry and this was back in the 1980s. nobody ever asks where it comes from

e: oh here's another fun story, my mom had a big great dane, just the biggest sweet baby, completely afraid of loud noises. got prescribed dog xanax. Uncle I always thought was a scumbag came to visit and stole the prescription. my mother searched his vehicle surreptitiously and the bottle was found.

SCUMBAG CONFIRMED

BasicLich fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Dec 7, 2023

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Computer viking posted:

I'm in Norway, most of the country is wired IT style where you only bring the live phases out to the consumer, who provides their own protective ground. The 240V phase-to-phase is the desired consumer equipment voltage, and the phases are indeed just 120V or so to ground.

I don't know how the transformer side is wired, but the phase-to-ground is supposed to be stable - that is, the DC component is 0V to ground. Presumably that means the transformer is referenced to its local ground, so the largest difference you can get between them is some sort of function of the ground conductivity?

I've heard something about how you where moving from this to harmonize with the rest of the nordics? i.e. 400V phase to phase and 230V phase to neutral. I have an old kemppi stick welder from the 80s that runs on single phase, but you can hook it up to two phases for 400V "single phase" operation.

A lot of old resistance heaters in houses are made this way as well.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

We are slowly moving to TN, yes - most or all new installations are TN, but it takes a long time to migrate a whole country at replacement speed. The main driver seems to be EV chargers and not harmonisation for its own sake, though.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

BasicLich posted:

consider pet insurance, a quickly expanding market that is very vulnerable to fraud. insuring an animal like a horse that has a value is one thing, doing fraud there will get you looked at, but doing low value fraud by gathering strays and insuring them and then "doing" unnecessary procedures just to disappear small quantities of narcotics isn't going to attract the attention of the insurance house if you make your money selling the drugs instead of bilking the insurance house. if they make their money they're not going to look twice, hell, they probably won't even look the first time.

e: and lets say they do come looking to verify whether the procedures were necessary. "oh no, sparky died, we don't keep records past then"
We track controlled drugs in the same fashion as human medicine, and we are legally bound to keep records for deceased/inactive patients for 5 years.

The idea that the industry lends itself to corruption is sort of a strange argument to be made at a time when every fifth show on a streaming service is about the opioid epidemic.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
How do I find a veterinarian willing to sew me up quietly after a gunfight, like in the movies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Save *their* life in an earlier gunfight, that usually works