Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
yeah you could get a divider/breeder net and separate the males

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/imagitarium-aquarium-divider

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/imagitarium-aquarium-net-breeder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

From what I remember livebearers don’t immediately become deformed if they inbreed a little, it takes something like 8 generations before health effects become a problem. So while splitting your males and females to prevent population explosion is probably a good idea, and adding new fish from different sources to keep the genes fresh is also a good idea if you are intentionally breeding, you aren’t immediately going to run into a problem. Which reminds me, I really should grab a pair of endlers while the fish shipping weather is still mild. My population bottleneck got down to two females and four males, and currently the population is back to uncountable probably more than 20, and I’m not seeing any obvious problems. But I’d like to keep it that way.

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

Yeah, you've gotta remember that getting with your sibling is pretty common amongst animals, especially as you get to smaller and "simpler" species. It usually will cause problems eventually, but it might take a bunch of generations.

For example, when you do scientific research, you want to minimize absolutely any differences you can. Because of this, if animals are involved, you want them to be as similar as possible. In mice, different strains are established by breeding brother to sister for 20-30 generations. By then their genetics of any two individuals are very, very similar to one another. Mutations do arise (and are often the point), but some are completely fine. You can keep on inbreeding them to keep the strain going. Your classic white lab mouse strain was developed nearly 100 years ago and some lines are at 200+ generations.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I hate to sound like I am down with the game of thrones breeding style, but I have not added any new mouse blood to my breeding stock in a few years now, mostly due to the annoyance of quarantining and the fact the last time I did, most of the new mice died in quarantine.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Prof. Banks posted:

Yeah, you've gotta remember that getting with your sibling is pretty common amongst animals, especially as you get to smaller and "simpler" species. It usually will cause problems eventually, but it might take a bunch of generations.

For example, when you do scientific research, you want to minimize absolutely any differences you can. Because of this, if animals are involved, you want them to be as similar as possible. In mice, different strains are established by breeding brother to sister for 20-30 generations. By then their genetics of any two individuals are very, very similar to one another. Mutations do arise (and are often the point), but some are completely fine. You can keep on inbreeding them to keep the strain going. Your classic white lab mouse strain was developed nearly 100 years ago and some lines are at 200+ generations.

This rules, I was wondering yesterday if I was going to accidentally create habsburg endlers if I didn't add more soon.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Cowslips Warren posted:

I hate to sound like I am down with the game of thrones breeding style, but I have not added any new mouse blood to my breeding stock in a few years now, mostly due to the annoyance of quarantining and the fact the last time I did, most of the new mice died in quarantine.

i think the problem is that your keeping your mice in an aquarium

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

The Nastier Nate posted:

i think the problem is that your keeping your mice in an aquarium

In fairness, I've actually downsized and no longer have mice and aquariums, but in a nice rack system where they get a lot more airflow. 🙂

Has anyone found any online fish supply stores that are actually doing a decent Black Friday sale? That's the only thing I'm actually looking for this year. Either for livestock or goods.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Cowslips Warren posted:

In fairness, I've actually downsized and no longer have mice and aquariums, but in a nice rack system where they get a lot more airflow. 🙂

Has anyone found any online fish supply stores that are actually doing a decent Black Friday sale? That's the only thing I'm actually looking for this year. Either for livestock or goods.

dunno where your located but if your in the philly area i just spent a bunch today on a place i go to with 20% of all livestock.

my promise to myself to not get any more stuff until after new years did not make it past black Friday sales

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I am the king of forgetting to shut of my RO/DI system. I swear I probably have wasted 3x as much as I've ever used. Left it on overnight again last night. There are never floods because I fill 5 gallon water cooler jugs in my laundry sink, but I JUST changed the resin last week and now it's half used up. And it's a huge pain in the rear end to change. UGH. I hate this addiction.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Sockser posted:

My shrimp tank, overnight, has exploded with like 60 or more bladder snails. Fantastic. Cool.
I think it's way too many for me to even entertain the idea of picking them out individually.

Tank inhabitants:
3 Endler's
1 Rabbit Snail
1 Nerite
15-20 neocaridina

Is the move to remove the other snails and drop an assassin snail in the tank?

Good snails haven't been all that active lately, so I threw in an algae wafer for them and the shrimp, not really thinking too much about it
Was brilliant bait for bladder snails
Sand substrate that hasn't had plants take over yet meant I could basically just scoop up that entire corner of the tank and sift out the sand, leaving a net with 40 or so bladder snails in it, hell yeah.

Gonna wait a few days and try this trick again

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

My favourite online fish store restocked and at the same time some money was unexpectedly refunded to my account so I’m finally buying some fish and it’s like I’m getting them for free! Looking at my account history it seems like every year since 2018 at this time of year I buy another shipment of fish so it must be that last gasp of mild weather before the scorching heat kicks in that pushes me each time. And surely this mild weather won’t last.

I’m getting a couple of pairs of generic endlers since they look pretty much like what I already have, a top up for the ember tetra school since the first batch have done so well for me and some of the rasboras that share that tank have died of old age, I think 7 or 8 years old, so there’s a bit more room now. And for new fish I’ve grabbed some medaka because apparently I’m addicted to orange pond fish that are not goldfish, and lastly some sparkling gourami. I have wanted to keep these for a long time but it’s the first time in years that the combination of weather, fish availability and my own availability have lined up to make it possible. They’re small enough that if I end up with a bunch of angry males that I need to split up, I have enough peaceful nanofish tanks on the go that I can give them all a safe home. I still wanted more Redfin danio (out of stock), yoyo loaches (no room to quarantine) and palmeri emperor tetras (not sure which tank they’d do well in) and cherry barbs and Odessa barbs (honestly I have enough barbs by now) and clown killifish (water requirements are doable but would complicate my routine and not sure how easy they are to feed, too much like hard work). And so on, it seems there are still plenty of fish to keep me interested in the hobby years into the future as my tanks evolve and livestock age out.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Finally shifting my 10G to a new 20G tank. I'm moving over the canister filter/hardscape/plants (no CO2) but I'm considering using controsoil to better support rooted plants. I'm thinking through a few options - all controsoil, a patch of controsoil in the spot I want to grow specific plants, or a layer of controsoil under the inert substrate I'm using now (which they seem to advise against as it can prematurely break up the granules?).

I'm also seeing varying reports on whether this is something I need to soak for a week before adding livestock to avoid ammonia spikes. Also that the active soils can mess with water chemistry if left alone too long.

Anyone have related experience with it? I'm coming at this from the perspective of wanting low maintenance, but healthy plants/livestock and wondering if this stuff is compatible with that kinda goal.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Nov 28, 2023

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I’m specifically considering a kind of baked plant substrate that doesn’t crumble and need replacing and doesn’t ammonia spike, to avoid those problems. I think some of the breaky-down type substrates are fine for tanks where the plants are the focus and aquascaping is the goal, and the tank is likely to get broken down/replanted by the end of the lifespan of the substrate. I don’t want that, I don’t have the kind of money to run and redo high tech tanks. I have had a couple of bags of some random substrates, the very earliest one is a lot like small grains of the clay stuff aquaponics uses, it’s a bit floaty when it’s dry but my plants were very happy it in. Next had a bag of black Azoo brand “plant bed” which claimed to be some kind of baked Japanese volcanic ash. My plants liked that a lot too, it was smaller grains again which seemed to suit the plants more. I have crypts growing in that at the moment. I haven’t seen it again but there’s one called Golden Tree which looks exactly the same that I’d like to get. They don’t seem to drop pH which I don’t need since I don’t keep that kind of fish/shrimp. I like a black substrate for bringing out colours in my fish so I don’t cap it, if you get any kind of movement in your tank at all your cap has to be bigger diameter than what it’s covering since the big particles self sift to the top.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Stoca Zola posted:

I’m specifically considering a kind of baked plant substrate that doesn’t crumble and need replacing and doesn’t ammonia spike, to avoid those problems. I think some of the breaky-down type substrates are fine for tanks where the plants are the focus and aquascaping is the goal, and the tank is likely to get broken down/replanted by the end of the lifespan of the substrate. I don’t want that, I don’t have the kind of money to run and redo high tech tanks. I have had a couple of bags of some random substrates, the very earliest one is a lot like small grains of the clay stuff aquaponics uses, it’s a bit floaty when it’s dry but my plants were very happy it in. Next had a bag of black Azoo brand “plant bed” which claimed to be some kind of baked Japanese volcanic ash. My plants liked that a lot too, it was smaller grains again which seemed to suit the plants more. I have crypts growing in that at the moment. I haven’t seen it again but there’s one called Golden Tree which looks exactly the same that I’d like to get. They don’t seem to drop pH which I don’t need since I don’t keep that kind of fish/shrimp. I like a black substrate for bringing out colours in my fish so I don’t cap it, if you get any kind of movement in your tank at all your cap has to be bigger diameter than what it’s covering since the big particles self sift to the top.

that stuff’s basically kanuma/bonsai substrate/turface/baked clay and will absolutely break down over time

any reason aqua-soil, Fluval Stratum/BioStratum, etc doesn’t work for you? I have it in my tanks and it doesn’t seem to have broken down much yet

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

I'm leaning toward just the same boring inert substrate I use in the 10G just to reduce maintenance.

For plants I've got a variety of established Anubias, Cryptocoryne Lucens, and some flame moss. Plus a big ring full of dwarf water lettuce on the surface. Going to add Anacharis Elodea and Limnophila sessiliflora with the new build to give more vertical plant coverage.

For fish I've got 7 Celestial Pearl Danios and a single fat Oto. Adding 8 Emerald Dwarf Rasbora and 6 Rosy Loaches, possibly a pair of otos to keep the loner company.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Ok Comboomer posted:

any reason aqua-soil, Fluval Stratum/BioStratum, etc doesn’t work for you? I have it in my tanks and it doesn’t seem to have broken down much yet

Mostly because of Australia tax/inflated "name brand" prices, the Azoo, Up Aqua, Golden Tree brands aren't imported from as far away and honestly I don't want active substrates dropping my pH. That stuff makes sense for crystal shrimp but not for the bulk of my fish. The Azoo and Up Aqua that I already have (remembered the brand name this time!) has held up for years for me and I guess I remember that bad batch of ADA that went crumbly/stinky fairly quickly, I should try harder to remember that it isn't always like that. ADA is way too premium for my pocket though.

Warbadger, none of those plants sound like they need a ton of root feeding, especially if your crypts are already happy with however you're growing them - are you using root tabs? I think the other ones are leaf feeders anyway so you could get by with a liquid feeder.

I'm pretty mad right now about the fish I ordered. The seller had them packed and to the courier on Monday. The courier then sat on the package for a whole day with no movement. Today it went from city to city then stopped again. So it could be as late as tomorrow afternoon or even Friday morning before it gets here; meanwhile the courier is telling the seller yes yes we will "try" to deliver by Wednesday afternoon. The seller has paid for express shipping but it does not feel like the courier is putting in a good faith attempt to achieve any kind of express delivery. At least, they're all tiny fish so they shouldn't foul their bags too much or run out of air, the weather is fairly mild and the seller used a 72 hour heat pack just in case. I'm sure the medaka will be fine but who knows about everyone else. I'm thinking the endlers might fare worst, maybe the tetras won't like being chilled either. From what I've read gourami are tougher than they look but I have no experience with them. I hate the waiting, worrying about whats happening to those poor fish makes me feel sick but the local stores do such a bad job with fish husbandry that I am not interested in getting parasite filled half dead fish even if they ever did have species I'm interested in in stock, which they don't.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Stoca Zola posted:

Mostly because of Australia tax/inflated "name brand" prices, the Azoo, Up Aqua, Golden Tree brands aren't imported from as far away and honestly I don't want active substrates dropping my pH. That stuff makes sense for crystal shrimp but not for the bulk of my fish. The Azoo and Up Aqua that I already have (remembered the brand name this time!) has held up for years for me and I guess I remember that bad batch of ADA that went crumbly/stinky fairly quickly, I should try harder to remember that it isn't always like that. ADA is way too premium for my pocket though.

Warbadger, none of those plants sound like they need a ton of root feeding, especially if your crypts are already happy with however you're growing them - are you using root tabs? I think the other ones are leaf feeders anyway so you could get by with a liquid feeder.

I'm pretty mad right now about the fish I ordered. The seller had them packed and to the courier on Monday. The courier then sat on the package for a whole day with no movement. Today it went from city to city then stopped again. So it could be as late as tomorrow afternoon or even Friday morning before it gets here; meanwhile the courier is telling the seller yes yes we will "try" to deliver by Wednesday afternoon. The seller has paid for express shipping but it does not feel like the courier is putting in a good faith attempt to achieve any kind of express delivery. At least, they're all tiny fish so they shouldn't foul their bags too much or run out of air, the weather is fairly mild and the seller used a 72 hour heat pack just in case. I'm sure the medaka will be fine but who knows about everyone else. I'm thinking the endlers might fare worst, maybe the tetras won't like being chilled either. From what I've read gourami are tougher than they look but I have no experience with them. I hate the waiting, worrying about whats happening to those poor fish makes me feel sick but the local stores do such a bad job with fish husbandry that I am not interested in getting parasite filled half dead fish even if they ever did have species I'm interested in in stock, which they don't.

I've got neocaridina shrimp and amano shrimp. They seem to be doing ok with just a bit of shrimp minerals and BacterAE in tap water and it looks like I'm best off just keeping it that way.

I use a liquid fertilizer, no root tabs. I hear it's a good idea to let Anacharis Elodea and Limnophila sessiliflora float around for a bit until roots start to develop before planting them to avoid the rot issues you can get with planting new cuttings (or even just leave them floating around forever). So I assume that means they are also getting nutrients from the water column and should be fine.

Edit: I apparently had about three times as many neocaridina shrimp kicking around than I thought. Moved everything over to the new tank, now crossing my fingers and hoping everything stays cycled.
Edit2: Limnophila sessiliflora appears to be a not great option due to the invasive nature of it. Going to substitute Cabomba for it.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Nov 30, 2023

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
these aren’t funny and got played out super quick, but this one is just weird and thread-specific enough that I had a chuckle

https://youtu.be/rLZwb4hO0CA?si=MAdzd0r9glxv1OQY

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Anyone know what the plant growing on top of the fake log is? Just showed up a couple months ago and it's growing out of control.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

drilldo squirt posted:

Anyone know what the plant growing on top of the fake log is? Just showed up a couple months ago and it's growing out of control.

java moss and i want it

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Java moss is a good aquarium friend.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
I can't seem to get my moss to not curl up and die. I'm gonna clean it out thoroughly then add some more plants when I can.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

If you don’t like how stringy the Java moss has grown in, you can trim it and it will sprout more and get more bushy (it likes being trimmed and the trimmings will also keep growing). Fish often spawn on Java moss, shrimp graze on it because of the high surface area. It can get out of control if not maintained though.

Fish box finally arrived, only two deaths which is a lot better than I expected. The tetras were lively and feisty and I remember now they gave the same impression last time which is why I was so impressed with them. Ember tetras are great little fish, and these new ones are tiny! They started colouring up immediately so I think they are going to be fine.

The first death I noticed was in the medaka bag, and unfortunately he looks like he was a snack for the other medaka so if there was a disease process and not just stress, they’ve all got it now. But the survivors looked mostly in good shape and very hungry despite their snacking. Can’t quite tell what they look like because the glass is a bit foggy with algae but they were slowly colouring up and swimming well so I think they will be ok too. I put them in with the peacock gudgeons thinking there would be no hassles since it’s top level fish + bottom level fish, but the gudgeons have come out and are swimming with the medaka, curiosity with no aggression so I think that will be fine.

The gouramis were in stress colours but immediately went to normal once I got them in their tank, I have two smaller ones and two slightly bigger brighter coloured ones, the guppies I have put them in with are very impressed with them (and slightly scared of them) so perhaps I will have to move guppies out of that tank. I put a ton of plants in for cover for the gouramis and they seem to be enjoying it. One of them has a bit of discolouration in the classic saddle position for columnaris so I will be closely monitoring that, it could just be a scuff from being jostled in the bag I guess. For such tiny fragile looking fish they did really well and I am so glad to finally have some, they look great and are not shy at all and are completely different from anything else that I’m keeping.

Lastly as I had expected one of the endlers didn’t make it, but somewhere between purchase and packing there was a confusion, I ordered two pairs (four fish) and I was delivered 4 pairs (8 fish). As you’d expect from live bearers they dropped fry in the bag so that’s 3 more free fish. The females look good and healthy, what I would consider good form/healthy body shape, and two of the males have the colouring I was looking for although one has what I’d consider to be a poor body shape, too skinny and weak looking. One of the other males looks like a Santa Maria endler cull, very dark body which is quite interesting but his red stripe isn’t solid, and the last one is a big bright blonde endler, very healthy looking but also very unnatural. I’d still like his genes in the mix because he probably has the best body shape of all the male endlers I got. The tank I’m quarantining these in probably isn’t big enough for 8 endlers in the long term so hopefully it all goes uneventfully and I can move them out. I guess I can’t complain about free fish because it covers the other losses.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

All the fish who survived shipping are still alive now and doing well. Some of the smallest juvies have plumped up and look healthier too, I was a bit concerned about how skinny some of the fish were but I think it's definitely just that they are young with plenty of growing left to do. The youngest medaka particularly is very strange looking and long. I turned the flow down on the filter return on their tank and before long saw one of the kuhli loaches that I haven't seen for ages trying to post himself up the pipe so I had to turn the flow back up to discourage that!

The gouramis are very cool to watch, carefully gliding around and investigating everything in their tank and I'm glad I put some effort in to rearranging and adding more plants, it seems perfect for them now and they seem very comfortable with all the guppies around.

So far so good, and this week is a heatwave so good timing on my part to get them delivered before temperatures became too unsafe.

I'm expecting a bunch of activity in my pond as the weather warms up, I know the rosy barbs are already breeding but the blanket algae is becoming a menace even as the pond plants grow out of control. Aquariums and ponds are not quite the same skill set so I'm still trying to work out what to do.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Anyone have recs to find used tanks/gear besides the standard craigslist/offerup/facebook marketplace?

Got a pin leak in my 29 gal and wanna go bigger with a better stand filter and light. Willing to be patient till someone doesn’t wanna sink more money.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Anyone have recs to find used tanks/gear besides the standard craigslist/offerup/facebook marketplace?

Got a pin leak in my 29 gal and wanna go bigger with a better stand filter and light. Willing to be patient till someone doesn’t wanna sink more money.

Local aquarium clubs?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

A few weeks ago someone local gave away a 180g tank and stand on FB. Claimed it didn't leak and glass didn't even look scratched up in the pics. If I wasn't actively trying to get rid of tanks and downsize I'd have jumped on it.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Some of the best deals I’ve been able to get are from people getting out of the hobby, or from breeders getting too far into the hobby and needing to upsize. And those people have wanted to help out other hobbyists. So yeah I agree finding the local hobbyist scene or club or Facebook group or whatever and keeping a close eye on it because those opportunities for gear often do not last.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Everything seems to have survived the transfer to the 20G tank. Working on scaping it now, though I'm still waiting on some plants.

At some point I decided to modify the fluval surface skimmer/canister intake by replacing the suction cups with some of the silicon coated magnets I've been using to hold flocking to the back of the tank. It works really well and holds it in place better allowing for very precise placement. Plus it should never detach from the wall! I was happy enough with the results that I've gone ahead and done the same for the 70G tank.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Stoca Zola posted:

Some of the best deals I’ve been able to get are from people getting out of the hobby, or from breeders getting too far into the hobby and needing to upsize. And those people have wanted to help out other hobbyists. So yeah I agree finding the local hobbyist scene or club or Facebook group or whatever and keeping a close eye on it because those opportunities for gear often do not last.

Thanks. I’ll take a look. I’m in NYC so most of those groups are watched like hawks but I’ll keep an eye out.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

I don't have recommendations beyond fish clubs, Facebook and Craigslist, but I would add: don't be in a hurry. If you just keep an eye on those places good deals do pop up.

You can also post and ask. I wanted a 55 gallon tank for a sump, pinged a local fish FB group and got a response that was "I have two please take them asap"

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

gently caress, I'm like 95% sure I have ich and apparently anything available to treat it locally will murder my shrimp. :(

I'm currently slowly increasing the temperature to try to treat it with heat. Edit: I've also bought an air pump and got a bubbler system set up to combat the oxygen drop the increase in temperature will bring.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Prof. Banks posted:

gently caress, I'm like 95% sure I have ich and apparently anything available to treat it locally will murder my shrimp. :(

I'm currently slowly increasing the temperature to try to treat it with heat.

If it's available for you, Aquarium Solutions Ich-X did not murder my Amano or Red Cherry shrimp (or fish).

I had to euthanize the last male Mountain Redbelly Dace today, the poor guy had some gnarly tumors and was doing really bad this last week. He lived a solid 6 months past their expected lifespan at least - and somehow the single female I got with the group is huge and still going strong.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Dec 7, 2023

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
ich: I have scaleless fish so meds are usually a no-go. So I use temperature; at 85* ich stops reproducing, at 86* it dies. So sloooooowly raise your temp, stop feeding, and increase air flow by a ton. Extra sponge filters, air stones, powerheads, etc.

This doesn't work if you have coolwater fish like some loaches or certain plecos but it will def kill the ich parasite.

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Cowslips Warren posted:

ich: I have scaleless fish so meds are usually a no-go. So I use temperature; at 85* ich stops reproducing, at 86* it dies. So sloooooowly raise your temp, stop feeding, and increase air flow by a ton. Extra sponge filters, air stones, powerheads, etc.

This doesn't work if you have coolwater fish like some loaches or certain plecos but it will def kill the ich parasite.

I plan on taking it up a couple of degrees per hour tonight until I'm at 86-87. This tank uses water surface agitation for oxygenation, so the fish are not used to an air stone. The setup I bought was producing so many bubbles that the poor things looked scared and stressed. Thankfully the Fluval Flex has a rear compartment that holds the filtration setup. Putting the stone back there instead of out in their area seems to have calmed them down considerably.

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Came back from a shower to find one of my pygmy corys lying on its side/back and occasionally swimming around frantically for a few seconds before settling back down. The temperature has only gone up 4 degrees so far (in about two hours). They like to hide, and I've only seen two out at a time for the last few weeks and they've seemed fine. I don't know if this one has been suffering in the background or if I cooked him by increasing temperature too quickly.

Edit: I checked the parameters and they're normal. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, between 5-10 ppm nitrate, and 7.8 pH (which, while a tad high, is just what the tap water is here and what these fish have always had).

Prof. Banks fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Dec 7, 2023

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

There are white spots everywhere in your substrate, are you sure you don’t have epistylis not ich? Heat makes that grow more not less although I think medication is similar. Epistylis is opportunistic rather than parasitic and I think the difference is the white spots stand out rather than being flat.

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

It's possible. Those spots have been there since shortly after I started the tank. They're also in my shrimp-only tank in my classroom. And those do not get very much food at all.

I just don't know what to do. :(

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I think this might help, there’s a lot to read and it might give you some direction of things to try. https://aquariumscience.org/index.php/10-2-4-epistylis/

I’ve used salt to treat this kind of thing before, which was well tolerated by my fish but absolutely decimated my aquarium plants. Chemiclean has helped too. You might be able to do the antibiotic route, I have never had to treat it in a tank with shrimp so I don’t know what’s safe and what isn’t.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Prof. Banks posted:

Came back from a shower to find one of my pygmy corys lying on its side/back and occasionally swimming around frantically for a few seconds before settling back down. The temperature has only gone up 4 degrees so far (in about two hours). They like to hide, and I've only seen two out at a time for the last few weeks and they've seemed fine. I don't know if this one has been suffering in the background or if I cooked him by increasing temperature too quickly.

Edit: I checked the parameters and they're normal. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, between 5-10 ppm nitrate, and 7.8 pH (which, while a tad high, is just what the tap water is here and what these fish have always had).

I think you’re moving the temp up too fast. 2 degrees an hour feels aggressive. I’d probably max out at 1 degree an hour, and probably shoot for slower if possible.

The thing about ich is that it’s usually present in just about every tank; it just starts to outbreak once there’s significant stress on the fish for whatever reason. So there may be something else going on there that needs treating. Your test kits aren’t expired or anything, right?

Has there been any changes recently? New tank mates, big water changes, changes in feed habits or etc?

Salt may gently caress up your plants, but for ich you generally want heat AND salt. The other huge component is water changes. You want to be doing daily water changes (20-30% IIRC), reintroducing the salt you take out with the water change. This is in part because you want to get the ich after it falls off from the heat.

Ich-x is also generally considered safe for inverts. I’ve successfully used it on Amanos without impact, although I quarantined my vampire shrimp just in case, they’re pretty sensitive. It’ll probably wreck the plants though.

Do you have the ability to rehome the plants while you treat the tank? That might be worth considering. Without hosts the ich probably won’t be a huge issue re-transplanting the plants back in with minimal treatment, and you could always throw a single healthy fish in the plant tank after and see if it has issues.