Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Captain Theron posted:

I've never understood this, do people just never look at their subscription tab? It has everything the people you follow post, in chronological order! Why let a computer decide what you watch?

Because that involves extra steps and people don't want to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Captain Theron posted:

I've never understood this, do people just never look at their subscription tab? It has everything the people you follow post, in chronological order! Why let a computer decide what you watch?

Because I don't want to actually watch 4 thousand Hindi music videos every day.
(T-series ftw. Go gently caress yerself poody)

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

I've literally never touched the subscribe button on Youtube. I don't have a reason, I just don't use it.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Captain Theron posted:

this poo poo makes me insane. there was def a period of time when people rightly turned up their nose at the idea of a computer trying to choose for them. now people act like its the backbone of reality

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Back when Tumblr and Twitter were both rolling out Suggested Posts and everyone loving hated them, I used to joke that the ideal social media website for corporations wouldn't have friending or following features, because from their point of view there's no reason for users to be able to choose what they want to see. This is basically TikTok.

mycot fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Dec 7, 2023

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Mapmenmapmenmapmapmapmenmenmenmen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cD4hxKkqR4E

cugel
Jan 22, 2010
don't like don't comment don't subscribe

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Captain Theron posted:

Because the computer can suggest things it thinks I might like and then I can try them or not. It's the equivalent of looking through the TV Guide. And most everything I am subscribed to does get put on the front page anyway. If something's really obviously missing it'll be from someone I like enough that I know when they post (for example, LGR is on Fridays) and can manually look for it myself.

Also I'm subscribed to way more channels than I actually want to watch at any given time of the day.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

cugel posted:

don't like don't comment don't subscribe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66CaiSf7oyk&t=7s

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

fun hater posted:

this poo poo makes me insane. there was def a period of time when people rightly turned up their nose at the idea of a computer trying to choose for them. now people act like its the backbone of reality

I'm amazed Twitter still has a non-algorthimic feed as an option.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I'm amazed Twitter still has a non-algorthimic feed as an option.

isn't it more 'again, after backlash' rather than 'still'

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth

Captain Theron posted:

A huge number of people simply do not look at anything other than their main feed, on any website. YouTube, Instagram, whatever it is, they either assume they're being given content they want, or don't care enough to change the habit. Never overestimate people's willingness to make a small change in their tech habits.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Is there a thread I'm missing somewhere for "chill-tube" recommendations?

Feel like a lot of what is posted and in the OP is cultural critics/reviewers, etc. We like to end the night watching real chill long-form type youtube videos that are just really calm and relaxing and I was looking to see if there was a consolidated list of recommendations that would fit that bill.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I honestly haven't kept the OP updated in ages and the span of the thread has grown wider anyway since. I'm sure people have good suggestions.

cugel
Jan 22, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45VsacBqfnc

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MMD3 posted:

Is there a thread I'm missing somewhere for "chill-tube" recommendations?

Feel like a lot of what is posted and in the OP is cultural critics/reviewers, etc. We like to end the night watching real chill long-form type youtube videos that are just really calm and relaxing and I was looking to see if there was a consolidated list of recommendations that would fit that bill.

not directly chill tube but this might help: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3885043

also if you want chilltube stuff and are willing to do unsolved mystery things try "don't look at me" and Lazy Masquerade

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Day six of BALD CHRISTMAS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELBmCp65HkM

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

it's like a clip of a scientist presenting a hairless male chimpanzee various human objects and toys to inspect and play with

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
like I'm just waiting for the part where Stuart becomes irate at having one of his dolls taken away and rips Daniel's face off + starts chewing off his eyes and nose

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Captain Theron posted:

If you're subscribed to a couple dozen things and don't keep on top of it, it's easy for it to get buried.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Because that involves extra steps and people don't want to do that.

Just set the subscription page to your bookmark. Now it's one click to get there.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

DeathSandwich posted:

If you're subscribed to a couple dozen things and don't keep on top of it, it's easy for it to get buried.

I can't wait to show you the wonders of the scroll wheel.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

B33rChiller posted:

Because I don't want to actually watch 4 thousand Hindi music videos every day.
(T-series ftw. Go gently caress yerself poody)

I get what you mean because NBA highlights crowd my subscription feed, but I actually enjoy watching the NBA. Why make your YouTube experience worse for a record label whose artists you don't even listen to?

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Grassy Knowles posted:

i'm telling earth

"Good" - Earth, maybe, idk, i don't have have a brain the size planet , that's some other wacky robot

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I Before E posted:

I get what you mean because NBA highlights crowd my subscription feed, but I actually enjoy watching the NBA. Why make your YouTube experience worse for a record label whose artists you don't even listen to?

I do listen, it's just that they put out so, so much content that it overwhelms most everything else in the subscription tab, that's all.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Halibut Barn posted:

There's already been a case where a professor accused a bunch of students after he plugged their papers into ChatGPT and asked "was this plagiarized?" and it incorrectly told him "oh yeah, that's totally plagiarism."

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/chatgpt-dupes-professor-trying-to-catch-ai-plagiarism/

Someone might be able to come up with a better LLM aimed specifically at plagiarism detection, rather than a general-purpose one like the GPTs, but that's niche enough that I'm sure it'd be a closed, paid service.

Fil5000 posted:

I don't think they can at this point because they don't understand the content at all. They can probably tell you if it's the same words in the same order as something in their training data set, but all they know how to do is bolt words together into something that looks like other stuff they've seen.

I'm not saying these opportunistic channels would be accurate, I'm just saying they could handwave their way to views or to hit their political target of choice.

You could manufacture a hit piece pretty easy with a few sentence fragments as evidence enough to convince people already in search of blood. Besides, there's only so many ways you can describe RAID: Shadow Legends, the immersive online experience with everything you'd expect from a brand new RPG title. It's got an amazing storyline, awesome 3D graphics, giant boss fights, PVP battles, and hundreds of never before seen champions to collect and customize.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Fil5000 posted:

You Can (Not) Write Video Essays.

get in the editing booth, shinji

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Zetsubou-san posted:

“awww dude, they’re already giving hbomberguy the holy stigmata. we gotta hurry this poo poo up”

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I know everyone will be surprised to hear this, and you may want to sit down, but... Internet Historian did not get in contact with the original Man in Cave author, probably not Mental Floss either, and did not "work" anything "out" with him.

https://www.reddit.com/r/youtubedrama/s/lLjStclZEe

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

That link just goes to a reddit login prompt.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Not if you're already logged in

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Ariong posted:

That link just goes to a reddit login prompt.
Works for me but here's the image from it.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Zetsubou-san posted:

lol

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Of course IH never reached out to the author of Cave Story.

https://x.com/mirage_sessions/status/1732512704462503960?s=46

https://x.com/hbomberguy/status/1732523464211509411?s=46

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/Wendigoon8/status/1732418869896110527

huh that's weird, i wonder what happened

https://twitter.com/CountDankulaTV/status/1732500362546839973

oh no lmao

e: for the record i still don't know what's going on but getting an endorsement from this guy made me laugh

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

no

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

euroshopper posted:

reminder that the classical liberal intellectual skeptic commentary titan "Internet Aristocrat" pivoted from making epic xD troll videos on severely disabled deviantart kids to obtaining steve bannon and peter thiel money whining over mildly annoying lib games journalists. dude helped start the entire anti-progressive geek drama culture that has taken over the broad cultural war and will only by mourned by nihilistic wannabe school shooters once he dies

speaking of which, turns out this guy is not only not dead like what many claimed, but probably never had cancer either

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah I don't see any of Elon or his hanger on unless it's a friend of mine making fun of them.

My Twitter feed: glamor shots of the male leads from a Kamen Rider homoerorically playing chess, a Vinny vinesause clip, my friend liveblogging watching a 3rd tier mecha show from 15 years ago, someone embroidering quotes from GL manga onto pillows, sailor moon themed high heel collection, gashapon toys, my friends ff14 oc comics, color scheme swatches.

You literally build your timeline yourself.

eh....this is how it used to be but no longer. ever since elon took over he's made it impossible to avoid garbage rightwing accounts showing up on your feed. whatever problems twitter had before, i never had this one before elon got his chubby little mitts on them

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Anyone not complaining about the algorithm ruling over every screen-focused aspect of their life must be running 6 different extensions and 3 kinds of blocklists.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Somerton's co-writer has left the channel and is urging James to refund the Indie GoGo campaign

https://www.ntherrgott.com/responseto

Wonder if he'll also address the fact that he just makes poo poo up and presents it as fact

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

There's too much content on Youtube to not have a computer sorting through it to try and find interesting things.