Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I've been kinda going back and forth on the mijo and Warner stuff the last day or so and my reaction is pretty much that Johnson is right, but I don't necessarily mind Warner having his farewell lap either.

In January it'll be 15 years since some dude who hadn't played first grade came out and launched 89 off 43 against South Africa, not exactly minnows in world cricket. In a week's time he will have been our opener and a fixture of the team for 11 years. He scored something like 50 tonnes across all three formats and was a pretty good fielder in his day as well. If not for Cricket Australia being idiots he would have copped a 2 match ban like everyone else in history and probably added to that total in the year he missed.

Johnson also has a point that the guy was kind of known for being an rear end in a top hat and was exposed as a cheat in at least one game which at least implies hes done it more often when times get tough. Had a number of incidents where he hurt some feelings and almost bashed a couple blokes and has been realistically averaging in the 20s as an opener for the last few years.

If you want to be cold and clinical about it, yeah - now's the time to blood the next opener, and probably get a look at their back up since Usman is pretty much the same age - or a couple months shy and likely won't play too much longer. I can't really fault CA for wanting to let him do his thing in games we should win fairly handily in terms of he's a known quantity.

I think this is kinda one of those situations where there's no right answer, not really a wrong one either but Mitch has every right as a former test player who played with Warner to say what he said as a cricket analyst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost

BrigadierSensible posted:

A question:

Who do you think is being the thin skinned sook here? Or is it a storm in a teacup?

Coz Mitchell Johnson made some criticism of Warner. That's not a huge deal.

But then Johnson is off the commentary team for Mr. Sandpaper's victory lap tour.

Is it Warner getting him shafted? CA? The ABC pre-emptively doing so without being asked? Or just a coincidental on air reshuffle?

For whatever reason I've been reading all the clickbait for this stupid drama.

Apparently Warner sent some lovely text message to Mijo at some stage and then Bailey said something lovely as well, so it's all bad blood but he's still right.

All the fallout is every old boy closing ranks, I can only imagine he'll end up back on ABC Radio.

Be interested to hear Paintings opinion but he's likely too smart to weigh in.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Of course the funniest option is Pakistan clean up Warner, forcing the selectors to drop him half way through his Victory lap

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
CA should be using this soft summer to figure out who’s going to open against India next summer. Warner announcing that he wants his farewell tour is just tone deaf, and contradicts everything the old boys have been saying about him being a team player, 100% ego stroking and stat padding. It feels like the tail wagging the dog.

CeruleanMist
Mar 20, 2019

Travis Head is literally me
Looks like Bangladesh have rolled out an absolute minefield for the Kiwis here, 15 wickets on the first day :staredog:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Mister Chief posted:

Bangladesh just lost a wicket for handling the ball. 8th in test history.

Strictly speaking it was the second Interfering with the Field dismissal, as there isn't an offense called handling the ball any more!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
What did he actually do? Pick it up and throw it back? Kick it away?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

goatface posted:

What did he actually do? Pick it up and throw it back? Kick it away?

Bounced near the stumps and swatted it away.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
https://twitter.com/CricCrazyJohns/status/1732304521584636050

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm region locked from that video apparently.

e - From some more reading, it seems like a stupid thing to do in any form of the game or training. Why condition yourself to do an illegal action?

goatface fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Dec 6, 2023

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
That is honestly bizarre. What on earth was he doing? I can understand an instinctive reaction to swat the ball away if it’s giving towards the stumps, but this was well wide and bouncing away.

I know it’s kinda dumb and reactionary to assume someone getting out strangely like that is a gaming thing, but man. Occam’s razor is all over that poo poo

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Spedman posted:

CA should be using this soft summer to figure out who’s going to open against India next summer. Warner announcing that he wants his farewell tour is just tone deaf, and contradicts everything the old boys have been saying about him being a team player, 100% ego stroking and stat padding. It feels like the tail wagging the dog.

Also I 100% agree with this. Bit of a grandpa choice to say that it’s not the done thing in cricket, but yeah, it’s not.

I know Warner has had an incredible career, complete with speed bumps, but a farewell tour is pretty egregious. Pick him for the Sydney test and drop him for the others if he wants a farewell. Or hell, just make him a sub fielder in Sydney so he can run around and soak up the crowd.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
BAN 172

NZ 55/5

Ross Taylor must be rolling in his grave

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Is there some young opener that has the potential to be a world class opener waiting in the wings though? Bringing in Renshaw or someone for the sake of not giving Warner his lap feels about as silly as giving him a lap for the sake of it.

It’s not like it’s going to be a close series (jinx I hope!) and Warner averaging say 20 is going to cost games.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

VOTE1 posted:

Is there some young opener that has the potential to be a world class opener waiting in the wings though? Bringing in Renshaw or someone for the sake of not giving Warner his lap feels about as silly as giving him a lap for the sake of it.

It’s not like it’s going to be a close series (jinx I hope!) and Warner averaging say 20 is going to cost games.

At this point it's not exactly important who they replace him with as much as they have a plan to replace him and the best way to put that plan in place is to see how they go in live games.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

BlindSite posted:

At this point it's not exactly important who they replace him with as much as they have a plan to replace him and the best way to put that plan in place is to see how they go in live games.

Sure, but most of the motive appears to be vindictive against Warner as opposed to actually caring about who comes next.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

VOTE1 posted:

Sure, but most of the motive appears to be vindictive against Warner as opposed to actually caring about who comes next.

Honestly if Warner had announced today or before the Sydney test that he was retiring, nobody would have said anything. Saying it 7 months in advance, ahead of an Ashes series where everyone expected him to struggle, is a dickhead move.

edit; if Broad wasn’t taking wickets and announced 12 months ago he was retiring at the end of the Ashes, everyone would have laid into him too imo

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Hopefully they don't let him retire so he can never commentate.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Airstream Driver posted:

Ugh, can you imagine

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Airstream Driver posted:

Extremely cursed post

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

He's already got a contract with fox I'm pretty sure. It's happening.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Airstream Driver posted:

He's already got a contract with fox I'm pretty sure. It's happening.

:mods:

(ugh, it is true)

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Have Fox even heard him speak? I remember some commercials he was in that were nearly incomprehensible. And those were the best takes!

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Have Fox even heard him speak? I remember some commercials he was in that were nearly incomprehensible. And those were the best takes!

He just loves TVs with quantum dots in them

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

goatface posted:

I'm region locked from that video apparently.

e - From some more reading, it seems like a stupid thing to do in any form of the game or training. Why condition yourself to do an illegal action?

I found a mirror here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPy1X6aznw8

Pretty funny and totally unnecessary. :laugh:

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Fanatic posted:

:lmao:

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I just had this flash where he was on a panel with Michael Clarke's annoying upward inflection and wanted to suck start my rifle

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Finally the proper cricket has started.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

Ugh, can you imagine

Sadly, yes I can. We've heard Brayshaw. We've heard Slater. We've heard Micheal Clarke. We even heard Warne, (when he wasn't talking about leg spin bowling).

How much worse could Warner be?

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Fanatic posted:

New Zealand have just lost any hope of a Moral victory

(feel bad for the guy though, was clearly a brain fart)

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Handling the ball is an egregious attack on the spirit of the game.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
One side bats, one side fields. Doing both at the same time is an unsportsmanlike hogging of the limelight.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Lol it's a stupid move but I'm dunno if I would appeal for it unless he did it a bunch of times

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Welp thats game.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Melbourne Farts

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

At least the Big Bash is mercifully 30% shorter this year

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

a real chump posted:

Lol it's a stupid move but I'm dunno if I would appeal for it unless he did it a bunch of times

It’s really bizarre and frankly, if you do something that stupid you deserve to be given out.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Yeah that’s just dumb, I’d put that under tough cricketing lessons to learn.

CeruleanMist
Mar 20, 2019

Travis Head is literally me
Matt Renshaw looking in good touch here, although as I type this he has just had a big outside edge that didn't carry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

webmeister posted:

At least the Big Bash is mercifully 30% shorter this year

Thank gently caress for that

I remember it being almost footy season and there was still big bash poo poo on for some stupid reason