Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

forkboy84 posted:

What, in the AEW Hell Thread? Ya think?

Just because this is the be negative about AEW thread doesn’t mean there can’t be conversation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

The_Rob posted:

Just because this is the be negative about AEW thread doesn’t mean there can’t be conversation.

Conversation about how AEW is very bad & you should take the time you would spend watching it to watch All Japan Pro Wrestling instead, yes.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

forkboy84 posted:

Conversation about how AEW is very bad & you should take the time you would spend watching it to watch All Japan Pro Wrestling instead, yes.

I watch all wrestling friend. Except wwe.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

The_Rob posted:

I watch all wrestling friend. Except wwe.

oh yeah? name an astronaut

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

fez_machine posted:

oh yeah? name an astronaut

Paul London

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The_Rob posted:

I just don’t get why Toni needs the story beat. She’s over as hell. The crowd is into her matches. I also thought the match was fun. I dunno I think you guys just enjoy making GBS threads on something. Like I don’t get how the wind up is any different from most wrestling moves. Dusty Rhodes bionic elbow or the peoples elbow or whatever. Sometimes you just allow a fun silly gimmick to be over. Also how is she worst in the ring. Her timing is good she’s not botching she still hits hard.

Do you not understand how subjective opinions work? Why do you need me to agree with you? The Dusty Elbow and the Peoples Elbow and the Worm and all those types of moves look dumb in a really awful way. I also would not want to see the Rock in AEW in 2023 because I would also think it was dumb comedy poo poo that should get off the TV and time given to a wrestler who can put on a good match and has an interesting gimmick.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Maybe I'm misunderstanding league tables or good booking but isn't having swerve vs mox now a little silly? Like, this is the de facto block finals but then we'll also each have a pointless match after it's decided because???

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

projecthalaxy posted:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding league tables or good booking but isn't having swerve vs mox now a little silly? Like, this is the de facto block finals but then we'll also each have a pointless match after it's decided because???

Unless i'm also reading it wrong it's only the finals if Swerve wins, If Moxley wins:
- Switchblade can still win the block by winning out and Swerve losing next week
- He can win the block by beating Jay next week regardless of what Swerve does against Rush

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Just like real sports where they cancel all the games between teams who aren’t going to be able to win their league outright once a clear winner is apparent

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

projecthalaxy posted:

I thought the same thing but apparently it's "top two scores fight each other after all the block matches", not "guy with the most points after all the block matches advances".

So we're probably just gonna get Swerve vs. Mox again in a couple weeks.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

MJeff posted:

I thought the same thing but apparently it's "top two scores fight each other after all the block matches", not "guy with the most points after all the block matches advances".

Hooray!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

projecthalaxy posted:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding league tables or good booking

i think you are

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

MJeff posted:

If you have to do a semi-final then Winner Block A vs Runner-Up Block B & vice versa. This isn't hard Tony you fool!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

forkboy84 posted:

If you have to do a semi-final then Winner Block A vs Runner-Up Block B & vice versa. This isn't hard Tony you fool!

That'd be kinda cool but I don't mind using intra-block semis to tell a nice little 2-part story.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Like, you're right, he should've just done that, but you look at the comments under a tweet where AEW just posts a simple block table and I think trying to understand the concept of "inter-block semi-finals" might actually kill some of these people.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I think the big problem with the semi-final mixing the blocks is that after the first match and you know who the first finalist is you've either revealed the winner of the second match or you've booked the finals to be a block rematch which seems even more unsatisfying.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

It's not.

Last time the G1 had Semi-Finals was 2009, & you have to go back to 2004 for the last time that the 2 finalists were from the same block, Tanahashi & Tenzan. I don't recall people being mad the finals were obvious or whatever, partially because the best wrestling booking often is obvious. If your booking relies on surprises then it's Russo tier bullshit. A good story doesn't need a surprising ending, it needs a satisfying one even if that's telegraphed. And because you can do things with that. Build the match as a response to the first meeting, where guys know each other better & have counters to their go to spots & all that jazz. Obviously this won't please Fed pilled weirdos who think that if Vince didn't come up with it or buy it then it's not worth acknowledging but who cares about these deeply odd individuals who only exist on social media?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

NJPW did it so it has to be good is not a very convincing argument. It would suck to have the tournament finals be a block rematch. More than it sucks having the semis be block rematches. Also makes the block full of losers where none of them can even get into the final look bad.

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

that's just your opinion

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Gumball Gumption posted:

NJPW did it so it has to be good is not a very convincing argument. It would suck to have the tournament finals be a block rematch. More than it sucks having the semis be block rematches. Also makes the block full of losers where none of them can even get into the final look bad.

So you don't book the finals to be a block rematch.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Gumball Gumption posted:

No, the argument isn't NJPW did it so it's good, the argument that if your wrestling revolves solely on surprises then it's a lovely wrestling show because if results aren't frequently obvious then you're probably not applying logic to the booking, instead going for the Attitude Era constant swerves garbage. And then I pointed to an example of when it happened & it didn't end the world. It's fair to compare this to similar tournaments in the past. I could compare it to the 2014 Fire Festival or 2016 Ikkitousen Strong Climb if for some reason you are sensitive about New Japan.

The people in the losing block only look bad if it's booked poorly. Which granted, we're talking about AEW here so sure, but I'm talking more in the Platonic Ideal of the round robin tournament. People can look good in defeat in wrestling. And anything can be poo poo if it's booked poorly. Doesn't mean it has to be. Semi-Finals being A1 vs B2 & B1 vs A2 is neither better nor worse than A1 vs A2 & B1 vs B2. Well, I have a personal preference to it because I think facing someone you've already beaten to get into the final seems silly, but ultimately it's whatever. It's a devise to put good matches in your eyes & if A1 & A2 are both great then whatever. Or if it's that much of an issue then just why bother with a semi-final in the first place? All are entirely valid with their own pros & cons.

You're entirely entitled to the opinion that "it would suck" but I don't find it a very convincing argument myself. Coz y'know, it's not an argument, it's an opinion.

Unlike the fact that AEW is bad & you should spend the time watching All Japan instead :hfive:

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

MJeff posted:

So you don't book the finals to be a block rematch.

That's impossible, tho.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Love the windup punch love the "you don't understand subjective opinion" response to someone posting their subjective opinion AEW hell thread stays winning

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

this tournament has had great matches which is unsurprising because AEW has great wrestlers, but Tony's booking is pissing me off. The people I like should win, you dweeby little poo poo!!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

looks like the hell thread has become the place for the stupidest posters on earth to come and get confused about how tournaments work 😔😔😔😔

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Quantum of Phallus posted:

looks like the hell thread has become the place for the stupidest posters on earth to come and get confused about how tournaments work 😔😔😔😔

We've moved on.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

MJeff posted:

We've moved on.

Thank you

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

dromal phrenia posted:

this tournament has had great matches which is unsurprising because AEW has great wrestlers, but Tony's booking is pissing me off. The people I like should win, you dweeby little poo poo!!

Aew is never recovering from failing to cater to my specific tastes

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Is everyone excite for face Beth Phoenix vs heel Nick Wayne's Mom

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

post hole digger posted:

Aew is never recovering from failing to cater to my specific tastes

loving. THIS. !!!!

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

MJeff posted:

Like, you're right, he should've just done that, but you look at the comments under a tweet where AEW just posts a simple block table and I think trying to understand the concept of "inter-block semi-finals" might actually kill some of these people.

More reason they should do that, then

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Gumball Gumption posted:

Rematch in the finals and semis isn't my preference, but I think there are specific cases when it can work, such as a draw or a really heated block match. War Dogs and TMDK just had a really heated block match in the World Tag League and I'd be okay with a rematch in the finals for that reason (admittedly WTL is not a very prestigious tourney).

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I think one year WTL was a single block so you had the same teams fight each other as a block match, fight each other in the finals, then fight each other for the tag titles at Wrestle Kingdom. That....certainly was a thing.

Edit: Nope, I think I'm wrong about that. The champions just missed on the finals, I guess.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

projecthalaxy posted:

Is everyone excite for face Beth Phoenix vs heel Nick Wayne's Mom

Once Christian makes out with Nick Wayne's mom next week? Yeah probably.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

anyone think the young bucks suck, are never around, and hide in their locker room when they do bother to show up? ✋

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

i love them i'm sorry

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

absence makes the heart grow fonderd to post too soon after your last post. This forum allows you to make one post every 10 seconds. You will be able to post in this forum at 12:13

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

JUNGLE BOY posted:

anyone think the young bucks suck, are never around, and hide in their locker room when they do bother to show up? ✋

👏

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I can listen to their themes on spotify and get approximately 93% of my excitement from a young bucks segment without then watching a California Hardys match

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

when was the last time they did a live promo in front of an aew audience?