Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Padres are mostly just getting filler catchers to hold the line until Ethan Salas is ready, which will probably be by the end of next season or the start of 2025.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

There's a report that 7 teams are in on Yamamoto. They include two *mystery teams* and then the Blue Jays, Dodgers, Giants, Mets, and Yankees.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/12/seven-teams-emerge-as-top-suitors-for-yamamoto.html?utm_source=twitter

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The Padres are likely still going to make the playoffs this year. They still have a lot of talent left.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

mcmagic posted:

The Padres are likely still going to make the playoffs this year. They still have a lot of talent left.
Their pitching situation is a big problem, and I don't know if they are going to have any money to spend to fix it

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
They are not. New ownership has been very clear about their intent to slash payroll as much as possible.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

Their pitching situation is a big problem, and I don't know if they are going to have any money to spend to fix it

They just freed up $33 million. I wouldn't be surprised if they end up with one of Milwaukee or Miami's starters.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
https://twitter.com/BryanHoch/status/1732543429941342279

Welp.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Eric the Mauve posted:

They are not. New ownership has been very clear about their intent to slash payroll as much as possible.

They got ridiculously unlucky last season. They still have a lot of good players on that team.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I just looked and the Padres have to pay Yu Darvish until he's 43/44 :catstare:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

live with fruit posted:

They just freed up $33 million. I wouldn't be surprised if they end up with one of Milwaukee or Miami's starters.
The Marlins better not loving trade Luzardo

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Marlins better not loving trade Luzardo

I would be so happy if they trade him to Houston or he somehow ends up in Houston even if it's years from now in the twilight of his career

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Correa’s ankle doc dropping Soto’s X-ray like the cop at the end of usual suspects

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

c'mon guys surely a slightly used King is good enough for you, so he needs surgery so what

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

It would be ironic if it's because of Kings broken elbow when they pushed so hard to get him in the first place

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Nodoze posted:

It would be ironic if it's because of Kings broken elbow when they pushed so hard to get him in the first place

Take Schmidt instead. By all means.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

ihatepants posted:

Martino just said that the Yankees are all in on Yamamoto as well. Might be why they were willing to part with so much of their pitching depth.

https://twitter.com/MaxTGoodman/status/1732532445918966258?s=20

They are meeting with him on Monday and Hideki Matsui has been recruiting him. Cashman was there in Japan when he threw his no hitter so he's been something of a white whale for him

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Giving a guy who hasn't thrown 1 pitch in the majors 300 million is pretty wild lol

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

I actually think this is a terrible deal for San Diego. No? They traded 5 top prospects for him and got back King, a prospect in Thorpe, maybe another in Vasquez, and then Brito and a backup catcher who occasionally hits a home run a mile? I don’t see how a Soto deal doesn’t begin with Dominguez at least.

I mean I guess it’s the best they could do but it seems like if the worst thing we can say is we gave up King then that’s a win for Cashman? And the whole turnaround for SD seems like the thing that hurts the most.
they also got two pulls at the October slot machine with Soto

It looks worse because they managed to be the least clutch team in history last year and didn’t actually get to October

But of course they got less back than they had to give up for him in the first place, the used most of his value in between the two trades

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

mcmagic posted:

Giving a guy who hasn't thrown 1 pitch in the majors 300 million is pretty wild lol

Not our money, who cares

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mcmagic posted:

Japan isn’t the moon. Teams have a pretty good idea of how top talent from NPB translates these days. There’s a reason interest in Yamamoto is so high and it’s not just as simple as “oh he has a sub-2 career ERA”

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I hear he's basically a high school level pitcher

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Nodoze posted:

Not our money, who cares

I'm not saying i'm against it and most of the NPB guys have been pretty good.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Popete posted:

No that was actually Ichiro striking out all those high school girls

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

mcmagic posted:

It’s gonna own, actually

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

I really thought King was supposed to be super protected or something.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Eric the Mauve posted:

it's great that Ichiro is a positive role model in retirement for other weird dudes who would die without baseball like Votto so he's not just getting stomped by children at chess year round

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Eric the Mauve posted:

Didn't one of them strike him out?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

bawfuls posted:

they also got two pulls at the October slot machine with Soto

It looks worse because they managed to be the least clutch team in history last year and didn’t actually get to October

But of course they got less back than they had to give up for him in the first place, the used most of his value in between the two trades

The Rosetta Stone is probably the Padres letting Melvin go to the Giants with a year left on his contract and not asking for anything in return. Just GTFO.

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

Popete posted:

:golfclap:

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
What...what do you mean "it does not sound dead"?

https://x.com/martinonyc/status/1732583451402838374?s=20

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
So Juan Soto is going to be a Twin?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Popete posted:

So Juan Soto is going to be a Twin?

No thanks. Not for one season.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The Padres making a stink about medicals is extremely funny after the Pomeranz bullshit they tried to pull years ago.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Sydin posted:

The Padres making a stink about medicals is extremely funny after the Pomeranz bullshit they tried to pull years ago.

Can't hustle a hustler.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Come to me Soto.

And Roberts didn’t tank the Dodgers, he just gave Ohtani’s people ammunition to raise the price arbitrarily.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Roberts that extra 20 million is coming out of YOUR paycheck

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

So Bryce Harper is 31 and has eight years remaining on his contract.

According to ESPN, he wants an extension from the Phillies (I'm guessing to boost his AAV?). What the hell?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/Joelsherman1/status/1732605319111495782

Shermbomb

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Timby posted:

So Bryce Harper is 31 and has eight years remaining on his contract.

According to ESPN, he wants an extension from the Phillies (I'm guessing to boost his AAV?). What the hell?

Are any news sources reporting it ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

euphronius posted:

Are any news sources reporting it ?

The impeccable news source named Scott Boras

(It’s the top story on the Phillies website)