Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
The first time I saw Pulp Fiction I assumed that "pipe-hitting" meant that they, like, used lead pipes to hit people, like in Clue(do)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yeah it's literally just occurred to me he probably means crackheads

Though now I really want a side story about the Crime Plumbers

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
I was well aware of drug addicts salvaging copper piping from abandoned buildings by then but maybe that was more a midwestern thing in the 90s.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Those are pipe HOARDERS, not pipe HITTERS

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Although I guess they're both!

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Brawnfire posted:

Although I guess they're both!

That venn diagram looks like a cross section of a copper pipe

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

sebmojo posted:

Doubtless there's plenty of Wario and Waluigi fanfic out there

E: wait, are they plumbers too? They must be, surely. Or are they nega-plumbers, who block up all your pipes?

EE: ha!

Hyperlynx has a new favorite as of 01:10 on Dec 7, 2023

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

sebmojo posted:

Somehow I don't think Tarantino's getting the rights to make a Wario & Waluigi movie anytime soon, unfortunately

e: noooooo

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Brawnfire posted:

Those are pipe HOARDERS, not pipe HITTERS

And not to be confused with Pipefitters, who play bass in a canadian punk band.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Baron von Eevl posted:

And not to be confused with Pipefitters, who play bass in a canadian punk band.

Also the union of underground pipe workers

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

sebmojo posted:

Yeah, I just now realized this, too. I thought he meant dudes to beat him with pipes (and it made sense to me; I'd just played Silent Hill, and that had a lead pipe).

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Crack heads will beat anyone you want with pipes if you give them the cash or crack for their work.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

There's got to be a way to work plumber's crack into this but I can't put my finger in it.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Grassy Knowles posted:

I was well aware of drug addicts salvaging copper piping from abandoned buildings by then but maybe that was more a midwestern thing in the 90s.

Yeah these days they don't wait for the building to be abandoned.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Leave posted:

Yeah, I just now realized this, too. I thought he meant dudes to beat him with pipes (and it made sense to me; I'd just played Silent Hill, and that had a lead pipe).

This until right now.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

there's a right wing clothing brand called pipe hitters union, who presumably also thought hitting pipes was being badass and not smoking crack

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

This until right now.

Probably on my seventh rewatch or so.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

FFT posted:

There's got to be a way to work plumber's crack into this but I can't put my finger in it.

:golfclap:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Apparently pipe hitter also means someone who is super hardcore in the Marines so now I don't know what to think

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

What a link from google says about that usage: "the term traces its origins back to the film Pulp Fiction".

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Logically, Wario is the opposite of a plumber

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
a guy who clogs the toilet? yeah, that tracks.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Captain Splendid posted:

Logically, Wario is the opposite of a plumber

A plumbee?

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

You clog 'em, we clear 'em!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Amoeba102 posted:

What a link from google says about that usage: "the term traces its origins back to the film Pulp Fiction".

I think a lot of people misunderstood the term. I certainly did.

It was only when someone else explained it did it become retroactively obvious what it meant - a couple of hosed up druggies so far gone they'd do literally anything to someone for a hit or some cash. And that Marsellus Wallace was about to lay down some pain so horrific he couldn't even trust his own men to help him.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I think a lot of people misunderstood the term. I certainly did.

It was only when someone else explained it did it become retroactively obvious what it meant - a couple of hosed up druggies so far gone they'd do literally anything to someone for a hit or some cash. And that Marsellus Wallace was about to lay down some pain so horrific he couldn't even trust his own men to help him.

I'm pretty sure he wants drugged out losers to do the work because he doesn't want his regular muscle to know he's been "emasculated" by being raped by Zed and/or Zed's friend(s).

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

next you're gonna tell me a sherm head isn't a WW2 tank enthusiast

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

DontMockMySmock posted:

The first time I saw Pulp Fiction I assumed that "pipe-hitting" meant that they, like, used lead pipes to hit people, like in Clue(do)

You know what, I assumed that until like ten seconds ago

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I just realised the US Air Force doesn't have any F/A-18s, and never has. It is exclusively a Navy and Marine Corps airplane.

It's used by the Royal Australian Air Force, and our Navy does not have any aircraft carriers, so I'd just assumed its country of origin also has some in its air force because that seems perfectly normal and reasonable.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Hyperlynx posted:

I just realised the US Air Force doesn't have any F/A-18s, and never has. It is exclusively a Navy and Marine Corps airplane.

It's used by the Royal Australian Air Force, and our Navy does not have any aircraft carriers, so I'd just assumed its country of origin also has some in its air force because that seems perfectly normal and reasonable.

Normal and reasonable is not how I'd describe US military procurements.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Inceltown posted:

Normal and reasonable is not how I'd describe US military procurements.

Oh, certainly. I mean, they have an entire duplicate "The Army", after all.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There's no reason for the US to use the Super Hornet in its air force. Canada and Australia buying an aircraft designed for carrier use for their air force is their own problem.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Gaius Marius posted:

There's no reason for the US to use the Super Hornet in its air force. Canada and Australia buying an aircraft designed for carrier use for their air force is their own problem.

How do figure? There's no need to now, sure, there's even better stuff available, but you seem to be implying that there never was a reason either.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The US already had the F-16 and F-15 when the Hornet was rolled out. Its role was carrier based because it was the only niche that it was needed for.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

True enough

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Hyperlynx posted:

Also true of the F-14.

By extension, the most famous American example of air combat in cinema doesn't feature the USAF.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
yeah I don't know why Australia bought the f18 instead of the f15, probably bribery.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

thatbastardken posted:

yeah I don't know why Australia bought the f18 instead of the f15, probably bribery.

It was better than what they needed it for, apparently

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

It's cooler looking. That's like half the reason you invest in fighter jets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

The f16 variants is a bit more fragile than the f18+f18e. So in a nutshell, the us carrier airplanes are the best rough'n'ready alternative if you want a robust airplane that does an f16 job, and if you're limited by reeeally wanting to buy american for the political effects that giving americans money would buy you.