Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Eat This Glob posted:

anyway, i just pick 4/5 and 5/5 on pretty much everything without thinking too much about it because my boss doesn't give a poo poo

This is the way. As far as these metrics are concerned I have supreme confidence in my own abilities, "impact", and value to the company, and I will happily argue with my boss if they think I'm overrating myself. gently caress negotiating myself out of the bigger bonus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Eat This Glob posted:

i just got an email yesterday saying it's evaluation time. my company makes us, the employee, do a self-evaluation first and then our bosses look at ours and counter with theirs. making us snitch on ourselves...ruthless

This is what my current job does and I loving hate evaluations like this so I just didn't fill it out at all this year. I get an auto reminder email from the evaluation software every couple weeks that I have outstanding tasks to perform. I delete the email and go on with my life.

We don't have a bonus so none of this poo poo matters to me. If my boss wants me to change something they are welcome to tell me whenever they want.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

HashtagGirlboss posted:

But the hard quotas on people who need to be ranked as underperforming is the wild part - apparently nearly a third of the company is absolutely miserable at their jobs (honestly believable but still)

Obviously the point of stack ranking is to usher people out of door but I can't help think that in an honest assessment of the people I know in my department that way more than 30% are inadequate to the task.

Eat This Glob posted:

i just got an email yesterday saying it's evaluation time. my company makes us, the employee, do a self-evaluation first and then our bosses look at ours and counter with theirs. making us snitch on ourselves...ruthless

I fill it out honestly and on stuff like "Enthusiasm" just share my honest assessment of "I am here because I'm paid to be here" with a 1 out of 3 or whatever. My boss always just ignores everything I write and gives me top scores and writes lies and turns it in. No one's said anything yet.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ClassActionFursuit posted:

Obviously the point of stack ranking is to usher people out of door but I can't help think that in an honest assessment of the people I know in my department that way more than 30% are inadequate to the task.

Remember that “pick 30% to tag as inadequate” doesn’t mean that the right people are picked.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I pick proficiencies (no I won't spell-check that) that have gently caress-all to do with my job and my boss knows gently caress-all about and put in 3/3 and it makes him groan but if the system allows it, it allows it :shrug:

Yeah, as a computer toucher, I think my skills in Photoshop, Swedish language, welding and chemistry should count. And by truck certificate should count at least triple. SQL? Never heard of it

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Orange Devil posted:

This is what my current job does and I loving hate evaluations like this so I just didn't fill it out at all this year. I get an auto reminder email from the evaluation software every couple weeks that I have outstanding tasks to perform. I delete the email and go on with my life.

We don't have a bonus so none of this poo poo matters to me. If my boss wants me to change something they are welcome to tell me whenever they want.

My job won't approve any raises or anything if the assessment isn't done so I have to do the stupid song and dance. We have to put a bunch of "SMART" goals at the beginning of the year which are rendered obsolete in the first quarter so at the end of the year I just fudge everything and say why what the thing I actually did instead was actually awesome. My bosses are chill so it's never been a problem.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I haven't done a meaningful PM in over ten years. it's all bullshit.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I haven't done a meaningful PM in over ten years. it's all bullshit.

Read this as BM, which made more sense since I don't know what a PM is here

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Piss Movement

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

RIP(M)

Anchor Wanker
May 14, 2015
I once wrote a "fully honest" PR thing in the company system, bc my boss was a goofball grifter and we'd yuck it up at review time. If you read it straight you'd think i was a misanthrope alcoholic but it was fine bc boss is cool.

Until bossman tossed himself from a lift and I became the boss, which meant my most recent PR went to the VP ops director :|

Fortunately VPops is *actually* a misanthrope alcoholic so he thought it was funny. I got a 12k raise.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Our management spends more time figuring out who wrote which anonymous PR than they do actually fixing things

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Business Gorillas posted:

Our management spends more time figuring out who wrote which anonymous PR than they do actually fixing things

You do know that they're not fixing things, they're breaking them, right? You're doing the right thing by bogging them down with pointless stuff so they don't have the time to insert themselves into actual work with their half baked ideas.

Kinda like how the Saudi bureaucracy has invented the whole future city crap to keep the king out of the actual governing.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Salvor_Hardin posted:

My job won't approve any raises or anything if the assessment isn't done so I have to do the stupid song and dance. We have to put a bunch of "SMART" goals at the beginning of the year which are rendered obsolete in the first quarter so at the end of the year I just fudge everything and say why what the thing I actually did instead was actually awesome. My bosses are chill so it's never been a problem.

I make one goal that is "perform assigned tasks" and then a couple like "build AI skills" or "embrace leadership opportunities".

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
You people are getting raises/bonuses?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

BonHair posted:

Kinda like how the Saudi bureaucracy has invented the whole future city crap to keep the king out of the actual governing.

Pretty sure the Tesla cybertruck is just a busybox for Elon

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

no, but my bosses are

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

PostNouveau posted:

I keep waiting for it to be revealed that it's actually the brainchild of Kimball Musk, to fulfil the prophecy:

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

PostNouveau posted:

I thought that too, until I heard that among the many things his companies are failing to deliver to NASA is a moon rover. Now I think the cybertruck was supposed to be a synergy thing, but instead they've got two completely hosed up projects.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Milo and POTUS posted:

someone on linkedin cold contacted me about a job writing for their company. their starting pay was $15k more than i was making, so i told my boss he could expect a call, as id like to use him for a reference.

about an hour later, his boss called me to ask what's up and what they were offering, and i said $15k more, and he said "we can't do that, but we can offer you $10k more and a year-end bonus" and i said "OK."

mind you, ive never been paid more nor asked to do less than iwas this spring, so i thought id better stick around because that other company (who didnt even give me a firm offer) might expext me to work a bunch and go to the office and poo poo and gently caress that, my life is gonna suck forever once this industry dies, so i better enjoy it now.

and that's the story of how i got a 15% raise this year with a (maybe?) bonus in the always lucrative and secure working world of print journalism in 2023

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

I was basically the only member of my department, so I was a bit worried when we hired my direct supervisor even though I had a major voice in picking who we hired.

Then he got me a solid raise in less than a month, so we're cool.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

Remember that “pick 30% to tag as inadequate” doesn’t mean that the right people are picked.

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not defending stack ranking at any level, I'm just saying that for most people the first impression is "Wow this is saying that x% of the team is dead weight before they even look at them" when it's literally everything else about it that wrong but in my experience this assumption isn't off base. I completely understand that the point of it isn't to evaluate anything.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

Even in my blue collar, non-union job I get COL raises and (very small) bonuses regularly.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

My company just didn't do a CoL adjustment this year and then put a freeze on all raises til April.

Trying to get out of there.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The trick to getting raises is earning enough to not need them.

Or collective bargaining. The majority of Danish workers get automatic adjustments yearly and possibly raises on top.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Space Skeleton posted:

My company just didn't do a CoL adjustment this year and then put a freeze on all raises til April.

Trying to get out of there.

my last county agency cut COLA during the financial crisis and just didn’t reinstate them for 13 years (well after I left). my current county agency just pays out “adjustments” in a lump sum of like 1500$ every few years.

otherwise they made a big deal about raising the floor on each job class but have compressed all promotional raises (cut 50-66%) and failed to implement any of the other education and experience bumps we were promised.

it’s funny because every local county ems agency was at crisis staffing, we implemented our “huge” 12% raises and immediately were flooded with applicants from across the nation.

within months like every regional agency was paying more, applicants completely dried up and we are back at crisis staffing :rubby:

didn’t see that coming, guys? just no second step?

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

BonHair posted:

The trick to getting raises is earning enough to not need them.

who let the ceo in here?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Eat This Glob posted:

someone on linkedin cold contacted me about a job writing for their company. their starting pay was $15k more than i was making, so i told my boss he could expect a call, as id like to use him for a reference.

about an hour later, his boss called me to ask what's up and what they were offering, and i said $15k more, and he said "we can't do that, but we can offer you $10k more and a year-end bonus" and i said "OK."

mind you, ive never been paid more nor asked to do less than iwas this spring, so i thought id better stick around because that other company (who didnt even give me a firm offer) might expext me to work a bunch and go to the office and poo poo and gently caress that, my life is gonna suck forever once this industry dies, so i better enjoy it now.

and that's the story of how i got a 15% raise this year with a (maybe?) bonus in the always lucrative and secure working world of print journalism in 2023

I more or less did this a couple years ago but without the offer. Just said I don't want to go out and interview and poo poo to get a raise so don't make me do that. They came back with 10% and a title bump.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

ClassActionFursuit posted:

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not defending stack ranking at any level, I'm just saying that for most people the first impression is "Wow this is saying that x% of the team is dead weight before they even look at them" when it's literally everything else about it that wrong but in my experience this assumption isn't off base. I completely understand that the point of it isn't to evaluate anything.

Also if you do a stacked ranking system it becomes disadvantageous to help your coworkers and actually the positive-EV move would be to discretely sabotage them.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Also if you do a stacked ranking system it becomes disadvantageous to help your coworkers and actually the positive-EV move would be to discretely sabotage them.

lmao yeah the ceo of Sears basically cratered the company multiple times by making it a libertarian dream company where departments all sabotaged eachother and directly competed for resources. It's how they wound up with the infamous 'dirt bikes and tools sale/cover' for the mother'a day edition of their catalog one year, because those departments outperformed outmanuevered the others.
Of course because of capitalism, he actually profitted each time he killed the company, while even managing to bankrupt the pension.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Coolness Averted posted:

lmao yeah the ceo of Sears basically cratered the company multiple times by making it a libertarian dream company where departments all sabotaged eachother and directly competed for resources. It's how they wound up with the infamous 'dirt bikes and tools sale/cover' for the mother'a day edition of their catalog one year, because those departments outperformed outmanuevered the others.
Of course because of capitalism, he actually profitted each time he killed the company, while even managing to bankrupt the pension.

They outright owned rather than leased a good deal of their real estate so when it came time to firesale the company there was a lot of value sitting there ready to cash out

In fact destroying the company to sell of the pieces might have been the plan, although that might be giving him way too much credit

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

I'm getting a pay cut because health insurance premiums went up for the exact same care.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

HashtagGirlboss posted:

They outright owned rather than leased a good deal of their real estate so when it came time to firesale the company there was a lot of value sitting there ready to cash out

In fact destroying the company to sell of the pieces might have been the plan, although that might be giving him way too much credit
Asset stripping absolutely was the plan, but he's a dyed in the wool Libertarian/Objectivist rear end in a top hat.
He was sued by other shareholders the most recent time he did this game because each time he's run the company into bankruptcy he's set himself up as the first secured creditor. He's also previously sold Sears assets to himself and then rented them back to the company, from real estate to even Sears own IP like craftsman and Kenmore brands.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

sears talk reminds me of this comment from metafilter from 2007 about how close sears was to being everything Amazon is and more

https://www.metafilter.com/62394/The-Record-Industrys-Decline#1742245

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Coolness Averted posted:

Asset stripping absolutely was the plan, but he's a dyed in the wool Libertarian/Objectivist rear end in a top hat.
He was sued by other shareholders the most recent time he did this game because each time he's run the company into bankruptcy he's set himself up as the first secured creditor. He's also previously sold Sears assets to himself and then rented them back to the company, from real estate to even Sears own IP like craftsman and Kenmore brands.

Best hedge fund grift right here.

-Boost earnings by selling the company's assets to my hedge fund for cheap, pay myself a yuuge bonus and dividends from the proceeds because the company is fat with cash this year
-Rent back those assets to the company at insane rates, whoops the company is losing money this year so all the employees need to tighten their belts. But my hedge fund is making bank, another huge bonus for me!
-Oh drat the company's in a death spiral, take it to bankruptcy and get a deal to pay me back first, whoops no money left for the pension fund we'll just get permission to default on that.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Coolness Averted posted:

Sears was basically an institution and he completely obliterated it it's loving wild. I used to like their store when I was a kid it's where I played mgs on a ps1 demo

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Coolness Averted posted:

So that's where the WeWork guy got the idea.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Milo and POTUS posted:

Sears was basically an institution and he completely obliterated it it's loving wild. I used to like their store when I was a kid it's where I played mgs on a ps1 demo

Yeah, and they were positioned so under competent leadership they absolutely could have rivaled Amazon, since they already had most of that infrastructure in place -with the added luxury of retail locations for pickup and a supply chain already in place. He even had a huge tech budget, but instead of investing in e-commerce integration he commissioned an internal social network -participation in which was mandatory.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Meanwhile in Poland
Maintenance company SPS successfully bids for the overhaul contract for trains made by a company called Newag, beating out Newag itself to get the contract. It carries out the first few overhauls fully to-spec, and to everybody's surprise, after being put back together the trains just do not start. After several dead ends, out of desperation someone at SPS googles "polish hackers" and they hire an infosec company to have a look.
What they find:

quote:

The numerical values 53.13845 and 17.99011 found in the computer code seemed familiar at first glance. It soon became apparent that these were GPS coordinates pointing to the vicinity of Bydgoszcz Główny Railway Station, specifically the PESA (another Polish train producer and maintenance center) site located next to it. Soon the coordinates of other maintenance centers that could carry out train repairs and maintenance in Poland were also found. Below we show the pseudo-code of the algorithm (the names of the variables or functions are given by the researchers for clarity – we do not know what the original names were):
code:
check1 = 53.13845 < lat && lat < 53.13882 && 17.99011 < long && long < 17.99837; 
check2 = 53.14453 < lat && lat < 53.14828 && 18.00428 < long && long < 18.00555; 
check3 = 52.17048 < lat && lat < 52.17736 && 21.53480 < long && long < 21.54437; 
check4 = 49.60336 < lat && lat < 49.60686 && 20.70073 < long && long < 20.70840 
        && (this->lock_function_test & 1); 
check5 = 53.10244 < lat && lat < 53.10406 && 18.07817 < long && long < 18.08243; 
check6 = 50.12608 < lat && lat < 50.12830 && 19.38411 < long && long < 19.38872; 
check7 = 52.77292 < lat && lat < 52.77551 && 18.22117 < long && long < 18.22724;
Coordinate pairs define the workshop areas. A condition has been written in the computer code to disable the ability to run a train if it spends at least 10 days in one of these workshops. One of the workshops belongs to Newag itself – but a different logical condition was defined for its coordinates, presumably for testing purposes.

Other surprises were soon discovered. Among them was the blocking of a train when one of its components is replaced (verified by its serial number). An option to undo the lockout was also discovered – this did not require setting flags at computer memory level, just the right sequence of button clicks in the cab and on the on-board computer screen. When news of the successful launch of the Impulse hit the media, the trains received a software update that removed this ‘fix’ option. On another train, a code was found instructing it to ‘break down’ after a million kilometres.

quote:

A rather funny situation was encountered on another train that refused to work on November 21, 2022, even though it was not in maintenance at the time. The computer reported that the compressor had failed, although the mechanics said that everything was fine with the compressor. Unfortunately, the train still did not raise the pantographs. Analysis of the computer code detected a condition forcing the failure, which sounded like this:
* if the day is greater than or equal to 21 and
* if the month is greater than or equal to 11 and
* if the year is greater than or equal to 2021
then report a compressor failure. The situation was funny because the train had been scheduled for servicing in November 2021 (the year before the breakdown), but the condition did not work then by coincidence. The train went into maintenance a while earlier, and was not put back into service until January 2022 – and the sophisticated logic condition described above no longer met this date. Presumably, it was the software developer’s lack of skill in constructing IFs that made it necessary to wait until November 21, 2022 for the scheduled failure.

quote:

Surprises lurked not only in the software of the computers. In one train set, researchers discovered a device signed as a “UDP<->CAN converter”, presumably enabling remote communication with the train. Removing it did not make anything stop working. Analysis showed that the on-board computer was sending lock status information to this device, and that the device itself was connected to a GSM modem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Goddamn perfidious junior programmers sabotaging the good intentions of their noble management!