Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I wish he'd get on a loving boat TBF

E: 26 is the number of times we're going to get emergency political podium speeches before we get an election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Ah gently caress. Benjamin Zephaniah died.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

smellmycheese posted:

Gone by teatime imho

Do we even have time to go and buy the lettuce.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lemurtron posted:

Can anyone actually explain to me what the point of the Rwanda plan is and why the government are pushing it as seemingly the one and only Plan to end all plans? Why must it be pushed through despite all cost, decency, international law, protests and blocks by our very own courts? How is it that this alleged Plan is the only way to deal with alleged illegal immigration and processing of asylum seekers?

Not that it surprises me that this government (and opposition) would repeatedly double down on the stupidest poo poo possible in the face of all reason and rationality (cf Brexit), but surely there are better ways, even if they're still poo poo, than literally flying immigrants by the handful half way round the world, to sodding Rwanda of all places, at the cost of literally millions per person. Or is it like crypto/NFTs where you keep digging to find some secret explanation you're missing, but it really is just that loving stupid and knuckleheads keep falling for it? Plus the bonus that someone, somewhere must be making a load of dirty cash out of it.

I mean, what's an alternative Plan? Other countries seem to be handling this sort of thing without repeatedly tripping over their own clownshoes on the international stage.

Performative cruelty. They are trying to a: make everyone panic about foreigners and b: sate that panic by doing things like putting them on prison barges and sending them to Rwanda. Then positioning themselves as being tough and defending the nation etc etc.

They can't address any actual problems because they're the cause of most of the problems in the country, so they have to invent a problem (which they're also still the cause of, capitalism requires fresh bodies and for a variety of reasons such as lack of training and poo poo pay the UK does not produce enough people willing or able to do the work) and then sell people on a flashy solution to it.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Dec 7, 2023

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

EvilHawk posted:

Calling an election now is suicide. They have nothing. Polling is in the toilet. This isn't a popular plan at all (I think I saw some polling on it that suggested, at best, people were neutral towards it).

I mean, it's not going to change if/when there are flights happening, but at least that's something he can point at and say "I have done the Thing"

Oh I'm not saying it would be a good idea - just that I can't see their polling getting better and I'm honestly not sure that being able to say the flights have started would help. For the true believers, as long as the flights don't start they can be imagined as perfect and "effective". If the flights start there's the risk of them being blocked, which loses him even that.

As it turned out, he just wanted to whine.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

The big brain technocrat smart guy has now created a situation where everyone hates him. GB News and The Mail Gammons are angry he’s not being insanely facist enough and everyone normal is repelled by the whole thing and/or wish he’d shut up about boats and fix the country.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

It really is just that loving stupid.

I daresay there are kickbacks and mutual backscratching and whatnot going on too, but yes, at base, JTFS.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Isn't one of them invested in building the houses in Rwanda or something?

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Honesly think they only choose Rwanda because of the genocide there, so it sounds like a euphemism for what they really want to do.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Necrothatcher posted:

poo poo. Well that's certainly a damper on things.

Also rather fitting that such an important voice on racism dies on Rishi's Klan Konference I day.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

They chose Rwanda because it was close enough to Madagascar but plausibly deniable.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Lemurtron posted:

Can anyone actually explain to me what the point of the Rwanda plan is and why the government are pushing it as seemingly the one and only Plan to end all plans? Why must it be pushed through despite all cost, decency, international law, protests and blocks by our very own courts? How is it that this alleged Plan is the only way to deal with alleged illegal immigration and processing of asylum seekers?

Not that it surprises me that this government (and opposition) would repeatedly double down on the stupidest poo poo possible in the face of all reason and rationality (cf Brexit), but surely there are better ways, even if they're still poo poo, than literally flying immigrants by the handful half way round the world, to sodding Rwanda of all places, at the cost of literally millions per person. Or is it like crypto/NFTs where you keep digging to find some secret explanation you're missing, but it really is just that loving stupid and knuckleheads keep falling for it? Plus the bonus that someone, somewhere must be making a load of dirty cash out of it.

I mean, what's an alternative Plan? Other countries seem to be handling this sort of thing without repeatedly tripping over their own clownshoes on the international stage.

It squares the circle of having an appealing punitive subtext to racists (we're sending them back to Africa, arf, arf), while also making it more difficult for the UK press to directly embarrass the government's management skills over any embarrassing Legionaire's disease outbreaks, supposed 'five-star hotels', etc.

I'm sure there are handouts involved, but I think the point is that we've become a country that's willing to economically self-harm in order to satisfy the gut reactions of nationalists and sweep messy problems under the rug.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
How much money is spent on the staff /offices processing asylum applications (and on legal fees fighting appeals)? I bet if they spent all the Rwanda/barge money on that we'd probably have cleared the entire backlog by now

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's also looking a lot like they got too far in down a variation on that old 70s scam where various African government bodies of varying de facto legitimacy would sell shares in various mines or housing ventures to gullible Western investors shortly before collapse or that they had no right to sell.

Only in this modern version the government departments lacking legitimacy are coming from inside the house.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I'm hoping the Lords reject this bill and he's stuck crying about it until the election.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Tesseraction posted:

I'm hoping the Lords reject this bill and he's stuck crying about it until the election.

I hope he complains about Unelected Lords subverting the will of the people, while Cameron is just standing right there

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...

Necrothatcher posted:

Urgh, The Sun publishing tributes to him, after...

https://twitter.com/SunApology/status/704321967776796672

His reaction Poem "The Blinding Sun" was absolutely vicious, but thanks to the decay of Google, I cannot find an example of it either as video or text.

Edit: Found it in the end, I was getting the title wrong

Benjamin Zephaniah posted:

I believe the Blacks are bad
...The Left is loony
God is Mad
The government’s the best we’ve had
So I read The SUN.
I believe Britain is great
And other countries imitate
I am friendly with The State,
Daily, I read The Sun
I am not too keen on foreign ones
But I don’t mind some foreign bombs
Jungle bunnies and play tom-toms,
But, I read The SUN
Man, I don’t like those Russian spies
But we don’t have none
I love lies,
I really do love Princess Di
I bet she reads The Sun
Black people rob
Women should cook
And every poet is a crook
I am told -so I don’t need to look
It’s easy in The SUN
Every hippie carries nits
And every Englishman loves tits
I love page three and other bits,
I stare into The SUN
I like playing bingo games
And witch-hunting to shame a name
But why aren’t newspapers all the same?
So why not read The SUN.
Don’t give me the truth, just give me gossip
And skeletons from people’s closets
I wanna be normal
And millions buy it,
I am blinded by The SUN

Desiderata fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Dec 7, 2023

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
God I miss the hope of the corbyn years so much. I really don't see a path to anything good in the near future. Keith wins by default next election and fucks around doing tory lite policies for the whole term. Tories take over again in 10 years or so. The cycle repeats. By then I'm getting on for 50. What the gently caress do we even have to look forward to as a country?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

ThomasPaine posted:

God I miss the hope of the corbyn years so much. I really don't see a path to anything good in the near future. Keith wins by default next election and fucks around doing tory lite policies for the whole term. Tories take over again in 10 years or so. The cycle repeats. By then I'm getting on for 50. What the gently caress do we even have to look forward to as a country?

The Tories will probably take over again in 5 years, so you'll only be 45 mate.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

ThomasPaine posted:

Hotter weather :sun:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Lemurtron posted:

The other answers are totally correct, but there is also an element of responding to the supposed problems/dangers of the current system. The tories and media have created a pervasive belief that asylum seekers are chancers, criminals, and either hiding behind human rights legislation or simply melting into the general population, but in any event making themselves immune to removal even when they don't get leave to remain.

By shipping them to Rwanda rather than letting them stay in the country (even in custody or with limited freedom of movement) the idea is that these problems will be eliminated. They can't vanish into the population, can't commit crimes, if they abscond it's Rwanda's problem, and if their application is denied they're powerless to do anything about it like appeal or have a community that protects them from removal.

Also, as official government policy, changing becomes a humiliating climbdown and a government-ending u-turn so they've dug thrir heels in as deeply as they can rather than just saying "We inherited a stupid moron's idea and we won't be doing that."

(So yes, it is that loving stupid, because it's all based on lies and an excuse to be cruel and the time and money pissed up the wall on it could have been/could be used on almost anything else to better effect.)

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Microplastics posted:

Hotter weather :sun:

Lol can't wait to see the burgeoning English vineyard industry (I can't afford any of the wine)

The UK is probably one of the better placed countries to deal with climate change mind while lots of Asia etc becomes borderline uninhabitable. There is zero justice in the world.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

ThomasPaine posted:

Keith wins by default next election and fucks around doing tory lite

Why do you assume he's going to be Tory lite? If anything, he's going to be more authoritarian and fash.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

fuctifino posted:

Why do you assume he's going to be Tory lite? If anything, he's going to be more authoritarian and fash.

I mean yeah, probably, but he'll at least look sad doing it and might throw an extra few quid at the NHS, I guess.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Farage rides the wave of popularity off the back of eating eyelids and anuses in the jungle and becomes PM somehow

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

ThomasPaine posted:

I mean yeah, probably, but he'll at least look sad doing it and might throw an extra few quid at the NHS, I guess.

He'll throw money at the private healthcare companies he handed the NHS to.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

smellmycheese posted:

The big brain technocrat smart guy has now created a situation where everyone hates him. GB News and The Mail Gammons are angry he’s not being insanely facist enough and everyone normal is repelled by the whole thing and/or wish he’d shut up about boats and fix the country.

"I'll just quietly get on with my work and surely everyone will see and appreciate what a diligent job I'm doing" is the sort of attitude I'd take if I somehow became Prime Minister lol. You'd think Sunak would have some highly paid advisors warning him that life doesn't actually work like that and he's got to spend most of his day talking to and persuading people.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Ms Adequate posted:

The other answers are totally correct, but there is also an element of responding to the supposed problems/dangers of the current system. The tories and media have created a pervasive belief that asylum seekers are chancers, criminals, and either hiding behind human rights legislation or simply melting into the general population, but in any event making themselves immune to removal even when they don't get leave to remain.

By shipping them to Rwanda rather than letting them stay in the country (even in custody or with limited freedom of movement) the idea is that these problems will be eliminated. They can't vanish into the population, can't commit crimes, if they abscond it's Rwanda's problem, and if their application is denied they're powerless to do anything about it like appeal or have a community that protects them from removal.

Also, as official government policy, changing becomes a humiliating climbdown and a government-ending u-turn so they've dug thrir heels in as deeply as they can rather than just saying "We inherited a stupid moron's idea and we won't be doing that."

(So yes, it is that loving stupid, because it's all based on lies and an excuse to be cruel and the time and money pissed up the wall on it could have been/could be used on almost anything else to better effect.)

It's also worth mentioning that this is all self inflicted, which is quite funny. Austerity destroyed the ability for the home office/civil service to act fast. Brexit destroyed the ability for them to blame Europe for all immigration woes. Now they're just left with flinging poo poo at the wall and scaring old people into thinking we're being invaded.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Desiderata posted:

His reaction Poem "The Blinding Sun" was absolutely vicious, but thanks to the decay of Google, I cannot find an example of it either as video or text.

Edit: Found it in the end, I was getting the title wrong

drat that's a great poem

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

What really gets me is that I genuinely don't understand why our politicians are so committed to everything being terrible forever. Some of them are just in it for the corruption gravy train, sure, but at least some must actually go into politics because they believe in something and want to make the country a better place. It's so nakedly obvious that there are ways of doing that, but they poo poo the bed at the idea. I'm not even saying full communism now (though that would be nice). We literally have Norway and Iceland etc as our neighbours showing us a system that's not perfect but is exponentially better than ours, and still allows for obscenely rich people to exist. What is the actual argument against that beyond 'a few rich people might have a pay a bit more tax'? How is this not obvious to your average Joe on the street?

The current trajectory of the UK benefits literally no one but a handful of already insanely wealthy people. There's so much anger that any competent left wing politician could capitalise on, and they'd go down as a loving hero if they pulled it off. How is that not an attractive proposition? Does no one want to be the 21st C Attlee. I know he was bad on lots of issues but his legacy is just evidence of how low the bar is. Why are they all so content to sit around treating politics like it's nothing more than the chance to be the manager and get a big desk? Idk, I'm feeling it today for some reason.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I just watched the Q&A of Rishi's press conference for a second time and I can't stop laughing at the little dwarf's inability to accept criticism. He really is a petulant and spoilt little child, and it makes me uncontrollably laugh. It's loving wonderful. The press were trolling him with very short and very simple answers, and then just letting him poo poo himself and rant behind his little podium.

:allears:

ThomasPaine posted:

What really gets me is that I genuinely don't understand why our politicians are so committed to everything being terrible forever.

Simple answer: All of the parties answer to capitalism. Our democracy is a charade.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Dec 7, 2023

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Remember that there are less than 400 MPs in parliament. There's plenty of positions to fill lower down from which the right people can be identified and the good ones can be blocked from the levers of power.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The political system is process that filters out people who want to make things better. If you have that kind of attitude you don't get into positions of actual power, you end up sitting on the back bench making hopeless symbolic motions.

If you do somehow get into power, the rest of the system closes in to block you, which is what you saw with corbyn. Ultimately no, the vast majority of people in politics do not want things to get better, they are ideologically committed to things that do not work but which they, personally, do not suffer from because they're landlords, they're millionaires, they're in the circles where personal advancement comes from toadying up to the super wealthy.

I don't think they care about the acclaim of the masses because fundamentally they I don't think they like them, they see them as something to be governed, to be used and directed, not as things that should have agency of their own. Which is a worldview that I think is very common among people with jobs that give them power over others. It is baked into the structure of every aspect of our society. The people below you can have views but ultimately you're the one making the decision. And you do not want them to be able to make decisions of their own.

That's why they don't like unions, they don't like protests, they don't like people choosing their own candidates, they don't like people just getting money from the welfare state without qualifiers on what they do and what they spend it on, and it's why you need a loving license for your gender and everyone needs ID cards and omnipresent surveillance. People aren't qualified to make decisions, that's what we're for.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Dec 7, 2023

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

By the time anyone is selectable to MP level, the whips will already have a folder of blackmail material on them.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

The slow ideological death of the Labour Party makes me very sad, but I suppose it's kinda funny that the guy who gets to put the final nail in the coffin is called Keir

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

The political system is process that filters out people who want to make things better. If you have that kind of attitude you don't get into positions of actual power, you end up sitting on the back bench making hopeless symbolic motions.

If you do somehow get into power, the rest of the system closes in to block you, which is what you saw with corbyn. Ultimately no, the vast majority of people in politics do not want things to get better, they are ideologically committed to things that do not work but which they, personally, do not suffer from because they're landlords, they're millionaires, they're in the circles where personal advancement comes from toadying up to the super wealthy.

I don't think they care about the acclaim of the masses because fundamentally they I don't think they like them, they see them as something to be governed, to be used and directed, not as things that should have agency of their own. Which is a worldview that I think is very common among people with jobs that give them power over others. It is baked into the structure of every aspect of our society. The people below you can have views but ultimately you're the one making the decision. And you do not want them to be able to make decisions of their own.

That's why they don't like unions, they don't like protests, they don't like people choosing their own candidates, they don't like people just getting money from the welfare state without qualifiers on what they do and what they spend it on, and it's why you need a loving license for your gender. People aren't qualified to make decisions, that's what we're for.

I don't think you're wrong, but I feel like something has changed in the neoliberal era. You look back at the twentieth century and you've got actual committed politicians arguing about ideology all over the place. But now it does just seem to be about who gets to sit in the fancy chair. I suppose if I'm being honest with myself I'd tie that all into the collapse of the USSR and the subsequent global hegemony of free market capitalism. As far as I can tell extraparliamentary movements are probably the only option, but the process of toppling established power structures is a huge gamble and generally an awful experience even if you win, so it's hardly something to look forward to. Not that the British public in 2023 even has remotely the level of class consciousness that would be needed for that anyway!

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

When pigfucker came back recently, didn’t someone confirm a lord can be PM? If Rishi is ousted, then maybe cometh the hour, cometh the man?

Has anyone checked to see if #DaveyCambo is trending?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I can't speak for how far back the tendency goes but I think for as long as I've been alive the focus of the british state has been exercising control first and foremost.

I would probably suggest that this has roots well back into the empire for places outside the home islands, but even then I would ask was there ever not a strong opposition in the state to things that empowered the common people? They locked up levelers, diggers, chartists, suffragettes after all. And hell not even the entire archipelago, the state was absolutely willing to treat people outside of a pretty small area of england that way too.

It's hard for me to see it as anything but a very old tradition of the british state. Perhaps what you might be observing in the recent past is the rare occasion where there is enough popular groundswell that the state can't get its way 100%.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Dec 7, 2023

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Sanford posted:

cometh the hour, cometh the man?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Sanford posted:

When pigfucker came back recently, didn’t someone confirm a lord can be PM? If Rishi is ousted, then maybe cometh the hour, cometh the man?

Has anyone checked to see if #DaveyCambo is trending?

The British Constitution is nonsense, you could be PM if they really decided it should be so. It's one of those things where technically appointing the PM comes from the Royal Prerogative & while that could be challenged in law & the point is that hasn't happened. You'd like to hope if the monarch actually acted on this poo poo & decided to unilaterally dissolve parliament or appoint someone of their choice as PM we'd end up throwing them away very quickly afterwards but it's Britain, who the gently caress knows?