Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Betelgeuse is his normal name, beetlejuice is his Truename

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Tunicate posted:

Betelgeuse is his normal name, beetlejuice is his Truename

Technically both are deadnames.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It's actually spelled Betelstein, not Betelstain.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Crespolini posted:

that sounds like ghosts more than demons
If anything, it actually sounds closer to how the Church Fathers understood sin, temptation, and the passions. Demons mostly just plant the thought in your head; the biggest danger is listening to that idea, putting it into action, and letting it become habitual. I've read one who said that it's possibly better to be possessed than to be enslaved to the passions.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Reminds of of Taylor Tomlinson's stand up about how her religious upbringing made her masturbation habits weird: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiJnuZ1pn0M

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Grendels Dad posted:

Yeah, I'll agree with that. Just wanted to point out that it's not a random sandworm.

Chekhov's sandworm

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Keromaru5 posted:

If anything, it actually sounds closer to how the Church Fathers understood sin, temptation, and the passions. Demons mostly just plant the thought in your head; the biggest danger is listening to that idea, putting it into action, and letting it become habitual. I've read one who said that it's possibly better to be possessed than to be enslaved to the passions.

they use pyrokinesis

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

BioEnchanted posted:

Reminds of of Taylor Tomlinson's stand up about how her religious upbringing made her masturbation habits weird: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiJnuZ1pn0M

If you want a non-funny, crushingly real and depressing take on this same subject, watch the film The Starling Girl. It'll ruin your week! But it's really really really good!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

I liked the similar treatment to Jumanji with the cartoon where the characters episodically visited the Neither-world

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Jumanji cartoon was great, and I'm pretty sure was a major inspiration for the sequel movies.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I'm finally getting around to watching the new Mission Impossible, and while it's good fun I keep stumbling over how silly the MacGuffin is. Like yeah it's MI, stuff being silly comes with the territory, but goddamn having the thing that everything hinges on and everyone is chasing after just be a slightly fancified cylinder key is extra silly. Doubly so since apparently the precise measurements and material makeup of the thing are widely known.

It seems like perhaps in any early draft of the script the thing was meant to be a cryptographic key of some sorts that was then changed to be something more tangible. But come on, at least give me some technobabble about molecular imprints or rare isotopes or something. As it stands it feels like the plot could be solved in ten minutes by the lockpicking lawyer.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Perestroika posted:

I'm finally getting around to watching the new Mission Impossible, and while it's good fun I keep stumbling over how silly the MacGuffin is. Like yeah it's MI, stuff being silly comes with the territory, but goddamn having the thing that everything hinges on and everyone is chasing after just be a slightly fancified cylinder key is extra silly. Doubly so since apparently the precise measurements and material makeup of the thing are widely known.

It seems like perhaps in any early draft of the script the thing was meant to be a cryptographic key of some sorts that was then changed to be something more tangible. But come on, at least give me some technobabble about molecular imprints or rare isotopes or something. As it stands it feels like the plot could be solved in ten minutes by the lockpicking lawyer.

Same with Robin Hood, Men in Tights.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Isn't that explicitly magic, though? Like, come on, Mission Impossible, just say it's magic. Nobody knows the fuckin difference

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
They have started filming several of those movies without a complete plots (not script, plots) so they were absolutely making up poo poo as they went.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'd say more movies need to take the Pulp Fiction route with macguffins but that probably wouldn't help.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'd say more movies need to take the Pulp Fiction route with macguffins but that probably wouldn't help.

Future Mission Impossible villains should be after abstract concepts. Just flat out state they have stolen freedom, and try to smuggle it over the border in a silver suitcase.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Mission: Impossible 3 more or less has an unexplained McGuffin in The Rabbit's Foot.

Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part 1 has a fancy-rear end 2-piece USB drive be the McGuffin.

The Entity pulling a literal Laughing Man and erasing folks on CCTV's in real-time is on the verge of unbelievable but it is a M:I movie.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Jumanji cartoon was great, and I'm pretty sure was a major inspiration for the sequel movies.

I was a little annoyed at how...gamey the sequel movie plots were. My understanding was that Jumanji's world wasn't a game - that's how you interface with it, sure, but when you actual see the world, it's simply an extremely hostile jungle, not a place with objectives and levels and whatnot.

Edit: I only saw a couple episodes of the cartoon and don't remember them all that well vs the first movie, so I might be completely in the wrong here.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I think Jumanji adapts its playstyle and rules to whatever it is being played on; a board game has random events and things happen as you move around the board (i.e., a jaguar bites your rear end off as you trek through the jungle), so in a video game, it sets itself up with levels and objectives, because that's how Jumanji rolls.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Leave posted:

I think Jumanji adapts its playstyle and rules to whatever it is being played on; a board game has random events and things happen as you move around the board (i.e., a jaguar bites your rear end off as you trek through the jungle), so in a video game, it sets itself up with levels and objectives, because that's how Jumanji rolls.

And also it adapts what it IS in order to get people to play it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Zathura the book is literally a sequel to Jumanji - it changes it's genre because people stop playing it.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

BioEnchanted posted:

Zathura the book is literally a sequel to Jumanji - it changes it's genre because people stop playing it.

When you say literally a sequel, it made me think you meant, you know, the opposite of literally.

But according to wikipedia it is a sequel. Sort of? It says it's a standalone spin-off of the 1995 film. What does that mean? What connections do they have to each other? I haven't seen it, though for some reason I've owned the DVD for two decades. I don't even have a way to play it :(

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Grendels Dad posted:

Future Mission Impossible villains should be after abstract concepts. Just flat out state they have stolen freedom, and try to smuggle it over the border in a silver suitcase.

If you're not going to show it, just go more personal, but like personal to the audience.

*tom cruize looking directly at camera* "The villains have stolen you're -yes you audience member- favorite childhood toy, that you lost and thought would never see again, I Tom Cruize will risk life and limb, and kill as many people as I need to, to get it back".

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

dr_rat posted:

If you're not going to show it, just go more personal, but like personal to the audience.

*tom cruize looking directly at camera* "The villains have stolen you're -yes you audience member- favorite childhood toy, that you lost and thought would never see again, I Tom Cruize will risk life and limb, and kill as many people as I need to, to get it back".

That's just Toy Story 5

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

credburn posted:

When you say literally a sequel, it made me think you meant, you know, the opposite of literally.

But according to wikipedia it is a sequel. Sort of? It says it's a standalone spin-off of the 1995 film. What does that mean? What connections do they have to each other? I haven't seen it, though for some reason I've owned the DVD for two decades. I don't even have a way to play it :(

The book, because Zathura was a book before they made the movie, is a direct sequel to the book (because this was also a book before it was a movie) Jumanji. In the book some kids find Jumanji and think it's dumb and then they notice a space-themed game behind it called Zathura.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Baby's first lamentation configuration

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

The Priest shows up with one of those origami fortune tellers. "Pick a colour!"

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Morpheus posted:

I was a little annoyed at how...gamey the sequel movie plots were. My understanding was that Jumanji's world wasn't a game - that's how you interface with it, sure, but when you actual see the world, it's simply an extremely hostile jungle, not a place with objectives and levels and whatnot.

Edit: I only saw a couple episodes of the cartoon and don't remember them all that well vs the first movie, so I might be completely in the wrong here.

My biggest complaint about the sequel movie is that if it's all just a video game, why even care about the plot? It's just gonna restart at the end anyway. Also, the Lara Croft parody seemed kinda outdated considering the grim and serious reboot trilogy was two games in when the movie was released.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Something I'd be curious about would be how OG Van Pelt would react to being challenged on the idea that nothing he does is his own choice. He seems prideful enough that the idea of being out of control of his own life might cause him conflict. I also thought the reboot Van Pelt was less interesting, a lunatic with an elephant gun is way more imposing than the weird little greasy man with animal powers.

Or a fun alternative idea for the OG Van Pelt - the characters meet him in the jungle but he's relatively chill, because the game hasn't scripted an encounter yet, no one's picked his card. Just "I'll probably come after you soon, but I'm not a boss fight yet. It's against the rules..."

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 19:44 on Dec 6, 2023

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
House of the Dragon: why does corlys say gently caress all about his grandsons clearly not being his grandsons? This is loving westeros, lords need heirs, he can't have been so "ah well" when it came to the idea of his son ruling the kingdom only for his name, legacy, and blood to vanish within a generation.

He has granddaughters but we see the entire issue with women getting poo poo.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Grendels Dad posted:

First they'd have to steal the concept of stealing concepts from Carmen Sandiego.

Alhazred posted:

My biggest complaint about the sequel movie is that if it's all just a video game, why even care about the plot? It's just gonna restart at the end anyway. Also, the Lara Croft parody seemed kinda outdated considering the grim and serious reboot trilogy was two games in when the movie was released.

No one gives a poo poo about the grim and serious reboot trilogy, and also lol given it being outdated is fitting; because it's literally an outdated video game, the flashbacks show the game turning into a cartridge for a fictional video game console around the late 90s, fittingly the heyday of the og Tomb Raider. The whole structure of the game is even implicitly like that of an early 3D era action-adventure game; there's not much of a complex plot or NPC behaviour because most games of that era didn't have room for or just didn't bother with them, and it still has holdover mechanics like limited lives, and a linear plot with defined means of progression. The kids even comment on how old it is when they find it in the school basement, and boot it up anyway out of curiosity and novelty. (and because it beats detention)

BioEnchanted posted:

Something I'd be curious about would be how OG Van Pelt would react to being challenged on the idea that nothing he does is his own choice. He seems prideful enough that the idea of being out of control of his own life might cause him conflict. I also thought the reboot Van Pelt was less interesting, a lunatic with an elephant gun is way more imposing than the weird little greasy man with animal powers.

Or a fun alternative idea for the OG Van Pelt - the characters meet him in the jungle but he's relatively chill, because the game hasn't scripted an encounter yet, no one's picked his card. Just "I'll probably come after you soon, but I'm not a boss fight yet. It's against the rules..."

This does actually come up in the cartoon, where many of the antagonists and side characters are sometimes aware of their nature, though when they figure this out they usually don't get any less dangerous. As I said, I think the sequel movies probably took some ideas from it (or at least extrapolated in the same way) as the artificiality of Jumanji comes up a lot.

There's also an episode where the protagonists set a trap and actually successfully manage to kill Van Pelt. ...only for the boy to find himself starting to wear Van Pelt's clothes, sleep in Van Pelt's house and have urges to try to hunt and kill the other players, and start calling himself Van Pelt. And when he finally stops, the original Van Pelt is shown suddenly emerging from the trap unscathed.

Pretty much all versions of Jumanji strongly imply the game itself is alive, it's aware, and worst of all, it thinks it's teaching you a lesson. And has very little patience when you try to break the rules.

Ghost Leviathan has a new favorite as of 08:21 on Dec 7, 2023

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pretty much all versions of Jumanji strongly imply the game itself is alive, it's aware, and worst of all, it thinks it's teaching you a lesson. And has very little patience when you try to break the rules.

ah so it’s like internet moderators

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

oldpainless posted:

ah so it’s like internet moderators

More like a railroady Dungeon Master, but same difference.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
Re: the new Mission Impossible. It was fun nonsense, on the whole, great stunts etc as expected.

But there was a conversation at the start between a bunch of heads of US spy agencies and the Sec of Defence or whatever. And the conversation is painfully ..fake. Like, they each say a line of a sentence then someone else says the next one immediately. That's now how people talk! It was just so...artificial.

Then of course there was Ethan Hunt mask shenanigans immediately afterwards so it didn't matter. But still, was super awkward.

Bk.
Nov 9, 2009
The Batman
All of the masks look kinda dumb, but it only makes sense in-universe for Riddler's to do so.
Because he is explicitly a dweeby internet guy.

Batman gets exploded at one point and while his suit is shown to be extremely protective, his fully exposed chin should have at least gotten a bit sooty or something. But, nothing.

Roblo posted:

Re: the new Mission Impossible:
[...]
But there was a conversation at the start between a bunch of heads of US spy agencies and the Sec of Defence or whatever. And the conversation is painfully ..fake. Like, they each say a line of a sentence then someone else says the next one immediately. That's now how people talk! It was just so...artificial.

Given the kind of un-human psychos that actually run all of those agencies, this is the most realistic part of the movie.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Bk. posted:

The Batman
All of the masks look kinda dumb, but it only makes sense in-universe for Riddler's to do so.

Batman gets exploded at one point and while his suit is shown to be extremely protective, his fully exposed chin should have at least gotten a bit sooty or something. But, nothing.

I think he throws up his arms in time. This stops the fire.

Speaking of explosions: in the opening confrontation of Demolition Man, Simon Phoenix spills gasoline and teases that he will burn John Spartan to death. This intimidates Spartan enough that he hesitates, standing in the stuff and all. Then Phoenix lights up the gasoline anyway and all it does is make Spartan drop his gun.

Grendels Dad has a new favorite as of 10:33 on Dec 7, 2023

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Bk. posted:

The Batman

Given the kind of un-human psychos that actually run all of those agencies, this is the most realistic part of the movie.

I mean if you're going to point out cases where the suit protects him way more than it should, the bit where he eats poo poo on that bridge while using the wing suit should by rights have left him dead or paralysed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Cowslips Warren posted:

House of the Dragon: why does corlys say gently caress all about his grandsons clearly not being his grandsons? This is loving westeros, lords need heirs, he can't have been so "ah well" when it came to the idea of his son ruling the kingdom only for his name, legacy, and blood to vanish within a generation.

He has granddaughters but we see the entire issue with women getting poo poo.

Because officially the history books would claim that all those descendants are his. He and anyone else with half a brain realize what’s going on, but the whole point is that his “legacy” would be secured as he’d be known to be the father of a king and his grandsons are officially recognized as being from his son.

The whole point is that people make stupid decisions for power and their name.